Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

That 1950s ad in the first panel seems like something you'd see in Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Tender Bender posted:

I don't understand... is Scary Heron from a fable or a well-known saying, or is it a children's character? Does it have any origin outside of last week's Mike du Jour? Why was there an entire week dedicated to the suspicious desires of a random hunched over bird, with the payoff being "He wants to eat a frog from a cereal box"? What the gently caress is happening?

i am a heron. i haev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Fingerpori

- We need taxi transportations to protect school children from the beasts!
- Will do!
(shirt: Wolf kills)

Peto means beast. Thanks to the t → *d consonant gradation, most of its inflections are of the form pedo-, such as pedoilta, from the beasts. I guess you can figure out the rest.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 18, 2014

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

That 1950s ad in the first panel seems like something you'd see in Fallout.

Wait, "Oh, Brother" isn't Fallout?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

So she updated her will on the 3.5 in floppies, then again onto optical, then external memory sticks, and then the cloud? And haven't you watched enough soap operas to know that makes you a prime murder target?

That's a five-and-a-quarter, whippersnapper.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Well

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ema Nymton posted:

Wait, "Oh, Brother" isn't Fallout?

"Supper is getting cold" is code for "the mutants will be out looking for flesh soon."

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Comics (February 28th 2007)

La Cucaracha

I know the baby must have been in the news but it just seems gauche as hecko to be doing these jokes so soon after Anna Nicole Smith died.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

That's a nasty bit of knife fighting there

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Well

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Darthemed posted:

I'm kind of staggered by the number of people who still have expectations for Mike du Jour.

It's underwhelming at best, but usually the weeks at least have some sort of extremely lame rhyme to them, or if not a rhyme, some sort of very bad joke that plays out every day. This had no jokes, no point, nothing at all other than "angry heron" whatever...

Oh my god, was that supposed to be a week of passive-aggressive Angry Birds jokes, because what the hell Lester

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

dear god

Mark Trail

Quincy

It appears to be starting a new storyline, so I'm going to start posting Buz Sawyer. Buz was a Navy pilot, but he's currently working as an oil company troubleshooter; the last storyline saw him doing something in some ill-defined Soviet state. Christy here is his wife.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 18, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

A good number of Brooke's readers are blind. The rest of them ended up with hairy palms.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Translating, the hidden art.

poo poo THEY'RE ON TO US :tinfoil:

Say what you will, but this is paleo-dieting that I can get behind.

;-*

Mister Beeg posted:

Before "Rose is Rose", Pat Brady did a strip called "Graves Inc."

It's absolutely NOTHING like "Rose is Rose". The complete opposite.

Jesus, you weren't kidding, either.

Conspiracy Frog wouldn't need to ask. :colbert:

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Comic Strip Megathread XV: Holy saints, you've bitched it now!

How'd she keep her skirt in place during that cartwheel? Is she a robot and it's actually a part of her body or something? :iiam: (Also, I guess "marketing" is a term for shopping?)

"Hauptmann Kronjuwel"??? :psyduck:

Jim's Journal

Took most of my living years to realize people who ask these questions aren't really interested in the answers. Still can't help thinking over an answer, just the same.

Johnny Hazard

"Friends like these", eh?

Krazy Kat

The relationship chart for this strip must look like a kindergartener's doodle.

Classic Mandrake

Foolproof!

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

Poor dumb fool kid... :smith:

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

It appears to be starting a new storyline, so I'm going to start posting Buz Sawyer. Buz was a Navy pilot, but he's currently working as an oil company troubleshooter; the last storyline saw him doing something in some ill-defined Soviet state. Christy here is his wife.

"Marketing" meaning grocery shopping is one of those weird language changes that I just love. Characters in Agatha Christie books talk about going into the village to do their marketing, and I don't know why it's so adorable but it just is. It's like all those gay knights and the gay music in Prince Valiant. And proper young ladies talking about how many young men made love to them at the dance last night, to describe polite flirting.

I wonder what words we use now that will be hilarious to future readers who use them to mean something completely different.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I take it someone else got dibs on the picnic table?

Retail

Marla still wears a watch? Or alternatively, when has Marla ever worn a watch?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

How did Skip ever survive before he got any robots? Even when his parents were around in the early years they were always in another room. He didn't get Bleeker until he was 10, and he bought Karl on a whim at a robotics convention a few months after that.

Dustin

So Ed doesn't do much actual work and has a lot of spare time to waste on hobbies?

On the Fastrack

Please let that be the end of that line of conversation.

Safe Havens

That's a BS tu quoque accusation since Samantha herself didn't partake in or derive any benefit from dodos' extinction. And she personally brought them back from extinction in the first place.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My dad told me about how he read this as a kid, so I'm pretty interested to see it!

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Ah, there you are. I've been wondering where you'd gotten to. :)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

That frame with Screaming Dan was something I could not pass up. Fill in your own lettering!

[edit to add a Dan with no speech bubble.]

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 18, 2014

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Geech probably had a lot of 39th birthdays.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

tiistai posted:

Fok_It

"The eggs" are what Finns call the balls. I wanted to come up with a replacement pun in the same vein but... I got nothing.

Also, if you're wondering what the comic is about, last week spring came early. It was like 10°C here and no snow in sight... until it dropped back to -5°C and light snow during the weekend.

Replace the second "eggs" with huevos, since Spanish uses the same term as Finns and the idiom has been borrowed into English (at least in areas with lots of Spanish speakers like the Southwest).

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Ballard Street

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUh85A4M4Ds

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Midnight Moth posted:

That's a BS tu quoque accusation since Samantha herself didn't partake in or derive any benefit from dodos' extinction. And she personally brought them back from extinction in the first place.

The unextincted dodos in the Thursday Next series are much better (and I like the doubly fictional primadonna dodo on loan from Alice in Wonderland in the 5th book)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Jason Smith is Andy Sipowicz and I'll not be convinced otherwise. :allears:

Quincy

Dames! Office Hours

Buz Sawyer

The blonde is a dame Buz was paired up with during his Soviet sojourn. They became close.

Aatrek

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

What a touching scene, the reunited couple sharing a kiss next to the Gigantic Lady Head Monument.

:vince:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarousBertha posted:

Replace the second "eggs" with huevos, since Spanish uses the same term as Finns and the idiom has been borrowed into English (at least in areas with lots of Spanish speakers like the Southwest).

I was thinking you could just go the non-testicular route and say that you've got the bird's nest egg. :shobon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

Beetle Bailey

Blondie

Hi And Lois

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tiggum posted:

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

Yeah, Pete, it didn't exactly go well for May the last time you revealed to the world you were Spider-Man, now did it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_It

Welcome to Finnish alcohol politics

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

Aunt May has never looked more like an actual mummy.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Welp, they couldn't get over it.

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Marla still wears a watch? Or alternatively, when has Marla ever worn a watch?
This reminds me of the first year I worked in retail. Somebody phoned at like five or six to shutdown and asked for closing times, then polled me on if he could make it. Given he was something like four miles+ off I politely warned him I wasn't sure he could, as my boss tended to be pretty prompt about shutting the building. He was slightly discouraged by this, but he said he'd try anyways.
Well, we had someone hold up the line for a while and so we stayed open like three minutes past, so the guy made it in... and then he went on a thirty-second bout of furious, bug-eyed psychosis where he said he'd never been talked to so rudely in his life before and he couldn't believe the nerve, how do you let your employees treat people like that, I've been cottaging up here for thirty years and I've never been spoken to this way, and on and on and on and.
He was buying a single stick of butter. I still have no idea what made him want that butter so much, let alone what the hell he retconned our conversation into.

Tiggum posted:

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

No matter how hard modern writers and artists try to make Aunt May not-this, something always brings out that desiccated chin. It's like water dripping through the ceiling.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 18, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Just settle down, Jane. Just because he's a hetero male doesn't mean he's Satan incarnate.

Non Sequitur

bitcoins_are_hilarious.jpg

Heavenly Nostrils

:iceburn: :v:

Kliban's Cats

Not sure what's happened, or about to happen here. :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/18/2003

Gonna do it... yep... :ughh:

Zits

Well, be more specific next time!

drat, that's got to be, like, a solid bar of steel

Kevin & Kell

Bleh. Dumb.

Nemi

Grimm! You should know better by now. Actually, I kind of like the dress. It would work well with those boots right there. :)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Oh Aunt May, you card.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Mark Trail

Jason Smith is Andy Sipowicz and I'll not be convinced otherwise. :allears:

Jason is mean :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

... he said he'd never been talked to so rudely in his life before and he couldn't believe the nerve, how do you let your employees treat people like that, I've been cottaging up here for thirty years and I've never been spoken to this way, and on and on and on and.
He was buying a single stick of butter. I still have no idea what made him want that butter so much

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottaging ??

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Exactly where my mind went first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac should just eat the filled ones.

The Creeps continues the theme.

• Locked thread