Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

That DICK! posted:

I made up a joke

Q: What kind of Yogurt ddid they serve on this flight?

A: Plane

Q: How long does it take to find a plane in the ocean when no one is really sure what route it took?

A: A long time.

I don't think my joke was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

This just in: Plane may have turned and CNN has been reporting on this new information with breakthrough journalistic techniques such as interviewing the co-pilot's neighbor, showing how the path can be changed in a flight simulator, and interviewing an unrelated flight attendant from Alaskan Airlines about doors on the cockpit.

Goddamn, CNN.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I Might Be Adam posted:

This just in: Plane may have turned and CNN has been reporting on this new information with breakthrough journalistic techniques such as interviewing the co-pilot's neighbor, showing how the path can be changed in a flight simulator, and interviewing an unrelated flight attendant from Alaskan Airlines about doors on the cockpit.

Goddamn, CNN.

Haha you watched CNN.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Holy poo poo! This cannot be coincidental?! I woke up this morning and my wife had already woken up earlier and was getting ready for work. I did not hear her get up and when I saw she was gone I thought maybe she was on the plane too even though we went to a St. Paddy's day party last night! I ran out to the kitchen and was making myself a nice chai for breakfast and I was calling out to see if she was around.. "Honey, honey.. are you on flight 370??" no answer.. I was just about to go dig out the life insurance policy when she showed up asking me what the gently caress was wrong with me. What a relief right? They really need to bring this to some sort of conclusion before I lose my mind. Come to think of it I have not seen my neighbor recently?!

Damned shame Justin Bieber was not on tour in Malaysia two weeks ago and scheduled to have chartered that flight.
This post, is epic and funny. I am serious.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

happyhippy posted:

Haha you watched CNN.

If you have a better place to get speculative and meandering news reported by retards who know absolutely poo poo about anything, I'd like to hear about it.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

I Might Be Adam posted:

If you have a better place to get speculative and meandering news reported by retards who know absolutely poo poo about anything, I'd like to hear about it.

Helen Keller?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I bet the plane was brought down by monkey cheese. Just a little random humor for yall

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

Emanuel Collective posted:

I bet the plane was brought down by monkey cheese. Just a little random humor for yall

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't believe there is nothing else interesting going on in the entire world that this "mystery" is getting 24 hour news coverage. Why can't Russia bomb Ukraine so we can ha e something interesting to read about?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Emanuel Collective posted:

I don't get it.

Monkeys don't make cheese.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't believe there is nothing else interesting going on in the entire world that this "mystery" is getting 24 hour news coverage. Why can't Russia bomb Ukraine so we can ha e something interesting to read about?

Russia drop the plane on Ukraine

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Q: What do you say to get a long-necked bird's attention, but also a country?

A: Ukraine

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm just sitting here with a clip of Hervé Villechaize saying "De plane de plane!" ready to be posted whenever it is found so that I can achieve world wide comedy stardom.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Lobok posted:

I'm just sitting here with a clip of Hervé Villechaize saying "De plane de plane!" ready to be posted whenever it is found so that I can achieve world wide comedy stardom.

Preemptive 5'd.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bird moving service

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Booked a flight to Bejing and all I got was this lousy pan-dimensional trip through time and space.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That DICK! posted:

Q: How do you get a pompous bald psychiatrist's attention in a coffee shop?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

drat you

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Booked a flight to Bejing and all I got was this lousy pan-dimensional trip through time and space.

but enough about china lol

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Obligatory Handle posted:

Q: How long does it take to find a plane in the ocean when no one is really sure what route it took?

A: A long time.

I don't think my joke was very funny.

Alternatively, the answer is "Never."

See N844AA. Some guy got in a motherfucking 727-223, turned off the transponder, and flew off with it in 2003.

To this day, nobody knows what happened to it or where it is. This stolen plane has been missing for over a decade.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Evil_Greven posted:

Alternatively, the answer is "Never."

See N844AA. Some guy got in a motherfucking 727-223, turned off the transponder, and flew off with it in 2003.

To this day, nobody knows what happened to it or where it is. This stolen plane has been missing for over a decade.

I like how it sat on the airport, grounded and sitting idle for over a year and some joker(s) jump in and fly away with the loving thing. Granted this took place in Angola so what were they going to do anyways right?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

demonR6 posted:

I like how it sat on the airport, grounded and sitting idle for over a year and some joker(s) jump in and fly away with the loving thing. Granted this took place in Angola so what were they going to do anyways right?
It gets better. The reason it was there in the first place was to deliver fuel - some dumbfucks took out the seats and replaced them with water tanks which were filled with diesel.

Remember when this went down - late in May of 2003, not too far removed from 9/11. You bet your rear end some government agencies were making GBS threads their pants at the thought of a 727 full of diesel running amok. And yet it's still missing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't it kind of make sense that it's missing because the owners owed $4million in fees? Oops no plane now sorry.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
the real mystery is whether this thread will ever be worth reading

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

Petey posted:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Petey posted:

I'm pretty sure that's no going to be a mystery.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Petey posted:

The plane never existed. It was just swamp :gas: reflecting off Venus.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
In other related news:

Some Chinese relatives of passengers aboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 threatened on Tuesday to go on a hunger strike to pressure Malaysian authorities to release more information about the search for the plane.

This should be interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

demonR6 posted:

Some Chinese relatives of passengers aboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 threatened on Tuesday to go on a hunger strike to pressure Malaysian authorities to release more information about the search for the plane.

'Tell us this stuff you don't know, or we'll kill ourselves?' That sounds a little counter-productive.

I mean, I think ineptitude is a more reasonable explanation for the lack of information than secrecy.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Here's a plausible-sounding theory that was just posted on Wired ...

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

CottonWolf posted:

'Tell us this stuff you don't know, or we'll kill ourselves?' That sounds a little counter-productive.

I mean, I think ineptitude is a more reasonable explanation for the lack of information than secrecy.

Societies without complete media freedoms do sometimes exhibit a willingness to accept conspiracy theory as truth simply because the government hides so much information all the time. I think you're right though, nobody knows for sure quite yet so this is unproductive.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

demonR6 posted:

In other related news:

I thought Malaysia already said they were handing everything over to other governments?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

I did not share the link.. in the event anyone wants to read it.

bathroom sounds posted:

I thought Malaysia already said they were handing everything over to other governments?

The Malaysian government cannot figure out what they are doing one minute to the next but I think this is more the families expecting the Malay government to at least present someone with an official capacity saying something that won't be rescinded 30 minutes later with some new punchline.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2014

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

jimma posted:

Here's a plausible-sounding theory that was just posted on Wired ...

Apparently the change of course was input to the computer by the pilots before they radio'd "good night" which would suggest that they changed course before anything went wrong.

If that info is incorrect though and they radio'd before they changed course then that makes way more sense.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

concerned mom posted:

Apparently the change of course was input to the computer by the pilots before they radio'd "good night" which would suggest that they changed course before anything went wrong.

If that info is incorrect though and they radio'd before they changed course then that makes way more sense.

Would they really use the autopilot at all though, if it were that big of an emergency? Seems like they'd fly it manually.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

concerned mom posted:

If there was a fire on the plane you'd think at one point or another the pilots might mention that to ATC before crashing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
did everyone check their pockets for the plane?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
According to that theory on Wired,

quote:

It probably was a serious event and the flight crew was occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, navigate, and lastly, communicate is the mantra in such situations.
The captain had 18,000 hours of flight time. That's a shitload of experience.

Assuming this theory is true, he probably punched in coordinates for autopilot (so it could navigate) while trying to deal with the onboard fire and they succumbed to smoke inhalation prior to reaching the vicinity of the airstrip.

quote:

What I think happened is the flight crew was overcome by smoke and the plane continued on the heading, probably on George (autopilot), until it ran out of fuel or the fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. You will find it along that route–looking elsewhere is pointless.
A vaguely similar thing happened with that Olympic flight linked earlier in the thread, where the autopilot circled in a holding pattern until it ran out of fuel (depressurization hosed up the crew).

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

keevo posted:

did everyone check their pockets for the plane?

just think: where did you last see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

concerned mom posted:

I think the Malaysian authorities (lol) went back on that.

• Locked thread