Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CombineThresher posted:

Gorilla was perfect for the exact time and place he was in, and I won't hear another word of that slander. :colbert:

What's really sad to me about watching WCW now is seeing how hot the crowd was for some of the upper midcard guys, because after a while the nWo trained WCW's audiences to not give a poo poo about anything.

I blame Hogan. How better to keep people from threatening your position if you're cutting the idea of a midcard off at the knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

DrVenkman posted:

Hart was never that charismatic but watch him in WCW and he's just bored.

I wonder what happened in an alternate universe where Vince decided screwing Bret over wasn't needed and Bret handed the title over and peacefully left the WWF.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The David Arquette thing was so stupid but I didn't know he told them that as a wrestling fan there's no way he could do it, and when they finally convinced him he donated his payout to Brian Pillman's widow. That's cool.

Also the families of Droz and Owen Hart, if I'm not mistaken.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Defiance Industries posted:

I blame Hogan. How better to keep people from threatening your position if you're cutting the idea of a midcard off at the knees?
Looking through Wikipedia I found this quote in the "Cruiserweight" page:

Rey Mysterio Jr posted:

The division kicked off to a certain point but they never put us on top, and when they unmasked us it all came tumbling down. Those in charge of WCW had the mindset that only big men could draw and didn't create new superstars. But wrestling now has changed so much. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho have all been world champions, but back in WCW they were mainly cruiserweights. Also the top guys in WCW were scared that fans were more interested in watching luchadore action and high-flying moves than big men just going out there and stomping on each other for 10 minutes. The heavyweights were getting into Eric Bischoff's ear, saying: "We can't let these guys be on top. They're small and wrestling has never been about this, we've got to keep the tradition going." It was stupid for Eric Bischoff, who was running a huge company like WCW, to listen to other people. Vince McMahon runs his own company and does what he wants to do, as did Paul Heyman. Wrestling is about what the fans want, not what the boys want.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Psh, what does that vanilla midget who couldn't sell out a flea market know?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Those Cruiserweights can Cruiser-wait, brother!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I miss Juventud and the 450 splash. Some guy in wwe did it wrong and hurt himself or his opponent, then WWE banned the move and fired Juvi when he used it anyway. The firing was justified if he didn't honestly slip up and forget it was banned, but it was dumb to ban it in the first place.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

greatn posted:

I miss Juventud and the 450 splash. Some guy in wwe did it wrong and hurt himself or his opponent, then WWE banned the move and fired Juvi when he used it anyway. The firing was justified if he didn't honestly slip up and forget it was banned, but it was dumb to ban it in the first place.

This is the WWE mindset:
Flips and poo poo are dangerous. You can easily cripple yourself or your opponent. Also they're hard on your body(remember WWE does 3+ shows a week and some guys working 2-3 times a show). WWE's focus on delivering characters over moves means they're willing to sacrifice a spot just so they have guys that can make the next town.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

greatn posted:

That probably isn't the only reason they fired Juvi.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

e: wrong thread

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CombineThresher posted:

It was a copyright infringement involving Naked Mideon.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

CombineThresher posted:

Gorilla was perfect for the exact time and place he was in, and I won't hear another word of that slander. :colbert:

What's really sad to me about watching WCW now is seeing how hot the crowd was for some of the upper midcard guys, because after a while the nWo trained WCW's audiences to not give a poo poo about anything.

Do people really not like Gorilla Monsoon? Size Sixteen! Suplex City! Irresistible Force vs. The Immovable Object! Will you stop!?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Occipital protuberance!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chris Gaines posted:

Occipital protuberance!
External occipital protuberance! :eng101:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

coconono posted:

This is the WWE mindset:
Flips and poo poo are dangerous. You can easily cripple yourself or your opponent. Also they're hard on your body(remember WWE does 3+ shows a week and some guys working 2-3 times a show). WWE's focus on delivering characters over moves means they're willing to sacrifice a spot just so they have guys that can make the next town.
To be fair, some people do high risk moves sloppily for the sake of having a cool move in their repertoire.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CombineThresher posted:

Was it the juvi juice?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Perigryn posted:

To be fair, some people do high risk moves sloppily for the sake of having a cool move in their repertoire.

Yeah but WWE specifically banned it and the SSP because of botches. The only reason Bourne was allowed to use his SSP and Justin his 450 was because they basically had to prove they could use them without botching. It's a health thing, they only want it done if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you wont hurt yourself or someone else while doing it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LividLiquid posted:

External occipital protuberance! :eng101:

Literally hanging from the rafters!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

WILL YOU STOP

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Gorilla Monsoon wasn't too great when not paired with Heenan. He wasn't awful or anything but when it was like Gorilla and Lord Alfred Hayes the commentary was kinda dreadful.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CombineThresher posted:

I thought it was because he was missing dates and all the boozing and drugs?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DeathChicken posted:

There was that one Thunder where they somehow got their segments mixed up, so you had Jeff Jarrett (I think) carted out in ambulance, then a bit later he arrived to get beaten up.

I recently watched a New Blood episode of Nitro, where Chuck Palumbo (I think) loses an ambulance match and ends up being driven out of the arena. They later cut to the New Blood walking backstage to come out for the funeral of Ric Flair's career, and there's Palumbo!

I might be mixing up the guy, but it was funny to see anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ColeM posted:

I thought it was because he was missing dates and all the boozing and drugs?

That was WCW.

Wikipedia posted:

On January 6, 2006, WWE announced that Juventud had been released from the company. His final match aired that evening on SmackDown!, a Cruiserweight Title rematch against Kash which Juventud lost. During this match, Juventud would use many high flying moves – despite WWE telling its cruiserweights to tone down those aerial moves – and the 450° splash, a move WWE outright banned due to an earlier match Juventud had with Paul London where he botched the move, resulting in London suffering several fractured bones in his face.

Hey Juvi, don't do that move.
*juvi does the the move*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh that's my bad. I has remembered it as someone else botching the move veggie they told him not to do it. If he botched it himself that's completely different.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Rewatching an early nitro and struck by quite how bad Eric was at putting over his own product. Mongo is going on about how "I promise you, no football player is as strong as these professional wrestlers" and Eric jumps in with "I'm sure there are plenty of guys, you were one as well."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

coconono posted:

resulting in London suffering several fractured bones in his face.

And yet they still let Aksana, Ryback, Big E, Ziggler (Well okay he only gets himself killed) and Fandango wrestle just about every week.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Shima Honnou posted:

And yet they still let Aksana, Ryback, Big E, Ziggler (Well okay he only gets himself killed) and Fandango wrestle just about every week.

Juvi also got arrested in Australia for attacking cops while on some crazy drugs or something. The guy wasn't necessarily stable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He used to get away with it because no one knew his identity under the mask.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, being a bit stiff in the ring is worlds different than being an out of control drugs and booze dumpster who is also a lawsuit machine.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, being a bit stiff in the ring is worlds different than being an out of control drugs and booze dumpster who is also a lawsuit machine.

But enough about Ric Flair.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I believe Juvi was the one who had heat with Mysterio because he racked up a mid-four-figure bill on Mysterio's cellphone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

There was that one Thunder where they somehow got their segments mixed up, so you had Jeff Jarrett (I think) carted out in ambulance, then a bit later he arrived to get beaten up.

triplexpac posted:

I recently watched a New Blood episode of Nitro, where Chuck Palumbo (I think) loses an ambulance match and ends up being driven out of the arena. They later cut to the New Blood walking backstage to come out for the funeral of Ric Flair's career, and there's Palumbo!

I might be mixing up the guy, but it was funny to see anyway.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You're putting two separate incidents together.

One Thunder had a Villanos vs (whoever) match, and afterwards Villano V unmasked to reveal that it was Sting the entire time. Problem is, a recap of that reveal was shown an hour earlier in the show before the match took place.

Another Thunder had Mike Awesome getting the poo poo beaten out of him and thrown in the back of an ambulance, which then drives away. The very next segment has a bunch of wrestlers, one of which being a perfectly fine Mike Awesome, looking for someone backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You have the Villano incident wrong, it was Jarrett under the mask in a handicap match against Sting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

You have the Villano incident wrong, it was Jarrett under the mask in a handicap match against Sting.

I knew it was Jarrett, and yet I kept typing Sting because it seems like he's spent his entire career taking off masks to reveal a painted face.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

After a minute of Google searching, it was the second one I was thinking of, but it was Mike Awesome in the ambulance (and then he was just fine).

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The best Thunder during the New Blood era was the one where the wrestlers had to ref their own matches, because Russo, and the heels called everything right down the middle while the faces cheated.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM it is PPV night!

WCW SPRING STAMPEDE 1997!

Your main event is part of one of the biggest feuds of the year:

RANDY SAVAGE VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE IN A NO DQ MATCH!

Elsewhere on the card..

Lex Luger vs The Giant vs Booker T vs Stevie Ray

Kevin Nash vs Rick Steiner for the tag team titles (Hall no-showed)

Dean Malenko vs Chris Benoit for the US title

The Public Enemy vs Mongo and Jarrett

Prince Iaukea vs Regal for the TV title

Akira Hokuto vs Madusa for the Women's title

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Ultimo Dragon

So come at 8 PM for the show! http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

There will be NO Cowboy Who? at 7:30, I'm going to get in a bit late tonight so there won't be time for much of a preshow. I have some classic Letterman skits with Vince McMahon and Larry Bud Melman for intermission and if there's time for a pre show though!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MRT, is this the match that Page sometimes talks about where he had planned to let Savage call the whole thing (as he usually did) but Savage actually let Page call it, which he took as a huge compliment?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
The best part of the new blood era was at New Blood Rising. It had Goldberg, Nash And Steiner in a triple threat main event for the belt with Goldberg refusing to go for the scripted finish. Mind you he wasn't doing it for real but for the storyline reasons. Then you have the announcers really pushing it on tv "Goldberg is so unprofessional for not going for the finish!".

Typical Russo rubbing in the fact that wrestling is fake to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight at 8 PM it is PPV night!

WCW SPRING STAMPEDE 1997!

So Hogan was the champion at that point, but wasn't on the PPV. That was a semi-common thing, right? I can look later, I guess. How often does the WWE do that?