Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hello goons, I'm sort of getting back into anime and am looking for things to watch. I don't know exactly what I'm after so I feel like it might be easier to just say what I like so here it is. I like mysterious and/or dark plot with twists. I like sci-fi and fantasy, but particularly real world or dystopian. I really like it when shows have a unique or unusual art style and/or when they are generally quite atypical compared to other anime (some of my favourites are Monster, Aku no Hana and Tatami Galaxy, all of which I think of as quite "different"). I like things to be ambitious in some way, be it cinematographically or musically or story wise. idk. If any of this sounds like a show you like then tell me, by no means am I looking for a perfect match.

Here are some other things I've really enjoyed which might not entirely fit that description but probably do to an extent:

Fantastic Children
Madoka Magica
Simoun
Serial Experiments Lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

Hello goons, I'm sort of getting back into anime and am looking for things to watch. I don't know exactly what I'm after so I feel like it might be easier to just say what I like so here it is. I like mysterious and/or dark plot with twists. I like sci-fi and fantasy, but particularly real world or dystopian. I really like it when shows have a unique or unusual art style and/or when they are generally quite atypical compared to other anime (some of my favourites are Monster, Aku no Hana and Tatami Galaxy, all of which I think of as quite "different"). I like things to be ambitious in some way, be it cinematographically or musically or story wise. idk. If any of this sounds like a show you like then tell me, by no means am I looking for a perfect match.

Here are some other things I've really enjoyed which might not entirely fit that description but probably do to an extent:

Fantastic Children
Madoka Magica
Simoun
Serial Experiments Lain

From the New World sounds like it might be right up your alley. While the overall art-style is very simple for most of the main cast, you're in for a treat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Paperhouse posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguin Drum, Redline, Dead Leaves, Gankutsuou, The Thousand Stories, Kemonozume, Kaiba, Mind Game, Paranoia Agent, Katanagatari, Kino's Journey, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, maybe Evangelion if you somehow haven't seen it already.

Most of those should have ADTRWiki entries and I'd be happy to write up an extended pitch for any of them if you're not sure or if one stands out in particular. What you described is kind of my thing. :shobon:

Wark Say posted:

From the New World sounds like it might be right up your alley. While the overall art-style is very simple for most of the main cast, you're in for a treat.

This guy also offers good advice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Princess Tutu, if you haven't seen it.

All of you go watch it, it is the best. Even if you've seen it already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Eccentric Family is a good followup to Tatami Galaxy because both are based on books written by the same author. It's not as good as Tatami Galaxy, but still very much worth watching.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is more just me throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, but this is what I came up with quickly that I felt fit most of your suggestions in one form or another:

Casshern SINS
Cowboy Bebop (No really, think about it)
Dennou Coil
Baccano! & Durarara!!
Fate/Zero
Gankutsuou
Kara no Kyoukai
Noein
Paranoia Agent

You've probably seen a good number of them anyway (Bebop) but there you go.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 6, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Paperhouse posted:

Hello goons, I'm sort of getting back into anime and am looking for things to watch.

In addition to what has been mentioned:

Psycho-Pass - Dystopian sci-fi police procedural. Written by the author of Madoka Magica.
Steins;Gate - Sci-fi thriller about time-travel.
Kyousougiga - Sci-fantasy family drama with a heavy emphasis on theme.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Horror/mystery. Dark and mind-bending.
Bakemonogatari - Same driector as Madoka Magica. Very unusual visuals and narrative. Also kinda fanservicey.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 6, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

You might like Tiger and Bunny. It's an interesting take on the concept of the super hero and though there is a light tone for some episodes, it gets pretty dark towards the end of the arcs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paperhouse posted:

This reads to me like a long way of spelling Kaiba.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Watch Mononoke (just Mononoke, no princess)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mors Rattus posted:

Princess Tutu, if you haven't seen it.

All of you go watch it, it is the best. Even if you've seen it already.

It was either this thread or the adtrwiki that got me to watch this a while ago, when I had never planned to. There's all kinds of great stuff going on in this show and it fits the criteria Paperhouse specified pretty drat well.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

Fantastic Children
Madoka Magica

Simoun
Serial Experiments Lain

You should check out Psycho-Pass. It's a dystopian, sci-fi work who's head writer wrote Madoka Magica.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Seconding Psycho-Pass, From the New World, Steins;Gate, Kyousougiga, and Casshern Sins, though the latter is less mystery than some really depressing sci-fi drama (drat good, nonetheless). Similar to Casshern Sins, and from the creator of Lain, there's also Texnolyze.

I'd be careful with suggesting Bakemonogatari though. That series is a strange road to head down, but it's really, really rewarding if you can get to the end since the most recent season was beyond fantastic, and if you can deal with the horrible poo poo that shows up in the middle (I'm looking at you, family toothbrushing scene).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

I really like it when shows have a unique or unusual art style and/or when they are generally quite atypical compared to other anime (some of my favourites are Monster, Aku no Hana and Tatami Galaxy, all of which I think of as quite "different").

Gankutsuou is definitely one of the more uniquely animated animes I've seen. And it's a fairly decent (sci-fi) adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo to boot!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since it's been stickied I'll bite: what is the appeal of Gundam Build Fighters? The initial concept seemed like "Angelic Layer but with gunpla!" In general I've never been much of a Gundam franchise fan, if that matters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nate RFB posted:

Since it's been stickied I'll bite: what is the appeal of Gundam Build Fighters? The initial concept seemed like "Angelic Layer but with gunpla!" In general I've never been much of a Gundam franchise fan, if that matters.

I think mostly 'people taking gunpla absurdly seriously' mixed with intensely self-aware Gundam jokes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

It's a fun show with likeable characters, doesn't take itself too seriously, has tons of references to other Gundam shows and is obviously created by people who actually care about the material. It also has tons of cool fights that can be as brutal as they like because the stakes aren't as high.

Not sure how much you'd get out of it if you're not already a Gundam fan though.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^
I find it hella entertaining and I cannot with any precision say what model x Gundam is apart from being able to say roughly what "a zaku" looks like. I've actually watched 08th MS Team, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam 00, SEED and SEED Destiny but I can pretty much not remember anything about them and I really don't care about what model x thing is. I've completely missed every single nod to older Gundam shows apart from "newtype" stuff, I think.

Well, okay, I laughed about the bar full of Zeon fans in the early episodes.

It's a good standalone work is what I mean to say.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

TheMopeSquad posted:

I've been sitting on 40 gigs of movies that I just finished (re)watching, Evangelion Rebuild 1/2/3, End of Evangelion, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, and TTGL Gurren/Lagann-hen and really want to cap it off with some more things just as epic/insane to further gently caress my mind into oblivion.

Disregarding Berserk Golden Age and Redline which I've seen fairly recently, any suggestions?

You likely came down from this high quite some time ago but I'm stupefied that nobody recommended Gunbuster/Diebuster so there you go.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Grenadier posted:

You likely came down from this high quite some time ago but I'm stupefied that nobody recommended Gunbuster/Diebuster so there you go.

I *almost* did but I have been harping on them so much recently I felt it would feel kinda repetitive outta my mouth.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If anyone is interested, but hasn't seen his work, Crunchyroll is doing their annual "Makoto Shinkai Day" this weekend and is streaming (almost) all of his movies and shorts.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-842341/global-shinkai-day-2014

quote:

The following works will be available for ALL Crunchyroll users WORLDWIDE, (excluding Japan)
- 5 Centimeters Per Second
- Children Who Chase Lost Voices
- Voices of a Distant Star
- The Place Promised in Our Early Days
- She and Her Cat (NEW)
- Crossroad (NEW)

edit: no Garden of Words though, that's disappointing.

They are however having a contest where you could win a signed copy!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 15, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, after watching Nisekoi for a while, I decided to drop it. A friend who disliked it way more (quoting her: "A Craptacular derivative mess") than I did recommended me a title called Bonnouji. Is she out of her mind? Or is this Bonnouji legit good?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bonnouji is legit great. It's a manga rather than an anime though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bonnouji is one of the best mangas out there about relationships.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Bonnouji is great and I would love for it to get a noitaminA anime, but that will probably never happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bonnouji is the best. Period.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just watched FLCL for the first time, and I really really liked it. Seriously what an amazing god damned show. Also that soundtrack :stare:. I never watched anime before, minus a very small amount of DBZ and Naruto when I was in middle school. What other animes do people think I would be interested in in that case? I'm also watching Kill la Kill and will probably watch Gurren Lagann at some point, and looking at the writer/director of FLCL it looks like they haven't done much since.

I guess my point is, whoever said earlier ITT that gainax and FLCL was a bad way to introduce people to the wonders of anime, holy poo poo look at how wrong you are.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I just watched FLCL for the first time, and I really really liked it. Seriously what an amazing god damned show. Also that soundtrack :stare:. I never watched anime before, minus a very small amount of DBZ and Naruto when I was in middle school. What other animes do people think I would be interested in in that case? I'm also watching Kill la Kill and will probably watch Gurren Lagann at some point, and looking at the writer/director of FLCL it looks like they haven't done much since.

It sounds like you're already following up on Hiroyuki Imaishi's stuff; he animated several of the best scenes in FLCL, so if you liked the energy and style of the show that's the way to go. He's kind of an animator's animator -- the writing in his shows is wildly inconsistent and sometimes downright crap, depending on who he has actually doing the script, but they're a joy to watch anyways.

On the other side of thngs, Kazuya Tsurumaki hasn't directed that much on his own, but he was the assistant director to Hideaki Anno on Evangelion, and Eva deals with some similar themes to FLCL (although in a much less humorous context.)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

icantfindaname posted:

Try Redline for stylish action with a rad soundtrack and Kyousougiga for heartwarming with moments of stylish animation, also has a pretty good soundtrack. Dead Leaves will probably get recommended to you, though I haven't watched it myself yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dead Leaves is what you get when Imaishi went back and rewatched FLCL and thought "man, this is too boring and cerebral. I need something with a little more life in it!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You should also watch Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, because it's also by Imaishi. The dub's hilarious, and rumour goes that the show was created from a drunk conversation over just how far they could cross the line in bad taste before getting told to stop. Turns out that you can get away with a lot when you hide the nastier swearwords in english rather than Japanese. The show also pokes fun at a quite a bit of American TV shows, from zombie movies to Transformers, and even takes a swing at Ren and Stimpy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I guess my point is, whoever said earlier ITT that gainax and FLCL was a bad way to introduce people to the wonders of anime, holy poo poo look at how wrong you are.

Outside of Imaishi's other stuff, you'd probably like Nichijou. It's just as insane, despite being a slice of life comedy. Here, have a clip, or two.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
The story's pretty poo poo, literally, but the animation is insane in the Korean film Aachi And Ssipak. If you like Imaishi's stuff then I think you would like this movie too if you don't mind gross out humor.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

It's almost as if anime runs an incredibly broad spectrum and people are interested in different things!

Also, you'd probably enjoy Dead Leaves.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gainax as babbys first anime studio can be rough just because their hits are executed at an incredibly high level compared to the vast majority of anime consists of.

Additionally, there is a level of fandom in many gainax productions that may make them totally foreign in ways that say, cowboy bebop, which is something executed incredibly well but really DOESN'T use and bounce ideas of what anime tropes are and twist them and use them baldly etc etc.

But basically if you have an open mind and like some fun crazy poo poo gainax's major productions are often going to reward a new viewer, but if you are the sort of person to be put off initially by 'weird' or bizarre or foreign or intentionally hosed up jokes, plot lines, animation styles, what have you, I can see gainax joints being incredibly hostile.

edit: also, cat buttholes/balls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone able to comment on whether or not the new Harlock: Space Pirate CGI movie is any good?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Haven't had the chance to sit down and watch it yet but I did skim through it and the action and visuals look awesome.

Except the feathered hair, holy poo poo Japan stop with the feathered hair.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I have Netflix and just got Crunchyroll as well. Looking for a new series to start that I can stream on one of those. Here's what I've seen and what I thought.

Loved
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Elfen Lied
Kuroko's Basketball
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Chrono Crusade
Hellsing

Neutral
Gantz
Eyeshield 21
Ergo Proxy
Appleseed
Ranma
Tenchi Muyo
Evangelion
Fullmetal Alchemist
Azumanga Daioh
Trigun

Disliked (after a couple episodes)
Dragon Ball
Naruto
One Piece
Excel Saga
FLCL

Industrial fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 20, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Watch Berserk. Then read it because the anime is old and the movies have horrible drastic plot cuts. Then despair because new chapters come out a few times a year.

But seriously, Berserk should be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Industrial posted:

I have Netflix and just got Crunchyroll as well. Looking for a new series to start that I can stream on one of those. Here's what I've seen and what I thought.

Loved
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Elfen Lied
Kuroko's Basketball
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Chrono Crusade
Hellsing

Neutral
Gantz
Eyeshield 21
Ergo Proxy
Appleseed
Ranma
Tenchi Muyo
Evangelion
Fullmetal Alchemist
Azumanga Daioh
Trigun

Disliked (after a couple episodes)
Dragon Ball
Naruto
One Piece
Excel Saga
FLCL

Is that the original Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? Because if it isn't, you should watch Hellsing Ultimate.

• Locked thread