Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chomp8645 posted:

Game of the Year.

I may not be the best strategist, or the best tactician, but hopefully I can make the other players laugh a few times before I get conquered by someone more competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But turkeys are good tactics. They are purpose-bred for God Slaying! Not even a pretender can get through that province. :black101:

Also, have you guys ever seen a pissed-off turkey in real life? The things are terrifying. They somehow become almost as large as a human, have sharp claws and can jump like a basketball player. Turkeys- The New Dinosaur

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Slaan posted:

But turkeys are good tactics. They are purpose-bred for God Slaying! Not even a pretender can get through that province. :black101:

In the hands of someone who has researched a few spells and knows how to script. Chances are those turkeys are just going to give some bane lord an obesity problem.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slaan posted:

That was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Although I liked grounding the Zmeys with Perpetual Storm.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Smerdyakov posted:

I dunno if it's changed, but I've had better luck with bloodfeast doing miraculous healing. The one thing that didn't seem to go away was feebleminded, of course I didn't cast it for more than 2 or 3 turns.
Wait how can you cast Blood Feast to deal with Feeblemind when the mage can't use their paths?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Wait how can you cast Blood Feast to deal with Feeblemind when the mage can't use their paths?

You can't!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I may not be the best strategist, or the best tactician, but hopefully I can make the other players laugh a few times before I get conquered by someone more competent.

Haha, I thought we had quite the good battle! Good enough that I had a hard time determining who came out on top in the end (I still don't know). Either way this war should be quite educational for both of us.

I think I really learned the value of surprise (and competent) flying units and I'm really lucky I got a flying commander from an event on like turn 5. Many turkeys were felled by Tengu blades. But I still lost the battle because gently caress Jags.

Grytorm
Jul 8, 2013
Hello. I might have asked this here before but is their any way to look at Gabriel Popes LP with all the pictures. The first 69 turns have no pictures.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Grytorm posted:

Hello. I might have asked this here before but is their any way to look at Gabriel Popes LP with all the pictures. The first 69 turns have no pictures.

maybe https://twitter.com/jawbroken/status/290762997901709312 I haven't tried

but probably not :smith:

Grytorm
Jul 8, 2013

That is such a shame. I originally joined this forum to read that. Then made two posts at maximum. Then left. I might comment a few times in a LP though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I really want to read the old dominions LP's but all the images are broken so what's the point.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Congrats to Flavah for winning the bizarre game of flute with one of the strangest maps ive ever played on.

A wraparound map where due to weird placement it was actually cut in 2 pieces making movement impossible without sailing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wow that's a very chaotic map indeed, looks like there'd be some river crossings in winter at least.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I've got two friends in a small mplayer game who are both emailing me that something wonky appears to be happening when they submit their turns. One says that for two turns thus far he's had orders not run by the server (once his orders failed after he tried to redo his turn, resulting in his units only using their orders pre-redo, another time his orders just didn't happen at all). I can see in our turntracker that they're marked as successfully submitting their turns, so they're not just failing to upload and stalling or anything.

Has anyone run into something like this before? Would appreciate any tips someone can give since it's kinda ruining the game for them.

edit: woops, scratch that linux-specific bit, one just said he played it on windows with the same problem. Would still appreciate if anyone has run into a similar problem as what I've described above.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 18, 2014

Grytorm
Jul 8, 2013
The nice thing about having a massive thread is it is not intimidating.

I had an idea for a mod nation. Probably replacing early era Oceania and the units would mostly be the same.
The main difference would be the mages.

The main mage would be a capital only Super Sirens, so have a land shape but no stealth.
Their paths would be 3W2D1N?(1.1 WDNA). Out of water they lose 3 Water and gain 3 Air
Then they would have regular sirens except bit better, with 2W that changes to 2 A on land
A kind of weaker version of the Capricorns, maybe heretics, with 2N1W?(1.1 NWAE)
A sea witch, a stealthy land bound mage recruitable in coastal provinces with 1D?(1.1 WD)
For sacreds instead of the Aphroi they would have capital only drowned sailors.

Grytorm fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 18, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

Wow that's a very chaotic map indeed, looks like there'd be some river crossings in winter at least.

Nope nothing at all they were completely cut off, while a cool looking map it did basically gently caress over a lot of nations, Pelagia was hit hardest because he had absolutely no room to expand and claim the sea without teleport and never successfully went on land ever. I didnt get any forests as asphodel so i only had my lovely chaff for ages. Ctis got the weird peninsulas to the south giving him barely any room as well while a ton of thrones were clustered up in mans part of the map. It basically meant that flavah got unlimited room to expand as no one actually bordered him until turn 40 or 50 or even later and from there just steamrolled everyone.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I got a really good start location but I probably would've had to fight Agartha really early on since I started in the bottom right corner and he started in the caves next to Pelagia but he wanted to invade the ocean instead of expand west and i was like, thats cool, and then he went AI!!

also I seriously had zero good counters vs Ashdod's E9 Anakite stacks and was losing tons of spidermen even fighting unblessed giants until I researched a good counter. Between Ashdod's invasion, AI Agartha breaking out with summons and Pelagia raiding me I was on pretty shaky ground for a while, although I have no idea what was going on to the west at that time

also Pelagia+Asphodel couldve maybe turned things around at the end if Pelagia started spamming armageddon earlier, without gold income a province advantage doesn't matter nearly as much and I was relying largely on human mages for summons/crafting, even the 2 armageddons near the end killed some really important dudes like my only astral/earth mage. in a world with 0 population I probably wouldn't have been able to compete with Asphodel's freespawn and Pelagia's wish spamming, otoh Asphodel and Man didn't have a lot of incentive to get on board with a big plan since armageddons wouldve doomed Man and I don't think Asphodel would have been able to compete with Pelagia's growing wish factory

here's the final map:

it looks like Pelagia and Agartha started 1 province apart but they actually started 2 provinces apart, it was a really weird map. Also, I just checked and the province marked Asphodel is actually Vanarus, Asphodel started further south

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah my capital is that forest fort right near Pelagias capital. As for my position i just wasnt getting the freespawn i needed and due to how dominion was spreading etc i was getting some lovely manikins in tiny numbers and that was it so i had to have dryads out constantly to round up what i could. In a scenario where you somehow got knocked out pelagia would be able to leverage his incredible research and water gem to pearl conversions once he got some dryland forts because i was having to throw most of my mages into my armise to do much and didnt have enough bodyguards to go around for the earth attacks. On top of that i need gold just as much as you do because i had a ton of expensive StR mages and they were eating at my income so i was broke the last 20 turns. I was using transformation for some of the pans to get rid of their upkeep but having a 5 HP giant hawk instead of 20 or so pan made me nervous in using those ones in battle.

I didnt see too much of your fight against Ashdod because he was winning with those sacreds and then i think threw it all away when he was sending them out with no bless casters so they got minced.

West wise it was relatively straight foward, Man ate Shinuyama, i ate Vanarus and we stayed at the same borders all game long, me and C'tis entered into an alliance against you and then they promptly began to stale i think it was 15 turns in a row and was never set AI. Then they came back and began to fight against me for whatever reason which was annoying as poo poo after 15 loving turns of not actually playing the game.

Bandar Log went AI on turn 3 for i presume absolutely no reason and was in the game till turn 90 so i hope i never see that player again.

I think in the end the main problem is that our part of the map was far far far too crowded so most everyone had little in the way of gold and there werent too many gem sites compared to the bonanza you seemed to have in your cap circle. Fun game though i learned a ton from watching your play due to my pseudo eyes of god.

e: Please edit that map to reflect Pelagia was actually the mighty PELGARTHA

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 18, 2014

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LordLeckie posted:

I didnt see too much of your fight against Ashdod because he was winning with those sacreds and then i think threw it all away when he was sending them out with no bless casters so they got minced.

he wasn't really trying to iirc, I kept assassinating his bless casters. Even without the bless nothing I had could kill Ahiman Anakites without mage backup, though. my spider riders had trouble hitting them at all and none of my troops were able to get through their armor, and my recruit anywhere mages couldn't do any appreciable damage since anakites are resistant to fire. I had one battle where I sent about 30 Black Hunters against 10 unblessed anakites I had stranded with an assassin and I only killed one, anakites are really cool

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

he wasn't really trying to iirc, I kept assassinating his bless casters. Even without the bless nothing I had could kill Ahiman Anakites without mage backup, though. my spider riders had trouble hitting them at all and none of my troops were able to get through their armor, and my recruit anywhere mages couldn't do any appreciable damage since anakites are resistant to fire. I had one battle where I sent about 30 Black Hunters against 10 unblessed anakites I had stranded with an assassin and I only killed one, anakites are really cool

Ah really i dont think i saw that one, for the most part i just remember you sacreds as being annoyingly efficient small raiding parties. The game was going really well for me until i threw away like what 200 gems worth of harvesters + gear at you with stupid predictions on my part and then that really really unlucky Manifestation cast which killed my Well of Misery Caster that i had stupidly not given bodyguards or some protective gear for that sort of situation. I also had one of the best possible thrones with Gold because it gave me desperately needed gold and magic diversity. That and overall my pretender design was just something fun rather than something super functional, i never felt safe using her outside my dom due to the atrocious HP.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
For some reason, in flute, agarthas capital site ended up on my capital and I was able to recruit their sacred cap only troops. Not that they were useful besides being slugs with magic weapons.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LordLeckie posted:

Congrats to Flavah for winning the bizarre game of flute with one of the strangest maps ive ever played on.

A wraparound map where due to weird placement it was actually cut in 2 pieces making movement impossible without sailing.

Thanks for showing the picture of my empire at it's high point. It was all downhill from there. Under a tide of spiders and fire arrows and oh god more spiders. A dead world would have been sweet release at that point. How many armageddons does it take to wipe out the population?

Oh yeah, and those guys who all drowned? They were guarding one of the two point thrones that I had. Another map where a lot the two point thrones were clustered around me (Ok, technically around Shin), this time I wasn't able to stealth grab the last two I needed for victory before it all went to spider-poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
KiddiePool

Atlantis, is there by any chance a kitchen sink you somehow left behind?

Since I've killed a lot more of your spies than you have of mine I can confidently say: no, no there isn't. Better hope you can make this quick before your neighbours notice. :black101:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

sullat posted:

Thanks for showing the picture of my empire at it's high point. It was all downhill from there. Under a tide of spiders and fire arrows and oh god more spiders. A dead world would have been sweet release at that point. How many armageddons does it take to wipe out the population?

Oh yeah, and those guys who all drowned? They were guarding one of the two point thrones that I had. Another map where a lot the two point thrones were clustered around me (Ok, technically around Shin), this time I wasn't able to stealth grab the last two I needed for victory before it all went to spider-poo poo.

Yeah throne placement was just bizzare, Iron throne was on that tiny 2 province spit of land at the bottom so i couldnt bring those adepts to fight unless they had S3 randoms for teleport, the golden throne i had was in a single connetion province that made it awkward to hold along with the swamp near my capital that made it impossible for me to expand in that direction. You had 4 of the thrones really close to you with a 5th near your borders with ctis.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I made a mistake in a nationgen game and forgot to script anyone in my army but my sacreds and blessers :shepicide:

edit:V Probably nothing, but it would have at least been less of a brutal wipe. I also forgot how fast not-caelum would be able to cross a map.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 19, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pomp posted:

I made a mistake in a nationgen game and forgot to script anyone in my army but my sacreds and blessers :shepicide:

What scripting could possibly have saved you there?

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 19, 2014

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

KiddiePool

Atlantis, is there by any chance a kitchen sink you somehow left behind?

Since I've killed a lot more of your spies than you have of mine I can confidently say: no, no there isn't. Better hope you can make this quick before your neighbours notice. :black101:

Silly goose. Thinking that my armies are the things that you need to worry about.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Run out of crossbow ammo? Enemy pretender still on the field? Attack :black101: (while your mages get off a successful paralyze somehow and then decide to horror mark it 15 times without scripting)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that's what Rangers of Ulm are for. They're pretty competent light infantry other than their lack of hats.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, Rangers of Ulm and Marignon crossbowmen both can act as blockers for themselves (or at least could in Dom3).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mari crossbowmen much less so since rangers have more hp, protection and much more damage. They hit like most other nations' two handed weapon dudes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Rangers are extremely the shiznit.

In Hypothetical Faction Opinion Seeking News, do you like your factions to be All Entirely Useful For Sure or do you like a couple of heavy infantry guys to bulk things out despite the fact you'll seldom if ever build them after turn two?

How do you feel about summonable but out-of-path sacred units like Man's Black Dogs or Caelum's Yazatas? Do you ever actually use them? Do you just like to see something blue in your spell research?

Thanks in advance!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
La Ulm just feels so fun and is actively one of the my favorite nations. Rangers are such a loving great unit that no matter what is going down I feel comfortable building rangers. They are a perfect little multipurpose toolbox kind of infantry that fits with anything. Whether you are slinging antimagic iron or overwhelming your foes with hordes of draculas having rangers around can only make things better.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

TGG posted:

La Ulm just feels so fun and is actively one of the my favorite nations. Rangers are such a loving great unit that no matter what is going down I feel comfortable building rangers. They are a perfect little multipurpose toolbox kind of infantry that fits with anything. Whether you are slinging antimagic iron or overwhelming your foes with hordes of draculas having rangers around can only make things better.

Do you mind sharing some of your thoughts on LA Ulm Pretender builds for getting your dracula factory going? It feels like everything I try to build is either horrible scales or conversely lacking in chassis power because I didn't want completely tanked scales. Assumptions of mine here being that you need minimum D3B3 on the Pretender, and Awake is considerably better than Dormant.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
jBreton, having options is always better than not having options. Unless the units are extraordinarily terrible, there will be a use for them.

Also, it helps if the non-path summons are in a path you might want on your pretender anyway.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

MagnumOpus posted:

and Awake is considerably better than Dormant.

Why do you think this would be?

You should be doing quite a lot in 12 turns to make up for the 3 and three-quarters worth of scales you miss out on, and I don't know what any conventional death+blood chassis for LA Ulm is going to be doing in the first 12 turns aside from making GBS threads around researching (you have recruit-anywheres from labs for that) or using up what should be your expansion parties as patrollers for bloodhunting. 12 turns of researching or bloodhunting that hurts income and expansion, versus 3 Order scales that let you jack up provinces with labs early on, help with bloodhunt unrest, and get rid of events that you don't even care about anyway - I know what I'm picking.

After that, we gotta check this magic. Now chances are your pretender is going to be doing 97% of the actual blood rituals since D2B2 doesn't get you much of the big stuff, so let's look at what the really awesome blood magic needs. Ritual of Five Gates, Heliophagus, Forces of Darkness and Blood Vortex are pretty awesome and we can take a Fountain of Blood with B7 to cast all of that without requiring the unique misc item Black Book of Secrets or any empowerment. Arch Devils are kind of cool too, they make great leader for demons and can be good thugs without much gear, let's pick up 2 fire also. Don't forget that 3 death so you can actually summon vampires, and we're good to go on enough magic to keep our pretender occupied for the whole game.

Dominion 7 is safe, we don't care too much for it being particularly high. Totalling it all up, we have 122 points left. Growth will help counteract population loss from bloodhunting and is a really loving awesome scale anyway so let's go with that.

So we end up with Dormant F2D3B7 Blood Fountain with 7 Dominion, 3 Order and 3 Growth. I'm tired so I might have made a mistake somewhere, but it really looks like it should give any LA Ulmer an enormous hard-on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd ditch the fire paths for more dominion, your vampires want lots of that so you can abuse their immortality. You already have ghoul commanders, members of the second tier and vampire counts to lead demons around.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

In Hypothetical Faction Opinion Seeking News, do you like your factions to be All Entirely Useful For Sure or do you like a couple of heavy infantry guys to bulk things out despite the fact you'll seldom if ever build them after turn two?

I don't understand, are you asking if all units within a given faction should be useful, or if it would be okay to have a faction focus on heavy infantry because that would (ostensibly) make it weaker? Either way the answers should be pretty obvious, because what possible reason could you have for making something deliberately useless?

Also, are heavy infantry bad or something? I feel like I'm missing something pretty major here.

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 20, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The way encumbrance works tends to make heavy infantry really bad at battles that last more than a few turns. Every 10 fatigue a unit picks up lowers his defense by one (in addition to the penalties on his heavy gear) and every 20 lowers attack. More fatigue also increases the chance of getting critically hit, which ignores most of his armor. So after fighting for a few turns a heavy troop is hitting less often, getting hit more often and those hits are ignoring his main advantage. Cavalry and undead are exempt from this, with cavalry taking a hit on their base encumbrance but not factoring in their gear at all and undead simply having no encumbrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

MagnumOpus posted:

Do you mind sharing some of your thoughts on LA Ulm Pretender builds for getting your dracula factory going? It feels like everything I try to build is either horrible scales or conversely lacking in chassis power because I didn't want completely tanked scales. Assumptions of mine here being that you need minimum D3B3 on the Pretender, and Awake is considerably better than Dormant.

Awake is not always better. Awake is better for nations who need their pretender for early expansion, and LA Ulm does not, your starting army itself is enough to destroy any indies. Prophetize your commander of Ulm and use your Ranger Commander to ferry him new Rangers each turn. Expand as fast as possible for that sweet gold. This will make people not like you, but rangers are really good at keeping you alive.

Disclaimer: I'm a newb who only has a couple games under my belt, but Ulm is my favorite nation. I'm sure there are multiple things you could do for builds, but my favorite pretender for Ulm is just a rainbow/scales. Great Sage with F1A1W2S4D3N2B3, Dom5O3P2C2G3L0D2. D3B3 is a must to summon your vampires, and W2 is a must (imo) to summon ice devils, one of your first thug chassis (which synergizes with your cold dom). F1 lets you (make fire brands and) boost to F2 to make Arch Devils, your other thug chassis/flaming arrows caster. V important since most people will get arrow fend to hard counter your rangers, and flaming arrows is immune to arrow fend. N2 lets you make rings of regeneration. Dom5 is kinda weak but you have no particular need to push your dom and you can bolster it with temples. Black Priests are inquisitors so they're really good at eliminating enemy candles.
O3/P2 (or P3) is a must because you will always be capped for gold and resources building your awesome troops. You'll be maxing out your forts each turn making rangers and infantry of ulm.
To get your blood economy going, I'll usually start throwing down labs in the provinces you select to BH in, mostly provs with about 8k pop, give or take. Make a few dudes of the second order and have them start blood hunting, switching over serial production to the 75 gold mage just for research. You'll make nothing but these dudes from like 4-5 lab provinces to bolster your research. When you get your 44 slaves (your pretender will have been awake long before this) make a vampire and send him to a lab prov to blood hunt. Keep making vampires, I like to have 4-5, one for each BH province. Make a human commander to command the freespawn the vampire makes and patrol. This makes vamps their own self-contained BH system, where they generate slaves and unrest and the freespawn they make patrols it away. Make Sanguine Dowsing rods for your BHing vamps and mages, and by now you'll be getting 100+ slaves each turn to turn on your thug-making factory, having your pretender summon demons to put all kinds of nice gear on.

• Locked thread