Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Reportedly Metallica wanted $1 million per year for WWE to license Enter Sandman on the DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Luigi Thirty posted:

Reportedly Metallica wanted $1 million per year for WWE to license Enter Sandman on the DVDs.

Have you SEEN Sandman's entrance at ONS05? :colbert:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

If WWE could pay for the rights to ONE song on the WWE Network, what would you choose? Natural Born Killaz is a pretty good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s

Every. drat. Time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What happened to the WWE having events in the UK? Selling out Wembley was always going to be hard to beat, but it seemed like they had a one or two PPVs there annually until about ten years back. Was it just a boom-bust thing over there, or did they stop going over for other reasons?

Meltzer says he worked out some rough numbers and he's sure WWE would make money on running a PPV in the UK. He's pretty sure it's just cause it would have to be aired on tape delay in the US, and the WWE hates the idea of doing that.

That's running a real PPV, like Summerslam. Not one of those fake UK ones like Insurrexion that we'd all just ignore

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

VogeGandire posted:

Have you SEEN Sandman's entrance at ONS05? :colbert:

I have not. I've watched one ECW PPV and a handful of TV episodes so I fear the effect may be lost on me. I did hear they started re-uploading them to the Network uncensored though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR CHICAGO BULLS!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

ECW got around that problem by having Motorhead cover Enter Sandman. I have no idea why WWE couldn't do this too, given Lemmy is Triple H's best buddy and all.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DeathChicken posted:

ECW got around that problem by having Motorhead cover Enter Sandman. I have no idea why WWE couldn't do this too, given Lemmy is Triple H's best buddy and all.

Only HHH gets Motorhead! Not stinky Sandman!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

If Lemmy was so close to Hunter, he'd have been in his wedding party :colbert:

Or at the very least, done a reading during the ceremony.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Writer Cath posted:

If Lemmy was so close to Hunter, he'd have been in his wedding party :colbert:

Or at the very least, done a reading during the ceremony.
From where? Leaning in from the backseat?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

triplexpac posted:

Only HHH gets Motorhead! Not stinky Sandman!

I read that as "Snitsky Sandman," which would be the ugliest of all fusion dances.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

That doesn't quite get around it. Metallica still presumably has songwriter's copyright, so they can still nix it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tharizdun posted:

From where? Leaning in from the backseat?

Obviously.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I know that Punk owns the rights to his name and can use it once his contract ends, but how does that work on WWE's end? Like I imagine DVD's and toys that were made during the time he was on contract wouldn't be an issue but will WWE have to get permission (pay him?) if they want to use his name/likeness once the contract expires?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
In an ideal situation, WWE would probably pay some kind of royalty for CM Punk's name in older stuff and all will be well.

What'll actually happen is Vince will have all mention and appearances of CM Punk excised from the vault copies of everything. The question is whether it'll be a blur like the old WWF situation, a blue dot over the face, giant red censor X, extreme closeups of nothing, or still photos with someone else's head photoshopped on Punk's body.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TUS posted:

I know that Punk owns the rights to his name and can use it once his contract ends, but how does that work on WWE's end? Like I imagine DVD's and toys that were made during the time he was on contract wouldn't be an issue but will WWE have to get permission (pay him?) if they want to use his name/likeness once the contract expires?

Well, technically the name and character is Punk's intellectual property, so yeah, unless Punk signed a waiver (which he almost certainly didn't, considering he and Heyman fought to keep the CM Punk name), Vince owes Punk royalties for anything bearing Punk's name.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
So I'm watching IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies and have a few musings;
-Is the HBK/Diesel the match the one where some special needs fan ran in and HBK got him out of the ring in a gentle way? My bluray of it has a weird cut in it.
-Why does Diesel have beef with McMahon during the match? Is it to work the fans because he was leaving?
-Did Kevin Nash ever have a good match? Like ever?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The match versus Bret Hart that ended with Nash slowly sitting up and going "That motherfucker" was very good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shima Honnou posted:

In an ideal situation, WWE would probably pay some kind of royalty for CM Punk's name in older stuff and all will be well.

What'll actually happen is Vince will have all mention and appearances of CM Punk excised from the vault copies of everything. The question is whether it'll be a blur like the old WWF situation, a blue dot over the face, giant red censor X, extreme closeups of nothing, or still photos with someone else's head photoshopped on Punk's body.

It'll be Corey Graves, and in archive footage his name will be badly dubbed over with the exact same intonation as Mr. Black. Same number of syllables and everything.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

So I'm watching IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies and have a few musings;
-Is the HBK/Diesel the match the one where some special needs fan ran in and HBK got him out of the ring in a gentle way? My bluray of it has a weird cut in it.
-Why does Diesel have beef with McMahon during the match? Is it to work the fans because he was leaving?
-Did Kevin Nash ever have a good match? Like ever?

That's actually one of Nash's best matches ever, at least from his time in the WWF. I remember it being a pretty fun and crazy brawl at the time, though it's pretty tame by today's standards. His match with Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1995 is pretty great also (it's the match mentioned above), and the Royal Rumble 1995 match with Hart isn't bad either - mostly hampered by the fact that they wouldn't let either guy eat a clean loss. His match with Undertaker at Wrestlemania 12 is surprisingly good too. I can't think of any other singles matches that really stand out in WWF. In general, he could be carried to good matches in that period but there were only a handful of very good workers in the company at that time (like Hart and HBK). My knowledge of WCW and later is limited, but he has seemed either unmotivated or too broken down to do anything impressive since that time.

I'm not sure where they would have cut that match, though I haven't watched it in a few years. That's definitely not the match where a kid runs into the ring though, because I'm pretty certain that happened in an HBK/Austin match. Probably King of the Ring 97. I distinctly remember Austin sarcastically holding the ropes open for Shawn to get back in the ring.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Basically he had good matches with the usual suspects. I f'n hate Nash.
It's on the OMG! Most Shocking Incidents and they have obviously cut something because commentary goes quiet and then cut to several shots of the crowd for about 20 seconds.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Motorheads cover was on the first ECW CD and wasn't very good. There was a great cover of Walk, however.

We don't talk about the second ECW CD.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Shima Honnou posted:

That'd make a fun way to see some of those Christian/Punk ECW matches.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

Basically he had good matches with the usual suspects. I f'n hate Nash.
It's on the OMG! Most Shocking Incidents and they have obviously cut something because commentary goes quiet and then cut to several shots of the crowd for about 20 seconds.

I haven't seen the version that's on OMG (which is inconveniently no longer on Netflix) but might it be the spot where Nash wraps Hebner's belt around Michaels' neck and hangs him over the ropes? It's a pretty gruesome spot even for today, and way worse than the tie choking that got Daniel Bryan temporarily fired a few years ago.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I haven't seen the version that's on OMG (which is inconveniently no longer on Netflix) but might it be the spot where Nash wraps Hebner's belt around Michaels' neck and hangs him over the ropes? It's a pretty gruesome spot even for today, and way worse than the tie choking that got Daniel Bryan temporarily fired a few years ago.

Yeah, as far as I know, every compilation version of the match cuts out after the sidewalk slam, missing Diesel choking Hebner to steal his belt, whipping HBK, hanging him and then beating him with a chair while he's hanging. This lovely video shows some of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3EeCPLegvw&t=68s

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

tzirean posted:

Yeah, as far as I know, every compilation version of the match cuts out after the sidewalk slam, missing Diesel choking Hebner to steal his belt, whipping HBK, hanging him and then beating him with a chair while he's hanging. This lovely video shows some of it:

That part of the match is on the old HBK "From the Vault" DVD from like '03.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

That part of the match is on the old HBK "From the Vault" DVD from like '03.

Huh. That's kind of embarrassing, since I have that DVD somewhere. Now I kinda want to dig it out and watch that match.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

tzirean posted:

The version on Shawn's first DVD is unedited at least, as is the match on the network obviously. I just rewatched it and it totally holds up btw--I forgot Shawn gets jackknifed through the table and they don't remove the monitors beforehand, so they sort of bounce all around the place and rip the headsets off Vince and Lawler. There's like 4 or 5 crazy memorable spots in that match.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tzirean posted:

That'll make a hell of a match when AJ and Tamina split up. Shame this video has some lovely music instead of the original audio, would have liked to hear the crowd for some of that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a copyright-related reason they only show still shots of what happened at the PPV on the next night's Raw? I used to think it was so people would buy the replay, but I've seen it for minor things too like highspots in an undercard match. They usually play full audio along with it, but no footage.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Now I kinda want to dig it out and watch that match.

Did this...

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I just rewatched it and it totally holds up btw

...and can confirm this.

So many of the small touches are great, too. After the powerbomb through the table, Nash just dismisses Shawn entirely, grabs the belt, climbs into the ring and tells Hebner to strap it around his waist. Shawn drags Lawler's chair back with him from the announcer's table and unintentionally brings along Lawler's headset and monitor outlet. Even Lawler thinks Diesel has crossed the line, as do most of the rebellious fans who were cheering him to that point, when he goes into the crowd, drags out Mad Dog Vachon and steals his leg. Hebner's sell of Shawn low-blowing Diesel is outstanding. And Shawn's post-match celebration ties it all up; he goes into full-on adrenaline-celebration "gently caress you" mode and even knocks Hebner out of the ring.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'm also a fan of Vince shouting at Shawn "Let it be over!" when he gets up after the table spot and Vince's headset has been destroyed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I'm also a fan of Vince shouting at Shawn "Let it be over!" when he gets up after the table spot and Vince's headset has been destroyed.

Yeah, this may even be better than all the things I mentioned. Shawn's face is scrambled, no part of his body is moving the way he wants it to, and Vince is just trying to keep him down, yelling "stay down! just let it be over!" loudly enough for the camera's mic to pick him up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Is there a copyright-related reason they only show still shots of what happened at the PPV on the next night's Raw? I used to think it was so people would buy the replay, but I've seen it for minor things too like highspots in an undercard match. They usually play full audio along with it, but no footage.

It's part of their deal with PPV providers, the footage wasn't allowed to be shown until 30 days after the initial airing of the PPV.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Speaking of the "Good Friends, Better Enemies" PPV, what the HELL was up with that Goldust/Warrior match? I'm assuming Goldust was legit injured, but "card subject to change" as been a thing as long for as long as I can remember. Did they just really hate the idea of pulling an advertised match back in those days? It's funny in retrospect, because they'd drop an IC title match from a modern-day Wrestlemania without a thought if they were short on time. Yet here they were jumping through hoops to deliver it on a random B-show.

Or was the problem actually that Warrior wasn't able to wrestle? I'm assuming they considered him the real attraction here, so I'm not sure why they didn't just have him wrestle someone else in a real match.

A recap of the "match" for those who aren't familiar:

- Goldust does the standard "heel champ tries to walk out" bit
- Warrior smokes Marlena's cigar and sits in Goldust's director chair
- Goldust gets mad and comes back in the ring
- Warrior and Goldust stall for like 10 minutes and do a weird silent comedy act
- Warrior knocks Goldust out of a chair and beats his chest like a gorilla
- Goldust leaves the ring with the belt and gets counted out for real this time
- Warrior bodyslam's Goldust's bodyguard, then puts on the bodyguard's hat
- The end

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

tzirean posted:

Did this...

...and can confirm this.

So many of the small touches are great, too. After the powerbomb through the table, Nash just dismisses Shawn entirely, grabs the belt, climbs into the ring and tells Hebner to strap it around his waist. Shawn drags Lawler's chair back with him from the announcer's table and unintentionally brings along Lawler's headset and monitor outlet. Even Lawler thinks Diesel has crossed the line, as do most of the rebellious fans who were cheering him to that point, when he goes into the crowd, drags out Mad Dog Vachon and steals his leg. Hebner's sell of Shawn low-blowing Diesel is outstanding. And Shawn's post-match celebration ties it all up; he goes into full-on adrenaline-celebration "gently caress you" mode and even knocks Hebner out of the ring.

I have the HBK Vault DVD, but I also have the 'Best of IYH' blu-ray, and can't remember if that shows the belt hanging.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

So, I've been watching some 80's shows on the Network, and I keep asking one question:
Why and how did Lord Alfred Hayes get and keep his job? The man looks terrified whenever he's in front of a camera, stumbles and stutters over anything that's prewritten and generally sounds nervous as hell on commentary. He seriously sounds not so much like English is his second language, but like he's unfamiliar with language itself. And he was employed that way for ages!

Was he an old buddy of Vince Sr. or something?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

His Promotional Consideration Paid For By The Following was great. :colbert:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Minidust posted:

Speaking of the "Good Friends, Better Enemies" PPV, what the HELL was up with that Goldust/Warrior match? I'm assuming Goldust was legit injured, but "card subject to change" as been a thing as long for as long as I can remember. Did they just really hate the idea of pulling an advertised match back in those days? It's funny in retrospect, because they'd drop an IC title match from a modern-day Wrestlemania without a thought if they were short on time. Yet here they were jumping through hoops to deliver it on a random B-show.

Or was the problem actually that Warrior wasn't able to wrestle? I'm assuming they considered him the real attraction here, so I'm not sure why they didn't just have him wrestle someone else in a real match.

A recap of the "match" for those who aren't familiar:

- Goldust does the standard "heel champ tries to walk out" bit
- Warrior smokes Marlena's cigar and sits in Goldust's director chair
- Goldust gets mad and comes back in the ring
- Warrior and Goldust stall for like 10 minutes and do a weird silent comedy act
- Warrior knocks Goldust out of a chair and beats his chest like a gorilla
- Goldust leaves the ring with the belt and gets counted out for real this time
- Warrior bodyslam's Goldust's bodyguard, then puts on the bodyguard's hat
- The end

I saw a video :airquote: review of the match and I was absolutely mystified by it. If it wasn't the worst match I'd ever seen, it was drat close. I simply can't conceive of the thought process behind it.

The actual match isn't on youtube, but this "review" of it shows the monstrosity in its entirety.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been going through WCW PPVs starting with 1994; did any actually enjoy Kevin Sullivan? He seems to have a match on every single PPV.

Also, what is Paul Orndorff's best match?