Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I don't know how many of you are on Dime-a-Dozen, but a couple members have started to upload audience recordings of Steve Vai shows from the Sex & Religion tour (some FLAC, some PAL DVDs)...definitely worth checking out to hear/see Devin in his earliest days, the disillusionment of which led to Strapping Young Lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It's amazing how awful that album is even for Vai.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm learning how to play Kingdom on guitar because I'm a masochistic bastard with too much time on my hands.

16th notes at 176bpm? Seriously? gently caress you Devin.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

origami posted:

It's amazing how awful that album is even for Vai.
step away from the crack pipe kiddo

neillyb
Nov 15, 2005

People say alcohol is a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink
For the PledgeMusic thing I paid 55 quid for handwritten Stagnant lyrics. He signed my Terria CD in Glasgow in 2011 at a guitar workshop, I'm going to frame all that and whack it up on my wall.

I'm pathetic

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

henpod posted:

Just ordered the signed double album. Really happy to see he's getting so much support, and with so much time to go still its gonna be awesome to see more flood in.

I ordered this too, I'm pretty stoked that excess funds are going to help fund some of his other projects too.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I finally got around to listening to Accelerated Evolution, and its pretty neat. Even the songs I don't like overall have some incredible riffs that make them worth a listen, and Deadhead seems to be the standout track of the lot. Is it fair to say that this album is the closest thing to Ocean Machine that Devin has put out?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Chocobo posted:

I finally got around to listening to Accelerated Evolution, and its pretty neat. Even the songs I don't like overall have some incredible riffs that make them worth a listen, and Deadhead seems to be the standout track of the lot. Is it fair to say that this album is the closest thing to Ocean Machine that Devin has put out?

Wow, never really thought about it like that but I guess it is the closest album to Ocean Machine. I've always really liked Accelerated Evolution for exactly that reason, the riffs are fantastic from the outset and like seemingly every Devin album it'll grow on you more and more.

Depth charge is an incredible opening salvo as well.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

What I love about Dev's albums,especially compared to other musicians who try to be emotional, is that they resolve. He also expresses the emotions through music, voice, and thoughtful phrases rather than literal "I'm angry and this is why!". I see it most in Terra, AE and Synchestra in that they are kind of upbeat but aggressive, then get really dark, but then come out on a happier side and get past whatever was the problem (if that makes any sense).

Deadhead and Suicide are a brutal combo, but the album progresses to be pretty cheery. AE and Terra have my favorite sound as far as guitar tone and solo style. I never thought of the guitar work as 'wanky' but really expressive and I don't hear it so much anymore. It's really noticed in the Safe Zone DVD fills between songs. There hasn't really been another Deep Peace or Away. He still pulls of the 'wanky' stuff well but that's exactly how it feels, as he acknowledges himself and done in Deconstruction.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Where does a guy start with SYL? I've skimmed a couple of albums and just haven't been able to get into it. Anyone care to recommend their top couple of SYL song picks?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Chocobo posted:

Where does a guy start with SYL? I've skimmed a couple of albums and just haven't been able to get into it. Anyone care to recommend their top couple of SYL song picks?

I think City is a masterpiece but a lot of people might suggest the S/T. Either one is really good.

JustTheWorst
Sep 14, 2008

Filled with delicious shrimp!

Chocobo posted:

I'd recommend All Hail the New Flesh, Shitstorm, Skeksis, and Bring on the Young (though that last one is pretty atypical of SYL, I have a soft spot for it.) If you like listening to full albums, City and Alien are both amazing basically from start to finish.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I'll check out City and Alien for starters. I think I only stayed clear of SYL because it felt a bit heavy for me, but now it doesn't seem too big of a stretch after listening to and really enjoying Physicist.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'd start from 'a really heavy thing' and follow the progress of the music through the albums but that's just me.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I didn't listen to it much just due to how foul and angry it was and I didn't "understand" Devin at the time. I was kind of prude about language and stuff. I also loved Physicist, though, so that was a nice bridge to it. Alien is the only full album I listen to, but my go-to tracks are Almost Again, Skeksis, Aftermath, Relentless, Last Minute, AAA, In the Rainy Season, Shine, Zen, and The New Black.

I was first introduced to Devin's music when SYL played at a festival and I'd heard lots about him. I was a bit taken aback by it, though, until I later heard Regulator, Earth Day and DTB's stuff when looking into Dev's work. I didn't really get SYL until 5 or so years later and wish I understood what I was seeing back then since it would never be seen again. I have some personal issues similar to Devin and I've found SYL to be a huge help when pressure gets to be a bit much, which seems a bit contrary but man does/did he know how to let it all out. First hearing Skeksis was one of the most powerful music experiences I've ever had.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alien, then City.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Chocobo posted:

The first one I heard is Alien - it has great production, is clear, chaotic and is loving awesome.

Tracks to listen to : Love, Skeksis, Zen.

Then either listen to City or the last SYL, The New Black which I also think is great.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The New Black is definitely SYL's most accessible record. In terms of sound it's way closer to DTB than the rest of their catalogue.

Their self-titled was what pushed me into finding them interesting after a few years of already being way into Devin's other projects. Aftermath is crushing.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I can't stand S/T personally. There's nothing in there for me.

If you're coming from the solo stuff then I definitely agree on The New Black. City is the magnum opus of SYL.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the suggestions, also going to snag The New Black.

I'm pretty sure Physicist is the gateway Devin to harder, more dangerous Devins. There should be a PSA about this poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Physicist has a shameful-rear end mix.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Ah, it is what it is. In terms of production, he's certainly come a long way since Ocean Machine and Physicist.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah i'm not a fan at all of the self-titled SYL, but the rest is amazing. I really wish he would re-record Physicist as it sounds compressed as hell or whatever.

Alien is still my fave. Skeksis is just such a beast of a song.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imperial->Skeksis->Shitstorm is godly. I know City is considered the landmark but for me, Alien is the best.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I remember the first time I heard Shitstorm. I was also quite new to metal at the time and it left me in a daze. I had never anything so irrationally angry and chaotic. I seem to remember him screaming something about not being able to piss.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First saw Devin as a guitarist in The Wildhearts at Donnington in 1994, he did seem to be a far better musician than any of the rest of the band. That's twenty loving years ago.

Caught Strapping Young Lad in 1998 for their City album tour. There was only about 30 of us in the venue (a disco!), so after Devin introduced the band he asked us to shout out our names as well. Half way through the gig, he had a race with one bloke to see who could run around the dance floor fastest. They put on a full show ("We're getting paid anyway!") and my ears physically hurt after the gig, it was so loud.

City still holds a place in my heart balls to the wall intensity.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

City is my point of entry as well, and since it was also my point of entry to the wonderful world of Tod A., it earns bonus points.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imperial->Skeksis->Shitstorm is godly. I know City is considered the landmark but for me, Alien is the best.

henpod posted:

I remember the first time I heard Shitstorm. I was also quite new to metal at the time and it left me in a daze. I had never anything so irrationally angry and chaotic. I seem to remember him screaming something about not being able to piss.

Everything in Shitstorm from "All I've been looking for is an excuse to feel this way" right through to the end in incredible, and that musical burst from "I'll show you how to be crazy gently caress YOU" still sends shivers down my spine. We Ride is also a highlight.

Having said this, my favourite SYL tracks are actually the two bonus tracks on Heavy as a really heavy thing. Japan and Monday. Really awesome if you can track them down.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Wow. Hadn't heard Monday before. It's added to the list of his stuff I can never play loud enough.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

spamman posted:

Having said this, my favourite SYL tracks are actually the two bonus tracks on Heavy as a really heavy thing. Japan and Monday. Really awesome if you can track them down.

They're available on iTunes, Amazon MP3, and through Spotify, so they're not too hard to find anymore if you're in the US. Glad someone pointed this out, because these two songs (and Centipede from the City re-release) were missing from my SYL playlist.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Optimum Gulps posted:

I don't know how many of you are on Dime-a-Dozen, but a couple members have started to upload audience recordings of Steve Vai shows from the Sex & Religion tour (some FLAC, some PAL DVDs)...definitely worth checking out to hear/see Devin in his earliest days, the disillusionment of which led to Strapping Young Lad.

So what exactly was the story behind Devin starting Strapping Young Lad? Did he have some kind of falling out with Steve Vai? Or was it just the music industry as a whole?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

a big fat bunny posted:

They're available on iTunes, Amazon MP3, and through Spotify, so they're not too hard to find anymore if you're in the US. Glad someone pointed this out, because these two songs (and Centipede from the City re-release) were missing from my SYL playlist.

They were also on a bonus disc with the vinyl box sets, which I was pretty pumped about.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't really like The New Black. I expected too much from it. It is a Devin album masquerading as an SYL album. But at least he was honest about it: "We're doing it for the baby!"

Chocobo posted:

AE was one of my first introductions to Devin's music, and it remains as one of my favorite albums. Deadhead is epic, and Sunday Afternoon has inspired me on several occasions.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Agreed. City is special, but Alien usually gets more plays. That trilogy of opening tracks cannot be beat.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Shankel Magnus posted:

So what exactly was the story behind Devin starting Strapping Young Lad? Did he have some kind of falling out with Steve Vai? Or was it just the music industry as a whole?

No. What he, and others, think happened is he got offered a deal for his own work which was almost immediately dropped by the company after signing on with Vai, the implication being the company never intended to publish his own work there and just wanted him in Steves band. Chronologically, his oldest stuff is actually some of the music on Ocean Machine, even though it was his fourth album of his own music he was able to put out on the market. Between that point and his starting on with Vai there were half a dozen false starts and companies dropping him like a handful of hot poo poo, which led to such incredibly angry gems as Punky Bruster. On top of this, his reputation at the time was somebody who helped other people perform their music, which for someone like Dev is anathema.

SYL was just the name of the project that ended up getting published, and wasn't formed specifically out of anger at anybody.

e: Not to say he wan't angry as gently caress about anything and everything at the time. Who wouldn't be?

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 26, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I had City for like 2 or 3 years before I finally 'got' it. I was laying in bed one night, completely pitch black and with nothing but headphones for stimulus, and it was only then that my brain was able to process the amount of depth and layers upon layers upon layers that is All Hail the New Flesh. Before that point, I was kinda turned off by it because it was just too 'wall of sound' but once I listened to it like that, it all clicked and it is now one of my most treasured metal albums.

It's loving phenominal, listen to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin leaked out Z2's tenative tracklist on Facebook. The "theme" of the album is "Ziltoid vs. the DTP", with both sides getting their own disc. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a double album.)

quote:

Ziltoid:
Z2
Ziltoidian Overture
From Sleep Awake
Deathray
War Princess
March Of The Poozers
Silent Militia
EARTH
Ziltoid Goes Home
Dimension Z

DTP:
Rejoice
Fallout
Warrior Way
Midnight Sun
Loud
-untitled-
-Untitled-
Offer Your Light
Rain City
Farther On

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Does anyone know when the Ziltoid Radio Show is coming back?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Devin leaked out Z2's tenative tracklist on Facebook. The "theme" of the album is "Ziltoid vs. the DTP", with both sides getting their own disc. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a double album.)

poo poo, I want this like yesterday.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
As Casualties is the next one up, Z2 probably won't come out until later in the year :(. I really want this too, more than casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Goddamn, another two albums coming up already, if devin takes good care of himself we might have someone whose total musical output compares to zappa's.

• Locked thread