Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TicalStal posted:

Back when I got into magic, this was the ultimate junk rare you could pull

As a bonus, since you would get a timeshifted card as well (which could potentially be an akroma or psionic blast), here's the timeshifted card for the ultimate junk pack

I got this pack at my pre-release. Not even kidding. I wanted to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TicalStal posted:

Someone, somewhere, is dancing their victory dance when they finally, finally resolved Moonlace in response to their opponent Gainsaying their Cruel Ultimatum.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

I got this pack at my pre-release. Not even kidding. I wanted to cry.

Whatever, man, now tell us how man Errant Ephemerons you opened.

(Errant Ephemeron was better than a lot of rares in TSP by far).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TicalStal posted:

See, at least this - like One With Nothing - are super-cheap to cast and are instants. If there is ever a card that makes those cards relevant, they would be viable. Stuff like Firemind's Foresight is just too expensive to ever be useful besides the jankiest EDH deck, and even something like Goblin Game is at least funny.

Search the City is absolute garbage.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

bhsman posted:

See, at least this - like One With Nothing - are super-cheap to cast and are instants. If there is ever a card that makes those cards relevant, they would be viable. Stuff like Firemind's Foresight is just too expensive to ever be useful besides the jankiest EDH deck, and even something like Goblin Game is at least funny.

Firemind's Foresight is played in Omnitell in Legacy.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

What a Judas posted:

Firemind's Foresight is played in Omnitell in Legacy.

Not really anymore but it used to be yes.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

ChewyLSB posted:

Not really anymore but it used to be yes.

Okay. It's still far from the junk rare pile, at least compared to actual poo poo rares.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It pitches to Force, right, that makes it Legacy playable right there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

It also flips delver.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Entropic posted:

So Trait Doctoring still has a chance!

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Most of the parts for Murdergoats should be here Thursday. Then I'll just have to trade for the relatively expensive parts. Wonder if I could get anything extra for my slightly-off-center 4th Ed. Swords to Plowshares. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Legacy's a weird format.

U - Sorcery - You lose the game.

Would probably see some Legacy play.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

redstormpopcorn posted:

Most of the parts for Murdergoats should be here Thursday. Then I'll just have to trade for the relatively expensive parts. Wonder if I could get anything extra for my slightly-off-center 4th Ed. Swords to Plowshares. :v:

Doubtful. People don't go wild for slightly off center cards. Miscusts are cards that are significantly off, like at an angle or sideways or show one or more cards on them.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Toshimo posted:

Legacy's a weird format.

Almost playable in storm. Make it a phyrexian mana :v:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Legacy's a weird format.

Hive Mind.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Toshimo posted:

Legacy's a weird format.

You can make a pretty janky modern deck with that, hive mind and platnium angel

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

Yessss, more murdergoats players :getin: If you want some filler cards to put in until the purphoros arrives etc, may I suggest ogre battledriver? He is a pretty cool guy who turns all your tokens from molten birth etc into 3/1 haste beaters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toshimo posted:

Legacy's a weird format.

Swerve.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The suggested spell doesn't have a target, so Swerve wouldn't work.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TicalStal posted:

You can make a pretty janky modern deck with that, hive mind and platnium angel

You don't need Platinum Angel.

But, yes, Hive Mind was what I was alluding to.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Samael posted:

Yessss, more murdergoats players :getin: If you want some filler cards to put in until the purphoros arrives etc, may I suggest ogre battledriver? He is a pretty cool guy who turns all your tokens from molten birth etc into 3/1 haste beaters.

Purphoros is actually one of the things I'll have to trade for; until I actually start attending FNM on a regular basis I've limited my singles purchases to a $1-per-card average. I do have a Battledriver though, and I'm pretty sure my friend has another pair I could trade for in the meantime. Young Peezy will get his day in the sun.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Doesn't target, so is not a legal target for swerve.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

To me the worst junk rare was Grindclock, because MSS was a really fun format but it was full of bombs so while other people are opening Consecrated Sphinx or White Sun's Zenith you got a card that could mill someone out slightly faster than they'd deck themselves naturally.

Of course you just picked a Blightwidow anyway but hitting the MBS rare jackpot was always nice and hitting the reverse jackpot was not.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rabidsquid posted:

To me the worst junk rare was Grindclock, because MSS was a really fun format but it was full of bombs so while other people are opening Consecrated Sphinx or White Sun's Zenith you got a card that could mill someone out slightly faster than they'd deck themselves naturally.

Apparently you are unclear on how Grindclock and/or Proliferate work.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Toshimo posted:

Apparently you are unclear on how Grindclock and/or Proliferate work.

Just did some number crunching because I'm bored at work, with no Proliferating involved, the fastest that Grindclock wins alone on the draw is turn 13, after rolling up to 4 counters on turn 5 and milling every turn afterward. Not knowing the format, being able to guarantee that speed (barring artifact destruction, obviously) and improving it even more if you're able to Proliferate at any point sounds pretty good

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also, MBS had Shriekhorn at common. There was a mill deck you could draft.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AegisP posted:

So Trait Doctoring still has a chance!

Trait Doctoring is, at least, far from the worst rare thanks to Heroic, since it reads:

U
Sorcery

Target target creature. Cipher.

If it was instant it might even be strong!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Death Bot posted:

Just did some number crunching because I'm bored at work, with no Proliferating involved, the fastest that Grindclock wins alone on the draw is turn 13, after rolling up to 4 counters on turn 5 and milling every turn afterward. Not knowing the format, being able to guarantee that speed (barring artifact destruction, obviously) and improving it even more if you're able to Proliferate at any point sounds pretty good

That sounds like constructed. It's even faster in limited from my memory. Like Sands of Delirium in M13 limited.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Niton posted:

Trait Doctoring is, at least, far from the worst rare thanks to Heroic, since it reads:

U
Sorcery

Target target creature. Cipher.

If it was instant it might even be strong!

I think an instant speed Cipher spell would be hard to cost, since you can make it go off twice with ease in the right situation (no instant removal open) Hidden Strings is probably better for a Heroic deck though, since it targets two guys and can help get your Cipher-ed dude through. Still think of trying UB or UW Heroic for that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Toshimo posted:

That sounds like constructed. It's even faster in limited from my memory. Like Sands of Delirium in M13 limited.

I'm using 40 but honestly you might be right, I'm way too tired to be doing math right now

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Trait Doctoring lets you exile Stormbreath Dragon with Chained to the rocks for 2 mana.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

kizudarake posted:

Trait Doctoring lets you exile Stormbreath Dragon with Chained to the rocks for 2 mana.

Nope. Chained to the Rocks will only be a permanent after its ETB trigger has already triggered, which means it can't target stormbreath dragon. Trait Doctoring can't be cast until after its trigger has already resolved.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kabanaw posted:

Nope. Chained to the Rocks will only be a permanent after its ETB trigger has already triggered, which means it can't target stormbreath dragon. Trait Doctoring can't be cast until after its trigger has already resolved.

You target stormbreath dragon with trait doctoring, replace "white" with something else, then cast chained to the rocks, with can now target the dragon which doesn't have pro-white.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Death Bot posted:

I'm using 40 but honestly you might be right, I'm way too tired to be doing math right now

I think it's more like turn 10/11 in limited.

T0/1: 33 cards in opponent's library, no Grindclock
T2: 32 cards, Grindclock at 1
T3: 31 cards, Grindclock at 2
T4: 30 cards, Grindclock at 3
T5: 29 cards, Grindclock at 4
T6: 24 cards
T7: 19 cards
T8: 14 cards
T9: 9 cards
T10: 4 cards
Opponent loses on turn 11's draw step.

Regardless, I don't think the value of cards like Grindclock are in their potential to race, but in their inevitability. If you pick one early and then draft a deck focused on defense and gumming up the board to make games go longer, that could be a winning strategy in some formats. Never drafted SOM block though so I can't say how relevant it might have been there.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

cheetah7071 posted:

You target stormbreath dragon with trait doctoring, replace "white" with something else, then cast chained to the rocks, with can now target the dragon which doesn't have pro-white.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking trait doctoring would change colors, I forgot it just changes text. :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nibble posted:

I think it's more like turn 10/11 in limited.

T0/1: 33 cards in opponent's library, no Grindclock
T2: 32 cards, Grindclock at 1
T3: 31 cards, Grindclock at 2
T4: 30 cards, Grindclock at 3
T5: 29 cards, Grindclock at 4
T6: 24 cards
T7: 19 cards
T8: 14 cards
T9: 9 cards
T10: 4 cards
Opponent loses on turn 11's draw step.

Regardless, I don't think the value of cards like Grindclock are in their potential to race, but in their inevitability. If you pick one early and then draft a deck focused on defense and gumming up the board to make games go longer, that could be a winning strategy in some formats. Never drafted SOM block though so I can't say how relevant it might have been there.

SoM could go pretty long if you had a proliferate list with Tumble Magnets / Clasps. Incidentally proliferate also sped up Grindclock significantly.

I've had games go long enough to get Venser Emblem (and nearly empty my opponent's board with it, granted, a lot of that was just me messing around at that point), so I don't think killing with Grindclock and Common/Uncommon support cards in U/x proliferate is really hard.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 18, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a modern proliferate deck at all? I loved that mechanic - and it should work with the ROE levelers too, correct?

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Proliferate seems like it takes much too long to get going. In modern if you're facing something combo-y like living end, through the breach, or something you'd be dead before you have enough power on board.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Magic Online Announcements March 18, 2014

MOCS promo for April is Force of Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Yeah, Proliferate is way too durdly for Modern. Assuming that you played something relevant, and put counters on them turns 1 and 2, you'd get to Proliferate twice and then die.

• Locked thread