Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jose Mengelez posted:

Like smallville and its "meteor freaks"? I hope not.

Eh, it doesn't seem likely that the Arrow-verse will have any actual metahumans any time soon, so it'll probably be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Counter point: Static Shock and Bang Babies

Static Shock was my favorite of the WB cartoons back in the day, I wish they would bring him back in some fashion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krad posted:

Eh, it doesn't seem likely that the Arrow-verse will have any actual metahumans any time soon, so it'll probably be that.

Except for Flash and Slade.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mooseontheloose posted:

...and Grundy and Roy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Given that the majority of the rogues are gadget users (from the future) that seems a bit unnecessary.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean actual metahumans that are naturally born with powers. Is the term used for whoever has powers in the DCU? I thought it was the same as being a mutant in the Marvel universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krad posted:

I mean actual metahumans that are naturally born with powers. Is the term used for whoever has powers in the DCU? I thought it was the same as being a mutant in the Marvel universe.

There's a "meta gene" but the term Metahuman is kind of a catchall. Mostly because meta gene cases are also used to explain how previously normal people get powers from events that would normally kill someone.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krad posted:

I am a marvel guy but have heard Mr. Fantastic and Spider-Man referred to as metahuman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metahuman powers in DC also don't necessarily activate in their own like mutant powers do. The gene can be dormant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Counter point: Static Shock and Bang Babies

That's straight from the comics though.

e X posted:

Given that the majority of the rogues are gadget users (from the future) that seems a bit unnecessary.

Abra Kadabra and Professor Zoom are from the future. Kadabra's powers seem to wax back and forth between science and real magic. No one else that matters is from the future. The Rogues are mostly gadget based but in the new 52 many of internalized their powers.

And the gadgets aren't from the future either, most of them developed or stole them.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 18, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
He might be thinking of this one storyline from before the New 52 kicked in where basically the descendants/legacy characters of the Rogues from the future came back to try and take down Barry. Otherwise though, yeah, the Rogues are basically just a bunch of guys who lucked themselves into highly advanced technology, at least in most cases (and even in the New 52, the integrated powers thing is only after they already had the tech, and doesn't even stick with all of them).

I will say though, the Flash series probably has a lot more room when it comes to introducing superpowered characters than compared to Arrow. It was a similar kinda deal with Superman TAS after Batman TAS - though there were rare exceptions, the latter was considered too ground level/serious to go completely out there with the more fantastical characters that could appear in the DCU. So when the team got to do Superman of all characters, they realised that same issue no longer applied so hard, if at all. As a result, we got Lobo, Green Lantern, Doctor Fate, Steel, the Legion of Superheroes, the Flash, and just in general it laid probably more of the real groundwork for the DCAU because Superman was free to interact with the more out there elements. So CW could do this with Flash as well, though they also may not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Batman still has some pretty fantastical characters like Clayface and Poison Ivy that were not really grounded in any kind of reality.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

Batman still has some pretty fantastical characters like Clayface and Poison Ivy that were not really grounded in any kind of reality.

Yes, but they're also part of his villain cast, which gives them a pass. The closest Batman got prior to the airing of Superman TAS (and thus not counting the Creeper from the New Batman Adventures) was Zatanna, and even she was non-powered in her one appearance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Interesting.

Spoiler from the you tube clip.
Deadshot has a load of pictures of one child in his cell. I'm guessing that they are going with the angle that he has a daughter.

Double Secret Spoiler based on the You Tube clip AND speculation from comic knowledge.
In the comics, his daughter was called Zoe and from Star city. She appeared in the second Deadshot mini series.
Let's just hope they aren't going to include with what happened to Floyd's firstborn child. :(

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Have they used that logo at the end of the trailer before? I don't think I've ever seen it but I do like it.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
As far as I can tell the Arrow/Deathstroke figure two-pack hasn't shipped yet... and both figures are woefully out of date. Ollie's got the wrong bow and still using eyeblack instead of his mask, and the Deathstroke costume is based on the one from the island.

I can't think of another show that's outpaced its own merchandising.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

As far as I can tell the Arrow/Deathstroke figure two-pack hasn't shipped yet... and both figures are woefully out of date. Ollie's got the wrong bow and still using eyeblack instead of his mask, and the Deathstroke costume is based on the one from the island.

They're not out of date, I'm sure they'll have multiple iterations, or have alternate costumes you can purchase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

They come out tomorrow.

Drifter posted:

They're not out of date, I'm sure they'll have multiple iterations, or have alternate costumes you can purchase.

You don't know much about DC Direct do you? Be happy we're getting anything (forcing us into a 2-pack is bullshit) and pray that Hot Toys makes one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hot Toys gets too close. It can be a bit creepy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Hot Toys gets too close. It can be a bit creepy.

Having seen the Arrow 2-pack, anything will be better. The figure is incredibly lovely.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Rhyno posted:

Having seen the Arrow 2-pack, anything will be better. The figure is incredibly lovely.

I was thinking of getting them for my desk at the office, but maybe I'll grab the Arkham Origins Deathstroke and the New 52 Green Arrow and just pretend. :sigh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

I was thinking of getting them for my desk at the office, but maybe I'll grab the Arkham Origins Deathstroke and the New 52 Green Arrow and just pretend. :sigh:

The N52 Deathstroke and the Arkham one are both far better than what comes in the 2-pack.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Have they used that logo at the end of the trailer before? I don't think I've ever seen it but I do like it.

I think that logo is on all the episode trailers. Looks better than the standard Arrow logo in my opinion (like the one on the season one bluray cover).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Arrow is back at last tonight. The one week break felt a lot longer. The CW has built up enough goodwill with me, for me to give The 100 a try for 2-3 episodes and make Wednesday night's a full CW night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ruh roh (spoiler from the BoP ep).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Welp

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Laurel confirmed as nightwing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the worst Black Canary costume yet!

That's next week, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's your lackluster Arrow figures.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Are Ollie's pants and top a different shade of green?

Is it like that on the show and I never noticed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's the worst Black Canary costume yet!

That's next week, right?

I think so. It's not this week anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Arrow is the only thing that makes me :f5: life

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jose Mengelez posted:

Laurel confirmed as nightwing.

No no no Laurel will be Red Hood

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Someone's gonna break a finger holding it like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Drifter posted:

Someone's gonna break a finger holding it like that.

I'm actually annoyed at myself over how much that bugs me. Why would you ever hold it like that, it's basically just a stick. :psyduck:

Maybe she's about to use it to point to something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just hope they can justify whatever they plan to do with her character better than taking self-defense classes at the Y. I mean, this is a show where all the main fighters have years of training on the battlefield or with magic assassins or have superscience in their blood, and being a special forces operative barely clears you for second-tier.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

VDay posted:

I'm actually annoyed at myself over how much that bugs me. Why would you ever hold it like that, it's basically just a stick. :psyduck:

Maybe she's about to use it to point to something.

Maybe she's a wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just hope they can justify whatever they plan to do with her character better than taking self-defense classes at the Y. I mean, this is a show where all the main fighters have years of training on the battlefield or with magic assassins or have superscience in their blood, and being a special forces operative barely clears you for second-tier.

It would be a huge stretch but also you don't go from party boy to ultimate badass in five years no matter what.

• Locked thread