Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pharos is supposed to be hard?

Hopefully all the crafting stuff is as awesome as the magical broom and the Chairbuncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

It isn't insanely difficult. It requires people to be somewhat on the ball and know the mechanics, but it honestly isn't that hard. What is true is that the rewards it offers for clearing are nowhere near worth the effort required to clear it.
It's the fact that it's overtuned for the ilvl req and doesn't given rewards anywhere near worth the effort of completing it, and you're doing it through DF.

My last run of PS had a scholar that didn't break 3k hp and kept standing in the way of siren dashes, he also couldn't heal siren song at all so I got to watch myself autoattack him for 900 damage a hit. We finally cleared it when I remembered that I could use self-heals in the form of second wind and bloodbath so I broke 3 siren songs myself.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

sassassin posted:

A few hours per day isn't hardcore?

Compared to what I've seen, no. I've seen people spend 8-12 hours per day on the game.

Speaking of which, time for a Crystal Tower pubbie story! I was doing CT yesterday, and we all wiped in the first room. The tank in one of the Alliances was new, and didn't know about tail drive. No big deal. Most people understood that it was his first run. Except the DPS in another alliance, who decided to do nothing but insult the tank, and bitch about how Square is the worst company in the world for "allowing these loving casuals to ruin my experience". Naturally people told him to shut up. He didn't like that, so we spent the next 5 minutes wiping in the same room because he would run in, aggro the dragon, and get everyone wiped (or nearly wiped) by Tail Drive. Eventually they ended up kicking him. I have no idea why, but the majority time I run into someone who is overgeared, they tend to be huge assholes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did duty roulette yesterday and got Ifrit with a new tank, who died halfway through. What's my strategy then, as a dragoon? Stand in one place and try to act as a normal tank? Run around like a loon trying to kite and reduce damage, but probably making it harder for the other two dudes?

We won cause it was only Ifrit, but it's not the first time I've had tanks die and as melee dps I assume I'm next in line to hold aggro...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

sassassin posted:

Did duty roulette yesterday and got Ifrit with a new tank, who died halfway through. What's my strategy then, as a dragoon? Stand in one place and try to act as a normal tank? Run around like a loon trying to kite and reduce damage, but probably making it harder for the other two dudes?

We won cause it was only Ifrit, but it's not the first time I've had tanks die and as melee dps I assume I'm next in line to hold aggro...

Speaking as a healer: I probably hosed up, so please try to stabilize it and just do your best. Also please don't pop B4B during such a situation. :v:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

sassassin posted:

If the other DPS is a...

MNK: Tank normally.
DRG: Better geared DRG should tank normally.
BLM/SMN/BRD: Do whatever, they don't have any positional requirements. (It's easiest just to tank normally, though.)

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Oh my goodness... that new preview for the upcoming new crafts... WE CAN HAVE MATOYA'S BROOMS IN OUR HOUSE! That's friggin' awesome. We need to have like 10 brooms on every floor.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Has this been posted in here yet? Friend linked this to me:

I have to admit, it made me laugh. Because its happened to me before.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I was really hoping that Big fishing involved making housing trophies that could be hung on your walls and if that magical broom sweeps around your house, it will be incredible.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

jwang posted:

Oh my goodness... that new preview for the upcoming new crafts... WE CAN HAVE MATOYA'S BROOMS IN OUR HOUSE! That's friggin' awesome. We need to have like 10 brooms on every floor.
I have a feeling the broom is actually a new minion.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Smart Car posted:

I have a feeling the broom is actually a new minion.

It almost definitely is.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

DarkstarIV posted:

Has this been posted in here yet? Friend linked this to me:

awesome.jpg

I have to admit, it made me laugh. Because its happened to me before.

They're playing Triple Triad in the last panel :kimchi:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All Pharos needs is good heals. I did it a few days ago with 1 bad dps and a fresh 50 crap geared tank. It's just a long slog of a dungeon and the first boss is the hardest one and people don't know how to do him properly.

Fingerspitzengefuhl
Jul 2, 2007
Krieg ohne Hass

AlmightyBob posted:

As a lowlevel tank I actually hate it when the healers sleep things, especially since while I was leveling WHM I never needed to. I can hold aggro on this poo poo, and I can tank the damage. Leave it alone. And especially don't use that loving knockback on it. Take that poo poo off your bars.

WHM's knockback is off GCD, does a decent amount of damage, costs no mp, and keeps something away long enough to save you a cure, meaning you get an extra Stone II off. If you use it on something the party isn't fighting that's like 300 extra potency for free. Obviously if the party IS fighting it you lose a bunch of damage while they have to chase it, but used correctly it's a pretty efficient ability. You can also slam bosses with it for the free damage without knocking them back. Repose is also pretty good if you get the benefit of the full duration, 30 seconds saves a LOT of healing. Or you use it with a WAR tank and they wake everything up 2 seconds later. So yeah they can be used wrong, but in the right situation they let you get in a lot of extra dps.

Summoner knockback is definitely poo poo though, it does less damage than the other ability on the same cooldown AND it makes everyone chase the drat target. I have to think it was included as a way to teach people to use Obey.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DarkstarIV posted:

There are so many problems with Pharos right now its not even funny (its hilarious). From what I understand, its insanely difficult and not worth doing. Part of the community wants it nerfed, but there are people who are bitching that they'll unsub if Square nerfs it.

You understand wrong. You should really try it yourself, Pharos is not that hard and the reputation it has is frankly unbelievable.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
To put it plainly, the problem with Pharos is that the rewards it gives are worse than Crystal Tower, and Crystal Tower is easier to complete if only because your chances of winding up with a ton of people who know how to do it are higher.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Problems with Pharos: punished for being good at doing damage by wiping to massive amounts of adds you if you do too good damage. This is the entire issue with Pharos and pubbies can not wrap their heads around holding back to not completely overwhelm themselves with adds in fights.

That's it. Everything else is fine about it, just the two first bosses just completely loving you over for having decent DPS output or having Summoner in your party, gently caress that poo poo

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

Problems with Pharos: punished for being good at doing damage by wiping to massive amounts of adds you if you do too good damage. This is the entire issue with Pharos and pubbies can not wrap their heads around holding back to not completely overwhelm themselves with adds in fights.

That's it. Everything else is fine about it, just the two first bosses just completely loving you over for having decent DPS output or having Summoner in your party, gently caress that poo poo
Oh man, dps having to control their dps output?

Heaven forfend.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I'm glad I haven't unlocked Pharos, then. WP/AK for easy duty roulette tome goodness!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

What's the best recommended way to do Pharos if it was being done, particularly regarding that bit on holding back on the DPS? I'm asking this for a friend, and are there any other dungeons like Pharos that should just be ignored if possible for similar issues?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have Pharos unlocked but haven't ever ran it. I almost always end up in Haukke Manor HM or Copperbell HM for duty roulette when I actually do it. As long as the group is semi competent, we're running both of those in around 25 minutes or less, so it ain't no thang.

I would like to run Pharos once just because I love dungeons.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would like to run Pharos once just because I love dungeons.

This. I'm just going to wait until I no longer wish to run High Level Roulette and then I'll give it a try.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

What's the Linkshell channel for the Goons on Ultros again?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
All this talk of Pharos being so hard that people are actually avoiding unlocking it is making me laugh and my co-workers think I'm weird now.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I've run Pharos a number of times and I don't think I've ever failed to complete it. Maybe it's happened once. The bosses can be rough and I've wiped to each of them a couple of times (except that third one just before the siren but that doesn't even count) but they're not nearly as impossible as people are making them out to be.

I do agree that it's a bit of a slog and not really worth the effort, though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

It's not hard. It's just artificially made to take way longer than it should because you gotta stop and wait for poo poo to not completely murder you. And that makes it awful :argh:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

People who insist on tanking every single dog and/or stacking together, causing multiple explosions. People running too far up the ruined staircase, triple pulling 2 slime packs and a sprite. People not doing anything to Zu adds - not killing hatching eggs, or the birds. People not killing zombies at all, or interrupting Lunatic Voice. I've seen all of these things happen in a single DF run.

I'd be fine going in as a premade (because hey, it's really NOT that hard :v: ) but I'd really rather not run it in DF again, especially when you can just slam down WP in like 10-15 minutes.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Belzac posted:

All this talk of Pharos being so hard that people are actually avoiding unlocking it is making me laugh and my co-workers think I'm weird now.

For me, anyway, I'm not waiting to unlock it because I think it is too hard, I'm waiting because it causes enough issues with pubbies I would run into in Duty Roulette that it's not worth my time for quick tomes (which is why I Duty Roulette to begin with). Once they uncap Myth in a few weeks I will probably never run High Level Duty Roulette again, at which time I will unlock PS, and Copperbell/Haukke hard.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I decided to tank Acheron because nobody else was stepping up. About halfway through phase 1, some rear end in a top hat decides to start waving his epeen around and trying to pull aggro off me. I don't really care one way or another, but fighting over aggro is stupid, so I just let him. He still kept trying so hard to out-aggro me that he failed to even try and run out for ancient flare. Needless to say, Acheron reverted to me in phase 2. I think he deserves some kind of FFXIV Darwin award for his hilariously idiotic suicide.

Does anyone else have any good candidates for such an award? Do tell. :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Celador posted:

For me, anyway, I'm not waiting to unlock it because I think it is too hard, I'm waiting because it causes enough issues with pubbies I would run into in Duty Roulette that it's not worth my time for quick tomes (which is why I Duty Roulette to begin with). Once they uncap Myth in a few weeks I will probably never run High Level Duty Roulette again, at which time I will unlock PS, and Copperbell/Haukke hard.

Copperbell and Haukke HM are both 20-25 minute runs if you know what you're doing. They can be even faster if everyone is geared. You also get 50 myth from them when finishing. There's no reason to NOT be running those two.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PS, and Copperbell/Haukke HM are good dungeons and all, but they offer no good rewards for completing them...

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vadoc posted:

What's the Linkshell channel for the Goons on Ultros again?

Tentacled something or other. Message Naelyan Kil'emal in-game and i'll hook you up with an invite.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Copperbell HM and Haukke HM are both fun and aren't bad to grind through. As I said I like Pharos but its welcome really wears thin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Oh man, dps having to control their dps output?

Heaven forfend.

He has a perfectly salient point about a "hold your DPS" mechanic being particularly detrimental to SMN, since they have no way to snuff out DoTs.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Copperbell and Haukke HM are both 20-25 minute runs if you know what you're doing. They can be even faster if everyone is geared. You also get 50 myth from them when finishing. There's no reason to NOT be running those two.

When doing Duty Roulette, you can not guarantee that you will have geared people, or that they will know what they are doing. That's my point.

I still see people die to Demon Wall's repel, or other stupid avoidable stuff in easy dungeons. Just because it's easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to everyone.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

seorin posted:

Does anyone else have any good candidates for such an award? Do tell. :allears:

My friend was tanking Titan HM and somehow walked backwards off the stage. He wasn't even dodging anything, just straight up forgot there was a ledge there. :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Celador posted:

When doing Duty Roulette, you can not guarantee that you will have geared people, or that they will know what they are doing. That's my point.

I still see people die to Demon Wall's repel, or other stupid avoidable stuff in easy dungeons. Just because it's easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to everyone.

There is something screwy with the wall's mechanics. I ran AK for the first time in forever yesterday. I was facing the wall and standing in the center right in front of it on my DRG and got thrown straight sidewise twice. Same happened to our BLM once. We're all well geared, know the dungeon like the back of our hands, and have done it a million times. That wall is just strange sometimes. My favorite wall glitch is when you dodge repel and end up in the wall or behind it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is something screwy with the wall's mechanics. I ran AK for the first time in forever yesterday. I was facing the wall and standing in the center right in front of it on my DRG and got thrown straight sidewise twice. Same happened to our BLM once. We're all well geared, know the dungeon like the back of our hands, and have done it a million times. That wall is just strange sometimes. My favorite wall glitch is when you dodge repel and end up in the wall or behind it.
It can't always correctly detect which way you're facing if you're too close to demon wall.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

He has a perfectly salient point about a "hold your DPS" mechanic being particularly detrimental to SMN, since they have no way to snuff out DoTs.
Or they could just not reapply their dots when adds start to pile up and kill the adds instead?

It's really not a complicated fight and people who fail to hold their dps in check are just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ilifinicus posted:

It's not hard. It's just artificially made to take way longer than it should because you gotta stop and wait for poo poo to not completely murder you. And that makes it awful :argh:

Just kill the adds as they spawn instead of trying to burn the boss down before the adds kill you? I've never once had an issue with too much dps.

• Locked thread