Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Crossposting from PI. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with a dog who is starting to show signs of aggression toward children? We have a small dog (15 pounds) who used to be great with kids, but since my brothers have come to live with us he's started pouncing on them without warning and occasionally nipping at the bottom of their trousers. It's totally unprompted and they aren't instigating or being rough with him.

We were out of town recently and left the dog with a professional dog sitter, and he did the same to her kids. He used to be very affectionate toward her daughters, and she said it was worrying behavior. He's never bitten anyone, but we've got our first baby on the way so are extra keen to stop this in its tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have an older dog that has shown signs of uninstigated aggression and has killed another pet. We were going to have her put down because she is old and is showing signs of dementia, but our vet wouldn't unless we spent thousands of dollars trying to train it out of her first. She now has her own fenced in area of the backyard with a nice all seasons doghouse and we're sort of just hoping she dies soon. She's all grey and is in her teens (not sure about her exact age since we got her from the pound) but is still as spry as she was when she was younger. She gets full yard time, but doesn't really enjoy playing with us. She spends it sniffing around the yard and chasing our other dog around. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

Crossposting from PI. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with a dog who is starting to show signs of aggression toward children? We have a small dog (15 pounds) who used to be great with kids, but since my brothers have come to live with us he's started pouncing on them without warning and occasionally nipping at the bottom of their trousers. It's totally unprompted and they aren't instigating or being rough with him.

We were out of town recently and left the dog with a professional dog sitter, and he did the same to her kids. He used to be very affectionate toward her daughters, and she said it was worrying behavior. He's never bitten anyone, but we've got our first baby on the way so are extra keen to stop this in its tracks.

Do you have a spare place in the home that the dog could have as his place only? Maybe an den/office where the kids don't really go and the door could be closed and a doggy door installed? He may just be getting all strung out on all this constant activity and need a place to go chill out. Even if the kids aren't being excited towards the dog, that is still a big change in his environment. Even a doggy door into a closet in one of the bedrooms and toss a battery powered night light in there.

Also, MAKE SURE the kids know when the dog is starting to show signs of stress. Really look it up online and educate yourself and the kids so that it's not without warning. Dogs show signs that they're getting tired of what's going on long before they bite or nip. You may need to supervise interaction between the kids and the dog for a while and remove the dog OR the kids when he's starting to show signs of stress. "Ok, leave Skippy alone because he's getting cranky".

It really seems to me (based on my own experiences with a small heel nippy dog) is the dog is tired of all the noise and running about and trying to get the kids to chill out. Our roommate's dog (before he moved out) would do the same if you shuffled your feet, wore pants with legs that were too wide, or ran around and made too much nose. She would nip at our other roommate's kids until they walked quietly through the part of the room she was in.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'd check out http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com . I read a lot from there when we were expecting.

The main thing I took away was to watch the dog for signs of stress and do NOT punish the dog for things like growling. If you do that, you take away the warning and then you get "he just bit him out of nowhere!" that people spout out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If your dog killed another pet already it's completely ethical to put it down if it has dementia especially. If your vet won't do it another one will. I think it's even animal control's policy to put down an animal that kills another domesticated animal in most cases. Unless you're talking about it got into the goldfish bowl or something.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
My two year old daughter knows when she has to poop and will tell us sometimes and let us get her on the potty and she will poop after some trepidation but when she has to pee and is on the potty will start wailing. I'm pretty sure she's just afraid for some reason but I'm not sure how to get her more comfortable. We read books to her about potty training while she is on the potty and we let her pretend to wipe and even watch us pee and wash our hands and everything but nothing seems to help her chill out and pee. Is this as weird as I think it is? I'd really like to get her out of diapers before I think about having a second kid but we haven't made any progress in a month because of this.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Not weird at all. Potty training is a process and it just takes time. Sometimes lots of time. She's just working it out and not ready to move forward. Encourage and be positive, but don't push her--that will backfire on you. At first, I wanted Tim potty trained before I had another kid too; that didn't happen. We just figured it was better to (attempt) and space them how we wanted, and not place any onus on Tim to do anything. He was just shy of three when Liam was born, and in pullups and daytime pee trained pretty well. It was another year before he got his pooping worked out. So, I've bought diapers and/or pullups now for almost 6 straight years. ;) Liam is getting there; the end is nigh.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks so much for the stairway gate recommendations! A couple of these look like they will work well. It's been difficult to decide on something that is both secure and looks not too terrible - it's going to be a permanent fixture in our house for the next 2-3 years.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
Not a dog issue but I'm currently looking at make some hard decisions with my cat. He's fixed, indoor, vet says he's healthy.

He's normally very affectionate and good with my daughter, but very very cat aggressive. In the past he's attacked my husband and I very badly because we (stupidly) tried to stop him from killing other cats when he managed to run outside. My husband had to go to the hospital and still doesn't have full use of his wrist because of the tendon damage.

We've gotten better at making sure he doesn't get out but he still gets very angry if he sees another cat out the window and attacks anyone nearby. None of the shelters or rescue nearby will take him because of the aggression issues. I haven't had any luck rehoming him privately. I knew it was a problem but he really is very sweet 99% of the time so I didn't have the heart to do anything.

Recently he attacked my daughter because she was crawling nearby when he saw a vat out the window. She didn't touch him or anything he just gets so enraged when he sees a cat he redirects the aggression on anyone close. My husband got there fast and luckily the cat only had time to scratch her face before he threw him off and he missed her eyes altogether.

So now I'm looking at euthanizing him because obviously my daughter isn't safe, and I feel so guilty because I knew something like this would happen but I've had him for years and couldn't bring myself to do it before he attacked her. I'm still hoping I can rehome him but I know the longer I keep him the higher of a chance he'll attack my daughter again. I'm just so torn I haven't been able to bring myself to call the vet yet.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Can't you find a way to keep him from looking out the window?

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I covered the windows in bubble wrap and I can't see out very well but he can still tell there's a cat out there. We tried covering the windows with blankets in the past but he just tore at them until they came down. I can't do anything very permanent or use nails because I'm renting. If there are other things I could try I'd appreciate the suggestions.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

tse1618 posted:

I covered the windows in bubble wrap and I can't see out very well but he can still tell there's a cat out there. We tried covering the windows with blankets in the past but he just tore at them until they came down. I can't do anything very permanent or use nails because I'm renting. If there are other things I could try I'd appreciate the suggestions.

After multiple attacks, especially considering the severity of your husband's injury, I think it's time to get that cat out of your house. I'm sorry. The amount of vigilance you'd have to maintain just isn't reasonable, and it seems that even with vigilance your cat could seriously injure your child.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

tse1618 posted:

You can get really dark or mirrored window film from the car parts store, or there is "stained glass" style films that are sold at big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Both apply with static or soapy water and can be peeled/gently scraped off when you move.

But, I agree that you should probably look for a rescue or someone else that can take your cat. You can't risk that level of injury to your family any longer.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I'll check out the window film and see if I think it'll work, thanks.

When I posted about this before on a more pet oriented forum I was told I'm a terrible pet owner and I should never own another animal again because when you adopt a pet its for life, not until its a "nuisance". So I feel like a bad cat owner because I like I said I can't find a rescue or anyone to take him. But keeping him in the house still I feel like a bad mother.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

tse1618 posted:

When I posted about this before on a more pet oriented forum I was told I'm a terrible pet owner and I should never own another animal again because when you adopt a pet its for life, not until its a "nuisance". So I feel like a bad cat owner because I like I said I can't find a rescue or anyone to take him. But keeping him in the house still I feel like a bad mother.

People like that are contributing to a lovely culture where people solve their unwanted animal issues by ditching cats and dogs on highways. I had to surrender a Bengal cat because of issues with my son. The cat wasn't aggressive, but my son made her anxious and obsessive, and I tried to work with that animal to resolve it for three years. Even with that, the people at the rescue treated me like human garbage.

Drop the guilt. You're trying to resolve this in an appropriate manner.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's too bad we can't all child safe cats :(

She likes to head butt them if you put them close.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

tse1618 posted:

I know so well how tempting it is to put off having to do something sad and difficult (I do it ALL THE TIME), but while having to have a beloved pet put down is super hard, think about how awful you'd feel if something happened to your child. I really feel for you, and I hope you find someone to take him.

(The cat, not your kid, obviously)

(Though rehoming the kid instead of the cat would certainly please the pet people!)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pet people can be crazy. I've seen people unjokingly say "Well the pet was there first!"

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
It's a shame, but how happy is that cat if it's constantly stressing out about cats outside? Sometimes it's okay to worry more about the safety of your child first.

And you all have encountered some pretty lovely rescues. When I contacted the rescue I got my cats from about rehoming one because she was clearly not happy around my children I didn't get any judgement. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I think even Pet Island would agree with you at this point.

Is there no bedroom or other segregated space that the cat could live in? Not ideal of course, but better than a cage at a shelter - at least until you could (ideally) find a home for him yourself.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
The only room he could be shut in is the bathroom.

And the problem is there is no cage for a shelter for him. I've called the ones in my area and none of them will take him because they don't want to risk injury to their staff and volunteers. If I could have given him to a shelter or rescue I would have already. I haven't yet put up a free cat ad in Craigslist, I'm too afraid of what some person off Craigslist might do to him, but I did on a Facebook group the shelter recommended to me. No one has shown any interest so far. My in laws said they'll take him when their cat dies, she's 17 but very healthy so I don't think it'll happen too soon.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I have an elderly cat (16) that started peeing on things once Number Two was born. I borrowed a dog crate from a cousin, and it's his own little apartment at night. It solved the peeing problems, and he even goes in it during the day to nap and get away from the kids. Maybe crating during the day, and being out at night (when the baby is sleeping) could work as an interim solution for you?

You have my sympathies. :smith:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Why are your cat's claws sharp enough to sever tendons? Either clip them down or get Soft Paws on them claws.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lareine posted:

Why are your cat's claws sharp enough to sever tendons? Either clip them down or get Soft Paws on them claws.

Compare to removing a baby's fingers at the first knuckle because they can't stop touching the fireplace or grabbing your nose too hard.

That said, the poster with the aggressive cat really needs to think hard about the risks they continue to take by keeping that animal in range of their child. At some point you need to decide if your desire to avoid putti there cat down is outweighed by your desire to prevent serious injury to your child. For me, that line would have been crossed after the cat caused serious injury to your husband.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
edited away entirely sorry

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Y'all were doing so well there for a while.
Please refrain from being Pet Island retards in places not Pet Island. Nobody says another loving word about their superior pet-mommy opinions.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Compare to removing a baby's fingers at the first knuckle because they can't stop touching the fireplace or grabbing your nose too hard.

That said, the poster with the aggressive cat really needs to think hard about the risks they continue to take by keeping that animal in range of their child. At some point you need to decide if your desire to avoid putti there cat down is outweighed by your desire to prevent serious injury to your child. For me, that line would have been crossed after the cat caused serious injury to your husband.

Clipping a cat's nails isn't the same as declawing. It's the same as clipping a person's nails. Just trimming the tips so they can't slice through flesh or eyeballs.

Anyway, was just trying to make a suggestion. Didn't intend on starting anything. I'll be leaving now.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
He bit my husband anyway so we don't have to do the whole declawing debate.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does anyone have a favorite source of baby clothes that don't have a bunch of silly slogans on them? My friend is due pretty soon and doesn't want a bunch of "Mommy's Favorite" or whatever, just cute outfits. I'm probably going to give her a Biohazard creeper as a shower gift, since she's a scientist and babies are full of scary fluids, but that's more of a joke and I want to give her some nice stuff too. I've seen onesies and sets at Costco that just have cute animals on them and no words, but it's never a sure thing if they'll have them on a given day.

I think the nursery is decorated with dinosaurs, so cute dinosaur stuff might be good if anyone has a recommendation.

tse1618 posted:

He bit my husband anyway so we don't have to do the whole declawing debate.

Have you spoken to your vet about possibly medicating him? He sounds very stressed out, and if you can't find someone else to take him and you don't want to put him down, another answer may be kitty Prozac or something similar. If you find the right medication and dosage, he may no longer be a danger to your daughter.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RazorBunny posted:

Does anyone have a favorite source of baby clothes that don't have a bunch of silly slogans on them? My friend is due pretty soon and doesn't want a bunch of "Mommy's Favorite" or whatever, just cute outfits. I'm probably going to give her a Biohazard creeper as a shower gift, since she's a scientist and babies are full of scary fluids, but that's more of a joke and I want to give her some nice stuff too. I've seen onesies and sets at Costco that just have cute animals on them and no words, but it's never a sure thing if they'll have them on a given day.

I think the nursery is decorated with dinosaurs, so cute dinosaur stuff might be good if anyone has a recommendation.

The Children's Place, Target, Carters. The silly slogans are pretty popular, but most stores also have a lot without slogans as well, you just have to dig through the racks a bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We haven't hardly had to buy any clothes, we keep getting so much 2nd hand from my older sister (she's had 3 children, all boys, youngest is 8) and in gifts from other people.

A lot of baby clothes and stuff is seriously inflated when we look in stores though, baby sitter was 170 euros, jeesus. Got two baby sitters last night from my sister for free, one of them both she and I used as kids. Which I think is cool :)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

His Divine Shadow posted:

We haven't hardly had to buy any clothes, we keep getting so much 2nd hand from my older sister (she's had 3 children, all boys, youngest is 8) and in gifts from other people.

A lot of baby clothes and stuff is seriously inflated when we look in stores though, baby sitter was 170 euros, jeesus. Got two baby sitters last night from my sister for free, one of them both she and I used as kids. Which I think is cool :)

You're in Finland right? Didn't you get a baby box of clothes?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tigntink posted:

You're in Finland right? Didn't you get a baby box of clothes?

There's that too, but most of those clothes are sized so big we haven't started using most of them, which makes sense because when people get children they tend to be overwhelmed with tiny clothes as gifts. Those small sizes are also the ones you find for sale on websites and 2nd hand stores the most. So you get more utility from providing parents with a larger sized set of clothes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah we had to specifically ask people to give stuff for older babies after we had around 20 onesies.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

So maybe I should put together a stack of, I dunno, 3 month or 6 month clothes as my shower gift?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The one thing thats hard about getting clothes is you don't actually know when the kid will wear it. They could be a fast grower or a slow grower so you have to think about the season they might be wearing the clothes in. Another thing is once my kid started walking I hated onsies. It was so nice to be able to use regular tops on him. So if you're getting older baby clothes like 12 or 18 months, consider not getting onesies.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

RazorBunny posted:

So maybe I should put together a stack of, I dunno, 3 month or 6 month clothes as my shower gift?

My favorite shower gift to give is a basket of Useful Things: Wipes, diapers, baby wash/lotion, butt paste, Tylenol drops, nail clippers, brush, socks, washcloths, etc. Not as much fun as clothes, but 110% useable--and will start being used immediately. I had one cousin specifically thank me because she was so focused on the crib, nursery furniture, bottle types, carseats, stroller, etc that she totally forgot that babies need toiletries too. ;) Also, gowns. Gowns are the very best thing for infants. No one wants to fuss around with snaps or poo poo like that in the middle of the night. Gowns are the best.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AlistairCookie posted:

My favorite shower gift to give is a basket of Useful Things: Wipes, diapers, baby wash/lotion, butt paste, Tylenol drops, nail clippers, brush, socks, washcloths, etc. Not as much fun as clothes, but 110% useable--and will start being used immediately. I had one cousin specifically thank me because she was so focused on the crib, nursery furniture, bottle types, carseats, stroller, etc that she totally forgot that babies need toiletries too. ;) Also, gowns. Gowns are the very best thing for infants. No one wants to fuss around with snaps or poo poo like that in the middle of the night. Gowns are the best.
See, this is why things like toiletries, nose sucker bulbs, OTC medications and baby manicure sets are the best (and if she's planning to breastfeed -a tube of lanolin and some breast pads) - clothing can be really subjective, and not just by color choice. I HATED gowns. Tried them a few times because I got some as gifts, then turned around and donated them as quickly as possible. I was opposite you on the onesie thing too - I kept him in onesies as long as possible because he was the king of diaper removing.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Wool nursing inserts and nose sucker thingies have been my gifts for every expectant mother I know this winter. You always need the nose sucker thingies for the first time in the middle of the night or during a public holiday, it's like a law of nature or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Maybe I'll just get the silly Biohazard creeper and then fill a basket with practical stuff like that. Let the aunties buy clothes.