Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played X-2. In what way are you penalized for skipping cutscenes? It sounds like a loving dumb idea, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played X-2. In what way are you penalized for skipping cutscenes? It sounds like a loving dumb idea, regardless.

100% Completion in X-2 mysteriously requires you to watch every single cutscene, even though it never tells you so.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Are you only penalized for skipping cutscenes? What if you press X during dialogue to skip it?

Except for the old exposition guy, you're fine. But Maechean or whatever his name is won't show you his entire dialogue if you press x during it, which means you don't gets the points for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright good, I pressed X when Shinra was talking on accident and was worried. Does the International Version add anything to the percentage or can I just a follow an OG FFX-2 100% guide and be fine with that?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You also get overflow percentage in New Game Plus since you start with credit for everything you've already done. Siding with the Youth League or New Yevon have two completely separate completion trackers that both give an okay amount of completion, but you can get 100% only having sided with one. Via Infinito also gives something like a bonus 1% per boss and it's all extra credit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was going to say "it isn't worth the stress" but I forgot achievements.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The ending is worse with 100% than without

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're enough of a masochist to 100% X-2 I really don't see why "I have to watch cutscenes" is your biggest complaint.

Seriously gently caress 100%-ing that game. Even with a guide.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

fronz posted:

It's more that I'd rather see everything in the game and I can still get the normal ending with 100%, the true ending is only triggered by you whistling back in a specific scene. Like I played the game a ton after I finished playing X when I was younger, but I don't think I saw everything AND I NEVER BEAT SHINRA, that little rear end in a top hat.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

What the gently caress in the remixed Besaid Island theme they removed the piano. Other than that it looks spiffy.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

You also get overflow percentage in New Game Plus since you start with credit for everything you've already done. Siding with the Youth League or New Yevon have two completely separate completion trackers that both give an okay amount of completion, but you can get 100% only having sided with one. Via Infinito also gives something like a bonus 1% per boss and it's all extra credit.

Actually, if you want to 100% in a single playthrough, you must side with the Youth League. New Yevon will leave you with 98.?%. The Via Infinito is mandatory for getting 100% I believe, but you only need to make it to floor 40 to get the Crimson Sphere there. Beyond that, it doesn't give any bonus competition.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

fronz posted:

It's even better if you don't meet the requirements for the good ending at all (let alone 100%). The endings are basically:

1. Bad ending: gently caress up during final boss battles, game over afterward
2. Regular ending: all the poo poo that always happens no matter what

Important variations during the whistling:
- Sad ending: don't meet requirements for good ending, whistle
- Good ending trigger: meet requirements for good ending, whistle and say yes
- Boring ending: don't whistle or meet requirements for good ending, whistle and say no

3. Good ending: after regular ending, if you triggered it (met requirements, plus whistled and said yes earlier in regular ending)
4. Perfect ending: after good ending, if you triggered good ending and had 100%

The scene variation for what I call the "sad ending" is actually really thematically appropriate and touching, I felt. It's unfortunate that a semi-typical completionist playthrough, that qualifies for the good ending (even if the player doesn't opt into it during the regular ending), is unable to see that scene. It'd be nice if you also got it by qualifying for the good ending but opting out of it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The White Dragon posted:

Via Infinito also gives something like a bonus 1% per boss and it's all extra credit.

Welp.

I finished the game with 99.7% or something on a single run but couldn't figure out what is missed or be arsed to go back through a NG+ to fill in so never got the perfect ending.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Welp.

I finished the game with 99.7% or something on a single run but couldn't figure out what is missed or be arsed to go back through a NG+ to fill in so never got the perfect ending.

I followed a guide and ended up with 99.9%. said gently caress it and never looked back.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

morallyobjected posted:

I followed a guide and ended up with 99.9%. said gently caress it and never looked back.

Haha, I did the same thing. Sat there with a guide open the entire time, and still only got 99% to display at the end. Figured I must've somehow missed like one of those scenes in the Chapter 4 spheres or something.

Those are, by far, the worst part about trying to 100% X-2. Not the cutscene skip thing, not interrupting Maechen, not anything else. Those loving spheres.

e; Thinking back on it, said guide also said that sometimes they also just flatout don't give you your percent at random. If you're playing the PAL version. Dunno what's up with that, and it sounds ridiculously stupid that that could even be a thing. I might be misremembering it, though, and it looks like it's not up on GameFAQs somehow any more either.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's the word on the redone music? Is it any good? Will there be a redone OST?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

What's the word on the redone music? Is it any good? Will there be a redone OST?

Some of the songs are better, others are worse, an OST is announced.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I seriously can't believe they didn't add a cutscene skip.

It was probably the very last thing on their list. They ran out of time because they wanted to get Seymour's chest hair just right.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

You can listen to the whole thing ripped on youtube too. Timcodes for each track are in the video description and links to downloading the whole thing in MP3 if you want.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

You can pin lazy poo poo like the wax-dummy character models and lack of cutscene skip on Virtuos Games, since it was outsourced to them by Square.

It's becoming awkwardly common for SE to outsource their games to other companies, partially or entirely. It was what led to China's infamously bad translation of FFXIV vanilla, which among other errors, referred to Chocobos as "Horsebirds".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sign me up as another guy who followed a guide every step of the way through X-2 yet still couldn't get 100%. I think 100% Completion in this game is an elaborate internet myth.

Also why would anyone want to skip Maechen? The guy has the best voice. I'd be all for Maechen getting the Gilgamesh treatment but instead of fighting in every universe he goes from game to game expositioning his little heart out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I also tried following a guide that insisted it had to be followed step-by-step to get 100% in one run. Nevertheless, some of those stupid sphere-network scenes didn't happen. It also expected me to go into and clear the Via Infinito as soon as it was available. The boss at the bottom just kicked my rear end so I eventually gave up and never finished the game. Oh well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's me. I'm the crazy person who got 100%. To this day I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Excels posted:

You can pin lazy poo poo like the wax-dummy character models and lack of cutscene skip on Virtuos Games, since it was outsourced to them by Square.

It's becoming awkwardly common for SE to outsource their games to other companies, partially or entirely. It was what led to China's infamously bad translation of FFXIV vanilla, which among other errors, referred to Chocobos as "Horsebirds".

They have a bad habit of outsourcing remakes, like FF3 DS, but isn't it common for HD ports to be worked on by a side company? I don't think most of the PS2 Greatest Hits HD ports were redone by their companies, at least. I mean, the companies that Square uses for ports are often lackluster, but that's partly Square's fault for letting stuff like War of the Lion's slowdown out of the gate, IMO.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

They have a bad habit of outsourcing remakes, like FF3 DS, but isn't it common for HD ports to be worked on by a side company? I don't think most of the PS2 Greatest Hits HD ports were redone by their companies, at least.

As an example, R&C HD was done by Idle Minds, who were told specifically by Sony to change as little as possible. So that was probably a common rule of thumb for Sony when they had all those remakes done.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The problem is not that they outsource the remakes, but that they seem to outsource them to the lowest bidder, resulting in palpable quality issues.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bongo Bill posted:

The problem is not that they outsource the remakes, but that they seem to outsource them to the lowest bidder, resulting in palpable quality issues.

Don't forget that they keep outsourcing to the same people after they do a bad job the first time.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Yoichi Wada was the worst thing to happen to Square Enix. He knew it, everyone knew it, yet after every gently caress-up accredited to his meddling, he would just go "whoops" and refuse to resign. I'm glad he finally quit. The damage was already done, though.

And speaking of his failures, FFXIV was a real carnival of bad decisions behind-the-scenes. I remember a big one was adding a stat to player profiles that showed you how many hours the person had played. Well pretty soon people found out that all the "glowing reviews" were by people who hadn't even clocked in more than an hour of the game; then they discovered the artist who was drawing the FFXIV manga had played a sparse two hours total. The artist apparently felt so bad about misleading people that they actually clocked in a bunch more hours afterward.

Excels fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 19, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The only saving of x-2 having stupid mandatory cutscenes for 100% is that the perfect ending adds nothing to the good one so just don't half rear end and you're ok.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I've been listening to the remastered OST and I guess some of it sounds okay, but... what in the gently caress is with their instrumentation? It's completely hosed! They go for realistic when they should go for electronic and vice versa, it's bombastic where it should be simplistic, they gut countermelodies and basslines left and right, a bunch of important instruments in a bunch of tracks are too drat quiet and a bunch of tracks seem to just build up into noise that just drowns out the music!

Compare, the track "Seymour's Ambition". Before and After for a study in everything wrong with this remaster.

Their version of Auron's Theme is the closest I've found to a serviceable remaster, although the tone of it is completely wrong, I don't know what they were thinking with amping up the percussion track like that, and by the end it seems to just collapse into noise.

*sigh*

There's gotta be something in here I like.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Is it just me or does FFXHD not have surround sound audio?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, I found something I like; the remaster of People of the North Pole/Servants of the Mountain.

Before/After

This may be damning with faint praise, but; they didn't gently caress with it too much. They kept one instrument carrying the main melody with sensibly balanced accompaniment throughout, then after the breakdown they go around the, well, the round bringing in one new element at a time and they all compliment eachother and it works. They actually managed to out-do the original at being all haunting and sombre and poo poo.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Calling the soundtrack a remaster was a mistake. The new music shares some elements from X's original soundtrack, and everything has the same name, but it isn't exactly what I'd call a remaster. Not that there's anything wrong with new music, they should just identify it as new music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When I first heard the HD OST was on YouTube, I looked for one song and one song only to compare.

Seyour Battle
Original vs. HDRemaster

"Seymour Battle" is the jewel in the crown of X's soundtrack. It is so different and yet so goddam good that it is unforgettable. I'm not sure if the remix is bad or if it's just that no new arrangement can rival the original (looking at you, The Black Mages) but I did not care for it at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So is there any utility in the International version sphere board besides being able to branch out sooner? Will I get quicker access to the big attacks as well or are those pretty well gated too?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It blows my mind how badly SE screwed up X HD's soundtrack after playing through Kingdom Hearts HD. Those orchestrated pieces... man, that was good. Why couldn't they just do that?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because it costs money.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
The actual graphics for FFX HD are really great though. I never realized how blurry a lot of the textures were in the original. I can actually see what the inside of houses have on the walls and poo poo. :allears:

I dunno, I'm probably a FFX apologist though, it's always been my favorite of the franchise.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

FFX apologist

I would say I am a fan of FFX but an FFVIII apologist. Either way I'm really looking forward to the remake, got mine pre ordered for friday. I will probably play them in the wrong order as I remember the important parts of FFX fairly well despite playing it a decade or so ago but never got to finish X-2 when it came out.

Im pretty excited about the monster pokemon minigame theyve added to X-2 but kind of worried about the music since some people don't seem happy with it. Hopefully it wont be such a problem for me because I havent played the originals since they first came out and unless the new music is outright bad I won't notice it not being quite as good as the original. I really hope it isnt just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I love the game too, and I've always liked its setting a lot, probably one of my favorite settings (I still don't like the steampunk setting most of the series has).

Something that bothers me with the HD port though is the weird faces. Sure, the old textures were fuzzy and low-res, but I dunno, something seems wrong with the faces in this version. They don't seem anywhere near as expressive as they used to be, and things like subtle frowns or grins are straight and stony-faced now.

Of course, I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me and I'm remembering things that weren't there.