Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

karl fungus posted:

Wait what. :stare:

Can you elaborate further on this?

From what I was told it goes like this: in another residence hall, there was a room with three white guys and a black guy. The white guys started beating him up, threatening him, stealing his stuff, putting a dog collar on him and chaining him to poo poo, and decorating their room with nazi and white supremacy stuff. The kid was understandably terrified and didn't really say anything. It came to light because some friend of one of the guys visited and saw it all. Perhaps the biggest outrage was that the guy who was being abused requested a room transfer, and University Housing apparently told him no.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Jesus loving christ, I hope those little shits get kicked the gently caress out of school, and a moving bus, not necessarily in that order.

Ejected from the university faster than you can blink, arrested and hauled up before a judge for hate crimes. Haven't heard anything more, but considering how much has come out I doubt the prosecutor will have trouble finding the evidence to get them chucked in the deepest, darkest cell they can find.

Here's another fun tidbit: because of the giant uproar and outrage, the university cobbled together a board to do a review of university policy and procedures to determine what it could have done to prevent it. After months of review, all they released was a statement along the lines of "the board has determined that no fault lies with the policies, procedures, or conduct of the University." :downs: loving thanks chaps, a blatant covering of your own asses is exactly what we were looking for here.

Sydin has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The big problem at my school was that there was no reason for the school to try to prevent any sort of damages. Any time something was broken, a giant fee was charged and divided equally among all the residents and paid at the end of the year. No one was ever tracked down or punished since they got paid anyway.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is hella petty and :spergin: compared to what's been posted here, but I am tired of the goddamn tour groups using our dining hall. Every single week it seems one of the four checkout lanes is singled out for them and all the lines double in length with obnoxious teenagers (There were two dudes who spent their entire conversation giggling and playfully hitting each other like 8-year-olds. It was weird.) Feed these people somewhere else and let the students who have paid for the food and often have class or buses to catch eat in peace.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kavak posted:

This is hella petty and :spergin: compared to what's been posted here, but I am tired of the goddamn tour groups using our dining hall. Every single week it seems one of the four checkout lanes is singled out for them and all the lines double in length with obnoxious teenagers (There were two dudes who spent their entire conversation giggling and playfully hitting each other like 8-year-olds. It was weird.) Feed these people somewhere else and let the students who have paid for the food and often have class or buses to catch eat in peace.

This is precisely why my college called a catering group to bring box lunches for the local high schools' "Day on Campus"

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
One of my friends in college was trans, and he had a hell of a time getting housing. At first they were going to put him on a girl's floor (all the dorms at my school were co-ed except one lone all-girls dorm), but he said he would rather be on a boy's floor in a room by himself. The university refused that, and offered him a spot on the girl's floor right by the stairs, so "he could go to the boy's floor to use the bathroom/bathe". Friend rejected this idea because it didn't really solve the problem he had (he was worried about getting a roommate who was less-than-accepting about his trans status, and the school refused to let him have a double-room to himself unless he paid for both spots). This went back and forth up until about a week before school started.

Finally, the school let him have an on-campus one-bedroom apartment to himself, but they were going to charge him for utilities, which was ridiculous because dorm students didn't have to pay utilities and the only reason he couldn't be in the dorms was because the school refused to give him a room to himself. It took the threat of a lawsuit to finally get the utilities covered by the school.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of bullshit he had to go through at that school, though. Other problems included being listed in the school registry by his old name (which was a very feminine name and not one he wanted to use), being jerked around in regards of which bathrooms to use (half the time they told him he could use the men's room, but at other times they told him he had to use the women's room or else he would get in trouble), Getting charged for damages to his apartment when someone spray-painted 'tranny' on his door, being outed to more than one classroom of students by lovely teachers, and the campus health center routinely loving up his prescriptions to the point where he ended up going off-campus for his hormone medication and paying out-of-pocket for it.

This all happened recently, too. As in, 2007-2011 recent. So they should have been less lovely about it.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Aug 17, 2014

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Apparently Woman is an oppressive word because it contains Man, and as such they needed a room where "womyn" and "wimmen" can hide from men like me who don't understand why tumblr is suddenly real life. Why does my uni let this go on instead of telling them to gently caress off I don't know, all this poo poo does is undermine real feminism. E: I got this from a public facebook group.

underage at the vape shop has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Apparently Woman is an oppressive word because it contains Man, and as such they needed a room where "womyn" and "wimmen" can hide from men like me who don't understand why tumblr is suddenly real life. Why does my uni let this go on instead of telling them to gently caress off I don't know, all this poo poo does is undermine real feminism. E: I got this from a public facebook group.

I don't understand it either, but I was called a pig and slapped in the face over it!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
People walking 3 abreast on a walking path next to the road that's barely wide enough for 2 people to walk past each other comfortably without having to step onto the road or into the bush that's on a steep downward hill on the other side of the path. And then act all pissy when you don't step out into moving traffic because they don't want to take all that effort to walk in a single file for the all of 2 seconds it'd take for me to get past them. Or just plain make you weave around them because they're jackasses.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

We had a former ASB president write in the student paper that if the school put anything to committee, the school planned to let the issue die down and then have the committee release a finding to the effect of "the university did nothing wrong".

Basically, if you want to effect policy change on your college campus, jail your school president in his office for a week, while rioting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is "real feminism"?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

What is "real feminism"?

Combating actual discrimination and not complaining that you can't spell woman without man.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What is "real feminism"?

Getting guys to see why it's wrong to clink the ice in their empty highball glass at their girlfriend for a refill.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A White Guy posted:

Basically, if you want to effect policy change on your college campus, jail your school president in his office for a week, while rioting.

God, if only. Our President came on two-ish years ago from another school in the area after he "fixed" (read: drove further into the ground) it. The process for selecting a President is also apparently very Boy's Club, and we picked our President over much more qualified applicants because "it was his turn." Ever since he's come in the administration has ballooned at least two fold, tuition has gone up, freshman acceptance has gone up, and number of faculty & classes has nosedived. Instead, it's all go to construction projects and to create even more redundant admin positions with six figure salaries for his connections.

The worst part is just how obvious that the whole stint is just a resume building exercise. He obviously has his sights set on a greener pastures, and he's just trying to enact as much disruptive change in as little a time span as possible so he can have another school he "fixed" under his belt.

Basically I'm really glad I'm graduating this semester, because this scheme is going to collapse hard. As it is we've upped freshman enrollment for Fall 2014 by quite a bit, and then turned around and cut classes across the board. How in the gently caress anybody is going to be able to get any kind of decent class load is beyond me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

God, if only. Our President came on two-ish years ago from another school in the area after he "fixed" (read: drove further into the ground) it. The process for selecting a President is also apparently very Boy's Club, and we picked our President over much more qualified applicants because "it was his turn." Ever since he's come in the administration has ballooned at least two fold, tuition has gone up, freshman acceptance has gone up, and number of faculty & classes has nosedived. Instead, it's all go to construction projects and to create even more redundant admin positions with six figure salaries for his connections.

The worst part is just how obvious that the whole stint is just a resume building exercise. He obviously has his sights set on a greener pastures, and he's just trying to enact as much disruptive change in as little a time span as possible so he can have another school he "fixed" under his belt.

Basically I'm really glad I'm graduating this semester, because this scheme is going to collapse hard. As it is we've upped freshman enrollment for Fall 2014 by quite a bit, and then turned around and cut classes across the board. How in the gently caress anybody is going to be able to get any kind of decent class load is beyond me.

From what I've been hearing that's been an epidemic among American schools in general. Sounds similar to the poo poo going on where I'm studying. Very glad I won't be around too much longer. Tuition gets jacked up every year, the state is slashing funding to the bone, and we have entire categories of majors that can't graduate properly, won't get classes they need for their degrees, and can't get into grad school because their department is no longer accredited. And also doesn't exist.

The administration was doing all the things it was doing very hush-hush and has an explicit "don't engage the public" policy on literally everything. The administration is told to not discuss policy with students, media, or the community. poo poo just kind of...happens...with zero input from students or faculty. The decisions are extremely unpopular and the fact that they aren't getting input from anybody else makes them even less popular. The campus has seen numerous big protests and much of the student body is "yup, gently caress this place." Enrollment is down, retainment is down, but new buildings are up, up, UP!

The university has some massive problems that aren't getting fixed but gently caress it, let's ignore that and spend a few million on a new pool.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Jesus Christ I wish this dumb province would take a que from Montreal and just strike or something, the loving tuition hikes are really pissing me off and there's no other way to get the attention of the drat government anymore.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

From what I've been hearing that's been an epidemic among American schools in general. Sounds similar to the poo poo going on where I'm studying. Very glad I won't be around too much longer. Tuition gets jacked up every year, the state is slashing funding to the bone, and we have entire categories of majors that can't graduate properly, won't get classes they need for their degrees, and can't get into grad school because their department is no longer accredited. And also doesn't exist.

The administration was doing all the things it was doing very hush-hush and has an explicit "don't engage the public" policy on literally everything. The administration is told to not discuss policy with students, media, or the community. poo poo just kind of...happens...with zero input from students or faculty. The decisions are extremely unpopular and the fact that they aren't getting input from anybody else makes them even less popular. The campus has seen numerous big protests and much of the student body is "yup, gently caress this place." Enrollment is down, retainment is down, but new buildings are up, up, UP!

The university has some massive problems that aren't getting fixed but gently caress it, let's ignore that and spend a few million on a new pool.

Yeah, this was happening at my old university. Being a biology major was horrible because even though we were getting more and more biology majors, only one or two sections of needed classes were ever offered and it was often only in spring or only in fall. Hope you weren't wanting to graduate at a set time! I think French and German majors both got cut, so it must suck eggs if you were going down that route. Some of the art degrees were getting cut back and a lot of retiring professors weren't getting replaced. Oh, and most of the chemistry building and equipment was antiquated, filthy and some of the room's safety showers didn't actually work. Or have drains.

Also, the IT desk was massively overburdened and they kept putting more and more workload on us. Awesome.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A White Guy posted:

Or do what this one guy did while I was an undergrad and put a severed pig's head on the hood of his car. Just don't try to sell t-shirts about what you did after the fact or they might catch you and make you write an essay

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Or do what this one guy did while I was an undergrad and put a severed pig's head on the hood of his car. Just don't try to sell t-shirts about what you did after the fact or they might catch you and make you write an essay

Oh man, those essays are great. Every couple weeks a buddy of mine writes one up for pot possetion on school grounds

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Double Plus Good posted:

Whoever gave me that title IX discrimination reference, any legal action this dude could take? Because all of that combined sounds straight up illegal.

Short answer, it depends.

Long answer, it depends on a lot of stuff but mainly where you live.

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/know-your-rights-transgender-people-and-law

quote:

Does the U.S. Constitution protect transgender people from discrimination?

Although the U.S. Supreme Court has never considered this question, we think the answer is yes. It is important to remember, however, that constitutional protections only cover discrimination or mistreatment by the government.

Student questions

quote:

Are there laws that specifically protect transgender students from harassment or discrimination?

More and more, schools are protecting transgender students from harassment or discrimination. California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and the District of Columbia have state laws specifically protecting transgender students in public schools from harassment and/or discrimination.

Toilet questions

quote:

Does the law protect a transgender person's right to use the restroom consistent with his or her gender identity?

There's no clear answer because very few courts have considered this question. The Minnesota Supreme Court has ruled that even a law prohibiting gender identity discrimination does not necessarily protect an individual's desire to use a gender identity-appropriate restroom at work. The Tenth Circuit in 2007 upheld the Utah Transit Authority's decision to fire a transgender bus driver, based on a claim that her employer risked liability for her use of public restrooms along her bus route. In a non-workplace context, a New York appeals court has ruled that it is not sex discrimination for a building owner to prevent transgender people from using gender identity-appropriate restrooms in a building housing several businesses.

Some jurisdictions (e.g., Colorado, Iowa, San Francisco, New York City, and the District of Columbia), however, have indicated that denying transgender people the right to use a gender identity-appropriate restroom violates nondiscrimination laws.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had unisex bathrooms but whatev. :v:

Regardless, you could contact somebody like the ACLU (https://www.aclu.org/contact-us) and see if they'll help you! You should also read your student handbook and see if they have anything written in there about it. Then also read the faculty handbook and other handbooks they have available.

E. Also important to keep in mind is that policies on gender discrimination may not incorporate transgender folk. Also, sexual orientation is often conflated with gender identity by lay people but legally they are distinct (that is, if somebody tries to tell you you're covered, they may not know what the gently caress they're talking about).

Double edit.
Also state law may be in conflict with federal law, ymmv.

http://transequality.org/Resources/EmploymentKnowYourRights_Sept2013.pdf

N. Senada has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 17, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had a professor call me out today because I had dared to get up to go to the bathroom during a 3-hour class. Then later, he used me as an example while lecturing us on how we were being disrespectful.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Combating actual discrimination and not complaining that you can't spell woman without man.

Listen that sounds like it takes work, tell me something I can share on Facebook easily and then feel like I ~*~stuck it to the man~*~.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Listen that sounds like it takes work, tell me something I can share on Facebook easily and then feel like I ~*~stuck it to the man~*~.

Shouldn't that be ~*~stuck it to the myn~*~

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Coffee And Pie posted:

I had a professor call me out today because I had dared to get up to go to the bathroom during a 3-hour class. Then later, he used me as an example while lecturing us on how we were being disrespectful.

And did you tell him to take a hike?

Seriously, you don't need to take this from professors. They're not high school teachers with some sort of jurisdiction or authority over your behavior outside of academic dishonesty and classroom disruption. Yes they deserve to be respected, but only if they return that respect, because you're both adults.

The one time this happened to me (my professor called me out and ridiculed me in front of the class for having the gall to be 20 minutes late because an accident held up traffic) I walked up to him right there in front of the class and told him he was being disrespectful and rude, and that if he had a problem with my behavior we could discuss it in private, outside of class. It initially shocked him a bit, but after class I went to his office hours and we talked things out like adults. He explained he was having a bad day and apologized for being a dick, and I apologized for being so late and promised to leave earlier for class just in case.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sydin posted:

And did you tell him to take a hike?

Seriously, you don't need to take this from professors. They're not high school teachers with some sort of jurisdiction or authority over your behavior outside of academic dishonesty and classroom disruption. Yes they deserve to be respected, but only if they return that respect, because you're both adults.

The one time this happened to me (my professor called me out and ridiculed me in front of the class for having the gall to be 20 minutes late because an accident held up traffic) I walked up to him right there in front of the class and told him he was being disrespectful and rude, and that if he had a problem with my behavior we could discuss it in private, outside of class. It initially shocked him a bit, but after class I went to his office hours and we talked things out like adults. He explained he was having a bad day and apologized for being a dick, and I apologized for being so late and promised to leave earlier for class just in case.

I would bet there is more to their story.

Also this story never happened.

Nostalgia4Infinity has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Mar 17, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Did everyone then stand up and clap Sydin?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I would bet there is more to their story.

Also this story never happened.

drat, you caught me. My incredible chance to increase my erep down the drain.

N. Senada posted:

Did everyone then stand up and clap Sydin?

They did. They stood up one by one to offer me tribute. Women fell over themselves offering their virginities to me. The professor stood aside to let me teach the class.

e: But in all seriousness, I realize I dramatized quite a bit. The story is literally: professor ridiculed me in front of the class, I was in a bad mood and yelled back at him, and we hashed it out in his office afterwards. My point was that you shouldn't let your professor poo poo on you for stupid little things.

Sydin has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Mar 17, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
From the other end of the classroom:

I have taught GED in a community college. I liked doing it, as far as the class goes. I am less fond of the administration and all those requirements. (For example, I was required to hand out a 6 page syllabus at the beginning of every term that mostly consisted of school policies, most of which were self-explanatory, like not coming to class drunk).

Recently I've been applying for jobs doing the same thing. I applied to one institution, and after ten weeks, got back an e-Mail. I was APPROVED for employment. I was not actually hired, just approved. I don't know what this means. I e-Mailed them back and asked what that meant (politely), and they said to wait until someone in the department e-Mailed me. Which might happen...this week? A month from now? Never?

If any of you have experience with community college instructors, and wonder why they often act confused or don't seem to know policies or SOPs, it is because they are hired on an adjunct basis, and might not know until a week or two before term starts that they will be teaching. Its a pretty bad system. There are reasons why it is a bad system, but it is still a bad system.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My university just built it's few first unisex bathrooms :iia:

Honestly, for everything I have to complain about the place, there's 10 things I love.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How does a unisex bathroom work? Is it just all stalls, or are they just single-occupant rooms?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

karl fungus posted:

How does a unisex bathroom work? Is it just all stalls, or are they just single-occupant rooms?

Usually single occupant. We have several here in the newer buildings- I think they may end up adding some to the older ones, but I can't remember if the new law about trans accommodations affects the UCs.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is being forced to use the opposite bathroom really such a huge deal? I mean, I don't personally care but is that really such a big priority with the trans community? I've used the girls bathroom from time to time when some guy is hacking up a lung in the dudes and I just really need to poo poo.

VVVVVV: I wanna empty quote that so bad

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Mar 18, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Blackboard is an incredibly lovely service with an increasingly obtuse interface.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Is being forced to use the opposite bathroom really such a huge deal? I mean, I don't personally care but is that really such a big priority with the trans community? I've used the girls bathroom from time to time when some guy is hacking up a lung in the dudes and I just really need to poo poo.

VVVVVV: I wanna empty quote that so bad

It's likely not the act of using the bathroom that is the huge deal. I'm not trans so I am not 100% sure but it's likely an issue because certain people could identify others as "man" or "woman" when entering a bathroom when the trans person would want to be identified as something else.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's likely not the act of using the bathroom that is the huge deal. I'm not trans so I am not 100% sure but it's likely an issue because certain people could identify others as "man" or "woman" when entering a bathroom when the trans person would want to be identified as something else.

Or that some people freak out that 'omg that MAN is using the woman's bathroom' or vice versa rather than realizing that transgender people exist.

Also, I hate that student accommodation tends to be a giant petri dish. I did not need a viral infection as a paper is due.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Austrian mook posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581492

Go here and ask.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Aerofallosov posted:

Or that some people freak out that 'omg that MAN is using the woman's bathroom' or vice versa rather than realizing that transgender people exist.

Also, I hate that student accommodation tends to be a giant petri dish. I did not need a viral infection as a paper is due.

Unis in general. Its 3 week of uni in Australia and I've had the flu for 2.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Unis in general. Its 3 week of uni in Australia and I've had the flu for 2.

... yikes. Yeah, I keep getting random infections and it's driving me up a wall. At least my allergies aren't bad here at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One thing I don't get is that colleges occasionally start having disease-related trouble that only comes up when you have overcrowding, that just get worse when you have unsanitary conditions (like every college dorm, ever), but are trying to pack even more kids into college dorms. Like hey, let's see what happens when we indirectly force meningitis outbreaks to happen. Hell yeah!

Dorms in general are a thing that's always baffled me. They're a terrible idea in every way imaginable and I've never met anybody that's had much positive to say about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Actually, it's an elaborate NIH study.

• Locked thread