Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Gerblyn, on a rather unrelated note, who makes those archdruid/theocrat videos and so on? Is he Dutch? His accent bothers me because I can't quite figure out where it's from. :v:

I do, though I'm a bit embarrassed by the whole thing :shobon: I'm from the UK.

OwlFancier posted:

Somewhere in England I think, he sounds northern to me but we have so many accents over here that it's hard to pinpoint people.

I do enjoy his commentary on the videos though, nice speaking cadence makes it easy to follow.

South actually, the Midlands, but I've lived in Holland for 9 years so my accent is kind of weird now.

And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

South actually, the Midlands, but I've lived in Holland for 9 years so my accent is kind of weird now.

And thanks!

Oops! Well I knew there was some Dutch in there. Us Belgians had to rely on our Dutchman-detection skills to survive for centuries.

I love your expressions though. Knife fight in a cupboard is the gift that keeps on giving. If you ad libbed that, props to you.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Man, your videos are awesome. Normally I find gameplay videos kind of boring, but you're one of the better commentators I've seen.

Knife fight in a cupboard is such a great line.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

quill18 is uploading some Dwarven theocrat videos and is not frustrating to watch him play unlike the other people who are playing this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMXiSzW1Gg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

quill18 is uploading some Dwarven theocrat videos and is not frustrating to watch him play unlike the other people who are playing this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMXiSzW1Gg

The German LPers aren't frustrating, just not very helpful because the extent of my German is being able to say things like 'the dog is on the wardrobe'.

I had trouble finding many English speaking LPers when I did a quick search, and I caught a bit of his livestream the other day so it's nice he's youtubing it. It may be on his twitch archive too.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The German LPers aren't frustrating, just not very helpful because the extent of my German is being able to say things like 'the dog is on the wardrobe'.

I had trouble finding many English speaking LPers when I did a quick search, and I caught a bit of his livestream the other day so it's nice he's youtubing it. It may be on his twitch archive too.

Oh the German ones are the quite good actually, I used to follow one guy and he was quite decent. It's English ones that kinda are frustrating to watch. And yeah the whole thing is on archives

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
For some reason it's annoying to watch people who play games like this on "normal" difficulty.
Come on, you know 85% of the gameplay just by having played similar games for years - do 15 min of research and try to make it a bit of a challenge on the hardest settings. It would shock me if the AI is some sort of genius in games like these.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Daktari posted:

For some reason it's annoying to watch people who play games like this on "normal" difficulty.
Come on, you know 85% of the gameplay just by having played similar games for years - do 15 min of research and try to make it a bit of a challenge on the hardest settings. It would shock me if the AI is some sort of genius in games like these.

I don't know if that's such a good idea. Some TBS games don't pull their punches. There's this one called "Age of Wonders 1", you might have heard of it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: Whoah, wrong thread. Not even close, sorry.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know stats are subject to change, but do we have any noteworthy strategies developing yet? I still want to run a musket-cannon-engineer heavy dreadnought army with a focus on keeping ammunition in the air, with cavalry/tanks/other auxiliary units riding nearby. Based on the videos I've seen the musketmen have a decent melee attack as well as the devastating ranged attack. Are there any specific hard counters for them?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I know stats are subject to change, but do we have any noteworthy strategies developing yet? I still want to run a musket-cannon-engineer heavy dreadnought army with a focus on keeping ammunition in the air, with cavalry/tanks/other auxiliary units riding nearby. Based on the videos I've seen the musketmen have a decent melee attack as well as the devastating ranged attack. Are there any specific hard counters for them?

They have relatively short range and can only fire once before having to reload, which I think takes an extra turn or two. The fact they have short range makes them vulnerable to cavalry with the charge ability and presumably blind effects.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Demiurge4 posted:

They have relatively short range and can only fire once before having to reload, which I think takes an extra turn or two. The fact they have short range makes them vulnerable to cavalry with the charge ability and presumably blind effects.

Well the idea was to have enough engineers in the stack to make sure every musketman can fire every turn (I think 1 engineer to 2 musketmen). But blind effects are pretty nasty and yeah there's some serious damage dealing in a charge. But yeah, I guess the musketmen can't always tank enough damage for everyone to close the range.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One thing I didn't really get in the various LP videos is class match-ups. Like, I'd assume dreadnaughts ability to gently caress up the land would be real bad for a druid.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Dreadnaughts are one of the more powerful classes at the moment. Machines are all immune to spirit and blight, so Theocrats, Rogues and Goblins have a hard time dealing with them. However most machines have shock damage weakness, which makes them vulnerable to Elves and Sorcerers. I recently discovered that an Elf Storm Sister can actually shut down the Dreadnaught's tier 4 landship completely, since it has Stunning Touch and that works via the Electrical damage channel, and the Landship has a 40% weakness to it. Of course, the Storm Sister would need to actually get to the landship without being blown to pieces by mortar fire, which is easier said than done...

The landship treechopping thing is bad news for Elves, since they get morale/city happiness bonuses from forests. The Archdruid is bothered the least, since they have a spell that creates forests.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 18, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Elf... Storm Sister? :swoon:

I noticed from watching the videos that your more then just the race/class choice too, you can choose to master certain spheres as well? Whats the impact of that?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm tempted to start my first game on an all forest map with 3 elven druids against my orc dreadnaught and a rogue dwarf or something thrown in for kicks. Then just flood the surface with landtrains, burning all that sweet sweet forest for our war furnaces.

Edit: Gerblyn how are your profits distributed btw? I'm tempted to grab the game off a key site for 26€ because that's my cheapest option. But I also want to support you guys so I'm leaning towards steam since you'd probably get a bigger cut.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 18, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Make it slightly tougher on yourself, 3 elven druids and one elven sorc (higher AI level) vs you and 1 rogue (equal to the druids). :getin:

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm tempted to start my first game on an all forest map with 3 elven druids against my orc dreadnaught and a rogue dwarf or something thrown in for kicks. Then just flood the surface with landtrains, burning all that sweet sweet forest for our war furnaces.

Edit: Gerblyn how are your profits distributed btw? I'm tempted to grab the game off a key site for 26€ because that's my cheapest option. But I also want to support you guys so I'm leaning towards steam since you'd probably get a bigger cut.
I wouldn't be suprised if the dollar = euro fuckery was a publisher thing and the devs get the same amount either way.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Mastery just gives you access to the most powerful spells in the school.

For example, Fire Mastery unlocks:

Fire Halo -> Single Unit Buff, 100% fire immunity, +1 fire damage
Tropical Empire -> Spreads tropical terrain slowly out from all your cities and forts
Summon Fire Elemental
Hellfire -> Does a hilariously huge amount of damage to all units on the battlefield

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm afraid I can't really answer this question, I can say that generally the more you spend, the more money we receive as a company.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh well, worth a shot.

I'm watching Quill18's third play video and while he's actually fairly competent he keeps making correct assumptions about game mechanics and what the correct choice is, and then does the exact opposite for no reason.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

Mastery just gives you access to the most powerful spells in the school.

For example, Fire Mastery unlocks:

Fire Halo -> Single Unit Buff, 100% fire immunity, +1 fire damage
Tropical Empire -> Spreads tropical terrain slowly out from all your cities and forts
Summon Fire Elemental
Hellfire -> Does a hilariously huge amount of damage to all units on the battlefield

I'm afraid I can't really answer this question, I can say that generally the more you spend, the more money we receive as a company.

So spending points in a certain sphere unlocks spells attached to that sphere as a whole, right? I'm assuming its more then just mastery. Initiate / Adept / Master or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Daktari posted:

The combat AI does look rather good, actually. They don't seem to fall for you sending all your tough and buffed units up front, they will try to find weak units to attack.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh well, worth a shot.

I'm watching Quill18's third play video and while he's actually fairly competent he keeps making correct assumptions about game mechanics and what the correct choice is, and then does the exact opposite for no reason.

I think he's like still testing around and seeing if his assumptions are correct. Like with the wounded units dealing the same amount of damage

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The combat AI does look rather good, actually. They don't seem to fall for you sending all your tough and buffed units up front, they will try to find weak units to attack.

Possibly taking it too far the other way, to the extent of taking multiple oppertunity attacks to hit a weak unit in the back.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Possibly taking it too far the other way, to the extent of taking multiple oppertunity attacks to hit a weak unit in the back.

Not sure how old the build he has is, but the AI seems to be something they're still tweaking and messing with right down to the wire, and stuff like that are things they've mentioned they're still looking at.

Something I'm not really clear on with spells, there are unique spells for each class, and there are spells for each circle right? So are there just, for example, Theocrat T3 and Fire T3 spells independently? No Theocrat+Fire T3 spells or anything like that right?

Also not to get too far off topic, but following that guy's LP to some Warlock 2 vids and that game is actually looking pretty good too. Looks like they're at least putting in a decent stab at fixing most of the big problems of the original, and there's a ton of new content. Shame it comes out less than 2 weeks after this game, that's really kind of unfortunate.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I heard rumors that if you buy warlock 2 when pre-ordering goes live this Thursday you get access to the beta. I would totally bite if that's true and it also only costs $20 like the last game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Shadowmorn posted:

So spending points in a certain sphere unlocks spells attached to that sphere as a whole, right? I'm assuming its more then just mastery. Initiate / Adept / Master or something?

You only get 3 points, and each sphere has two levels (adept/master). Adept usually has some useful spells, but the big guns are all in the master levels.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Played the poo poo out of this series when I was a kid/teenager, I'm so excited. I remember your beta tester BloodyBattleBrain I think from the competitive multiplayer league for aow1, played with him a bunch. Did you guys hire any of the big modders like Dwigg? Now that was a good mod

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

You only get 3 points, and each sphere has two levels (adept/master). Adept usually has some useful spells, but the big guns are all in the master levels.

But you also can spend those points on Explorer and Expander right? Those just have one level I guess? Those looked like the only two other specializations I saw, not sure if I'm missing something.

Edit: Yep, looks like that's how it is.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 19, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

After seeing how ridiculous some of the leader customization postures get I really hope someone mods in JoJo poses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think the blindfold looks like a pair of giant shades.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Watching some of the videos linked so far, and god drat im so happy with the new music.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm just going to listen to Battle macabre 2.0 on a loop on release day.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh well, worth a shot.

What bothers me the most about him is that he assumes the auto-pathing is good, so he just right clicks enemies to attack instead of moving then attacking for a flanking attack.
That and the fact that he moves his ranged units that doesn't multiply ranged attacks like it matters how far they move before firing. Dwarf ranged units are ultra-mobile because they don't have to save up action points to hit harder at range!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

What bothers me the most about him is that he assumes the auto-pathing is good, so he just right clicks enemies to attack instead of moving then attacking for a flanking attack.
That and the fact that he moves his ranged units that doesn't multiply ranged attacks like it matters how far they move before firing. Dwarf ranged units are ultra-mobile because they don't have to save up action points to hit harder at range!

I haven't watched any AoW3 videos, but at least in 2 it often made sense to move your ranged units closer so that they would be more likely to hit.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Elyv posted:

I haven't watched any AoW3 videos, but at least in 2 it often made sense to move your ranged units closer so that they would be more likely to hit.

There's no chance to hit in AoW3, but if you are outside of your effective range then ranged shots will do 50% less damage. Also line of site being partially blocked lowers damage by 50% as well, and that counts for units being in the way. Not sure if those are additive or multiplicative though.

Also not sure if "effective range" is a calculated thing (like, always half maximum range) or a separate stat or what. Not sure if shooting through your own units can actually damage them or not either.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pre-Ordered this on a whim hoping it replaces the disappointment that was HOMM6 for me. Lookin good so far.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's no chance to hit in AoW3, but if you are outside of your effective range then ranged shots will do 50% less damage. Also line of site being partially blocked lowers damage by 50% as well, and that counts for units being in the way. Not sure if those are additive or multiplicative though.

Also not sure if "effective range" is a calculated thing (like, always half maximum range) or a separate stat or what. Not sure if shooting through your own units can actually damage them or not either.

Effective range is half the range, rounding up. Most attacks have a range of 5, so effective range is 3. Standing on walls boosts range by 2 (so range 7, effective to 4).

Line of sight and Long Range penalties multiply, so damage will drop to 25% if you have both. Also, some range weapons are "Straight Shot", which means the LOS penalty is 75% instead of 50%, so bows are better at shooting over obstacles than muskets.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Do straight shot units still have the ability to shoot through adjacent units with no LoS penalty as well?

Also, there are those blue circles in hexes to tell you what your range is right, I can't tell for sure but is there any indicator between effective and not-effective range on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Do straight shot units still have the ability to shoot through adjacent units with no LoS penalty as well?

Also, there are those blue circles in hexes to tell you what your range is right, I can't tell for sure but is there any indicator between effective and not-effective range on them?

Yeah, straight shot can shoot through adjacent units. We used to have far more restrictive rules for LoS but they were frustrating and hard to understand. The core problem was that a player would see a shot was blocked but found it hard to see exactly where to move and not be blocked. So, it was trial and error, you'd move a bit, be blocked, move again, etc. We couldn't really solve that, so we just made it less punishing to the players, so straight shot can now shoot through walls and units with a heavy penalty. If you want to see what the Line Of Sight rules *could* have been like, then play Blackguards, which has extremely strict rules in that area.

I don't think we ever added ground indicators to show effective range, it's a good idea too. I'd say "I'll add it now" but we're on total lock down, so I'm not allowed to.

Edit: I tell a lie, there is an indicator. The line of sight preview line changes color when it leaves effective range, so you can see how far out of range a target is by looking at where the line turns yellow.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread