Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

monster on a stick posted:

I wouldn't mind if I could place a 'hold' on a city/bishopric saying that next time someone kicks the bucket, it goes to the son who wants to be landed so badly. That or lower the penalty for revoking the title of a low-level vassal - realistically I doubt your Dukes will care very much if you revoke a barony to give your son something to do.

You can do that with bishoprics already if you have Free Investiture (Appoint Successor button in the religion window, as long as the kid in question isn't your heir), baronies are supposed to be inherited by the children of the holders (or you if the baron has no heirs), and a mayorship is a step down that no proper noble scion would accept. :colbert:

The entire point of feudalism as reflected in the game is that it's a contract, a solemn oath that goes both ways. If you break it for someone, anyone, the tyranny penalty is meant to reflect all the other vassals asking "am I next? Should keep faith if the King is an oathbreaker? If I don't, will the others back me up?"

If you don't want that problem and uncertainty, strip the next rebel of a title, or go conquer someone for land to hand them, or extinguish the family of one of your barons (quietly so nobody notices) so you'll inherit it and hand it to the kid, or send the kid away from court, or leave them to hang around in all their bitter envy.

You have plenty of choices. It's just that they all have consequences that actually have to be kept in mind.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dallan Invictus posted:

You can do that with bishoprics already if you have Free Investiture (Appoint Successor button in the religion window, as long as the kid in question isn't your heir), baronies are supposed to be inherited by the children of the holders (or you if the baron has no heirs), and a mayorship is a step down that no proper noble scion would accept. :colbert:

The entire point of feudalism as reflected in the game is that it's a contract, a solemn oath that goes both ways. If you break it for someone, anyone, the tyranny penalty is meant to reflect all the other vassals asking "am I next? Should keep faith if the King is an oathbreaker? If I don't, will the others back me up?"

If you don't want that problem and uncertainty, strip the next rebel of a title, or go conquer someone for land to hand them, or extinguish the family of one of your barons (quietly so nobody notices) so you'll inherit it and hand it to the kid, or send the kid away from court, or leave them to hang around in all their bitter envy.

You have plenty of choices. It's just that they all have consequences that actually have to be kept in mind.

Or save a ton of trouble and just build a new barony...? Preferably in the least hospitable, most isolated corner of the realm.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That can get expensive, but yeah. (yes, stabbings can get expensive, but barons don't usually have gigantic sprawling family trees to slaughter if you're going that route.)

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Is adventurers an Old Gods only thing, because Ive probably played almost 200 hours since that patch was released and I haven't seen a single adventurer-related event, either in mine or another realm.

I think alot of these changes are pretty good. Unlanded children was definitely something that needed more bite to it and the King of France having his son tutored by his chancellor, thus making him an Egyptian Jew is kind of silly.

I always kind of wished there was some kind of way to gauge how the commoners feel about the king and tie the events in with that, something like the overall revolt levels of the provinces effecting the "Flock to rebel banner" event. I don't so much mind that Douxbag Athenios gets some free soldiers so long as there's some in-game reason for it. The game is already too easy as it is IMO.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 18, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Or save a ton of trouble and just build a new barony...? Preferably in the least hospitable, most isolated corner of the realm.

That's what I ended up doing. Unfortunately Zoroastrians don't have a "go join a holy order/take the vows" button available to them, which is too bad; the best I could do with anyone (including former rebels) was banish them to the Immortals, whose court was in Dunbar, Scotland of all places :psyduck:

VVVV - hostages are already part of a peace treaty, capturing important people (family members, etc.) will increase your warscore and capturing the leader of the country/revolt will usually get you to 100%.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 18, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DStecks posted:

From patch notes:

-Foreign rulers are now generally quite willing to take on wards as hostages

Hopefully this might mean that some day, hostages can be negotiated as part of a peace treaty. Is there a compelling reason, gameplay or historical accuracy, for Crusader Kings' peace negotiation system being a lot more basic and inflexible than EU's?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How can you make a son join a holy order?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
The other thing thats I don't think anyone's mentioned with the new tutoring changes:

1) Does this mean that you can have those high skilled Jewish courtiers around as tutors without having to worry about them converting your heirs?
2) Does this make it harder to convert the heirs of your different culture vassals?

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

Is adventurers an Old Gods only thing, because Ive probably played almost 200 hours since that patch was released and I haven't seen a single adventurer-related event, either in mine or another realm.

No, I saw adventurers before I bought Old Gods.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jpmeyer posted:

The other thing thats I don't think anyone's mentioned with the new tutoring changes:

1) Does this mean that you can have those high skilled Jewish courtiers around as tutors without having to worry about them converting your heirs?
2) Does this make it harder to convert the heirs of your different culture vassals?

1. yes
2. I assume you'll still be able to get them to convert if they have good relations with you just by asking them?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Welp.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

- Added 'reincarnated' trigger
- Added effect 'set_reincarnation'
- Added event target 'reincarnation'

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Caufman posted:

Hopefully this might mean that some day, hostages can be negotiated as part of a peace treaty. Is there a compelling reason, gameplay or historical accuracy, for Crusader Kings' peace negotiation system being a lot more basic and inflexible than EU's?

I'd just like diplomacy to be more of a real negotiation, not just "I like you X much, have this thing".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
From GBS thread on bizarre children's books, this is a daycare centre where they apparently perform blots and use the children:

Don't send your kids to be educated in foreign courts, okay?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So those patch notes sound like 5 things I'd like and every other one concerning realms and titles sound like trash. Is the best way to ignore the patch to just copy the steam game folders to elsewhere?

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 19, 2014

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

From GBS thread on bizarre children's books, this is a daycare centre where they apparently perform blots and use the children:

That is incredibly creepy without context. And with any possible context. Can you link the thread please?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pester posted:

That is incredibly creepy without context. And with any possible context. Can you link the thread please?

Google Image Search does a great job here.

quote:

Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
The words of the text and the objects and situations illustrated are based on months of intensive research into the nature and practice of satanic ritual abuse. Any child who has been ritually abused will recog-nize [sic] the vilidity [sic] of this story.
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Back-Mommy-Childhood/dp/0880703679

Some commentary (note - vigilantcitizen.com appears batshit):
http://www.anorak.co.uk/391307/news/dont-make-me-go-back-mommy-the-1990-childrens-book-about-satanic-ritual-abuse.html/
http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/dont-make-go-back-mommy-creepy-childrens-book-satanic-ritual-abuse/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Wait why?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

VigilantCitizen is an incredibly batshit blog.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

So those patch notes sound like 5 things I'd like and every other one concerning realms and titles sound like trash. Is the best way to ignore the patch to just copy the steam game folders to elsewhere?

The current version will be included as a beta branch in Steam if you're lazy, but the best way is probably to copy your folders.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pester posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617420

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shadeoses posted:

Isn't that a beautiful way to go out, painlessly as a happy child? Trouble with dying later is you've already grown up. The damage is done. It's too late.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ulmont posted:

Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)

Wait, "Hurts of Childhood Series"? So this is supposed to be a series of books about the bad things that can happen during childhood, and satanic ritual abuse is included as just a thing that happens? Because for the record, it doesn't, and never has. Satanic ritual abuse is 100% urban legend.

Fake edit: looking into this book series, the rest are all completely loving serious looking.
  • It Must Hurt a Lot: A Book about Death and Learning and Growing (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Can't Talk About It: A Child's Book About Sexual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Something Must Be Wrong with Me: A Boy's Book about Sexual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Don't Look at Me: A Child's Book about Feeling Different (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • My Real Family: A Child's Book about Living in a Stepfamily (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Please Come Home: A Child's Book about Divorce (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Can Say No: A Child's Book about Drug Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • It Won't Last Forever: Living with a Depressed Parent (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Know the World's Worst Secret: A Child's Book about Living with an Alcoholic Parent (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • For Your Own Good: A Child's Book about Living in a Foster Home (Hurts of Childhood Series)

REAL EDIT: I'm gonna take any further discussion of this to the relevant thread.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You know if they are going to include reincarnation event triggers and traits, they should also let people put spells on each other.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I noticed in the Dev Stream that the river Nile and Euphrat/Tigris are not major rivers. I think that they should be, unless I'm missing something.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Earwicker posted:

You know if they are going to include reincarnation event triggers and traits, they should also let people put spells on each other.

I figure it's more like the Saoshyant trait, where it's not so much that you are a literal reincarnation so much as the character in question identifies as the reincarnation of a particular ancestor, and try to emulate them, and other people treat them as such.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Awesome.

I started a game as the Duke of Kent, manage to help Saxon England survive, marry a welsh princess and get a son.

I marry the son to an Ethiopian chick. Then for some reason decide to press my wife's claim on Gwynned. She becomes queen, then dies, and our son takes the throne. So now Gwynned has a Saxon king. And the rest of the royal family is rather... swarthy.

I can't wait to see what other chaos I can cause in the British Isles.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Disco Infiva posted:

I noticed in the Dev Stream that the river Nile and Euphrat/Tigris are not major rivers. I think that they should be, unless I'm missing something.

Could it be that they are too broad and shallow, or variable on flooding? Then again, it's supposed to be for the all-terrain longboats not clunky oceanic galleons, and you can sail up the Danube all the way to the Alps, which is rather impressive.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

I figure it's more like the Saoshyant trait, where it's not so much that you are a literal reincarnation so much as the character in question identifies as the reincarnation of a particular ancestor, and try to emulate them, and other people treat them as such.

That's the impression I got as well from the pcgamer article:

quote:

The Buddhist belief system also introduces reincarnation, a particularly interesting addition given CK2's focus on succession. "I want to do really cool things about reincarnation, but I'm not sure how much we're going to be able to do," Fåhraeus says.

"I want a kid to be born, and people will think he's the reincarnation of a previous ruler, probably one of the better ones, and then maybe he will actually take on some of those personality traits."

I ask if there will be room for players to fabricate reincarnation claims to bestow advantage on your offspring, but the team are worried about presenting the concept in such cynical, power-grabbing terms.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Tsyni posted:

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the thread recently. Is there some issue with achievements and iron man? I am not using mods, and I played one game where the tool-tip for iron man on the loading screen said the save was messed up and achievements were disabled, so I started a new game and got some achievements at first, but now I'm not getting ones that I should be andddd I have no idea why.

I've had this happen where Steam didn't sync my saves properly or something and that disabled achievements for that one save. I could get achievements on any new games I started but not on my old ironman saves. Which sucked because I spent hours working on getting the rome achievements.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I imagine because a hell of a lot of those changes sound really, really annoying.

Like, as jpmeyer suggests, it looks like it will now be impossible to 'peacefully' convert vassals to your religion by educating their heirs yourself. It was slow, and not certain to succeed in any given generation, but a nice way of shifting culture. Now your only option will be to revoke titles.

Not that I'm close to uninstalling, but I am rather disappointed.

edit: It also kills off one of my favored ways of spreading paganism - capturing a child of the ruler in a raid, raising them myself, and releasing them at 16, then marrying them to a close relative and pressing their claim.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 19, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TomViolence posted:

Seems pretty spot-on to me. In my experience, real-world zealots have a lot more respect, if not tolerance, for those that equal their own commitment to faiths they might loathe. A fundamentalist muslim should respect a fundamentalist christian far more than they respect a liberal, humanistic christian, jew or even someone of their own faith with those values.

Funny story about that, I was playing as the King of Ireland (managed to reunify the realm fairly quickly) and was playing as the son of the uniter. My guy was a well respected diplomat and general, he also was zealous, but had the charitable, king and just trait. Several years in I get a Jewish courtier who would make an insanely good steward. My king, despite his initial misgiving about the Jewish faith, decided that it was in the interest of the realm to have this man manage the finances and appointed him. I should also mention this courtier had almost identical traits as my ruler (zealous, just, kind, charitable all being the same). Fastforword a few years later and at a feast, the two end up bonding over some wine and becoming best friends. Once friends though, an event fired off that had the king wondering if he could have a "heathen" as a friend, but being kind, he said "of course I can!" Then another chain fired off that saw the two have a religious debate, each trying to convert the other, but obviously they both stayed the same.

At this time I'd been fabricating claims on the North Islands and pressed my claims. I'd managed to take them quickly, but the plan was to give them to my king's jewish friend so his people could have land to call their own. Sadly, the friend died just as I seized the last province, however he had a son who was ready to be educated and my king, despite being a zealous catholic took him in, and never tried to convert him, out of respect for his friend. Ten years go by and the kid comes out a Grey Eminence with high martial stats, so the king gives him the islands and the ducal title for the three, then died the very next day (he'd been infirm for a while). I like to think he held out to make sure his friend's kid had a good future and so that he could fulfill that promise he made long ago to give his friend's people a home.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Strudel Man posted:

edit: It also kills off one of my favored ways of spreading paganism - capturing a child of the ruler in a raid, raising them myself, and releasing them at 16, then marrying them to a close relative and pressing their claim.

The patch notes:
- Children can no longer pick up the religion or culture of a guardian if the guardian does not share the religion or culture of his employer

implies this is still possible because you are the guardian and you are your own employer (assuming you're the top liege). Unless the 'his employer' is the 'employer' of the child but then wouldn't they just say parent?

I agree with some of the other things in the patch notes making the game more annoying like more powerful adventures and not being able to join wars against them.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Yeah and they should let your children occasionally be the spawn of satan, capable of regrowing eyes and testicles!

And let the Norse somehow convert their religion into one that is eerily similar to Catholicism!

And let you act out plots of black adder movies!

And fight the Aztecs for control of Spain!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I really need to see the Spawn of Satan event text where Satan regrows your testicles.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Earwicker posted:

I don't really get the rationale for this. It makes perfect sense for allies to help each other defend against peasant and heretical uprisings both gameplay wise and historically.

A quirk of the alliance system was that other rulers would be happy to "join all wars" due to the easy war vs your hated rebels without worrying that it'd also call them into your others wars vs their wife or something. Plus most of these things are meant to be internal problems you deal with yourself.

Earwicker posted:

I'm guessing they did it as some gesture towards historicity since the idea of a medieval ruler deliberately trying to make their heir be a heretic or infidel as part of some plan to create a heretical or infidel future branch of their dynasty is kind of absurd if you think about it.

Well, a bit, it also means you can use nice-statted foreigners in your court to educate your kids without them flipping to their tutor's religion/culture. It was pretty weird that an English kid in an English court would turn Norse just because your awesome viking courtier was teaching him how to stab people.

Strudel Man posted:

I imagine because a hell of a lot of those changes sound really, really annoying.

Like, as jpmeyer suggests, it looks like it will now be impossible to 'peacefully' convert vassals to your religion by educating their heirs yourself. It was slow, and not certain to succeed in any given generation, but a nice way of shifting culture. Now your only option will be to revoke titles.

Not that I'm close to uninstalling, but I am rather disappointed.

You can still do this, you can also still educate your vassal's heirs to your culture, or send your own heir to your vassal or a foreign court if you want to change them. The check is on the guardian's employer, so a Norse guy in English court won't be flipping anyone, but a Norse guy in a Norse court would.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, the culture/religion flipping changes seem to be focussed on the parts of that mechanic that can cause really bizarre things to happen. I imagine it will stop india from flipping to norse because of a single norse member of court flipping the heir via education. You'll still be able to flip culture, but you'll have to do it in a more realistic way by having the subject educated in a location that actually has that culture rather than simply by a person who has that culture. It does make sense even though it makes things less convenient.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chalks posted:

Yeah, the culture/religion flipping changes seem to be focussed on the parts of that mechanic that can cause really bizarre things to happen. I imagine it will stop india from flipping to norse because of a single norse member of court flipping the heir via education. You'll still be able to flip culture, but you'll have to do it in a more realistic way by having the subject educated in a location that actually has that culture rather than simply by a person who has that culture. It does make sense even though it makes things less convenient.

I was dumb and did not understand the changes, but now that Darkrenown explained it I understand that they make the game MORE convenient!

Many people invite foreign courtiers with awesome stats for their council, but you could never use them to educate your heirs since they could change the culture of their heir. Now you CAN use them as tutors, which is quite nice.

On the chance that you want to change the culture/religion of your dynasty, you simply have to land these courtiers and wait for them to generate their own courtiers. Then you can get your heir educated in your vassals court to change his culture/religion. Odds are great that you want to do that only once in the entire game, so having this process be a bit more complicated will be made up by the more convenient normal education of your heirs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

lenoon posted:

And let you act out plots of black adder movies!

Which are the "black adder" plots? I don't think I've ever gotten them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

lenoon posted:

Yeah and they should let your children occasionally be the spawn of satan, capable of regrowing eyes and testicles!
:words:

you seem to have interpreted my post as a passive aggressive jab at non-historical features, but you are wrong... it was in fact a serious request for spellcasting.

• Locked thread