Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

So I'm pretty much done putting together my mono-black devotion standard deck, just working on the sideboard a bit and still learning to play it properly.

This is the first real deck that I've put together that I didn't just buy as a pre-made deck and I certainly just took a decklist from someone else.

I'm trying to figure out what I should work on building next that would be more just for fun. If I'm working to build it over time and ideally I'm keeping the budget south of $100, what is a fun somewhat competitive archetype I should be looking at? I have a bunch of Theros & BotG to work with. If I were to do a two color deck w/ black I could borrow the thoughtseizes, hero's downfalls, and whatever else is in my monoblack deck but certainly open to any recommendations.

Black/X, budget, and lots of Theros block to work with? Brother you need to build RB Minotaurs. I think the only Minotaur in Standard that's priced >$1 is Reckoner (Mogis too, who isn't technically a Minotaur but is a good flavor addition to such a deck). Get a playset each of Ragemonger, Kragma Warcaller, Deathbellow Raider, Fanatic of Mogis, and Rageblood Shaman (and Boros Reckoner if you can get some), back them up with the black disruption/removal you have in your monoblack deck, and go from there. Felhide Spiritbinder as well perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

C-Euro posted:

Black/X, budget, and lots of Theros block to work with? Brother you need to build RB Minotaurs. I think the only Minotaur in Standard that's priced >$1 is Reckoner (Mogis too, who isn't technically a Minotaur but is a good flavor addition to such a deck). Get a playset each of Ragemonger, Kragma Warcaller, Deathbellow Raider, Fanatic of Mogis, and Rageblood Shaman (and Boros Reckoner if you can get some), back them up with the black disruption/removal you have in your monoblack deck, and go from there. Felhide Spiritbinder as well perhaps?

how does this look?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cow-blades/

I've got at least 1 mogis, and a lot of the rest of this already... just need some rageblood shaman's and a few other things.

looks fun!

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 17, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

If you want to build a Red-Black deck, aggro humans is probably a lot more reliable, and just as cheap.

4x Tormented Hero
4x Rakdos Cackler

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Spike Jester
4x Lightning Strike
4x Madcap Skills
2x Dreadbore

4x Mogis's Marauder
4x Xathrid Necromancer
4x some split between Exava, Rakdos Bloodwitch and Mogis, God of Slaughter, depending on your budget

4x Blood Crypt
swamps n' mountains

The only money cards are Blood Crypts which are a Modern staple anyway, and Mogis.

It does a good job of getting in under the WUB control decks before they can stabilize.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

If you want to build a Red-Black deck, aggro humans is probably a lot more reliable, and just as cheap.

This is definitely the best deck as far as cost:value. Turn 4 kills are possible, and turn 5 kills are common. Nothing is better than getting a UB control player down to 5 on turn 3, getting hit with a Supreme Verdict, and killing him with a Cackler + Mogis's Marauder you held back.

Plus you get plenty of time to get lunch between rounds, which usually last about 5 minutes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thinking about throwing together a G/W hexproof auras for fun. I'd do naya instead, but I don't have the necessary lands. Hopefully getting some temple gardens soon. Also don't have any Voices, and they are really pricey so I doubt I'll get any right now. Trying to work with budget so I can get other stuff. The idea right now:

4x Witchstalker
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Elvish mystic
4x Boon Satyr
2x Fiendslayer Paladin

3x Selesnya Charm

4x Ethereal Armor
4x Unflinching Courage

8x Forest
7x Plains
4x Temple Garden
4x Temple of Plenty

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

This is definitely the best deck as far as cost:value. Turn 4 kills are possible, and turn 5 kills are common. Nothing is better than getting a UB control player down to 5 on turn 3, getting hit with a Supreme Verdict, and killing him with a Cackler + Mogis's Marauder you held back.

Plus you get plenty of time to get lunch between rounds, which usually last about 5 minutes.

I just rebuilt it the other day and it seemed to to really well against control (especially when you side out 4x Mad Skills for 4x Skullcrack) but has trouble with the mostly-black decks where Mogis's Marauder doesn't get your damage through.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

I just rebuilt it the other day and it seemed to to really well against control (especially when you side out 4x Mad Skills for 4x Skullcrack) but has trouble with the mostly-black decks where Mogis's Marauder doesn't get your damage through.

I really never had any trouble with black. Black-red midrange is probably going to be the worst. Black devotion takes a few turns to even start playing the game. I've found that in the mirror or against another black or black/red deck, taking out Marauders and 1 or 2 other creatures for extra removal makes a huge difference. I don't have any Skullcracks because pretty much if you're at the point where it's useful, you've probably already lost.

Even against Maze's End Fog, you're hitting so hard, so fast, they usually can't keep up when they need to fog every turn. And a few turns in you can just stop dropping dudes because you can kill them in 2 turns with what you have. That way, if they find a Verdict or something, it's only a turn or 2 until you're putting the hurt back on them.

The only decks I have trouble against are decks that have Fiendslayers, because somehow those decks manage to drop him turn 3 every time. It's like they made that card for the sole purpose of screwing this deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Keep Burning Earth and Mogis in your sideboard for control. Getting four damage. Before they can drop soldier tokens is about what you need to push through.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So here is the almost final revision for my RWB murdergoats- http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-murder-build/ and I have 2 questions.

Should I play 2 plains or 2 scrylands and mizzium mortars or lightning strikes for main?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Trying to spitball ideas. What would you run in a Zirilian of the Claw deck?

I want to run the suite of Gauntlet of Power/Might/Lens/Flare ...

Also Dragon Mask and Erratic Portal for fun.

What dragons?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Samael posted:

So here is the almost final revision for my RWB murdergoats- http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-murder-build/ and I have 2 questions.

Should I play 2 plains or 2 scrylands and mizzium mortars or lightning strikes for main?

This is very similar to the build I'm running right now. I do not run Mortars as it underperforms pretty horribly for me.

I like Lightning Strike in the main deck because you can go right to the opponent's face with it, which is a huge advantage if you've got Purphoros and some token generation/recursion nonsense.

I play scrylands as well as 4x Godless Shrine, because I'm also running a singleton Ghost Daddy and a singleton Brimaz (for now)

I like to keep my amount of scry lands down around 2-3 for the total deck, since I hate drawing them if they aren't in my opening hand.

I'm also running a singleton Diabolic Tutor, which has been really nice with some of the singleton combo piece cards (Gather the Legion, Trading Post, Brimaz)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Gyshall posted:

This is very similar to the build I'm running right now. I do not run Mortars as it underperforms pretty horribly for me.

I like Lightning Strike in the main deck because you can go right to the opponent's face with it, which is a huge advantage if you've got Purphoros and some token generation/recursion nonsense.

I play scrylands as well as 4x Godless Shrine, because I'm also running a singleton Ghost Daddy and a singleton Brimaz (for now)

I like to keep my amount of scry lands down around 2-3 for the total deck, since I hate drawing them if they aren't in my opening hand.

I'm also running a singleton Diabolic Tutor, which has been really nice with some of the singleton combo piece cards (Gather the Legion, Trading Post, Brimaz)

How has obzedat and brimaz worked for you so far? I have been wanting to try them in the deck but brimaz costs so much on paper. :( I have been thinking of taking a copy of purphoros out for diabolic tutor, ill try that tonight. I'll SB mortars since orzhov has been reasonably dominant in my local meta. Have you ever thought of aurelia's fury for a finisher to tap down creatures/do the last amount of damage? Also, I can't see this deck running 12 shock lands :stare:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I just got back into constructed recently but have always been a fan of brewing vs playing whatever deck is the most dominant (mono black so fun!!!!!!!!!!)

Obzedat is really just an alternate kill condition that happens to synergize nicely with Purphoros. I'll probably end up removing him. I'm trying Brimaz because I opened him in a THS draft the other night, but I've always through he was a good fit for the deck.

Haven't tried Fury or Rakdo's Return, both of which would probably fit in nicely.

I usually play shock lands tapped anyway with this deck, since I usually just remove everything I can up until getting a Purphoros online.

Shock Lands can also be offset by a few Trading Post activations, or by Warleader's Helix, both of which are nice.

I can post the exact list when I get home, but I'm running 3x Purphoros, 1x Trading Post, 3x YP, 2x Tymaret. Again, Tutor is expensive but there is almost always something useful you can go get with it.

I've also been running Bile Blight/Drown in Sorrow for the aggro matchup. I don't like Anger of the Gods since Master of Waves dodges it, and Master of Waves is pretty prevalent in the MTGO meta.

The best part about adding White to Murdergoats is that Elspeth becomes a six mana, deal six damage put three power on the board with Purphoros out. She can also just blank GR monsters as well as the larger mono Black threats, which is nice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

I'll SB mortars since orzhov has been reasonably dominant in my local meta.

Why would you want to sideboard mortars with rampant Orzhov in your meta? Mortars is THE premier Blood Baron killer. And you can overload it to wipe a team of pack rats.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

En Fuego posted:

What dragons?

I posted my Zirilan list earlier in the thread: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zirilan-28-02-14-1/

I've updated it a little since posting it but it's mostly the same, I don't have access to the new list right now.

The single most important dragon is oddly enough Worldgorger Dragon, tutoring him in response to wipes or or Cyclonic Rift or whatever will win you a lot of games.

e: if you have money, Thundermaw Hellkite absolutely deserves a spot, but he's still stupid expensive on MODO

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

En Fuego posted:

What dragons?

I run scion of the ur-dragon, which is not quite the same, but I get tremendous use out of hellkite charger, balefire dragon, hoard-smelter dragon, dragon mage, and to a lesser extent scourge of valkas but only because I haven't had the opportunity to use him much so I don't know how well he does.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Thanks guys. I'm working in the bounce aspect, but I didn't think of World Gorger as a defense.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

En Fuego posted:

Thanks guys. I'm working in the bounce aspect, but I didn't think of World Gorger as a defense.

Changling Berserker is also a good way to save Zirilan or a random dragon.

VICTORY AT SEA
Oct 14, 2010
I came second at the Born of the Gods Gamesday with this midrangey white weenie deck.

W/u Epahara Midrange Aggro (standard)

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Precinct Captain
2 Deputy of Acquittals
4 Banisher Priest
4 Lyev Skyknight
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
3 Ephara, God of the Polis
2 Lavinia of the Tenth

2 Brave the Elements

1 Spear of Heliod
4 Detention Sphere

3 Mutavault
9 Plains
4 Azorius Guildgate
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Hallowed Fountain

Sideboard:

4 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Celestial Flare
3 Daxos (DAAAXOOOS)
4 Glare of Heresy

I came up against a lot of W/U control decks which I think is a weak matchup for this deck, but it seemed to keep coming through. Weak cards in that matchup are Banisher Priest and Imposing Sovereign and what was good was Mutavault, Deputy of Acquittals, Soldier of the Pantheon and Ephara. I'm looking to change the deck and the sideboard to be stronger against those sort of decks and am open to suggestions. Blood Baron and Stormbreath dragon both gave me massive problems, and Celestial Flare isn't cutting it against them, so that's another thing I need to work on.

What I'm looking to add is another Spear of Heliod, two more Deputy of Acquittals and a fourth Mutavault. I'll take away both Heliod, a Brave the Elements and a Plains. Sideboard is going look like this:

4 Spirit of the Labyrinth (drop him down after a Supreme Verdict to stop Sphinxes Rev)
4 Fiendslayer Paladin (boring card without much synergy, but he just wins the game against a lot of red decks so four are needed)
3 Celestial Flare (My only out against Blood Baron/Stormbreath Dragon)
2 Negate (to counter Sphinxes Rev and other problematic spells)
2 Acolytes Reward (really good against that R/w burn deck that's going around and is a nice two for one against white weenie decks)

For Blood Baron/Stormbreath Dragon I've thought about using Rapid Hybridisation, but unfortunately the 3/3 token it creates is big enough to brick wall most of my creatures, which I'd rather avoid. I'd be grateful for ideas and criticism, there's another gamesday type event in two weeks and I want to be better prepared for the hordes of W/U control that dominate the local meta.

VICTORY AT SEA fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 19, 2014

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I just got back into magic after having not seriously played the game at all since middle school (the last time I was a big collector was in 2003 or so, and the Avatars in prophecy were still the poo poo). I made this sort of retro deck using a combination of old cards from an Exodus Dominion deck I had, as well as new blue whites I bought recently. It worked, but I am trying to stay in the standard sets, despite mostly being a casual player. My aim is to have a deck legal and potential effective for FNM, should I choose to start going that route. I'm currently playing this for my "standard" deck. I realize that the deadeye navigators still need to come out.

That being said, I took the advice of both this thread and the regular MTG thread, and have been looking over u/w control decks to get ideas for what they like to toss into them. I think I'd like to work towards a mill deck like this. I've been liking mill, and think this is a more focused version of my current standard.

I'm still only a week into collecting again, so hopefully this isn't too bad given how new(ish) I am to magic. Also, if there are any decent blue or white cards that add effects in with mills, I'd like to know.

Edit: Fixed Link

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 19, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That link to the mill deck is broken but I never see any W/U mills, only B/U mills. W/U is almost always a control deck and is one of the more expensive decks to get all the right pieces for. You can probably make a B/U mill for pretty cheap but they rarely do too well past a casual level. They can be fun though, a friend runs a simic mill where the only two creatures are two consuming abberations and be only runs those so he can devour flesh himself and gain a bunch of life. The rest of the deck is pure control that uses mostly jace, memory adept and ashiok to mill.

Alternatively, you can make some good white weenie or R/B aggro decks for cheap that will score some wins. That's what a lot of people will suggest if youre getting back in and want to play at fnm.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That link to the mill deck is broken but I never see any W/U mills, only B/U mills. W/U is almost always a control deck and is one of the more expensive decks to get all the right pieces for. You can probably make a B/U mill for pretty cheap but they rarely do too well past a casual level. They can be fun though, a friend runs a simic mill where the only two creatures are two consuming abberations and be only runs those so he can devour flesh himself and gain a bunch of life. The rest of the deck is pure control that uses mostly jace, memory adept and ashiok to mill.

Alternatively, you can make some good white weenie or R/B aggro decks for cheap that will score some wins. That's what a lot of people will suggest if youre getting back in and want to play at fnm.

This link should work http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-white-control-mill-take-2/. I changed a card out after I posted it and didn't realize it broke the link. I'll definitely take a look into U/B. I was enjoying milling tonight, and think I want to go down that road. Can tri-color work at all?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Continuing on what mr. Dong above me said:
You probably don't want to play mill. It's not good, pretty much ever. If you're ok with playing a bad deck (I'm not trying to insult you; a lot of my modern decks are "bad," but they're so much fun that I don't care,) then have at it. UW control probably isn't something you want to get into when most of the cards will be losing half their value in a few months.

I really, really hate standard right now. I was never much of a fan, but now it's just terrible. Everyone I play with plays control or RG, no exceptions. I'd recommend getting into something cheaper, like he said. That way, if you end up bored of standard in 2 weeks, you won't have a huge investment into something you don't ever want to play. Rakdos Aggro was my first time playing aggro in almost 20 years and holy crap was I missing out on some fun.

You can look at my list which is more o less a standard list here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/551751

Almost the entire value of the deck is Blood Crypt and Thoughtseize. Mogises can easily be changed more Exava and another kill spell. Blood Crypts can be 2 of each basic without a huge loss. The Pain Seers can (and some people would argue should) be Rakdos Shred-Freaks.

If you're looking to play control without losing hundreds of $s in a few months, there's always something like turbofog Maze's End, which is also a ton of fun and practically worthless. I have a list on my Deckbox, but it's pretty customized for who I play with, and in some cases there are cards that just shouldn't be there, like Chandra.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
EDIT:^^^Also, standard isn't actually that terrible. Maybe your meta is that way, But I frequently see a lot of variety. Mono-U and Mono-B are still viable, Burn decks have been doing well lately, and there's always the just-below-tier-1 white-based heroic stuff and BW midrangey decks, plus Esper humans/ Esper beats.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with a UW mill strategy. In fact, I'd say it's better than trying to play UB mill and trying to mill your opponent out as fast as possible like an inefficient burn deck with Breaking//entering and the like. UW control with a few repeatable mill effects as the win condition is a fine strategy. Going into a third color for something like Nephalia Drownyard isn't out of the question either though.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 19, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

This link should work http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-white-control-mill-take-2/. I changed a card out after I posted it and didn't realize it broke the link. I'll definitely take a look into U/B. I was enjoying milling tonight, and think I want to go down that road. Can tri-color work at all?

I haven't seen any tri cor mills, probably because there isn't much benefit unless you wanted tl squeeze in some detention spheres and supreme verdicts to add to the control. Jace MA is good at milling but he's going to be a fat target so you have to have other options. Your cards now aren't really conducive to mill tbh- youve got a little control with the counters, some creatures, and only a handful of mill options. The enchant lands are a bad mill condition- milling shouldnt be conditional assuming your opponent does it to themselves. Worst case someone just wouldn't use that land unless they really needed it. There's way too many mill options in mixed B/U cards to not go that route. Though really, the only expensive cards for a U/B control mill are dual lands, ashiok and jace, which arent that bad. You could also go the phenax wall mill route instead, which shouldn't be too expensive either.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So you may or may not remember my 20 dollar G/W deck a few weeks back. I've been refining it (by dumping millions of dollars of cards into it) and I've reached an actually-pretty-okay point.

7 Forest
9 Plains
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Temple Garden

4 Elvish Mystic
3 Gods Willing

4 Selesnya Charm
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Voice of Resurgence (currently using Precinct Captain, replacing at nearest opportunity)

3 Eidolon of Countless Battles
3 Boon Satyr
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

2 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Advent of the Wurm

Sideboard:

2 Revoke Existence
2 Banisher Priest
2 Bramblecrush
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Unflinching Courage
3 Rootborn Defenses

(Revoke Existence is for gods and Ratchet Bombs. Banisher Priest is for non-Stormbreath big things. Bramblecrush is for planeswalkers. Mistcutters are for Esper control and MUD. Glare is for white weenie. UC is for RW and MUD. Rootborn Defenses are for Esper Control and RDW.)

----

I know G/W aggro has lost some of its potency since rotation, but is this actually effective? Can I justify dropping $150+ on 4 pieces of cardboard? Am I missing something obvious? Help :(

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I feel the same buddy. Shelling out for a playset of brimaz is something I really don't want to do. I have been trying with the white splash for MURDERGOATS around a month now and it really isn't pulling it's weight, I am way more often mana screwed rather than elspeth and assemble do enough work to justify the splash and brimaz is just too overhyped and overpriced right now. I think ill get some rakdos returns and make it much more control rather than aggressive. If you want to feel better then the value after rotation will probably be the same considering VoR is more played in modern than standard right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're going RBw murdergoats there's no way you can run a card that costs 1WW and expect to cast it anywhere remotely on curve. And a turn 6 Brimaz is way less effective than a turn 3 one. If you drop the black and just go straight RW you're going to have much fewer mana issues.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Jabor posted:

If you're going RBw murdergoats there's no way you can run a card that costs 1WW and expect to cast it anywhere remotely on curve. And a turn 6 Brimaz is way less effective than a turn 3 one. If you drop the black and just go straight RW you're going to have much fewer mana issues.

If the R/W god from journey to nyx helps the deck in some way then I will go W/R with precinct captain, purphoros, brimaz, new god and such, until then yeah having two colours is probably the best bet for consistency. Apart from that, I really want to try and make white devotion splashing red work as I feel that it is very underused in the meta and boros are my fav colours. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

VICTORY AT SEA posted:

I came second at the Born of the Gods Gamesday with this midrangey white weenie deck.

W/u Epahara Midrange Aggro (standard)

4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Precinct Captain
2 Deputy of Acquittals
4 Banisher Priest
4 Lyev Skyknight
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
3 Ephara, God of the Polis
2 Lavinia of the Tenth

2 Brave the Elements

1 Spear of Heliod
4 Detention Sphere

3 Mutavault
9 Plains
4 Azorius Guildgate
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Hallowed Fountain

Sideboard:

4 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Celestial Flare
3 Daxos (DAAAXOOOS)
4 Glare of Heresy

I came up against a lot of W/U control decks which I think is a weak matchup for this deck, but it seemed to keep coming through. Weak cards in that matchup are Banisher Priest and Imposing Sovereign and what was good was Mutavault, Deputy of Acquittals, Soldier of the Pantheon and Ephara. I'm looking to change the deck and the sideboard to be stronger against those sort of decks and am open to suggestions. Blood Baron and Stormbreath dragon both gave me massive problems, and Celestial Flare isn't cutting it against them, so that's another thing I need to work on.

What I'm looking to add is another Spear of Heliod, two more Deputy of Acquittals and a fourth Mutavault. I'll take away both Heliod, a Brave the Elements and a Plains. Sideboard is going look like this:

4 Spirit of the Labyrinth (drop him down after a Supreme Verdict to stop Sphinxes Rev)
4 Fiendslayer Paladin (boring card without much synergy, but he just wins the game against a lot of red decks so four are needed)
3 Celestial Flare (My only out against Blood Baron/Stormbreath Dragon)
2 Negate (to counter Sphinxes Rev and other problematic spells)
2 Acolytes Reward (really good against that R/w burn deck that's going around and is a nice two for one against white weenie decks)

For Blood Baron/Stormbreath Dragon I've thought about using Rapid Hybridisation, but unfortunately the 3/3 token it creates is big enough to brick wall most of my creatures, which I'd rather avoid. I'd be grateful for ideas and criticism, there's another gamesday type event in two weeks and I want to be better prepared for the hordes of W/U control that dominate the local meta.

Three words: "Brimaz, Kitty King"

I have a White-shell Ephara deck, too, and he is hilariously overpowered against any sort of agro strategy. He practically forces your opponent to two-for-one themselves if they want to get rid of him before he starts amassing a Kitty Army. (An army, I might add, that triggers Ephara basically every turn.)

My deck is far less splashed than yours. I only use the Fountains and Temples, and my only blue cards are 3 x Ephara and a grip of Detention Spheres, so I am much less worried about my mana base. Plus, I lean a bit more on the devotion strategy with my other 2 drops being Vanguards of Brimaz instead of Imposing Sovereign.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mef989 posted:

I've seen a few people claim they went 4-0 with Esper Mill. It is certainly possible.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Continuing on what mr. Dong above me said:
You probably don't want to play mill. It's not good, pretty much ever. If you're ok with playing a bad deck (I'm not trying to insult you; a lot of my modern decks are "bad," but they're so much fun that I don't care,) then have at it. UW control probably isn't something you want to get into when most of the cards will be losing half their value in a few months.

I really, really hate standard right now. I was never much of a fan, but now it's just terrible. Everyone I play with plays control or RG, no exceptions. I'd recommend getting into something cheaper, like he said. That way, if you end up bored of standard in 2 weeks, you won't have a huge investment into something you don't ever want to play. Rakdos Aggro was my first time playing aggro in almost 20 years and holy crap was I missing out on some fun.

You can look at my list which is more o less a standard list here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/551751

Almost the entire value of the deck is Blood Crypt and Thoughtseize. Mogises can easily be changed more Exava and another kill spell. Blood Crypts can be 2 of each basic without a huge loss. The Pain Seers can (and some people would argue should) be Rakdos Shred-Freaks.

If you're looking to play control without losing hundreds of $s in a few months, there's always something like turbofog Maze's End, which is also a ton of fun and practically worthless. I have a list on my Deckbox, but it's pretty customized for who I play with, and in some cases there are cards that just shouldn't be there, like Chandra.

I'm playing a similar list, Rakdos aggro has been kind of my pet deck for a long time but I've struggled to make it work consistently.
How well does Mogis work out? It seems like he's nothing more than steady shock-per-turn since you'll never actually get him online, though the shock-per-turn can probably get you over the "they're just barely in bolt range/now they've got non-trading blockers" hump.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Alright so I suck at Commander. I've been trying to get into it a lot since my partner and his friends absolutely adore it. I've had a Kemba deck that just didn't have any really good cards, then I bought the Naya precon and my partner made it a Mayael the Anima big-poo poo deck, but it never really clicked until now. He suggested I build a deck just with all my favorite cards and see how it panned out, and I realized my favorite card ever was Talrand, Sky Summoner (mostly owing to that being my favorite deck in DotP 2013 which basically got me into magic). So I built a Talrand deck and well...

Talrand "Fun Police" EDH

Our group has decks like Kaalia of the Vast (turn 4 Avacyn, yay...), Sharuum the Hegemon (nothing ever stays dead), and Rhys the Redeemed (jesus elves), and it always felt unfun that I wasn't interacting with any of these decks. It just always seems like a race to see who can do the most degenerate thing first and it's kind of boring. So with Talrand, I just wanted counterspells to keep everyone honest. Card draw too, since drawing lots of cards is the best feeling possible in Magic.

I'm still missing Counterspell and maybe some other blue Planeswalkers, but other than that I'm not sure what other good cards I might be missing out on. Maybe Coastal Piracy, since Bident of Thassa has proved to practically be a win-con here.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cactrot posted:

How well does Mogis work out? It seems like he's nothing more than steady shock-per-turn since you'll never actually get him online, though the shock-per-turn can probably get you over the "they're just barely in bolt range/now they've got non-trading blockers" hump.

Awesome. You know how sometimes you're at turn 5 and run out of gas? Or get hit by a topdecked Verdict after Thoughtseizing the only one they had? Mogis is the opposite of that. He makes sure you get those last few damage in, and doesn't care the rest. I've pretty quickly wiped the smug off the other guy who cast a turn 4 Verdict at 2 life with a Sphinx's Revelation in hand with my own turn 4 Mogis. He was forced to Sphinx for 1 to stay alive and died the next turn. He can actually pretty easily get online, as early as turn 4.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I had put together a large chunk of a Boros aggro deck right around when Theros dropped and then never got to play it. I revised the decklist, here's what I'm thinking of running:

Standard Boros Aggro

4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
3 Imposing Sovereign
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Banisher Priest

4 Shock
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
2 Warleader's Helix

2 Spear of Heliod

9 Plains
5 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard

3 Assemble the Legion
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
3 Last Breath
3 Revoke Existence
2 Spirit of the Labyrinth

I saw a LOT of B/x devotion- Pack Rats were in every game I played. How does this list look? The sideboard is where I'm least confident, but I've been out of the game long enough that I could definitely use some advice.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I would sideboard a couple of the fiendslayers for precinct captains personally. You might also be better off replacing the gorehouse chainwalkers with either daring skyjek or boros elite. Skyjeks have evasion for the same cmc, and dropping multiple boros elites on turns 1&2 can be overwhelming early on.

Also don't know if I'd keep the helixes in an aggro and if you play boros aggro you either need a cheaper burn like lightning strike to kill blockers or you need brave the elements. Most boros aggro you see doesn't run firedrinkers because brave the elements won't work with them, the red is usually a splash for boros charm and a little burn.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 19, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I think Firedrinker Satyr is rad, but the deck needs a ton more burn to really make him click; either drop him or go down to ~12 total creatures to make room for tons more burn, at which point it's admittingly a pretty different deck.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Got a win a box tournament coming up this weekend. Wanted to try something other than Bant control, so I brewed up Simic. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Deck: Simic

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
6 Forest
11 Island
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
1 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dissolve
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Syncopate
1 Urban Evolution
4 Ętherize

//Creatures
1 Progenitor Mimic
3 Prognostic Sphinx
4 Skylasher
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Tromokratis
1 Ętherling

//Sideboard
4 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Cyclonic Rift
4 Swan Song
4 Unravel the Ęther

Display deck statistics

Skylasher is in the main because my store is pretty thick with blue based decks. I'd rather keep it there instead of Mistcutter because I feel flashing it in in response to a devour flesh or let someone think I have a Syncopate on turn 2 to slow them down, feels better than the Mistcutter. Its definitely more big blue with harder to hit creatures.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Kiora's Follower seems like it should be in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Regarding the Heroic mono white deck I posted, I like the concept but it definitely needed more support (removal specifically). Not only that the rules for Silence was cleared up for me and I realized if protection is knocking off my enchants that is also no good.

Here is an adjusted B/W version:

Deck: W/B Heroic

//Lands
8 Plains
4 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Indestructibility