Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doctor Malaver posted:

OK we are in San Diego now. Can't say I love the place, but it's interesting and I like the people. :) How's this for a plan?

Saturday morning we drive to Anza-Borrego, take a walk there, afterwards go to LA to spend the night at my friend's. Optionally, Joshua Tree instead of A-B but A-B is closer and they look similar on pictures.

Sunday we drive to either Sequoia park or Death Valley and spend the night somewhere there. Monday we drive to either Zion or Grand Canyon. I'm pushing for Zion but gf is being indoctrinated by colleagues from work (also foreigners) that GC is a must-see. Two nights at either of those places.

Drive back to Las Vegas, two nights there and a flight to San Diego on Friday morning - flight back to Europe is Friday afternoon.

I don't like the long drive on Monday... I guess another option would be to fly from LA to Vegas and sacrifice Sequoia park / Death Valley for some comfort and an extra day on the later part of the trip.

Driving around in the emptiness might be cool since you're only going to do it once and then go back to Europe, rather than doing it daily on your commute or w/e.

Good call on the desert visits though, they should be super neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I've heard the wildflower blooms in death valley are once in a lifetime kind of experience. Is there a watch for when it happens?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The big spectacular blooms are a once in a lifetime experience because it happens about that rarely (last big one was in 1998). The 'watch?'

National Park Service posted:

Rain is Key
Deep soaking, gentle rain is essential for a desert floral display. To begin, a rainstorm of a half inch or more is needed to wash the protective coating off wildflower seeds and allow them to sprout. For plants to continue growing, rainstorms must come at evenly-spaced intervals throughout the winter and spring. The best blooms are triggered by an early, winter-type rainstorm in September or October, followed by an El Niño weather pattern that brings above average rainfall to the Desert Southwest.

So, given the Desert Southwest is in Apocryphal Drought and has been for several years, it won't be anytime soon. They did just get 2" of rain though thanks to this recent storm that managed to squeeze through, so you may see something if the winds die down for long enough.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 27, 2014

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

OK we are in San Diego now. Can't say I love the place, but it's interesting and I like the people. :) How's this for a plan?

Saturday morning we drive to Anza-Borrego, take a walk there, afterwards go to LA to spend the night at my friend's. Optionally, Joshua Tree instead of A-B but A-B is closer and they look similar on pictures.

Sunday we drive to either Sequoia park or Death Valley and spend the night somewhere there. Monday we drive to either Zion or Grand Canyon. I'm pushing for Zion but gf is being indoctrinated by colleagues from work (also foreigners) that GC is a must-see. Two nights at either of those places.

Drive back to Las Vegas, two nights there and a flight to San Diego on Friday morning - flight back to Europe is Friday afternoon.

I don't like the long drive on Monday... I guess another option would be to fly from LA to Vegas and sacrifice Sequoia park / Death Valley for some comfort and an extra day on the later part of the trip.
Zion is so much nicer than the Grand Canyon. I don't get why people can't see that. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ace8989 posted:

Zion is so much nicer than the Grand Canyon. I don't get why people can't see that. :colbert:

Thing about the Grand Canyon is that there isn't much to do besides just see it-- but holy poo poo, is it something to see. Seriously, everyone in America owes it to themselves to see it in person once before they die.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

ninjahedgehog posted:

Thing about the Grand Canyon is that there isn't much to do besides just see it-- but holy poo poo, is it something to see. Seriously, everyone in America owes it to themselves to see it in person once before they die.

That's true, but I'd say the same thing of Zion and Bryce Canyon both!

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_abdsp.html

Not much info out there but it sounds like there are a few wildflowers. Isn't there some bizarre crazy storm heading to SD this weekend? I'd double check on weather with an eye to flash flooding.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Doctor Malaver posted:

You arrived just in time for some pretty decent rainfall (well, decent for SD, anyways).

Go to someplace like Tavern on the Beach or something and get some nice local microbrews (if you drink, that is)

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
We're getting some rain in NorCal this week!

(It's still not enough)

Folsom Lake July 2011 vs Jan 2014.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Illuminado posted:

We're getting some rain in NorCal this week!

(It's still not enough)
Folsom Lake July 2011 vs Jan 2014.

What a loving depressing sight.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Glass of Milk posted:

You arrived just in time for some pretty decent rainfall (well, decent for SD, anyways).

Go to someplace like Tavern on the Beach or something and get some nice local microbrews (if you drink, that is)

I do but I'm not a connoisseur. We went to a shisha bar in Gartnet avenue and had some local stuff. Mine was a draft that had an orange taste - don't remember the name but it was good. Any recommendations for Thursday and Friday night? Other than restaurants and bars. Maybe an exhibition, a show, some strange sport...

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

I do but I'm not a connoisseur. We went to a shisha bar in Gartnet avenue and had some local stuff. Mine was a draft that had an orange taste - don't remember the name but it was good.

Orange Avenue Wit maybe?

Here's some things going on tomorrow:
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/events/2014/feb/28/

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Reader is probably the best source of events/shows.

Orange Ave Wit would be my guess as well, if it's a local brew.

http://web.utsandiego.com//news/entertainment/things-to-do/ has another list.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks, these links are great. We wanted to see a metal-mariachi concert but it was sold out. Then we switched to an improv comedy show, bought luchador masks at a luchador taco place, and finally went dancing a little at the gaslamp district. A good night.

My friend won't be in LA tonight so that part of the trip is out. Instead we have an extra day to drive around. The plan for today is to visit the Anza-Borrego and then drive north to spend the night somewhere near Sequoia and Death Valley parks. Any cheap and scenic options there? I see Ridgecrest on the map but it doesn't seem an interesting place.

Another scene we'd like to play out would be to visit a local diner on a dusty road... You know, tumbleweed, sign We're OPEN squeaking in the wind, and inside some seniors and the waitress whose name is LuAnne and she says that they have "The best darn cherry pie west of Pecos" or something like that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Have you considered skipping Death Valley and focusing on Sequoia and Kings Canyon area instead? It's gonna be a haul to get around the mountains and up to death valley. There are a few winter lodges in the area that might have an opening still as well.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Keyser S0ze posted:

Have you considered skipping Death Valley and focusing on Sequoia and Kings Canyon area instead? It's gonna be a haul to get around the mountains and up to death valley. There are a few winter lodges in the area that might have an opening still as well.

Seconding this.

I would be shocked if those lodges don't have a lot of cancellations due to the weather in the cities keeping people indoors as well.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

No, you think we should? These are all just lines on a map for me, I didn't even know we'd have to be climbing significantly up to death valley. I see the Sequoia park mentions tire chains which might be required. We don't have chains or snow boots so a desert seemed like a safer bet.

I know I sound like the stupidest and least informed traveler ever - the problem is that my partner is here on a business trip and I am working remotely, so between working and resting and actually doing stuff we have so little time to research surroundings. I really appreciate the help I'm getting in this thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

No, you think we should? These are all just lines on a map for me, I didn't even know we'd have to be climbing significantly up to death valley. I see the Sequoia park mentions tire chains which might be required. We don't have chains or snow boots so a desert seemed like a safer bet.

I know I sound like the stupidest and least informed traveler ever - the problem is that my partner is here on a business trip and I am working remotely, so between working and resting and actually doing stuff we have so little time to research surroundings. I really appreciate the help I'm getting in this thread.

You can't just drive over the mountains easily, there are few passes and they can be closed by snow. So you might have to end up circling around the mountains to get from Sequoia to Death Valley. I'd check road conditions and see what expected driving times are.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

I would pick either Sequoia or Death Valley. Sequoia is accessed via the California Central Valley and there isn't a quick route between it and Death Valley. You'll have no trouble with any of the mountain passes east of the Sierras that you might cross on the way to Death Valley (the Panamint range, for instance), but consider the Sierra Nevadas an impassible divide for your purposes. I don't know what conditions are like in Sequoia right now, but this is a great time of year to be in Death Valley. After Anza-Borrego you may have had enough desert, though. Don't stay in Ridgecrest unless you love methamphetamine and being depressed.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 3, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So how bad is the Tenderloin in SF. I'm currently in LA heading up there later on in the week, and just as I planning out the drive there and I figure out the motel is smack bang in the middle of it (on Ellis st, between Hyde and Larkin)

We booked and payed for it all already through a travel agent back home, so I guess we're stuck with it for 5 nights.

They do have a free shuttle to Fishermans Wharf and Union Square, and reading about it on the web just says there's a lot of harmless homeless around and just to be smart late at night so I guess it's not so bad?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Well how much do you like crack? If you're out late, I'd take a cab back to the hotel vs walking, but other than that you'll be fine.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I mean... it's a shithole, but during the daytime it'll be fine. In general the crime out there is drug, prostitution, and petty crime. All the murders happen in Bayview/Hunter's Point.

Basically, you'll see hobos, junkies, needles, and feces, but it'll be manageable. So you'll probably be safe, you'll just notice it's a lovely part of town.

quote:

there's a lot of harmless homeless around and just to be smart late at night so I guess it's not so bad?
Sounds like you know what's up already, so you're good to go.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Its at the edge (you're two blocks from the Lamborghini dealer). You'll be fine.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

For someone from the LA area, what does the Tenderloin most closely compare to? Gardena? Lawndale? Compton?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grand Prize Winner posted:

For someone from the LA area, what does the Tenderloin most closely compare to? Gardena? Lawndale? Compton?
Reseda

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, I wasn't too worried, we're not big late night partiers, and even then taxi prices here seem pretty reasonable.

Just when I looked it up on google maps the Tenderloin label is right next to the dot for the motel and a few bells rang from the basic research I did ages ago on SF. And I can deal with that sorta stuff fine in Sydney where I know what's going on where and I'm comfortable, but when it's some big scary place I've never been, I just needed some 3rd party reassurance.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Rudager posted:

and even then taxi prices here seem pretty reasonable.
Hah, but good luck finding one.
If you haven't already, consider signing up with a car service like Lyft, Uber, or Sidecar. They'll save you time getting around town. Just note that Uber in particular has "surge pricing" which causes prices to go up a lot on Satuday nights and stuff... so then you'll want a taxi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Skid row with gentrification.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Hog Obituary posted:

Hah, but good luck finding one.
If you haven't already, consider signing up with a car service like Lyft, Uber, or Sidecar. They'll save you time getting around town. Just note that Uber in particular has "surge pricing" which causes prices to go up a lot on Satuday nights and stuff... so then you'll want a taxi.

Thanks, I forgot about that, was looking at Uber before I left as I liked the idea of paying for everything at the tap of a button on my phone because I hate carrying cash around, and these days I get as good or better exchange rate on credit card payments even with the international transaction fee.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taxicabs all take credit cards. You can also get around the city just fine using MUNI, it's just significantly slower than taking a cab. Way cheaper though obviously. There's pretty much no place in the city more than maybe four blocks from a bus line, and no two points where you're forced to transfer more than twice (in most cases, you can get to where you're going with no more than one transfer). That changes at late night, but there's still Owl service so with some more walking and a lot more patience you can still get to where you need to be on public transit if you really need to.

The Tenderloin is a long and thin stretch of lovely neighborhood. You can approach from the north or south and you'll only walk through like two blocks of tranny prostitutes and hobos, and in many cases not even that much. It's kind of perpetuated by the long string of cheap hotels, many of which offer weekly rates. Despite the shabbiness and minor drug crime, though, it's not what I regard as an actually dangerous neighborhood: you're not going to get mugged at gunpoint or anything. Someone will probably offer you some dubious recreational opportunities which you should pass up, though.

Despite the poor choice of hotels, the Tenderloin is fairly central of a location. You'll be able to get to most of the typical tourist destinations from there pretty quickly, even on a bus.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Taxicabs are required to take credit cards, but they prefer cash so there is a chance that the cabbie will try to tell you that his credit card machine is broken when it comes time to pay. If he says that then tell him to try again because you don't have any cash. If it were actually broken then he should tell you when you get in.

Also seconding that the tenderloin isn't that bad if you aren't the type to be skeeved out by urban grit. Just don't go for a jog with your iPhone and wallet strapped to your arm at 3am or anything like that.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 3, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

withak posted:

Taxicabs are required to take credit cards, but they prefer cash so there is a chance that the cabbie will try to tell you that his credit card machine is broken when it comes time to pay. If he says that then tell him to try again because you don't have any cash.

I've never had that happen. Business travelers in SF are extremely common and many are required to use a credit card for cabs, so that they can expense the fare. Cabbies have to accept credit cards, and if one is refusing, tell him to call dispatch and have them process the fare.

If you're really extra cautious, just tell the cabbie when you get into the car that you'll be paying by credit card.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Taxicabs all take credit cards. You can also get around the city just fine using MUNI, it's just significantly slower than taking a cab. Way cheaper though obviously. There's pretty much no place in the city more than maybe four blocks from a bus line, and no two points where you're forced to transfer more than twice (in most cases, you can get to where you're going with no more than one transfer). That changes at late night, but there's still Owl service so with some more walking and a lot more patience you can still get to where you need to be on public transit if you really need to.

The Tenderloin is a long and thin stretch of lovely neighborhood. You can approach from the north or south and you'll only walk through like two blocks of tranny prostitutes and hobos, and in many cases not even that much. It's kind of perpetuated by the long string of cheap hotels, many of which offer weekly rates. Despite the shabbiness and minor drug crime, though, it's not what I regard as an actually dangerous neighborhood: you're not going to get mugged at gunpoint or anything. Someone will probably offer you some dubious recreational opportunities which you should pass up, though.

Despite the poor choice of hotels, the Tenderloin is fairly central of a location. You'll be able to get to most of the typical tourist destinations from there pretty quickly, even on a bus.

I actually find the Muni pretty good for what is almost entirely a bus system and it is pretty easy to navigate, at least in the more central areas, even for a tourist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I grew up using MUNI. My mom can't drive, so we went everywhere on the bus. It's been over a decade since I lived in san francisco, but I still navigate while driving in the city based on bus routes - like, my mental map is a series of streets and intersections that the busses use. Even though some of the lines have changed, which is confusing.

Back in my day, though, MUNI was often strictly better than driving (as in, both faster and cheaper) due to bad traffic and poor parking options at many destinations. I think a taxi is still probably faster (since you don't have to park) but obviously like 10 to 20 times more expensive.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

We overestimated our ability to get on the road early in the morning and to get from one location to another in time allotted by Google Maps. Plagued by a billion little problems and delays, we left hotel too late and halfway to the Anza-Borrego park we figured out we won't make it before sunset. So we turned north and spent the night in Riverside (thinking it was San Bernardino). The folks there told us that there are snow alerts for Sequoia park and besides it was too far (it wasn't until then that I understood that you can't approach the park from the east, from 395). Instead we went to Vegas with plans to go to Death Valley the next morning. We were late again of course so we went to Valley of Fire instead, which is closer.

I'm now in Williams, AZ - tomorrow we are going to the Grand Canyon, South rim. On Thursday we will head back to San Diego. I'll be alone in SD on Friday night so if anyone's up for a drink, let me know.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hollywood near Mann's.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I've never had that happen. Business travelers in SF are extremely common...
But so are tourists, and tourists are easier to spot and easier to scam. The only two times I've taken a cab in the SF area, both times I heard "oh the card machine's broken, oh I don't have change". Hope you're happy with a tip that's $2.19 then, because all I got is twenties and the fare is $57.81.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Dusseldorf posted:

Hollywood near Mann's.

Also kind of reminds me of Watts but a little nicer buildings.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I just wanted to drop in here and say how amazingly beautiful your state is! I can now check Big Sur off my bucket list. :) It was my first time seeing the Pacific, but it won't be my last... I have a thing for beaches with huge rocks and mist and Big Sur is already calling me back. <3

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Skid row, but with a lot more people living there, a lot more interesting stuff to do, and more drug dealers.

edit: Or maybe like Skid row and the area around Broadway in downtown LA combined...but with less Mexicans, and more drug dealers.

It's a neighborhood with a lot of cool restaurants and dive bars, a lot of immigrants from Asia and latin america, a lot of poor people, a lot of homeless people and addicts, a lot of drug dealers, a lot of cool architecture, historic apartment buildings and SROs, many of which are in poor condition and owned by slum lords. It's seeing some gentrification too, and there are an increasing number of hipster and yuppie types living there because of the relatively cheap rent for a central area in SF and/or because it's edgy and cool.

edit again: Here look around the tenderloin on Google streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/8...627655b!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.782799,-122.414037,3a,75y,357.03h,86.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sp7xheG1oaIkdIGgHhFf9mg!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.785802,-122.413133,3a,75y,84.98h,89.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sj4ultJtfiuHTOJMmH03FvQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.786519,-122.414797,3a,75y,211.21h,88.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snRXshIc-jS0yxGosnIUztA!2e0!6m1!1e1

edit yet again: The tenderloin is in many ways a cool place despite being a poor/rough area, but some people get overconfident and act like it's not a bad neighborhood at all because they're able to get a cheap hotel room, or walk through or get a drink and some food or whatever, and not get immediately raped and/or murdered upon stepping foot in the neighborhood. But don't forget that it's the type of neighborhood where stuff like this happens with some regularity: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/7-injured-in-S-F-drive-by-shooting-5343098.php

Rah! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

liz posted:

I just wanted to drop in here and say how amazingly beautiful your state is! I can now check Big Sur off my bucket list. :) It was my first time seeing the Pacific, but it won't be my last... I have a thing for beaches with huge rocks and mist and Big Sur is already calling me back. <3

Allow me to formally invite you to Humboldt County. We have beaches, a plethora of large rocks, and our share of fog as well.

Took this a few weeks ago at Trinidad Beach...the "super vivid" function on this camera does not mess around.

• Locked thread