Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Really good to know, hell yes

I think that I want to goof off with building a bandpass or bandstop filter to see if I can figure out how to knock down some of the FM broadcast and uberpagers here. if I can figure out how to switch a filter in and out of circuit I think I can build a box that would hook up to Raspi GPIO pins to turn them on and off. but first i'd just build a single filter, get it working, then add diode switching, scale up from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I finally got my pigtail so i hooked up my UT-106 and i can now dial down the gain to just 22 or so instead of like 40.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also I'm listening to an FM broadcast at 863 MHz with some really, REALLY weird stuff when listened out of context. Audio clips from movies or smth??? :confused:

e: it's Ocean's 13 now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

Also I'm listening to an FM broadcast at 863 MHz with some really, REALLY weird stuff when listened out of context. Audio clips from movies or smth??? :confused:

e: it's Ocean's 13 now.

somebody's wireless speakers? weird that it's showing up there though. suspecting intermod. is it a clean good signal?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody's wireless speakers? weird that it's showing up there though. suspecting intermod. is it a clean good signal?

Ah that's probably it. It's weak but the signal is solid.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I checked and Ocean's 13 IS on right now soooo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uploading an IQ file you can plug into SDR#, it has 3 signals you can differentiate. 1 is very weak but intelligible, 1 is a commercial, and 1 is ocean's 13.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78880053/SDRSharp_20140317_212914Z_863962kHz_IQ.wav

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hittin' it. ill take a look

isnt amazing that you can do something like that at all?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wtf that's weird. clean signals, sounds fine. where the hell are you that remote links like this are coming up on 863 mhz? the only other explanation i can give is images/intermod, but you got 3 good carriers there

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

wtf that's weird. clean signals, sounds fine. where the hell are you that remote links like this are coming up on 863 mhz? the only other explanation i can give is images/intermod, but you got 3 good carriers there

Yeah, no clue. I'll have to do some triangulation or something.

It's probably someone's wireless headphones or something, because i did find out that 863 is used by wireless microphones and headphones here in europe.
I do live in a large apartment complex so there's a lot of signal density here anyway.

I should really get a transmitter for those frequencies and start loving with people.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weird poo poo for the day: the world's last remaining non-electronic radio transmitter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varberg_Radio_Station

quote:

The transmitter was built in 1922 to 1924;[1] to operate at 17.2 kHz, although it is designed to operate on frequencies up to 40 kHz. The antenna is a 1.9 km (1.2 mile) flattop wire aerial consisting of eight horizontal wires suspended on six 127-metre high freestanding steel pylons in a line, that function as a capacitive top-load to feed energy to six grounded vertical wire radiating elements.

hook a loving generator to an antenna and spin it such that it works at 17,200 hertz instead of your normal 50/60. Add a switch in line. Boom, an EMP-proof transmitter that requires more mechanical than electrical engineers to service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexanderson_alternator

They have a page where you can tune into the thing during its special broadcasts. the process:

-hook up an amplifier to a long rear end piece of wire
-hook the amp to your computer sound card
-that's it

it's basically SDR but you're not downconverting the frequency any

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

Jonny 290 posted:

Really good to know, hell yes

I think that I want to goof off with building a bandpass or bandstop filter to see if I can figure out how to knock down some of the FM broadcast and uberpagers here. if I can figure out how to switch a filter in and out of circuit I think I can build a box that would hook up to Raspi GPIO pins to turn them on and off. but first i'd just build a single filter, get it working, then add diode switching, scale up from there

When I get home tonight, let me see what I can whip up in ADS. I feel like need to do something useful. Do you have any preference in how quickly the rejection band drops?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zap! posted:

When I get home tonight, let me see what I can whip up in ADS. I feel like need to do something useful. Do you have any preference in how quickly the rejection band drops?

Not at all - just don't want to design something too picky that my gorilla hands can't build it, haha. My main pain is at 103.9 MHz, of course the local powerhouse has to be 'modern country'......

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

of course the local powerhouse has to be 'pop with accents'......

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

hook a loving generator to an antenna and spin it such that it works at 17,200 hertz instead of your normal 50/60. Add a switch in line. Boom, an EMP-proof transmitter that requires more mechanical than electrical engineers to service

i'm the seventeen zillion poles

I wonder if it's possible to carefully tune a tesla coil and transmit via arc antenna

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
if the input level to the PSA4 is is less than about -30 dBm you shouldn't need to put filters at the antenna

here's some instructions i found on amplitude calibration https://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?391657-RTL-2832u-R820T-SDR-as-a-Spectrum-Analyser

using this my local super strong intermod-generator 80s station reads at about -55 dBm at this end of the coax, if i did my math right then the intermod from this station assuming about -50 dBm into the antenna would appear at -110 dBm (OIP3 at +30 dBm, gain = 25 dB -> IOP3 = +5dBm, delta signal is 55 dBm, intermod appears at -55*2 dBm), which happens to be the noise floor of this receiver

but putting a filter before the SDR dongle makes perfect sense since we usually want the maximum gain in the dongle without intermod to overcome the A/D and mixer noise floor

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
this thread has got me ordering an sdr dongle from ebay now so i can learn about radio fuckery like you guys

hey spankmeister is this like the one you got that works in 'yurp?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DVB-T-USB-2-...=item19c65baba2

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Ripoff posted:

this thread has got me ordering an sdr dongle from ebay now so i can learn about radio fuckery like you guys

that looks identical to the one i got i just picked whoever had the most sold, or verkauft

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PuTTY riot posted:

that looks identical to the one i got i just picked whoever had the most sold, or verkauft

ordered it, now gotta figure out if i want to install windows 7 on the mbp to play with the radio waves or if i should just use the old desktop box

looking forward to scanning the airwaves and not understanding what the gently caress is going on

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i want to listen to greybeards rant about obama and communism! what do I need to buy to do this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

in before "a computer"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

in before "a computer"

i guess one of those dongles like i just bought, burn custom firmware, install software package, listen to guys piss and moan all day

i'm looking forward to trying to listen in on some irc chat things and airplane transponders, it just sounds cool as gently caress and has always fascinated me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a radio

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
jonny what's the cheapest way to moonbounce?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ripoff posted:

i guess one of those dongles like i just bought, burn custom firmware, install software package, listen to guys piss and moan all day

i'm looking forward to trying to listen in on some irc chat things and airplane transponders, it just sounds cool as gently caress and has always fascinated me

oh yeah i read about the digital TV dongles that could be reprogrammed to receive any part of the spectrum worth listening to. i should get one of those though i figured once tech nerds figured that out they'd get expensive

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh yeah i read about the digital TV dongles that could be reprogrammed to receive any part of the spectrum worth listening to. i should get one of those though i figured once tech nerds figured that out they'd get expensive

nah mine was like 13 EUR and in the good ol USA you can probably expect around $10

its cheap chinese poo poo that i fully expect to work for no more than 3 months before burning out but that little money for entertainment is well worth it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crankit posted:

the easy answer is 'build a moderate station and set up a schedule with a famous big gun EME operator'. technically? i wouldnt even try without four high-gain yagi antennas (like 20+ foot booms at 2 meters), $3.00 a foot coaxial cable, between 500 and 1000 watts of RF power, low noise preamps and a lot of planning and patience. and even then you're pretty much back to the above, schedule contact attempts with a big dude and see if his superior antennas can make up your shortcomings. figure no less than five grand to get yr feet wet

Luigi Thirty posted:

on the contrary it's introduced a shitload of people to radio and the factories are openly packaging them as "DTV/SDR stick" devices. nooelec is 100% on board. i think we hit that critical mass point where its sensible for them to scale up the chip fabs, and the manufacturers dont care if we're watchint dtv or sticking them up our butts

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 18, 2014

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
before installing win7 there is a mac port of gqrx which works "ok" except i have to move the mouse cursor in circles as the program opens or there's a good chance the keyboard and trackpad will lock up & i need to hard reset

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Ripoff posted:

ordered it, now gotta figure out if i want to install windows 7 on the mbp to play with the radio waves or if i should just use the old desktop box

looking forward to scanning the airwaves and not understanding what the gently caress is going on

u can put the dongle on ur desktop and run it over ur LAN but idk if theres a mac client.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

I wonder if it's possible to carefully tune a tesla coil and transmit via arc antenna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter ???

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ripoff posted:

Genau wie meine.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

the easy answer is 'build a moderate station and set up a schedule with a famous big gun EME operator'. technically? i wouldnt even try without four high-gain yagi antennas (like 20+ foot booms at 2 meters), $3.00 a foot coaxial cable, between 500 and 1000 watts of RF power, low noise preamps and a lot of planning and patience. and even then you're pretty much back to the above, schedule contact attempts with a big dude and see if his superior antennas can make up your shortcomings. figure no less than five grand to get yr feet wet

gently caress

Jonny 290 posted:

on the contrary it's introduced a shitload of people to radio and the factories are openly packaging them as "DTV/SDR stick" devices. nooelec is 100% on board. i think we hit that critical mass point where its sensible for them to scale up the chip fabs, and the manufacturers dont care if we're watchint dtv or sticking them up our butts

the stick at least partially got me into radio.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Crankit posted:

its not moonbouncing but theres a sat w/ a VHF repeater that's fun to try to contact

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

in about two hours we're going to go out and see if we can pick up Saudisat SO-50

dis guy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i should see if there are any passes tonight, maybe drag the rigs out

http://heavens-above.com/

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/tools/predict/

oh and http://oscar.dcarr.org/ is the drudge report of ham satellites. once in a while you'll see my call pop up in the thanks list :)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 19, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
testin the uhf discone

i will never attempt to solder eight pieces of brass to copper pipe cap again

the top was a bitch and it was still way easier to do

its really solid tho

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

testin the uhf discone

i will never attempt to solder eight pieces of brass to copper pipe cap again

the top was a bitch and it was still way easier to do

its really solid tho

im the paint roller mark on the ceiling. my daughter's room has a few

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah i was waiting for somebody to say "nice dust bunny, slob" so i could be all "nah i just suck with a paint roller"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i think u have the same probably-asbestos popcorn ceiling my rental does

• Locked thread