Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

What in the world is that?

I live like 20 minutes away from there. I should drive by there tomorrow and take some pics. On a related note, I'll have to take a better camera with me to this years Camarillo Airshow.

Yeah it's neat but really small. The thing that I was most surprised about was the JB-2(?) Loon which looks exactly like a V-1. I didn't know the US made a copy of it although directly after the war it kinda makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can get on the base but I chicken out of taking picks of the beaches, the marshes, the statuary, and the planes themselves.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

spankmeister posted:

In the same vein:

Point Mugu Missile Park, just off the PCH.

I _should_ have some pictures of this.... somewhere. :ohdear:

I drove by there when I was doing my cross country motorcycle move. I'll try and dig up the pictures.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Made it to the War Memorial of Korea in Seoul today....and found my camera battery was dead. Oops.

Cool place, definitely recommend visiting it if you have an afternoon free here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

apseudonym posted:

I drove by there when I was doing my cross country motorcycle move. I'll try and dig up the pictures.

I took a picture for this biker dude when I was there. Of course it's extremely unlikely it was you but wouldn't that be crazy huh?

Anyway I think I know where I saved those pics, I'll post them later today.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

No one knows anything, read this to entertain yourself. I read the whole thing last night (and his Fukushima Iranian Gun Nuke Cameras that exploded the reactors), it's all insane bullshit, but it's incredibly fun to read.

Greatest Jim Stone theory is the one that claims the Phillipines tsunami was caused by a nuclear explosion, and the orange squiggle in the Doritos logo is it's seismic signature, and the NWO is using bags of doritos to rub their power in our faces.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Here it is, the coolest looking 109:

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Thief posted:

Pretend I'm slow, what am I looking at here?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Frozen Horse posted:

Pretend I'm slow, what am I looking at here?

Mistel, I think.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Mistel, I think.

I don't think it is. I think it's just a beat-up old 109, missing control surfaces, the canopy, and the cowl over the machine-gun breeches.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If it was a Mistel the Ju-88 would have a big frame attached to the top where the Me-109 would sit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We're looking at a 109. Mistrels were carried by FW 190s.

And as far as I can tell, Mistrels didn't ever have glazed noses like the JU-88 pictured in Thief's post.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ars Technica has a piece on the mechanical computers used to aim battleship guns back in the day. :science:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

We're looking at a 109. Mistrels were carried by FW 190s.

And as far as I can tell, Mistrels didn't ever have glazed noses like the JU-88 pictured in Thief's post.

The Mistel 1 used a BF-109 F-4, the Bomber portion was always a JU-88, sans the front canopy, until the last couple of variants, one of which used the Arado, if memory serves.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well then what did craptacular post with a 190?

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

mlmp08 posted:

It's only a model.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Thief posted:

Wrong! The F-2/G-2 is obviously the coolest looking 109 due to their clean lines and retractable tailwheels. The Latter G's->K's start to look funky due to all the nose and wing bulges. :colbert: Also Buchon's are the most hideous abortions ever made.

I always thought this "blank" 109 really emphasized the lovely aesthetics of the airframe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

109s really are pretty airplanes, except the canopy. It's like a supermodel with a welding mask.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Airpower newbie here - Isn't "bumpification" something that happens to pretty much all military aircraft? They start out nice and sleek, and over time get ugly bumps added due to cramming more and more stuff in?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Airpower newbie here - Isn't "bumpification" something that happens to pretty much all military aircraft? They start out nice and sleek, and over time get ugly bumps added due to cramming more and more stuff in?
Only when you demand actual capabilities!

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

One of the variants of the Mistel used the 109, there were four (IIRC) variants that used the FW-190, one of the later used the ME-262, the other a HE-162. I am not sure if the last two got past the planning stages. I suspect because it was the first image of a Mistel that came up in a search, a bit of more looking (after sorting through the pics of models) produced this;
The Mistel 1;

The Mistel 2- 3C;

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ah, ok, thanks.

edit: On that nightfighter variant of the 109 Thief posted, the use of a shroud to cover the exhaust vents is interesting.

In contrast, from an interview with a TBD/TBF pilot regarding night time mine laying in enemy harbors:

quote:

Of course, in that night work also, no one has any lights on and you lean your mixture back to where the plane's just gasping for gasoline and that dampens down the exhaust. I never have seen the difficulty in getting out an exhaust dampener. I would think if you'd stick a plate over it somewhere where it don't show, that's all you need; but that work is tricky and it's got to be planned and well executed.

This is from Lt. Gay, the sole survivor from his squadron after every single one of the planes in his squadron were shot down at the Battle of Midway. The whole interview is worth a read in that it's both a PR thing, yet he also occasionally just starts griping about stuff in a very frank manner. He also insists that not a single round of AAA hit him from the ships, but rather that the Zeros were just devastating.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq81-8c.htm

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2014

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, ok, thanks.

edit: On that nightfighter variant of the 109 Thief posted, the use of a shroud to cover the exhaust vents is interesting.

In contrast, from an interview with a TBD/TBF pilot regarding night time mine laying in enemy harbors:

This is from Lt. Gay, the sole survivor from his squadron after every single one of the planes in his squadron were shot down at the Battle of Midway. The whole interview is worth a read in that it's both a PR thing, yet he also occasionally just starts griping about stuff in a very frank manner. He also insists that not a single round of AAA hit him from the ships, but rather that the Zeros were just devastating.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq81-8c.htm

Yeah, Torpedo 8, the TBM Devastator was really really obsolete by the time of Midway, cool link though, I'll save that for later, thanks.
The pilots of T-8 taken prior to Midway;

Ensign Gay is front row center.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Speaking of Nightfighters;
Northrop Black Widow with a bonus ram jet;

My favorite of the Nightfighter designs;

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Basically, yes. On some planes, bumps aren't an option. You can't just start putting bumps on an F-22, for obvious reasons. I wonder how much that locks designers into a set level of capabilities or adds cost to upgrades that otherwise would be easier.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That looks like 2 cobras glued together except there's no cardoor. :allears:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Spent the last few days trying to catch up on the thread, and have something to contribute:

An ANZAC Officer's recalling of Centurion tanks in Korea. It's pretty funny and offers a neat picture on a pretty rad Cold War tank. The rest of the blog is great, but that article is one of my favorites.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Thief posted:

Who's flying? Rock paper scissors? (It's a Twin Mustang isn't it?)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Thief posted:

I believe it's a Twin Mustang, P/F 82 I think?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Haha, how did I not recognize that?

Twin planes are so crazy. I've only seen twin mustangs and twin 109s but I'm sure more exist.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Caconym posted:

Who's flying? Rock paper scissors? (It's a Twin Mustang isn't it?)

The guy in the left cockpit is the pilot, the right is the radar operator.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Plan Z posted:

Spent the last few days trying to catch up on the thread, and have something to contribute:

An ANZAC Officer's recalling of Centurion tanks in Korea. It's pretty funny and offers a neat picture on a pretty rad Cold War tank. The rest of the blog is great, but that article is one of my favorites.

Hahahah this article is awesome.

quote:

Let me state that the 20 pr is the best tk gun we have had so far once my tp spent a week sniping individual CHINAMEN at a range of 3,600 yds with a most satisfactory degree of success. (One morning we got two before breakfast)

quote:

During the Apr battle the need for a second MG was felt, as angry little men climbed on the top of the tks and beat on the hatches with fists and rifle butts. One answer was to charge through a mud house, but this was NOT thought to be the real answer, as it increased the shortage of houses already made obvious by zealous gunners.

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 18, 2014

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Breaky posted:

Hahahah this article is awesome.

This is my favorite, as it took me a second go-through to get it:

quote:

We have, to date NO hits from enemy AP but a 20 pr AP at 100 yds will go through both sides of a CENTURION'S turret and right through a CROMWELL or T-34 end on at 2,800 yds which brings us to

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Plan Z posted:

This is my favorite, as it took me a second go-through to get it:

So wanna know the set of circumstances under which they found that out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not exactly a 'textbook' on British tanks in the Korean War, but it's out in paperback now and a fun read. *All* of the Battlefield series are fun reads, and "War Stories" before that. Quite a few of them are up on torrents if you grab yourself a .cbr reader like Comicrack.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=14927

(and before anyone asks - the Popeye-looking guy is Sergeant Stiles, and he's a Geordie)

Details about the other series, which is a bit harder to find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Stories_%28comics%29

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 18, 2014

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

So wanna know the set of circumstances under which they found that out.

I even just realized it was 100 yards, which is not far.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I was down in Florida recently, and I visited the Hurlburt Commando Airpark.

AC-47 (This aircraft never actually served as a gunship; it was converted after retirement for display.)

A-26 Counter-Invader and A-1E Skyraider

Front to back: HH-3E, MH-53M, B-25J, C-46D

C-119G dressed up as AC-119 for display

Stinger Gunship patch: a robotic scorpion shooting a minigun with its tail :black101:

Vietnam: AC-130A (56-0509, the "Ultimate End"), T-28A, UH-1P, OA-37B, MC-130E with Fulton recovery system

FAC aircraft: O-1E (with awesome noseart), O-2A, OV-10

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Outside Dawg posted:

Yeah, Torpedo 8, the TBM Devastator was really really obsolete by the time of Midway, cool link though, I'll save that for later, thanks.
The pilots of T-8 taken prior to Midway;

Ensign Gay is front row center.

The whole story of Torpedo 8 is pretty badass. Hornet's CAG was rather clueless and refused to believe that the Japanese were north of them, no matter how much 8's CO, John Waldron, bitched at him. At one point Waldron had enough, waggled his wings and flew off north with his boys, leaving the rest of Hornet's air group behind. The irony is that they were about a week from receiving the new Avenger rather than the POS Devastator when they sailed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They really should have held on to the OV-10. Of course, the Reapers can carry more than three Broncos ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Would Torpedo 8 really have had more of a chance flying planes they were unfamiliar with and still without fighter cover?