Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I remember the Rams picked him up and I thought, "Oh, maybe they can make something out of him." Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

PrinceRandom posted:

Wiki says he was one of two people to record a sack against Jake Long in his entire NCAA career.

Without hindsight I don't think that it was wrong for the Jets to take him.

Then you never actually paid attention to his college career

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
This article is incredible.

quote:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/17/5318594/ny-jets-vernon-gholston-unsung-hero

So what did the Jets do as a team in Gholston's tenure? Just this: the Jets in the 3 years Gholston played for them had the best 3 year record in the history of the organization as an NFL franchise. The only better 3 year stretch came in the old AFL days when Joe Namath led the Jets to a Super Bowl title.

Which was the only Jets defense in their long history as an NFL franchise to finish #1 in the league? You guessed it - the 2009 Gholston led defense. The only other Jets defense to finish #1? The 1968 AFL Jets, the legendary Super Bowl champs. The parallels between Namath and Gholston are becoming too numerous to shrug off as coincidence.

The 2010 Gholston led defense was the second highest rated defense in Jets NFL history. As soon as Gholston left the Jets the defense began to crumble, sliding to 5th, 8th and 11th over the following 3 years. Coincidence? I think not.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Roasted Donut posted:

Then you never actually paid attention to his college career

Nope I was 15 and knew nothing of football except that 2007 was awesome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I remember the quote about Gholston was that when you watched him play he was a 5th or 6th rounder, but when he took his shirt off and worked out he was a first rounder.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Yeah, I can see where people are comparing him to Clowney, except not at all and people are stupid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

swickles posted:

Yeah, I remember the quote about Gholston was that when you watched him play he was a 5th or 6th rounder, but when he took his shirt off and worked out he was a first rounder.
Did that scout have an erection when he said that

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Annoyed that the Bengals traded all their picks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

:stare:

That's a lot of vascularity...

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

And yet he still went undrafted, because time travel didn't exist back then, so I don't get your point. We're evaluating him as a draft prospect.

Is this dumb poo poo going to happen anytime a 5'6 QB wants to play in the NFL too? "RUSSELL WILSON PROVED THE HATERS WRONG, THIS KID CAN TOO"

And the evaluation of the prospect is hyper-focused on one negative aspect while ignoring the positives. What Blindsite was drawing attention to is that you can have wobble on throws, you can have weaknesses in your game, and overcome it with the right strengths and coaches who want to utilize those strengths. What I'm echoing there, that the prospect doesn't have to be eviscerated because one aspect of his game isn't ideal, remains true regardless. It's not saying "Hey goes wobbly throws don't matter at all," it's saying that you shouldn't ignore the entire picture just because there's a flaw. So while PrinceRandom is right, you don't want to see these kinds of flaws at 1st overall, to say "Kurt Warner went undrafted" to somehow illustrate that this issue is so monumental it trumps all other observations is a little ridiculous. You weren't discussing Kurt Warner as a prospect, you were drawing a false equivalency to Kurt Warner going undrafted and Teddy Bridgewater's poor pro-day.

The Russel Wilson comment is so far removed from this that I can't begin to imagine why you're connecting it, other than because you like to create stupid arguments for other people to make.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Knowshon Moreno's agent contacted Miami saying he was interested in joining the Dolphins.

The Dolphins aren't interested, and apparently are targeting a running back in the draft. Huh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Knowshon Moreno's agent contacted Miami saying he was interested in joining the Dolphins.

The Dolphins aren't interested, and apparently are targeting a running back in the draft. Huh.

Gotta save that cap space for Tannehill's big contract. :effort:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

And yet he still went undrafted, because time travel didn't exist back then, so I don't get your point. We're evaluating him as a draft prospect.

Is this dumb poo poo going to happen anytime a 5'6 QB wants to play in the NFL too? "RUSSELL WILSON PROVED THE HATERS WRONG, THIS KID CAN TOO"

I wasn't saying Bridgewater is the same prospect warner was coming out, I'm simply saying that just because a dude doesn't have a howitzer doesn't mean he can't be successful even if he's wobbly.

Nick Foles is another one who's got fairly decent release, accurate but floats long balls in the right way. I know he was a third round pick - but bridgewater strikes me as someone with the same attributes just more ready to start.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KettleWL posted:

So while PrinceRandom is right, you don't want to see these kinds of flaws at 1st overall, to say "Kurt Warner went undrafted" to somehow illustrate that this issue is so monumental it trumps all other observations is a little ridiculous. You weren't discussing Kurt Warner as a prospect, you were drawing a false equivalency to Kurt Warner going undrafted and Teddy Bridgewater's poor pro-day.
Well I admit my comments were smartass. I think my smartass trigger wouldn't have been pulled if Blindsite brought up Foles as a comparison, like he said above me, rather than a potential HOFer like Warner. I find comparing draft prospects' flaws to HOF players' flaws relatively.. worthless. It's like, yeah, if Bridgewater plays like a Hall of Famer, then he'll be fine. There are plenty of QBs with those flaws who.. don't do that, though. And Blitz is a fan of a team with a top 5 pick.. you gotta be really fuckin' sure that this kid will be able to lead your franchise, with a top 5 pick. If someone who doesn't have a powerful arm and is supposed to be a heady quarterback is having issues with confidence and erratic throws, and he's showing poor velocity, AND he's having weight issues, I would be concerned.

I also want to see more from Foles before passing judgement, because he's not going to have as good of a season in 2014 and I don't know how far he'll fall. I'm not expecting him to crater, but I'm not sure how he will land.

e: While we're talking comparisons, here's some being made about/by other players:

Rotoworld posted:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he sees "style" similarities between Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, and Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon on Moncrief's college tape.

Rotoworld posted:

Clemson WR Sammy Watkins compared his game to Torrey Smith.

Rotoworld posted:

Buffalo edge player Khalil Mack was compared by a computer projection to A.J. Hawk, Sean Weatherspoon and Aaron Curry in NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks' "Man vs. Machine" series.

Rotoworld posted:

Alabama QB AJ McCarron considers himself the best quarterback in the draft.

"Why not?" he said. McCarron structured his passing exhibition for scouts at last week's pro day in such a way as to attempt to answer their questions about him. "I've been hearing everything about arm strength and deep outs and comebacks," McCarron said. "I feel like I should silence all that. I threw it deep early in the workout and I threw it deep late. I felt like it was a real good day."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 19, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I really agree with the Watkins/Smith comparison. Watkins looks like an overall upgraded version of Smith. Better hands, smoother running but they look very similar on tape. It would be nice if people stopped talking about Donte Moncrief, he was supposed to be the Ravens back up plan at receiver in the 3rd.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Dolphins gonna take Carlos Hyde in the first lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chichevache posted:

:stare:

That's a lot of vascularity...

He had some thing where his body didn't store fat properly or something IIRC. Well, that and drugs I'm sure.

Also, the best Vernon Gholston moments are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AyWLtterFA

and that time he loving murdered Chad Henne and then stood over his corpse at the Big House

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Alabama QB AJ McCarron considers himself the best quarterback in the draft.

"Why not?" he said. McCarron structured his passing exhibition for scouts at last week's pro day in such a way as to attempt to answer their questions about him. "I've been hearing everything about arm strength and deep outs and comebacks," McCarron said. "I feel like I should silence all that. I threw it deep early in the workout and I threw it deep late. I felt like it was a real good day."

Apparently McCarron thinks he can usurp Manziel's draft spot by out-douching him

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What about his comments make him a douche? :confused:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

Dolphins gonna take Carlos Hyde in the first lol

The rumor mill is rampant that Miami is targeting a Rb in the middle rounds. If you see the auburn running back chilling at Miamis second round pick that's a no brainier

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I agree; I'm not McCarron fan, but that sort of talk is no different than any "I'm the best [X] in the draft" talk. Him talking about people hating him for being a 'winner' at the Combine was much douchier.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The rumor mill is rampant that Miami is targeting a Rb in the middle rounds. If you see the auburn running back chilling at Miamis second round pick that's a no brainier

Yeah, I could see that.

bhsman posted:

I agree; I'm not McCarron fan, but that sort of talk is no different than any "I'm the best [X] in the draft" talk. Him talking about people hating him for being a 'winner' at the Combine was much douchier.

Right, what is the guy supposed to say?

"Actually, I'm probably not that good, but I hope somebody decides to reach and draft me way higher than they should!"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I just think a consensus 3rd-4th round pick can express confidence in himself and what he can do without being like "yeah I'm the best quarterback in the draft, why not" :smug:

Con: has bad tattoos, question his decision-making at the pro level

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Rasczak posted:

I just think a consensus 3rd-4th round pick can express confidence in himself and what he can do without being like "yeah I'm the best quarterback in the draft, why not" :smug:

Con: has bad tattoos, question his decision-making at the pro level

Make fun of Kaep all you want but I think he's done ok

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Make fun of Kaep all you want but I think he's done ok

Pro: Kaepernick has decent-to-good tattoos, exhibits good decision making in the chair that I think can translate to the field

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It shocks me that every draft prospect doesn't reflexively spit out "I-am-working-really-hard-and-will-do-everything-I-can-to-make-my-team-better-now-please-don't-quote-me" whenever a reporter exists in the same room as them.

Agents have to be constantly on these 20 somethings.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Since the Steve Smith signing mocks have been having the Ravens jump on Haha Clinton-Dix. The only Bama game I watched last year was Mike Evans beating their secondary to death so what can be reasonably expected from Dix as a player.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Industrial posted:

6'6 266 lbs
Bench Press - 37
Vertical Jump - 41"
Broad Jump - 10.5'
40 Yard Dash - 4.56
10 Yard Split - 1.53
20 Yard Shuffle - 4.41
3 Cone Drill - 7.12

Guess the prospect?

I knew someone would bring up Gholston. He was a complete workout warrior and the only thing he did on defense was dip a shoulder and run. It was his only move. That's why he beat Jake Long in college, because if you go to the well enough eventually you're gonna find water.

Clowney and Mario are both complete DEs. People knock Clowney for a lack of 'moves' but that's bullshit nonsense.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Since the Steve Smith signing mocks have been having the Ravens jump on Haha Clinton-Dix. The only Bama game I watched last year was Mike Evans beating their secondary to death so what can be reasonably expected from Dix as a player.

Good luck beating St. Louis and Buffalo and whoever else trades up for him.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
It's still possible we jump on a lineman in the 1st or the BPA offensive skill player. (Although I want Dix) (lol)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Without trading back a lineman in the first would be a bad choice. Spending so early on an RT when quality at the position can be found later would really bother me. Robinson and Matthews will definitely be gone, Martin has question marks as a tackle, might be better served at guard, and Lewan is a really lovely guy.

Ebron doesn't make sense to me when we just re-signed a TE that fills the "essentially a WR" role. Dix could make sense and would almost mandate buying a new jersey but I'm always skeptical of Bama guys, Saban just beats the poo poo out of them in college. I was thinking that maybe if he fell Dennard would be a good pick up to put on the opposite side of Jimmy Smith while Webb took care of the slot, then just find a mediocre FS somewhere and the secondary should still be massively improved.

I really like Marquise Lee and still want him despite acquiring Steve Smith. Bewbies was dead on with his Lee comparison, the guy looks like Tory Holt reborn.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ebron doesn't make sense to me when we just re-signed a TE that fills the "essentially a WR" role.

Having a couple of those guys isn't really a bad thing if your OC has any flexibility at all, and gets better the better both of them are. I'm not saying you should pick Ebron but it doesn't seem as simple as 'already got one of those, don't need him' to me.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What I mean is that I would prefer a solid blocking TE who could slip out for passes and be a red zone threat like ASJ or Troy Niklas. With Ebron and Pitta I would be unsure about running the ball out of two TE sets. I just prefer the versatility of that a better blocker would bring and Ebron doesn't strike me as such a better option than others that he would be worth 17.

Maybe if we didn't have Pitta but we do.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rasczak posted:

Pro: Kaepernick has decent-to-good tattoos, exhibits good decision making in the chair that I think can translate to the field

No. No he does not. No one who has loving paragraphs of cursive script has good tattoos. Kap may have one or two hidden somewhere that are acceptable, but he ruined prime real estate with that dumb paragraph.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If we're judging quarterbacks by tattoos then AJ McCarron may very well be the best quarterback in the draft.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Watkins comparing himself to Torrey Smith seems like a major undersell. I see him as Percy Harvin without the migraines.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What I mean is that I would prefer a solid blocking TE who could slip out for passes and be a red zone threat like ASJ or Troy Niklas. With Ebron and Pitta I would be unsure about running the ball out of two TE sets. I just prefer the versatility of that a better blocker would bring and Ebron doesn't strike me as such a better option than others that he would be worth 17.

Maybe if we didn't have Pitta but we do.

I would also prefer a solid blocking TE. I dislike the trend of tweener TEs who are really WRs lining up in the slot constantly. I feel like it takes away pass protection from your QB and that a 6'4 230+ lbs guy is much more likely to block a DE than your 5'10 200 lbs RB. But, I'm a Giants fan and that's our teams history. Even Shockey was pulled in and made a blocking TE, and that dude should have been an all world slot TE.

Ebron just seems like a fat WR to me.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
#1 on my list of red flags is your own name tattooed on you. Never have a dude who does that poo poo.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Chichevache posted:

No. No he does not. No one who has loving paragraphs of cursive script has good tattoos. Kap may have one or two hidden somewhere that are acceptable, but he ruined prime real estate with that dumb paragraph.

Kaep's at least appear to be competently done! Just look at this poo poo

Bama Boy indeed, AJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Parmesan Basil posted:

#1 on my list of red flags is your own name tattooed on you. Never have a dude who does that poo poo.

I'm with you on principle, but I also really like Mike Evans.

• Locked thread