Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

mynnna posted:

I'm finding that the non-existence of wedge-tiles is the bane of this build I'm working on, considering all the angles and thus wedges that go into it, and I'm awfully hard pressed to come up with a way to cover up the studs that doesn't look awful. :( Anyone have suggestions or seen good techniques for doing this? I thought about flipping slopes on their side, but unfortunately the angle I need is a little over 10 degrees (a bit steeper than the 12x3 wedges) and the only slope close to that isn't suitable for what I'm trying to do at all...

Came up with a solution I think I like; top panel has partial implementation. Isn't perfect and the resulting gaps are still odd, but it's better than originally planned.

Still wish wedge tiles were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

mynnna posted:

Came up with a solution I think I like; top panel has partial implementation. Isn't perfect and the resulting gaps are still odd, but it's better than originally planned.

Still wish wedge tiles were a thing.

You could always try to make that angle go the other way. Use the opposite wedge plates and match them against the upper angled segment, then tuck the side panel and its untile-able bits inside the lip of the lower, straight segment.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah I considered that and even built up the internal framing to make that work (I use most of what's already there and just add these guys), but the downside is it winds up giving me a shelf instead of what is supposed to be a sharp corner (ref: http://i.imgur.com/ihI2SDC.jpg). I'm probably going to remove a tile or two of thickness from my internal supports to pull the structure inward and then SNOT my way to a smooth side, and I could cap it with those 18 degree wedges. Still'd have a gap but it'd be pretty minimal at that point.

Suddenly wondering why I didn't do that for the top panel now. :v:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone who is inspired by the Mega Core Magnetizer has good taste. :smug:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ice planet or M-Tron colors > all

That's pretty awesome though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look how wrong you are, because the neon green Blacktron 2 is the best in that bunch. :colbert:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xzzy posted:

Look how wrong you are, because the neon green Blacktron 2 is the best in that bunch. :colbert:

I actually just noticed the classic space set in the corner, as my eye was drawn to the ridiculous Ice planet one first. This picture is awesome.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Actually, I agree with this. I don't like the Ice Planet colors that much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news I'm still trying to come up with clever ways of using the new 45 degree angle part and this disaster is what I ended up with:

This might fall apart if you look at it wrong. But I was determined to build around part 15706 and this is where it ended up. by mrxzzy, on Flickr

I think there's some neat ideas in there but the build is so rickety that I only took a picture for future reference.. I really like the lines that the slopes make over the wedges.

For the engine intakes I also stole the stud inversion idea that showed up on Benny's spaceship. :v:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I came across a cool way to display the collectable minifigs over on the Eurobricks forum and decided to give it a go building one myself.

$10 container from the container store and a crap load of bricks. The colors even correspond to the series.

There 4 series total there and I made a separate one for the Movie line.

I was storing each series in these containers but they just took up to much room.

Anyone interested in any of those Lego official containers?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

mattfl posted:

So I came across a cool way to display the collectable minifigs over on the Eurobricks forum and decided to give it a go building one myself.

$10 container from the container store and a crap load of bricks. The colors even correspond to the series.

There 4 series total there and I made a separate one for the Movie line.

I was storing each series in these containers but they just took up to much room.

Anyone interested in any of those Lego official containers?

How much?

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
That looks cool, can you link which container you got from the Container Store? I might have to do that with my movie minifigures.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ninja Bob posted:

That looks cool, can you link which container you got from the Container Store? I might have to do that with my movie minifigures.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display/cubesCases?productId=10022884&N=233

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

obi_ant posted:

How much?

How many do you want? Looks like they sell new on amazon for $30. I'd do $20/piece + some shipping.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hah, first time noticing after seeing that picture years ago is that most of the vehicles are missing their middle wheels. Guess he ran out of money or supply. :)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Looks like LEGO liked my cover letter, because I got a call from them this morning asking me to come by the local store for an interview. While I'm there I want to buy my sister a Uni-kitty, do they carry those at the store in some sort of individual packaging, a keychain maybe?

E: just saw the online store has the keychain light, hopefully there will be one in stock there; it's odd to me that those keychains aren't quite minifigs, but rather they're blown up to fit the LED, etc?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 18, 2014

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Pyroclastic posted:

Hah, first time noticing after seeing that picture years ago is that most of the vehicles are missing their middle wheels. Guess he ran out of money or supply. :)

There are only so many MCMs/Crater Cruisers in the world.

Come to think of it, the absence of both Unitron and Spyrius versions is troubling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tanith posted:

Those wheels appeared on the Spy Trak too. Bricklink says they showed up in a total of six sets in black.

Unfortunately I lost mine a long time ago.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Looks like LEGO liked my cover letter, because I got a call from them this morning asking me to come by the local store for an interview. While I'm there I want to buy my sister a Uni-kitty, do they carry those at the store in some sort of individual packaging, a keychain maybe?

E: just saw the online store has the keychain light, hopefully there will be one in stock there; it's odd to me that those keychains aren't quite minifigs, but rather they're blown up to fit the LED, etc?

I'm not sure if your store's stock will be any different from mine, but we have yet to receive any Unikitty keychain lights. All we've received so far is standard Emmet, Bad Cop, and Wyldstyle keychains. You should probably order it from the website.

Also, good luck with your interview :D

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

xzzy posted:

Blacktron: Future Generation is the best generation.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tanith posted:

Come to think of it, the absence of both Unitron and Spyrius versions is troubling.

I think that's mostly for want of colors. Even though Spyrius was basically M-Tron with trans blue instead of trans green....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

Woah easy there buddy, let's not say things we'll all regret later.

OG Blacktron is best tron. But out of those 7 builds the neon green just happens to be the tidiest of the bunch.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

If Lego did a new Blacktron line, they would literally swoosh off the shelves

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Is there anything similar to the thing where you could make a set with Lego Digital Designer and they'd mail you the pieces with a box and instructions and everything? I always thought that was REALLY COOL but I never had the money. And well. I still don't. But I'm kinda bummed to find out that that was discontinued. Is there anything at all similar to that going on? I'm out of the loop but the Lego Movie has me thinking about Legos again.

One of my bucket list items is to buy one of those huge $150+ Lego sets. It's something I always wanted to do as a kid.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

This man speaks the truth. Maybe I just wasn't born in time, but 1990-96 was the best era for Lego space. Robo-Force, Insectoids, Mars Mission, and this loving piece, were the primairy forces driving me into my darkages.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just want to share my creation and see if it's sell-able, about a year ago I decided to build my own Robie House. I simply could not justify spending $200 on 1x2 plates and other "common" pieces. I thought, surely I have a couple hundred red 1x2 plates floating around my collection, I searched for days and found about 50. That wasn't going to deter me, I foolishly convinced myself that I could find all the necessary pieces on Bricklink for close to or less than $200. :lol: Lets just say about halfway through multiple orders, I decided "cost be damned, I will slowly add to this over the next few months so that the cost will be negligible." Well, I'm pretty sure it took less than two weeks later that I had all my Bricklink orders on the way, and thank god this thing was spread out over multiple orders. . . It's been long enough those orders are no longer on my bricklink account and as such I have no way to actually calculate how much I paid for this thing (hint: more than $200).

Here is my red version of Robie House, with brown instead of black garage doors and no planters because I forgot to order them. As it it, every time I look at this model my brain screams "what the hell where you thinking?" I want to enjoy this set, I just don't think that will ever be possible.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
If you wanted a bulk amount of a certain part directly from LEGO, how many would you have to buy before getting some sort of discount?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

General Specific posted:

If you wanted a bulk amount of a certain part directly from LEGO, how many would you have to buy before getting some sort of discount?

Simply put, you can not get a discount on bulk bricks. You can use pick a brick to order up to 999 of a single brick, but the price per piece is often 15 to 20 cents each or higher.

But if you are a member of a LUG and meet certain criteria you can use LUGbulk. You have to have at least 10 members, a LUG website, create 2 public displays each year, and meet many other criteria. You also have to agree not to sell any bricks you purchase this way.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

nerdbot posted:

Is there anything similar to the thing where you could make a set with Lego Digital Designer and they'd mail you the pieces with a box and instructions and everything? I always thought that was REALLY COOL but I never had the money. And well. I still don't. But I'm kinda bummed to find out that that was discontinued. Is there anything at all similar to that going on? I'm out of the loop but the Lego Movie has me thinking about Legos again.

One of my bucket list items is to buy one of those huge $150+ Lego sets. It's something I always wanted to do as a kid.

You could add all the parts you need into rebrickable, and then sort by the sets which will have the most of those parts

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

General Specific posted:

Get friendly with some Lego store employees. They may be able to sell you a box of PAB bricks for like $75, but they don't have control over what they get sent for PAB. If it's a common smallish PAB brick, it'll be the cheapest you'll ever be able to get them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DrChud posted:

If Lego did a new Blacktron line, they would literally swoosh off the shelves

I dunno, the new Space Police just looked stupid to me, like regular cops but with LASERS and ALIENS SO ZANY. Maybe I'm old.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I liked some of the alien stuff. Obviously the limo was awesome:

And I also really liked the truck with the hidden laser:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There was a while there where the Lunar Limo was the unofficial Offical Legoon set. I know I'm never taking mine apart. :getin:

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Brick Daddy can hold any minifig accessory and still look like a boss.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

rickiep00h posted:

There was a while there where the Lunar Limo was the unofficial Offical Legoon set. I know I'm never taking mine apart. :getin:

I'm pretty sure that Lunar Limo and Medieval Market Village were the official Legoon sets. The Lex Luthor robot and Alien Conquest walker came close for a while as well. I'm not really sure that we have a current replacement, since Metalbeard's ship is super expensive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FadingChord posted:

I'm pretty sure that Lunar Limo and Medieval Market Village were the official Legoon sets. The Lex Luthor robot and Alien Conquest walker came close for a while as well. I'm not really sure that we have a current replacement, since Metalbeard's ship is super expensive.

Benny's SPACESHIP! might be it when it comes out.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

The_Doctor posted:

Benny's SPACESHIP! might be it when it comes out.

If we could still get title changes, it would quickly change to LEGO Megathread: Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!!! if it hadn't already.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007
Legoon???

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A portmanteau of Lego and Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

This has been stated before but Legoon is just a terrible word. It's bad enough you're trying to combine the words "LEGO" and "goon" improperly, but even worse: it comes out looking like "le goon."

Something AFOL, please.

Fake edit: also applying to LEGO stores kicks rear end, I got to play with LEGO for the first time in years as a way to "break the ice" before a group meeting. Of course, we all know its really a test of my IQ :thumbsup:

...or AQ :ohdear:

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 20, 2014