Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It is much more fun in person. And yeah, asking at the local games shop if there are any groups looking for people, or checking meetup.org or other sites are your best bets if you don't know anyone who plays already. Alternately, you can try and get your existing friends to give it a try. Might be best to ease into it there, though, starting with a more 'normal' game like poker, risk, or settlers of catan (a reach, but for some reason catan seems to be somewhat popular among people who wouldn't otherwise play any sort of tabletop game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've never done any sort of table-top gaming before, but want to try it. None of my friends do it. Would it be best to check out a local hobby store, or just look around online for a group? I know that you can do it online, but is it as fun as a real-life meetup?

I'm pretty sure there's a minor sub forum devoted to tabletop gaming. I'd bet you could get more information, as well as a list of beginner-friendly games, by asking there.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've never done any sort of table-top gaming before, but want to try it. None of my friends do it. Would it be best to check out a local hobby store, or just look around online for a group? I know that you can do it online, but is it as fun as a real-life meetup?

Come ask questions in Board Game thread: If you do this you'll end up with, like, 13 crack pipes. You may find a group of goons willing to let you play. There are also a few people who run some play by forums games and there are also a lot of online/app version of games you can try out first.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

stubblyhead posted:

I think it's more to do with how you cook them than how you peel them. Old eggs will supposedly also make for easier to peel hard boiled eggs.

Yes it absolutely has to do with the age of the eggs. Store-bought eggs peel really easily. We have chickens and it's pretty much impossible to peel their eggs without ripping them to shreds. The reason is because store eggs are usually already a couple weeks old by the time they get to the shelf, and the membrane inside has dried out and separated from the shell.

The way I peel eggs that usually has good results is to cool the eggs completely (just leave them submerged in cold water for 5 minutes or so) after boiling. Then tap them all over the counter so the shell is broken into a million tiny pieces, and the whole shell will slide off. Or you can drain the water out of the pot and roll them all around in the pot so they smash against each other, then peel them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

What is the story behind that thread title?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Caufman posted:

What is the story behind that thread title?

There is a pretty decent game called Love Letter that has 13 little red cubes for counters. Some people were discussing using little red glass roses, that you can get at the gas station, as replacements. They are bought by crack heads usually because the tubes they come in are used for crack pipes.

edit: changed link for roses to article on them being crack pipes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Not really an excel guy but I have 2 excel sheets each with just one column of serial #s.

Can I somehow automate or make easy, deleting from sheet one, any serial that also exists in sheet 2?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You could make cell for the serial number to be deleted then make a macro that
1) finds and replaces the serial with a certain string, like "<To be deleted>"
2) sorts both lists by serial so "<To be deleted>" will always be the first row
3) delete the first row of both lists
4) resort the list however it normally should be

There might be a more elegant way, but you should be able to work something like this up in less than 30 mins using the record macro function.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Not really an excel guy but I have 2 excel sheets each with just one column of serial #s.

Can I somehow automate or make easy, deleting from sheet one, any serial that also exists in sheet 2?

I'd do it like this, because I'm lazy and gently caress making a macro.

Assuming serial numbers on sheet1 from a2:a500 and on sheet2 from a2:a500:
1) in cell B2 on sheet1 use "=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$500,0))
2) double click right corner of B2 to fill column B with same.
3) filter both columns on sheet1 by value==TRUE in column B.
4) delete all resulting entries by hand.
5) clear filter on column B, remove column B if desired.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Yes it absolutely has to do with the age of the eggs. Store-bought eggs peel really easily. We have chickens and it's pretty much impossible to peel their eggs without ripping them to shreds. The reason is because store eggs are usually already a couple weeks old by the time they get to the shelf, and the membrane inside has dried out and separated from the shell.

The way I peel eggs that usually has good results is to cool the eggs completely (just leave them submerged in cold water for 5 minutes or so) after boiling. Then tap them all over the counter so the shell is broken into a million tiny pieces, and the whole shell will slide off. Or you can drain the water out of the pot and roll them all around in the pot so they smash against each other, then peel them.

Agreeing with this and posting to add, you can crack the top and bottom of an egg and take off a tiny piece of shell from each and then blow on either end and it should either loosen everything up really well or ideally blow the entire shell off in one piece. It's kind of a party trick thing when it works but actually useful. You might go a little Dizzy Gillespie in the process though.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Thanks excel guys. Today's thing had around 600 rows between both sheets combined and I gave up on figuring it out so I just copy/pasted them together then sorted and was easily able to see where 2 of the same # were on top of each other and then noted that down on paper then manually deleted them from sheet 1, there were only 14 deletes.

Your replies will come in real handy when I'm doing the same next week with lots longer sheets.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Thanks excel guys. Today's thing had around 600 rows between both sheets combined and I gave up on figuring it out so I just copy/pasted them together then sorted and was easily able to see where 2 of the same # were on top of each other and then noted that down on paper then manually deleted them from sheet 1, there were only 14 deletes.

Your replies will come in real handy when I'm doing the same next week with lots longer sheets.

If your data has the same format (for example, all the serial numbers consist of numbers without any special characters or letters), and you ultimately just want a unique list of serial numbers and are okay with that being contained in one column, you can simply copy/paste one set onto the end of the other set and use excel's remove duplicates utility.

This may also work for strings (letters, numbers and/or special characters) but I can't say for sure.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I saw remove duplicates but I need to know which ones its removing. I need to maintain two lists and remove anything from #1 that exists in #2. #2 will not be changed. I couldn't see what duplicates it was removing bit it told me it found 14 just like I did. I may have to play around with that again.

Its excel 2010 BTW. Google said 2013 might do just exactly what I want, couldn't find anything about 2010.

Edit these are alphanumeric and it found the dupes BTW, just didn't show me what they were.

Edit again wonder if I could just save everything as 2 maybe 1 .txt file and find/list dupes with grep somehow. Used to use grep for all sorta awesome poo poo back in the day

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2014

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
What's a good free application for converting old M4P files from iTunes into MP3s?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero Star posted:

What's a good free application for converting old M4P files from iTunes into MP3s?

You can burn them to a rewriteable CD in iTunes and then import that CD as MP3s. Then erase the CD-RW and burn and re-rip the next set.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zero Star posted:

iTunes.

Go iTunes prefs>General - at the bottom is 'Import Settings' - change the 'Import Using' to whatever mp3 setting you want - then select a tune in iTunes and from the 'Advanced' option in the menu bar select 'Create MP3 version'.

This will create a .mp3 version and the original .mp4 will still be there.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What are some towns/cities/CDP/unincorporated areas owned or partially-owned and run by corporations? I already got Universal City, CA and Celebration, FL. Doesn't have to just be in America.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Castaway Cay is a whole island in the Bahamas owned by Disney. Snorkeling in clear-as-poo poo ocean in february = p-dope.

edit: it's got a possible old drug-runner unused runway you can ride rental bikes on too which is actual dope.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What are some towns/cities/CDP/unincorporated areas owned or partially-owned and run by corporations? I already got Universal City, CA and Celebration, FL. Doesn't have to just be in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Valley,_New_Jersey

Pine Valley's area consists 97.7% of the Pine Valley Golf Club and the remainder of the area is the homes of the owners and employees of the golf club. It's an incorporated town, created by the founders of the golf club due to wanting to sell alcohol on the course (the town it was split from at that time did not allow alcohol sales).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Once a month, I run a board meeting with 12 people around a table. We do this from various class-b office conference rooms, seldom the same one twice (we rotate between different board member's office with various phone setups). Invariably, someone can't come and needs to dial in. We are left with using a cell phone sitting in the middle of the table, or a consumer speakerphone on a POTS line. Is there some kind of omnidirectional microphone that I can plug into my laptop to pickup a room full of speakers? I don't need this to be broadcast on C-Span, just good enough for someone on Skype or somesuch to hear, without having to hand the microphone around (which is rather disruptive).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

City of Industry, California - 80,000 jobs, 219 residents.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

photomikey posted:

Once a month, I run a board meeting with 12 people around a table. We do this from various class-b office conference rooms, seldom the same one twice (we rotate between different board member's office with various phone setups). Invariably, someone can't come and needs to dial in. We are left with using a cell phone sitting in the middle of the table, or a consumer speakerphone on a POTS line. Is there some kind of omnidirectional microphone that I can plug into my laptop to pickup a room full of speakers? I don't need this to be broadcast on C-Span, just good enough for someone on Skype or somesuch to hear, without having to hand the microphone around (which is rather disruptive).
They make phones specifically for conference calls. They look like triangular spaceships and you could probably pick one up for around $200.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

TheLastManStanding posted:

They make phones specifically for conference calls. They look like triangular spaceships and you could probably pick one up for around $200.
This thing rates well and plugs into my computer (and saves me $125).

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-AC404-USB-Conference-Microphone/dp/B001TGTDFM

Eh?

Sithicus
Nov 10, 2011
I am attempting to fix a small AC motor of the type EM3015 (it is 230V). It is shaded pole type and phase controlled. There is a non variable 150V on the motor if the device is switched on. Letting it stay on will likely result in rapid overheating.

Because the circuit is partially fried and there is no schematic available, I have no idea how to do this. The motor itself is probably OK. Googling anything involving electromotor control only yields ridiculously priced finished products. The only alternative is throwing the motor out and scrapping a cheap drill (which is not a pretty solution because these involve transforming to DC).

The components in the circuit are cheap enough, however, and there aren´t many of them. Is there any link that could at least help me understand how to do phase controlling or am I simply outside my league of screwing with unhealthy voltage?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I have an HTC OneX, and I cannot figure out how to stop push notifications for any new game I download. Most new games don't have a notification toggle in options anymore, android doesn't have a global notifications stop, and google play doesn't seem to either.

The only guide I've found says to go into apps-manage apps-info and deselect notifications for each app, but that option isn't even there. Just uninstall, clear cache, etc....ahhh why is this so hard?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The computers at the primary school I went to had a screensaver that was just like this, except low-res black-and-white graphics and also there were flaming hoops or something as well as buses and the stuntman would get picked up by an ambulance when he crashed. Needless to say, it was awesome. I tried searching YouTube to see if anyone had uploaded it, but didn't find it. Does anyone know what it was called or where I might find a video of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

photomikey posted:

This thing rates well and plugs into my computer (and saves me $125).

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-AC404-USB-Conference-Microphone/dp/B001TGTDFM

Eh?

What exactly are you going to plug that into? Certainly not a phone.

The right way to make this happen is a Polycom with bluetooth. You just plug it into a wall outlet and pair it to a cell phone.

There is a reason you'll rarely see anything other than some model of polycom on conference room tables. It's because they just work and have cornered the market on conference phones because they got it right first.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How can I get the gizmos that power neon lights for less than 145 (!) bucks? The bit that goes between the wall socket an the light.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

The computers at the primary school I went to had a screensaver that was just like this, except low-res black-and-white graphics and also there were flaming hoops or something as well as buses and the stuntman would get picked up by an ambulance when he crashed. Needless to say, it was awesome. I tried searching YouTube to see if anyone had uploaded it, but didn't find it. Does anyone know what it was called or where I might find a video of it?

Sounds like an old After Dark module called Daredevil Dan. The only video I can find with a quick google search is a fraction of a second of it, about 37 seconds into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1w1SQ3ezh8

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

How can I get the gizmos that power neon lights for less than 145 (!) bucks? The bit that goes between the wall socket an the light.

They seem to go for around $100 or less like here: http://www.amazon.com/Pow-r-pak-Power-Supply-Style-Transformer/dp/B006SR9078

But that might well be too low voltage or current to run the sign you're trying to fix.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

Sounds like an old After Dark module called Daredevil Dan.

Yes, that is exactly the one! Except I think it must have been an earlier version than the one in that video. Either that or I'm remembering it wrong.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Install Windows posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Valley,_New_Jersey

Pine Valley's area consists 97.7% of the Pine Valley Golf Club and the remainder of the area is the homes of the owners and employees of the golf club. It's an incorporated town, created by the founders of the golf club due to wanting to sell alcohol on the course (the town it was split from at that time did not allow alcohol sales).

Awesome! Exactly what I'm looking for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Awesome! Exactly what I'm looking for.

Hmm, actually I misspoke in part. Pine Valley was split for just the golf course because the town it was in didn't allow any sports on Sundays.

This is another town that was split off from an existing town, again to build a golf course and again so that that golf course could allow play on Sundays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavistock,_New_Jersey

In this case, the "town" is 99% taken up by the golf course and the remainder taken up by roads through and to it, and about 4 houses 3 of which belong to descendants of the original golf course owners. There's 5 people living there, and 3 of them are in the Town Council, including the Mayor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two questions about Excel:

How do I combine both the TODAY() and NOW() function so I get the current time AND date the spreadsheet is ran/opened in a cell?

And secondly, is there a way in Excel to take that time and date, AND have those values then be converted to a format that can be accepted as part of a valid email address? Something like:

"03-19-14-15.00" or,

"Mar19-2014.15.00"

Or really any sort of format that isn't the default one using slashes and colons.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

You mean something like this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^^^Or that, depends on what you want to do with it afterwards.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Two questions about Excel:

How do I combine both the TODAY() and NOW() function so I get the current time AND date the spreadsheet is ran/opened in a cell?

And secondly, is there a way in Excel to take that time and date, AND have those values then be converted to a format that can be accepted as part of a valid email address? Something like:

"03-19-14-15.00" or,

"Mar19-2014.15.00"

Or really any sort of format that isn't the default one using slashes and colons.
code:
=YEAR(NOW())&"."&MONTH(NOW())&"."&DAY(NOW())&"-"&HOUR(NOW())&"h"&MINUTE(NOW())
Ampersand to concatenate strings. Rearrange to you heart's content.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Awesome, thanks guys.

Now...is there a way to get it to have quotation marks around it? Like:

"[current time and date here]"

Would it require making some random cell that actually used by the end result program generating the time and date in the format I want, and then the cell I'm actually using just referencing the time and date as pure text, and then adding the " to the beginning and end of it?

Edit: V V V See, I knew it was something like that, but I was just doing three quotes (""") instead of four. I should have remembered from the couple random programming classes I had years and years ago that double quotes in a string need to be...uhh...doubled. V V V

Double edit: Welp, all for naught. It looks like Excel isn't passing the data generated by the formula, it's just passing the formula. So the script wants "2014.3.19-15h55"
but it's getting:
code:
=""""&YEAR(NOW())&"."&MONTH(NOW())&"."&DAY(NOW())&"-"&HOUR(NOW())&"h"&MINUTE(NOW())&""""

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome, thanks guys.

Now...is there a way to get it to have quotation marks around it? Like:

"[current time and date here]"

Would it require making some random cell that actually used by the end result program generating the time and date in the format I want, and then the cell I'm actually using just referencing the time and date as pure text, and then adding the " to the beginning and end of it?
Confusingly:
code:
=""""&YEAR(NOW())&"."&MONTH(NOW())&"."&DAY(NOW())&"-"&HOUR(NOW())&"h"&MINUTE(NOW())&""""
Edit: So, double double quotes within a string are interpreted as double quotes. Since they are a string, they need to be enclosed in double quotes in a formula.

EDIT 2: Use the TEXT function to pad numbers with leading zeroes to the desired length for more consistency:
code:
=""""&TEXT(YEAR(NOW()),"0000")&"-"&TEXT(MONTH(NOW()),"00")&"-"&TEXT(DAY(NOW()),"00")&"_"&TEXT(HOUR(NOW()),"00")&"h"&TEXT(MINUTE(NOW()),"00"&"""")

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I work for a small business and we get calls all the time from people I think are scammers, but I can't figure out what their scam is. They always call up and say stuff like this:

"Hi, I'm calling from X and I'm wondering if your business is planning on relocating in the next few months?" where X = something nonsensical like Washington State Business District (we're not in Washington state and also this isn't a thing), or Chamber of Commerce without any sort of city name attached.

Anyone know what the heck this is about? It's obvious they're up to something shady because if you poke holes in their story they get nervous and hang up, but I can't figure out what they'd actually do with this information if we gave it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

I work for a small business and we get calls all the time from people I think are scammers, but I can't figure out what their scam is. They always call up and say stuff like this:

"Hi, I'm calling from X and I'm wondering if your business is planning on relocating in the next few months?" where X = something nonsensical like Washington State Business District (we're not in Washington state and also this isn't a thing), or Chamber of Commerce without any sort of city name attached.

Anyone know what the heck this is about? It's obvious they're up to something shady because if you poke holes in their story they get nervous and hang up, but I can't figure out what they'd actually do with this information if we gave it to them.
I believe they sell it as sales leads, primarily to commercial real estate companies. When we were moving, we got a ton of calls from places like that.