Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Vermain posted:

It's implied to be the taxi driver, who is, in reality, Cain, progenitor of all vampires. It's why he's got a spooky dark aura at the very end.

It even says it's him in some of the voice files, as a few of the cabbie files are named after him. Though even mentioning that online is liable to have a purist try and rip your head off with justifications for why it isn't.

Like just about everything in the OWOD there's justification for it being either or. There's a bit of a nod to it in the main books from what I recall. There's a vampire that is impersonating Cain that could have fit the bill. But even that is up in the air as to whether or not it's the same person as the cabbie, as your vampire character gets like centuries worth of power over a very short period of time. Something that in the OWoD setting isn't normally possible without doing something very unethical (Diablerization.) or having an extreme heavyweight like Cain backing you up.

Keep in mind that one of Cain's theoretical powers (Outside of being able to pretty much do anything.) is the ability to boost a vampire up in strength. Something the fake couldn't do. And it'd be suitably manipulative for Cain to masquerade as himself, using a fake version of himself to gently caress with other vampires in the setting that he didn't like as a cover.

Plus, as the cabbie he's in a great position to monitor your progress without raising suspicion too. At least until the Malkavian PC realizes what's up. :v:

Suffice to say that this game has an insanely high amount of detail to it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Archonex posted:

It even says it's him in some of the voice files, as a few of the cabbie files are named after him. Though even mentioning that online is liable to have a purist try and rip your head off with justifications for why it isn't.

Like just about everything in the OWOD there's justification for it being either or. There's a bit of a nod to it in the main books from what I recall. There's a vampire that is impersonating Cain that could have fit the bill. But even that is up in the air as to whether or not it's the same person as the cabbie, as your vampire character gets like centuries worth of power over a very short period of time.

Keep in mind that one of Cain's theoretical powers (Outside of being able to pretty much do anything.) is the ability to boost a vampire up in strength. Something the fake couldn't do. And it'd be suitably manipulative for Cain to masquerade as himself, using a fake version of himself to gently caress with other vampires in the setting that he didn't like as a cover.

Suffice to say that this game has an insanely high amount of detail to it.

Does the player character really get that much of a power boost compared to the pen&paper?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

double nine posted:

Does the player character really get that much of a power boost compared to the pen&paper?

Maybe they changed it in later editions, but from what I recall there's pretty much no way you could take on some of the stuff you did alone without getting ripped limb from limb. Short of a few shortcuts vampires can take, generation is a big deal in the OWoD.

Ming Xaio for instance should have been able to tear you apart. A number of other things can potentially occur later on too that are odd and go against how things are in the early game sections. Like the fact that you can resist La Croix's dominate ability, which pretty much out and out states that some hinky poo poo is going on since you pointedly can't do that in the early game.

A number of NPC conversations also imply you're getting stronger at a stupidly fast rate, which would coincide with the theory that Caine is boosting your generation between the various time skips and other events.

What makes this hilarious is that Smiling Jack supposedly met Caine around the time frame of the game. So given how duplicitous the two are it's certainly not impossible and would fit with the theme of the storyline in Bloodlines.

Really, it boils down to personal canon though. This is a setting where they released a number of potential endings to the OWoD since they left so much up to interpretation. So you could just assume the PC is a mutant or something if you really wanted.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 18, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, Troika has a bad history when it comes to releasing buggy messes--let's not kid ourselves, it would have still been a mess on release.
That said, Activision is at fault for the rushed last act of the game, and Valve does bear a bit of the blame for the timing constraint--they couldn't release before Half Life 2, but it's Activision who decided to release it on the same day, which is like dropping off your infant at Dingo's Daycare. Even a 2 week delay might have given it some air and still shipped in time for Christmas.

Well, I still give Valve a lot of blame because they gave Troika a much earlier build of the engine and wouldn't let them update to a newer one. Half-life 2 HAD to be the first example of the Source engine working at it's prime and they wouldn't allow anything to steal its thunder.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Archonex posted:

Maybe they changed it in later editions, but from what I recall there's pretty much no way you could take on some of the stuff you did head on alone without getting ripped limb from limb. Ming Xaio for instance should have been able to tear you apart. A number of other things can potentially occur later on too, like the fact that you can resist La Croix's dominate ability, which pretty much out and out states that some hinky poo poo is going on later on.

A number of NPC conversations also imply you're getting stronger at a stupidly fast rate, which would coincide with the theory that Caine is boosting your generation between the various time skips and other events.

What makes this hilarious is that Smiling Jack has supposedly met Caine around the time frame of the game. So given how duplicitous the two are it's certainly not impossible, and would fit with the theme of the storyline in Bloodlines.

While the theory is a nice ego boost for the player, I don't see what Kain/Cabbie would be concerned with Lacroix or the La Vampires. He's a pretty low on the totem pole vampire, all things considered, and could easily be removed with less convoluted methods than the ones involved.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

double nine posted:

While the theory is a nice ego boost for the player, I don't see what Kain/Cabbie would be concerned with Lacroix or the La Vampires. He's a pretty low on the totem pole vampire, all things considered, and could easily be removed with less convoluted methods than the ones involved.

They never really state why, but then a lot of stuff in the OWoD canon is left up to your own interpretation.

For all we know Smiling Jack asked him for a favor, and said he'd get a few laughs out of the chaos that'd ensue. La Croix is enough of a backstabbing little poo poo that one interpretation of Caine would probably go for it.

It's probably one of those things that would have gotten fleshed out more if the release hadn't been such a poo poo storm. As it is all we've got is the voice files and the Malkavian's epic freakout (along with their prophetic craziness) that confirm he's there. No reason exists as to why though, as far as I know. Maybe someone who's poked around the game files a bit more could say for sure.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 18, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
When you've lived as long has he has I'm assuming getting up to some mischief now and again is pretty much the only thing keeping you from just going to sleep forever. And mischief in their case just happens to be "kill these powerful vampires and scare everyone else."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

double nine posted:

Put it this way, your character goes from being a fresh vampire that doesn't even know what he is to being one of the most powerful Kindred in the city in the space of like a week. To give a better sense of it, vampires are considered Neonates for like the first 200 years of their lives, and Elders are pretty much all over 500 years old. By the end you kick the poo poo out of like 3 Elders in this game.

It'd be like Luke becoming a Jedi Master and kicking Darth Vader's rear end in the space of flying from Tattooine to Alderaan in the first Star Wars movie.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Put it this way, your character goes from being a fresh vampire that doesn't even know what he is to being one of the most powerful Kindred in the city in the space of like a week. To give a better sense of it, vampires are considered Neonates for like the first 200 years of their lives, and Elders are pretty much all over 500 years old. By the end you kick the poo poo out of like 3 Elders in this game.

It'd be like Luke becoming a Jedi Master and kicking Darth Vader's rear end in the space of flying from Tattooine to Alderaan in the first Star Wars movie.

But doesn't that depend a lot on your generation, something the player doesn't get any information on... For all we know our Sire was gen6 while the elders we face are gen9...?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Archonex posted:

His model texture filenames specifically refer to him as Caine (models/character/npc/unique/santa_monica/caine/cainebody for example)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

double nine posted:

But doesn't that depend a lot on your generation, something the player doesn't get any information on... For all we know our Sire was gen6 while the elders we face are gen9...?

It wouldn't matter. A decade old 4th gen would probably still get easily murdered by a 12th gen Ancilla, unless he/she got lucky with Dominate or something and even then would only have the basic Discipline powers vs the Ancilla maybe having a bit of Obfuscate or Celerity and would just rip the Neonate in half before he/she realized what was going on.

Generation doesn't automatically make you powerful, it still takes time and practice to learn to use your powers. It doesn't even make it any easier or quicker to grow in power, if anything being a weak Neonate with a low generation would be a huge liability because everyone and their sire would be trying to diablerize you.

In this game there's no way you have a low generation because knowing LaCroix's history, he would have immediately diablerized you, plus his Dominate would never have worked on you in the first place. They make it pretty clear that you're practically a thin blood and are only 13th, maybe 12th generation. Jack is 10th, LaCroix is 8th or 9th, Andrei is 9th or 10th, Nines and Co are all 11th and higher, Beckett is 7th, so yeah... Generation variation is minor at best. As it is they're basically all too weak to even have the really powerful Disciplines other than Beckett and, oddly enough, The Sheriff.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 18, 2014

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Archonex posted:

There's a bit of a nod to it in the main books from what I recall. There's a vampire that is impersonating Cain that could have fit the bill. But even that is up in the air as to whether or not it's the same person as the cabbie, as your vampire character gets like centuries worth of power over a very short period of time. Something that in the OWoD setting isn't normally possible without doing something very unethical (Diablerization.) or having an extreme heavyweight like Cain backing you up.

I'm curious, what book is that power detailed in?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gyrotica posted:

I'm curious, what book is that power detailed in?

None of Caine or the 2nd generation's powers are really detailed anywhere, they're always put under a deus ex machina umbrella of 'whatever the gently caress you want' because they are just that drat powerful. There are scattered references in the VtM20 book, though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Fuzz posted:

None of Caine or the 2nd generation's powers are really detailed anywhere, they're always put under a deus ex machina umbrella of 'whatever the gently caress you want' because they are just that drat powerful. There are scattered references in the VtM20 book, though.

Also, he shows up in whatever novels it is that has Beckett palling around the world with him and a few other vamps. He pulls the exact same schtick of pretending to be someone else, albeit with a bad greek accent instead of being a cabbie.

It seems to be a thing of his, really. Unfortunately I don't have them, and I can't find offhandedly find a reference to which books he actually physically shows up in, but a quick google search online shows that the whole "incognito appraisal of a younger vampire" thing is kind of a schtick of his. Here's a quote from the novels that I dug up. Spoilered, since it kind of lays out the entire reason behind why he'd be watching the PC in the game.

quote:

“Caine?” Kapaneus’ eyes grew distant. “If I had to guess, Beckett… I imagine Caine would long since have grown weary of watching his descendents squabble among one another and torment the kine on whom they fed. I imagine he would long ago have sought out a place of solitude, somewhere he could await the final nights without fear of being disturbed.”

Beckett chuckled. “Like you did, you mean.” And then, abruptly, the bottom dropped out of Beckett’s stomach.

“He might have left the cave occasionally,” Kapaneus said, still staring off into space, “sending his
spirit out to observe and even occasionally speak to others, to those few with the eyes to see him in that form. But physically, he’d have waited there for centuries. Waited until he was found by someone, someone who offered him one last opportunity to see the world, to see what had become of his descendents before they were no more.”

Beckett’s eyes bulged, and thought he might pass out. It had to be the withering. He was simply misunderstanding what Kapaneus seemed to be saying. That had to be it.

“He would have accompanied this one,” Kapaneus said, “allowing him to conduct his own search, interfering only when there was no other option.

“And I think,” the elder said, looking directly at Beckett for the first time, “that he might have learned
a few things about the nature of the race he had spawned. Things he might otherwise not have known. This younger vampire and his companions might well have taught him, the eldest of us all, something about perseverance and devotion. Something that the eldest, to his shame, had long since forgotten.

“And finally, when they had no more to learn from one another—when the younger vampire had his answers, even if he could not see them—I think then, and only then, would Caine move on.”

Beckett stared in complete incomprehension for a long moment, stared at Kapaneus’s kindly smile. And then the music went silent, the odor of the club faded, and everything went dark.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 18, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I might be crazy, but I seem to remember the rules for actually fighting Caine were literally "You lose."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DeathChicken posted:

I might be crazy, but I seem to remember the rules for actually fighting Caine were literally "You lose."

Yep.

The White Wolf Wiki states:

"Caine's capacities are usually described as being outside the ability of the Storyteller system to model. Given that he is two generations beyond the power of the Antediluvians, it is reasonable to assume that he has completely mastered all Disciplines potentially to a greater degree than 3rd generation and may possess the ability to create new Disciplines on the fly. Basically, whatever Caine wants to do, Caine can do. He also most likely has a massive blood point and burn ratio and high levels in nearly all attributes."

Also, the Mark of Caine, plus the ability to make his own powers up on the fly, mean that your options of killing him require upwards of nuclear weaponry, and the fallout from that would probably wipe out a couple of countries.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That is correct. Even assuming he didn't spend the last few thousand years in a montage of dead-lifting mountains and outrunning the sun he still has that X7 combo from the man upstairs waiting for anybody who wants a piece.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, the Mark of Caine, plus the ability to make his own powers up on the fly, mean that your options of killing him require upwards of nuclear weaponry, and the fallout from that would probably wipe out a couple of countries.

He has Deny though, as an extension of having all powers of all disciplines, which means that if somoene fires a nuke at him he can just go "nope". That's a power in the actual rules, he's supposed to be an order of magnitude more powerful than that again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a decent character building guide for this game? I'm going to play through again and would like to optimize with the best powers/etc and not build around the useless ones.

Just a rough primer of "don't bother with this" or "don't invest more than X points into this" would be fine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathChicken posted:

Here's his character sheet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That's amazing. :allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

pun pundit posted:

He has Deny though, as an extension of having all powers of all disciplines, which means that if somoene fires a nuke at him he can just go "nope". That's a power in the actual rules, he's supposed to be an order of magnitude more powerful than that again.

One of the weaker Antediluvians tanked a super nuke to the face, while fighting several Kuei-Jin Elders for multiple days without rest, all while maintaining a state of eternal night over the area he was fighting in. Because y'know, when you've become more like something out of a bad Lovecraft novel sometimes you kind of just want to say "gently caress nature" and blot out the sun by dint of your mere presence. Also, his death took out an entire bloodline as well.

It took the technocracy (From the game breaking Mage setting.) firing a loving space laser at him, boiling away the cloud cover he set up, to take him out. This is after they repeatedly nuked him to the point of eventually breaking the setting equivalent of the afterlife, essentially touching off a minor apocalypse there so that that would be enough to finish him off. And Ravnos was not the strongest Antediluvian by far.

If you want to see what happens when a top tier Antediluvian wakes up, look up Lasombra. Or Tzismice, if you want to pull a :stare: face. New York is hosed by default in any setting he's in. It gets worse from there, on a global scale. Think John Carpenter's The Thing on a bad acid trip.

A nuke isn't going to do poo poo to Caine, except maybe have throw the equivalent force back at the attacker seven times as strong.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 18, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Quite frankly this sort of over the top stuff is imho more stupid than interesting, and I'm glad the makers of Bloodlines didn't really delve into it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, the Technocracy/Ravnos showdown was part of the most fun aspect of oWoD's super-stupid "all of these things are in the same setting" approach to having multiple concurrent product lines. I'm glad nWoD got rid of all of that, it's much better overall, but I do miss that kind of crossover silliness.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Archonex posted:

One of the weaker Antediluvians tanked a super nuke to the face, while fighting several Kuei-Jin Elders for multiple days without rest, all while maintaining a state of eternal night over the area he was fighting in. Because y'know, when you've become more like something out of a bad Lovecraft novel sometimes you kind of just want to say "gently caress nature" and blot out the sun by dint of your mere presence. Also, his death took out an entire bloodline as well.

It took the technocracy (From the game breaking Mage setting.) firing a loving space laser at him, boiling away the cloud cover he set up, to take him out. This is after they repeatedly nuked him to the point of eventually breaking the setting equivalent of the afterlife, essentially touching off a minor apocalypse there so that that would be enough to finish him off. And Ravnos was not the strongest Antediluvian by far.

If you want to see what happens when a top tier Antediluvian wakes up, look up Lasombra. Or Tzismice, if you want to pull a :stare: face. New York is hosed by default in any setting he's in. It gets worse from there, on a global scale. Think John Carpenter's The Thing on a bad acid trip.

A nuke isn't going to do poo poo to Caine, except maybe have throw the equivalent force back at the attacker seven times as strong.

Do the books ever point out what would happen if the antideluvian for more "social" clans wake up, like Ventrue or Malkavian wakes up? Or Toreador? Those clans sound really boring to me - well not Malkavian obviously, but Ventrue - He wakes up, Dominates the entire population of North America, lives like a King - or Toreador - he wakes up and sees the Michelangelo's David, begins drooling - don't exactly inspire fear.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 18, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Quite frankly this sort of over the top stuff is imho more stupid than interesting, and I'm glad the makers of Bloodlines didn't really delve into it.

All of that stuff is related to Gehenna, which probably took place not long after the game. So it kind of did have a very obtuse way of tying into it.

That being said, the Antediluvians were supposed to be part of the big meta campaign from what I understand. They were never something you fought or even encountered. They were more like mythological figures.

Except then they decided to end the setting, and the mythological figures started busting out of the ground (Or sometimes were the ground.) and started wrecking entire cities and bloodlines. Which was a pretty entertaining turn of events to read about back then.

double nine posted:

Do the books ever point out what would happen if the antideluvian for more "social" clans wake up, like Ventrue or Malkavian wakes up? Or Toreador? Those clans sound really boring to me - well not Malkavian obviously, but Ventrue - He wakes up, Dominates the entire population of North America, lives like a King - or Toreador - he wakes up and sees the Michelangelo's David, begins drooling - don't exactly inspire fear.

I forget the details, and the state of some of the Antediluvians is dependent on the end game scenario people ran. None of the Antediluvians (Except for maybe Saulot.) are nice though. Keep in mind that these are the guys Caine turned his back on because they decided to backstab him and the prior generation for power, wiping that generation out.

In one scenario Saulot comes back in a pretty hilariously karmic way. He pretty much takes out the entire Tremere line and progenitor in one big plot. Turns out he's not a saint like how people thought, but he does want to do the right thing.

That being said, some of the more social ones are heavily implied to be dead by the time Gehenna rolls around.
I think Troile got whacked right after the stuff with the vampire city, though the lore varies and I could be wrong. Ventrue is either gunning to be the last one standing by sleeping his way through the apocalypse, or is already dead. The Toreador Antediluvian either had her heart cut out long ago by the Setites and Nosferatu, or is just chilling in Greece somewhere. The Nosferatu Antediluvian is not social at all as it turns out, and is trying to commit genocide on his offspring in the hope that Caine will fix his deformities. Other than that I don't recall.

The more bombastic ones like Tzimisce, Ilyes, Ravnos, Lasombra, etc, etc, tend to be the ones that get more attention. They're pretty much out and out world ending abominations by the time the end of the setting rolled around. And they demand a lot more attention by virtue of the stuff they do to the world in the scenarios they show up in. Ventrue and the other more social ones seem a bit more disinclined to go on world ending rampages if they're still alive.

Edit: Malkav is definitely alive. Malkav is the Malkavian Madness Network. Which is the thing that makes Malkavians Malkavian. I don't recall him doing anything explicitly world ending though, outside of mind raping some of the Malkavians in the madness network into being his hosts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 18, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Nope! It's Metal Gear Solid / Kojima levels of ridiculously stupidly awesome. gently caress physics, gently caress realism, gently caress everything, this is too dumb to be anything but popcorn-shoveling, poo poo-eating grin fun.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

double nine posted:

Do the books ever point out what would happen if the antideluvian for more "social" clans wake up, like Ventrue or Malkavian wakes up? Or Toreador?

I think Ventrue and Toreador's are dead-dead by canon, but Malkav is said to exist in the mind of every Malkavian as part of the Madness Network and is the source of their insights.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I think Ventrue and Toreador's are dead-dead by canon, but Malkav is said to exist in the mind of every Malkavian as part of the Madness Network and is the source of their insights.

I always kind of wondered if the writers permakilled Ventrue and Toreador in advance because coming up with appropriate Antediluvian powers for them without simply letting them "Win Gehenna" is really hard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How is Ravnos weak? Chimestry 10 is literally called True Reality, wherein his illusions aren't illusions anymore, they're literally real. So he could just snap his fingers and make an army of panther-turtles that shoot lava out of their asses and their shells are made of liquid metal that can turn into missiles or whatever, and they would appear and be solid and able to completely gently caress you up. And that's ignoring the fact that he has Fortitude 10 which basically makes you nigh invincible.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Fuzz posted:

How is Ravnos weak? Chimestry 10 is literally called True Reality, wherein his illusions aren't illusions anymore, they're literally real. So he could just snap his fingers and make an army of panther-turtles that shoot lava out of their asses and their shells are made of liquid metal that can turn into missiles or whatever, and they would appear and be solid and able to completely gently caress you up. And that's ignoring the fact that he has Fortitude 10 which basically makes you nigh invincible.

Comparatively to Tzimisce or Lasombra? He's pretty weak.

Tzimisce is a plague after he fucks over Tremere's big plan to save humanity in Crucible of God. Before that he's a vicissitude capable thing that can absorb anything that it infects. As a nasty, vampire plague, it can enact vicissitude on anything it infects at will with the victim essentially becoming Tzimisce. Nothing short of the intervention of God is going to definitely take it out. Also, from what I recall he can successfully infect the entire world in one scenario. And it's pretty heavily implied that he had the Sabbat under his thumb from the day they started sharing blood, since he can be blood borne.

Lasombra is a straight up avatar of darkness, having transformed himself into something else in the Abyss by the time Gehenna rolls around. In any scenario he successfully manifests he pretty much outright kills everything on the planet by dint of simply blotting out the sun until even tropical regions are frosting over. He does this for about three weeks in the Crucible of God scenario, at which point it starts raining blood since something decided to kill him, and succeeded. No one ever figures out what he managed to tick off by pulling that stunt. Plenty of people die or freeze to death in that time however.

Neither of them are going to be phased by anything the Technocracy or other factions can throw at them. They're basically minor gods. Minor gods that think like Cthulhu. If the Technocracy shot a laser at Lasombra he'd probably just laugh and eat the thing. Tzimisce would just shrug (If he noticed it at all.) and find more hosts to infect and activate Horrid Form on.

Ravnos by contrast succumbed to getting pinned down by Kuei-Jin elders until the technocracy could nuke and then fry his rear end. It pretty much hosed everything up in the long run, but he's deader than dead. If he was able to use those powers to warp reality he definitely didn't use them as well as he could have.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 18, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought the Tzimisce WAS the Cathedral of Flesh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

J.A.B.C. posted:

From what little I know, dealing with Gen 3 vampires requires that you start with nukes, and magic, and magic nukes. Caine is way more powerful than that.

Anyways, I'm replaying with the Wesp+ patch right now (weird how many cut things still have the voicework) and the tutorial is an absolute torture. Wonder if any of the changes affect how I should build my character.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I thought the Tzimisce WAS the Cathedral of Flesh.

It is. It gets worse in the most grounded version of the "Oh poo poo, the Antediluvians are real and are waking up." scenarios. Nightshade is the more optimistic scenario that has a possibility of the world carrying on at the end. Crucible of God is what happens when the writers took the idea of a bunch of godlike monsters that can shrug off nukes waking up to its logical conclusion.

I'll try and recap what I remember of it. It's incredibly dark, but drat if it didn't have some neat twists and turns.

In Crucible of God Tremere of all people ends up trying to save the world, albeit at the cost of all vampires dying. That's how bad things get.

This is because things have gotten so far out of hand with all the Antediluvians waking up that it's the only way he can see anyone surviving. Keep in mind that a few notable events included Malkav turning members humanity it manages to infect into berserking savages, with every Malkavian getting mind raped into being an extension of him, Lasombra killing off most of the world, and Ilyes getting into a literal ground war with the other ancients (She earth melded with the Earth and essentially became it long ago.) that devastated entire continents.

His plan is to use a 2nd generation ritual to essentially dominate everyone on the Earth after boosting his generation to that point and using the ritual to extend his control to a planet-wide scale. He'll then command all of humanity and every vampire to walk out into the sun. Humanity will be fine. Vampires (including your characters) will not. But as it's one of the few things that can hurt the hostile Antediluvians left, it'll do enough damage to the Antediluvians to kill them.

Except Tremere and the other clan members were just as open to being infected by Tzimisce as anyone else. You see, Tzimisce isn't just a cathedral of flesh. Over those long centuries it kept tinkering with itself, becoming something more. By the time Gehenna rolls around, and the Antediluvians are waking up, it's turned itself into a blood borne disease, having achieved the mastery of vicissitude that all clan members of its type aspire too. And with all the blood swapping going on in the Sabbat and other transmission methods out there, it's had plenty of time to infect plenty of people. One of those people is Tremere, possibly by dint of him poking around into how vicissitude works.

It quickly pounces on the opportunity and takes over Tremere. Then it infects everything except for the PC's, who were shielded from the ritual of control (Which was co-opted to become a ritual of infection.) at that time. Cue the PC's wandering a wasteland world controlled solely by Tzimisce. Dogs roam in hungry packs wearing the snarling faces of people. The vegetation is flesh. People are in top tier flesh crafted war forms and are hunting you down while mocking you, without exception. And throughout being hunted by it you can't feed since that would mean letting Tzimisce in, which is something it knows. Humanity is pretty much extinct, along with vampires and everything else. The PC's are the last living things left on Earth with the exception of Saulot, who was able to hold off the power of Tzismice's infection. Suffice to say that you won't last long.

From there things either end with the PC's being murdered in the mother of all downer endings, or Saulot pulling a hail mary out of his rear end, somehow convincing God to step in and pull a miracle to save everyone. This miracle is the eradication of everything vampiric, since that's pretty much the only way even God can stop Tzimisce at this point.

If the GM is feeling friendly he may say that your PC's are the last vampires alive, implying they'll go on to become the next Antediluvians in whatever hellish, broken world that awaits. More often than not though you burn alive in the fire of God's purgative wrath as humanity gets turned back into something recognizably humanoid. Or you just get infected by a random Tzimiscian dog biting you, necessitating being part of the purge to get rid of it. Or God depowers you back down to being human, which is probably a death sentence anyways given how hosed the world is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 18, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Archonex posted:

It is. It gets worse in the most grounded version of the "Oh poo poo, the Antediluvians are real and are waking up." scenarios. Nightshade is the more optimistic scenario that has a possibility of the world carrying on at the end. Crucible of God is what happens when the writers took the idea of a bunch of godlike monsters that can shrug off nukes waking up to its logical conclusion.

I'll try and recap what I remember of it. It's incredibly dark, but drat if it didn't have some neat twists and turns.

In Crucible of God Tremere of all people ends up trying to save the world, albeit at the cost of all vampires dying. That's how bad things get.

This is because things have gotten so far out of hand with all the Antediluvians waking up that it's the only way he can see anyone surviving. Keep in mind that a few notable events included Malkav turning members humanity it manages to infect into berserking savages, with every Malkavian getting mind raped into being an extension of him, Lasombra killing off most of the world, and Ilyes getting into a literal ground war with the other ancients (She earth melded with the Earth and essentially became it long ago.) that devastated entire continents.

His plan is to use a 2nd generation ritual to essentially dominate everyone on the Earth after boosting his generation to that point and using the ritual to extend his control to a planet-wide scale. He'll then command all of humanity and every vampire to walk out into the sun. Humanity will be fine. Vampires (including your characters) will not. But as it's one of the few things that can hurt the hostile Antediluvians left, it'll do enough damage to the Antediluvians to kill them.

Except Tremere and the other clan members were just as open to being infected by Tzimisce as anyone else. You see, Tzimisce isn't just a cathedral of flesh. Over those long centuries it kept tinkering with itself, becoming something more. By the time Gehenna rolls around, and the Antediluvians are waking up, it's turned itself into a blood borne disease, having achieved the mastery of vicissitude that all clan members of its type aspire too. And with all the blood swapping going on in the Sabbat and other transmission methods out there, it's had plenty of time to infect plenty of people. One of those people is Tremere, possibly by dint of him poking around into how vicissitude works.

It quickly pounces on the opportunity and takes over Tremere. Then it infects everything except for the PC's, who were shielded from the ritual of control (Which was co-opted to become a ritual of infection.) at that time. Cue the PC's wandering a wasteland world controlled solely by Tzimisce. Dogs roam in hungry packs wearing the snarling faces of people. The vegetation is flesh. People are in top tier flesh crafted war forms and are hunting you down while mocking you, without exception. And throughout being hunted by it you can't feed since that would mean letting Tzimisce in, which is something it knows. Humanity is pretty much extinct, along with vampires and everything else. The PC's are the last living things left on Earth with the exception of Saulot, who was able to hold off the power of Tzismice's infection. Suffice to say that you won't lost long.

From there things either end with the PC's being murdered in the mother of all downer endings, or Saulot pulling a hail mary out of his rear end, somehow convincing God to step in and pull a miracle to save everyone. This miracle is the eradication of everything vampiric, since that's pretty much the only way even God can stop Tzimisce at this point.

If the GM is feeling friendly he may say that your PC's are the last vampires alive, implying they'll go on to become the next Antediluvians in whatever hellish, broken world that awaits. More often than not though you burn alive in the fire of God's purgative wrath as humanity gets turned back into something recognizably humanoid. Or you just get infected by a random Tzimiscian dog biting you, necessitating being part of the purge to get rid of it. Or God depowers you back down to being human, which is probably a death sentence anyways given how hosed the world is.

This is the problem with role playing games; I want to know what next? but that depends 100% on the storyteller.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's not a problem, that's one of the best parts. gently caress these computer games, let's get a PnP going!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Wow ,yeah, I completely forgot how amazing this game was.

Jack has this great line that I've always remembered about how you have to be careful because "you're living in the age of the cell phone camera". I wonder how another Vampire game would deal with living in the age of the combination digital camera , video recorder, gps , web browsing, live streaming mobile device (that can also make phone calls).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ghetto Prince posted:

Wow ,yeah, I completely forgot how amazing this game was.

Jack has this great line that I've always remembered about how you have to be careful because "you're living in the age of the cell phone camera". I wonder how another Vampire game would deal with living in the age of the combination digital camera , video recorder, gps , web browsing, live streaming mobile device (that can also make phone calls).

We're living in the age of photoshop, ARGs and Climate Change

This will explain everything up to and possibly including world ending Gehenna events.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Ahahahah remember how a bunch of people want to play as Antediluvians in the WoD MMO?

I'm pretty sure this game isn't gonna be just the world's largest pen and paper session and the community isn't going to be fine giving "WeedSemen666" the ability to take casual bites out of the sun.

Frost Uncle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Archonex posted:

Ming Xaio for instance should have been able to tear you apart. A number of other things can potentially occur later on too that are odd and go against how things are in the early game sections. Like the fact that you can resist La Croix's dominate ability, which pretty much out and out states that some hinky poo poo is going on since you pointedly can't do that in the early game.

That LaCroix bit is overplayed in the conjecture.

Dominate only works if the target is the same or higher generation, and fails outright if the target is lower. However, Dominate is not an automatic power. You have to make eye contact (for the non-stupidly-powerful versions) and the difficulty of the skillcheck to succeed is the target's willpower rating. So if the target is a freshly-embraced fledgling who's world is upside down and is trying to come to grips with it all, that willpower level might not be all that great at the moment (or at least could have a penalty imposed). If the target is a vampire that's come to grips with its existence and who has overcome adversity, yadda yadda--the roll might suddenly get a lot harder to succeed. The target could be a much higher generation or even a simple mortal and they'd still successfully resist.

Especially when the vampire attempting to use Dominate is himself a whiny mess at that point in time, broken in spirit and power.

Edit: You mean the WoD MMO that's never going to see the light of day (or night, for that matter)? If CCP manages to release it before 2016 I'll be incredibly surprised.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread