Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Goddamnit. What is with GW and mobile games? I'd play the poo poo out of a competent Eisenhorn game on the PC. :argh:

Mass Effect styled game where you play as an Inquisitor, please, GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

Honestly the bigger titans and Orks are the sillier best bits of 40K and I generally pretend thank my lucky stars they dont exist.
Sorry - you had some errors in your post. I cleaned them up for you though. You're welcome! :angel:

FrozenDorf posted:

I much prefer Epic scale Imperator from the bo set, which converts to around ~95-100m "in real life".
I think I remember that the model is 127mm tall (about 5 inches), so if 1mm = 1 foot, it's actually closer to 125 feet (38m) in game scale. The thing about Epic is that the vehicles and Titans are usually about 50% of truescale. This is glaringly obvious when you see the Forge World versions of Epic models. My GW Thunderbolts easily fit in about the cockpit space of the FW Thunderbolt...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

berzerkmonkey posted:

My GW Thunderbolts easily fit in about the cockpit space of the FW Thunderbolt...

Do you have some pic of this? I woud like to see it if it's possible.

And yes, Titans and orks are the best thing ever, that's why Final Liberation still has a soft spot in my heart, even if it's not a really good game. I pray that the upcoming Armageddon game by Slitherine to be decent enough.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Fried Chicken posted:

Hatred of Ork boyz is not something this thread should suffer to exist

Gonna listen to all the Ork voice files from the DoW games until I go to sleep.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry Lobster posted:

Do you have some pic of this? I woud like to see it if it's possible.

And yes, Titans and orks are the best thing ever, that's why Final Liberation still has a soft spot in my heart, even if it's not a really good game. I pray that the upcoming Armageddon game by Slitherine to be decent enough.
My FW Thunderbolts are bigger than my GW Marauders. There's a huge difference in scale there though, and the FW ones aren't actually made for Epic, they're made for Aeronautica Imperialis.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They were made for Epic first - AI didn't come along until much later. But that's neither here nor there - FW flyers are absolutely gigantic compared to GW's.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I played that 40k: Storm of Vengeance game. It was boring as hell, and it mystifies me that they went from very protective of their IP to letting any second-rate shovelware mobile developer have their way with the setting.

Between stuff like that and the ok but rather disappointing Space Hulk game, my expectations for the Eisenhorn game are, frankly, not high.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

I played that 40k: Storm of Vengeance game. It was boring as hell, and it mystifies me that they went from very protective of their IP to letting any second-rate shovelware mobile developer have their way with the setting.

Between stuff like that and the ok but rather disappointing Space Hulk game, my expectations for the Eisenhorn game are, frankly, not high.

Yeah, what's the deal with Dawn of War 3? Is GW just pissy that the franchise was so popular in creating its own Space Marine chapter that it sandbagged further development? The series sold an insane amount of copies and is universally regarded as an amazing game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

They were made for Epic first - AI didn't come along until much later. But that's neither here nor there - FW flyers are absolutely gigantic compared to GW's.
I never saw them sold without the Aeronautica bases, but they are way overscale if they were intended for Epic first.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

pentyne posted:

Yeah, what's the deal with Dawn of War 3? Is GW just pissy that the franchise was so popular in creating its own Space Marine chapter that it sandbagged further development? The series sold an insane amount of copies and is universally regarded as an amazing game.

The publisher went bankrupt and the developer sold to another company that doesn't have the rights to make 40k games is what happened.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Donnerberg posted:

Right, this is a thing in Spec Ops.

Major Spec Ops: The Line spoiler incoming. Things go really bad half way into the game. Your dude suffers a mental break down and starts imagining poo poo as an excuse for his actions. Once you beat the game, an American rescue team shows up to take your post traumatic rear end back home. This is where the ending branches. The branch is your gun.

Its story goes to some grimdark places. Even if you changed nothing about the game except replace the fighting forces with Imperial Guard, it would still be more 40K than any other 40K game out there.

Yeah, just change US Army to Imperial Guard, Delta to some appropriate group (Stormtroopers I guess?), CIA to Inquisition and Dubai City to Desert Planet. Oh, and replace the assault rifles with lasgun variants.

You don't even need a Chaos influence to explain why everything is poo poo, the Imperium does well enough on its own merits. Let's say that an accounting error resulted in the planet being listed uninhabited, so all supply runs and communications were halted :)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr.48 posted:

But I dont sperg about it at all? I just ignore the sillier bits because arguing about them is pointless and thinking about them too much lessens my enjoyment of the other things in 40k.

But all the bits are silly? Maybe you should invest in some hobby/series that takes itself seriously and isn't filled with giant green idiots that scream about daka, enormous robots with churches on their backs, exorcism by anal torture, etc.

e: I mean I guess if the deep and serious adventures of Space Wizard Egyptians and Space Furry Vikings and Space Wizard Stephen Hawking/James Bond are something you can take super seriously, well, poo poo, I don't even know what to say.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 19, 2014

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Maybe that's what bothers me about space marine hair. Compared to the other crazy parts of their anatomy, the hair's one of the most 'normal' parts about them. It should at least harden into ceramite-piercing spines upon command or grip onto surfaces like starfish-esque feet or something.

Totally agree that the Wolves n' such just wouldn't be the same without it though, as well as just about any other distinguishable character in the series. I'll take Fun over Realistic any day!

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 19, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Shadeoses posted:

Oh, and replace the assault rifles with lasgun variants.

You don't even need to know that since stubbers/stub guns aka normal bullet weapons is still a thing in the universe.

Cream_Filling posted:

Because they suddenly remembered that games is popular with the kidz these days and that mobile games are really popular. Not to mention really cheap to develop too and don't take too long to make compared to letting a major studio deal with it which will racket up the costs and time since games development is a massively messed up industry.

But yeah, not too keen on this game either.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why weren't the Salamanders split up while the Iron Hands and Raven Guard when the legions were being divided?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Mass Effect styled game where you play as an Inquisitor, please, GW.

Probably costs too much to make.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Why weren't the Salamanders split up while the Iron Hands and Raven Guard when the legions were being divided?

I dont think there were enough if them left. I think alot of them died on Istavaan. I could be wrong i havent had my coffee yet

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Waroduce posted:

I dont think there were enough if them left. I think alot of them died on Istavaan. I could be wrong i havent had my coffee yet

Exactly this. I know the numbers have been retconned, but the old fluff said that only three salamanders managed to escape Istvaan carrying the geneseed of their brothers so they could rebuild the legion.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, there weren't a lot of Salamanders left after the assault on the Tempest Galleries during the Unification Wars. They took about 25K casualties and only had about a thousand Marines left so when time came to downsize it really wasn't an option. Ignore me, I am an idiot: they had indeed lost all but "a handful" at Istvaan.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, for some reason I thought the Iron Hands suffered the heaviest losses.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

God drat, reading through this the Salamanders take mass casualties like it's their job. Three different times they went from "hey we're doing reasonably okay" to "well, everyone's dead except for me and you Jimmy, let's break out the old narthecium and get to sawin'."

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, there weren't a lot of Salamanders left after the assault on the Tempest Galleries during the Unification Wars. They took about 25K casualties and only had about a thousand Marines left so when time came to downsize it really wasn't an option. Ignore me, I am an idiot: they had indeed lost all but "a handful" at Istvaan.

I thought this was still true, but they had rehabd and than lost everyone again? Didnt they run an underground assult into the last bastion of resistance to the emperor or something?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Oh, for some reason I thought the Iron Hands suffered the heaviest losses.

You're half right, the Iron Hands are the most dead on the inside.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Salamanders supposedly took 25K losses during the Unification Wars, then got the poo poo beaten out of them at the big battle in which Vulkan showed up for the first time and saved the day, and then were nearly eliminated entirely at Isstvan. These guys can't catch a break, it seems.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's probably pretty symbolic the two de-facto 'good' Space Marine chapters (Salamanders and Space Wolves) are basically always in some degree of trouble. I guess the Salamanders are fine now but the Space Wolves are basically always 'borderline heretics' because they dare tell the Inquisition 'please stop firebombing entire planets'.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

Salamanders supposedly took 25K losses during the Unification Wars, then got the poo poo beaten out of them at the big battle in which Vulkan showed up for the first time and saved the day, and then were nearly eliminated entirely at Isstvan. These guys can't catch a break, it seems.

Police brutality.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The teaser is up for HH Book 3: Extermination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytcl8OIaxBU
Good lord, the art is beautiful. Also, we finally see what Alpharius/Omegon look like, as well as Rogal Dorn.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 19, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

The teaser is up for HH Book 3: Extermination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytcl8OIaxBU
Good lord, the art is beautiful. Also, we finally see what Alpharius/Omegon look like, as well as Rogal Dorn.

Is this a book? Or a video series or what?

Also do we have a release schedule for upcoming hh or warhammer books? These last few months seem real slow

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Is this a book? Or a video series or what?

It's a book, but made by the Forge World subsidiary. It has a ton of awesome art as well as rules for playing Heresy-era 40k.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Book trailers have been a thing for years now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cooked Auto posted:

You don't even need to know that since stubbers/stub guns aka normal bullet weapons is still a thing in the universe.

Because they suddenly remembered that games is popular with the kidz these days and that mobile games are really popular. Not to mention really cheap to develop too and don't take too long to make compared to letting a major studio deal with it which will racket up the costs and time since games development is a massively messed up industry.

But yeah, not too keen on this game either.

The thing is that it's not like it actually costs GW any real money to make a game. They usually just license the IP out to a company that funds it themselves, and usually under really strict conditions too. The only thing that's really at stake is the opportunity cost of licensing it to some other studio, which they don't even do that much anyway, plus their fears that games will cut into their model business. Of course the other part of this is that they probably don't make that much money off video games in the end just doing licensing unless they go the full Marvel and free up the capital to start bankrolling games themselves. In the past they've had trouble finding partners because of the degree of control they want to exercise over the final product, but now it looks like they're not exercising any in terms of quality standards. Either that or just can't find anyone established who will agree to the amount of creative control they want over the final game plus whatever their desired royalties. Or they're afraid that if a game is too good or complex it will just pull nerds away from the toy business which they own 100% instead of just a license.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I am sorta reminded of what Microsoft wanted to do with a Halo movie before they got pretty much laughed out by the movie companies since they had some insane requirements regarding budget and control regarding it.
Problem here is that no one will actually laugh at them for their absurd demands since there will always be someone else who just shrugs and takes the money and does whatever half-assed product they're capable off and in the end it's the brand that suffers.
Or to put it more blunty, GW execs needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking it's still 2000.

Hell, if anything I think Dawn of War helped them more than any of the later slew of awful mobile based games will do in making people aware of the hobby and really interested in it.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

euphronius posted:

Probably costs too much to make.

They'd make a lot more money off of an AAA high budget game than they'd make off of Plants vs. Zombies 40k edition - which is an actual thing, though the name escapes me - but GW's business department isn't known for their brains.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Noctis Horrendae posted:

They'd make a lot more money off of an AAA high budget game than they'd make off of Plants vs. Zombies 40k edition - which is an actual thing, though the name escapes me - but GW's business department isn't known for their brains.

Storm of Vengeance, horrible horrible poo poo, in addition it's a total rippoff of a previous game by the same company, Ninja Cats versus Samurai Dogs, go look at it in youtube and despair.

It's a shame, because the 40k franchise has a pretty good potential to produce at least some entertaining games. Or if they aren't going to produce some good games, let GOG publish the old ones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
A bad ripoff at that it seems. The original has more depth...

PantsOptional posted:

God drat, reading through this the Salamanders take mass casualties like it's their job. Three different times they went from "hey we're doing reasonably okay" to "well, everyone's dead except for me and you Jimmy, let's break out the old narthecium and get to sawin'."
"Operation Get Behind the (Space) Darkies" I guess.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Storm of Vengeance, horrible horrible poo poo, in addition it's a total rippoff of a previous game by the same company, Ninja Cats versus Samurai Dogs, go look at it in youtube and despair.

It's a shame, because the 40k franchise has a pretty good potential to produce at least some entertaining games. Or if they aren't going to produce some good games, let GOG publish the old ones.

It's absolutely stunning to see a major player in the tabletop industry sell out to a company like that. They claim that they "defend their IP ruthlessly" in order to "ensure quality" but in cases like that game, I think fan made content would be of higher quality.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought Heresy Alpha Legion armor was more on the purple side?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

That's what they want you to think! :tinfoil:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Alpha Legion is weird, because their armor color seems to vary depending on who is describing or painting them. GW never seem to have gotten a standard definition of AL armor down for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Alpha Legion is weird, because their armor color seems to vary depending on who is describing or painting them. GW never seem to have gotten a standard definition of AL armor down for some reason.

Which is perfect.