Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Anyone have experience with optimising layer compositing in Chrome for Android? I've moved a lot of an app I'm working on over to using translate3d to prevent layout paints where they aren't wanted, and performance is excellent on iOS, desktop chrome and Firefox. On Chrome for Android however, I'm hitting a composite layer calls lasting a full second. Firefox on Android has no such problem.

Anyone got suggestions on how to get Chrome behaving well with 3dTranslate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone have an atom invite laying around? I haven't been invited yet :(

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I have 2 extras, PM me your email address. I can't even use it yet since I don't have a mac.

edit: both invites have been claimed

fletcher fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 19, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to add some really cheesy looking glitter/confetti/fireworks or something to a webpage as a joke. Anybody got a snippet for a good one?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

fletcher posted:

I want to add some really cheesy looking glitter/confetti/fireworks or something to a webpage as a joke. Anybody got a snippet for a good one?

CSS3 Glitter Star Effect

PONIFY ALL THE THINGS

JavaScript Starfield that follows your cursor and probably will make visitors motion sick after a while

Also look into mouse cursor effects.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

fletcher posted:

http://code.divshot.com/geo-bootstrap/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Why settle for confetti or fireworks when you can be both cheesy and a few months behind the times? Put some lovely snow on that page.

points++ if you include a three month late holiday greeting in a glitter font.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

This is fantastic. I love the inputs being on fire if they are incorrect.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

fletcher posted:

I have 2 extras, PM me your email address. I can't even use it yet since I don't have a mac.

edit: both invites have been claimed

As I was able to grab one of these, it means I have 2 invites now! PM for one.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fletcher posted:

always include fartscroll

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm coding up a website in CSS for a friend, and he wanted to do this sort of design for one of the pages.

(The colored sections aren't going to be in the final product)

Anyway, the areas I've outlined in green boxes are to be the borders. However, I've looked online and I've only seen CSS tutorials for "homogeneous" borders. Like if I wanted the vine scroll to wrap around the entire frame, I could do that. However, I also want the design at the top and bottom to appear.

I'm a bit stumped at how to do this elegantly. Or should we just settle for making the whole frame a single static image?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm coding up a website in CSS for a friend, and he wanted to do this sort of design for one of the pages.

You're going to have a Bad Time unless the container with the border has a static height. Trying to have it repeat and terminate at the right spot is going to be nearly impossible otherwise.

One image would work, however if you'd like to cut down on file size you could make the top and bottom both individual images, and then repeat the left and right borders as background images on a div with a set height that's a multiple of the image's height. Heavy emphasis on set height.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My css is pretty good, but I have a friend who would like a tutorial in css/html basics and I'm not really sure what to point them to. Any suggestions? Is the net Tuts+ tutorial the way to go? (it's the only one in the initial set of posts that explicitly mentions css)

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Codecademy has a pretty good course on basic HTML & CSS.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

DrSunshine posted:

(The colored sections aren't going to be in the final product)

Anyway, the areas I've outlined in green boxes are to be the borders. However, I've looked online and I've only seen CSS tutorials for "homogeneous" borders. Like if I wanted the vine scroll to wrap around the entire frame, I could do that. However, I also want the design at the top and bottom to appear.

I'm a bit stumped at how to do this elegantly. Or should we just settle for making the whole frame a single static image?

The only way is to limit the height of the box to multiples of the height of one repetition of the pattern through javascript. It's going to be very fiddly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thanks for the tips, guys. I think we'll just settle for the simple "single static box" solution. :)

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

KARMA! posted:

The only way is to limit the height of the box to multiples of the height of one repetition of the pattern through javascript. It's going to be very fiddly.

I feel like I have to do this sort of bullshit on a daily basis, while the designer stares at me blankly as I plead my case.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for all the suggestions for adding some bling to my webpage, it was a big hit at the office :) I'd include a screenshot of what I ended up with but it's for a private intranet site...

Got another questions...is there another wysiwyg editor library that isn't abandoned? I've been using https://github.com/xing/wysihtml5 but it doesn't look like anybody works on it anymore.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008
TinyMCE is my usual go to, it is quite bloated though.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Holy poo poo I just git cloned something from the mid-90s.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Heskie posted:

I feel like I have to do this sort of bullshit on a daily basis, while the designer stares at me blankly as I plead my case.

Can you use CSS Border-image on the containing element / body?

http://css-tricks.com/understanding-border-image/

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My css is pretty good, but I have a friend who would like a tutorial in css/html basics and I'm not really sure what to point them to. Any suggestions? Is the net Tuts+ tutorial the way to go? (it's the only one in the initial set of posts that explicitly mentions css)

I've found this guide pretty nice. Once they know the very basics, this is a nice simple site to explain how to do basic layouts with css.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Sergeant Rock posted:

Can you use CSS Border-image on the containing element / body?

http://css-tricks.com/understanding-border-image/

Not while supporting IE7 :eng99:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fletcher posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions for adding some bling to my webpage, it was a big hit at the office :) I'd include a screenshot of what I ended up with but it's for a private intranet site...

Got another questions...is there another wysiwyg editor library that isn't abandoned? I've been using https://github.com/xing/wysihtml5 but it doesn't look like anybody works on it anymore.

http://imperavi.com/redactor/ http://jejacks0n.github.io/mercury/ http://www.aloha-editor.org/ http://wymeditor.github.io/wymeditor/

And there's always tinyMCE (already mentioned) & ckeditor.

karms fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 20, 2014

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I want to build a set of dynamic forms. They should be "dynamic" in the sense that I'll want the user to be able to add fields for various things.

I don't want to save any of the information entered in the form, but I do want it to be flexible enough to (eventually) do the following:

* Print the form (easy enough)
* Email the form in a readable format
* Export the form as a Word file
* Output the form to an API

For now, it's enough if users can print and email the form.

Last thing: it needs to render in the browser. No special server-side stuff like PHP. I want people to be able to download the Github repo, click on index.html, and use the forms on their own computers, if they way to.

I'm thinking this means incorporating Javascript, but I'm hoping there is a forms package out there that I can just use, instead of starting from scratch. Any you recommend?

Here is what I have so far, just using basic HTML forms for placeholders while I work on the look and feel: http://lawyerist.github.io/law-practice-forms/index.html

Robot Arms fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 20, 2014

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
As far as I'm aware a js solution for a mailing form doesn't exist. You can create a mailto: form but it will open the users email client to send data.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Heskie posted:

Not while supporting IE7 :eng99:

*points at you and laughs

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh My Science posted:

As far as I'm aware a js solution for a mailing form doesn't exist. You can create a mailto: form but it will open the users email client to send data.

You could call something like mandrill's API to send mail.

If you did this you would want to make the user put in their own API key or something though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

Theoretically you could use a third party service like Mandrill for the email bits, but then you'd have to expose your API key in the code somewhere. I doubt they'd be super happy about that.

e:fb by one drat minute!

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

kedo posted:

Theoretically you could use a third party service like Mandrill for the email bits, but then you'd have to expose your API key in the code somewhere. I doubt they'd be super happy about that.

e:fb by one drat minute!

Technically node.js is Javascript, so they could then pass it to the server, heh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nebulon Gate posted:

Technically node.js is Javascript, so they could then pass it to the server, heh.

He wants to do this fully in the browser, heh.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I guess I should have said it could be done, but that it was a bad idea.

According to his link:

quote:

These are generic law practice forms. You can bookmark this page and use them right here, create your own fork in Github, or download the files and use them on your own computer or website (see README.md for help with this). However you use it, we would love your feedback.

I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of this. It looks like a standard contact form with a few additional fields. Unless it spits out data in a special format required by law offices I don't know why people would use this vs. a standard contact form through WordPress / whatever framework they are using.

Maybe samglover can elaborate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh My Science posted:

I guess I should have said it could be done, but that it was a bad idea.

According to his link:

I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of this. It looks like a standard contact form with a few additional fields. Unless it spits out data in a special format required by law offices I don't know why people would use this vs. a standard contact form through WordPress / whatever framework they are using.

Maybe samglover can elaborate.

He's going to make a boilerplate generator for a law firm, that's just the initial client intake form that will take that in and spit out their terms of engagement. He's also presumably going to make dozens more for the different filings they do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well if it's only going out to non-technical folks you could use Mandrill and just base64 encode the API key and be careful with who you give it to. Your average legal aide probably isn't going to care enough or go through the effort to figure out what all those numbers mean (if they ever even look at the source code).

e: Or you could require the user get and use their own API key. :shrug:
e2: Or you could get some cheap hosting and just point email to a PHP file on your server which could do the actual sending. This all really depends on how public you're going to make this tool.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Oh My Science posted:

I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of this.

I'm trying to build a fairly simple set of standard forms that I wish I had for my own firm when I was practicing full-time, and that I think other lawyers will find useful. I will add more forms once I get the basic framework done, but the intake form seemed like as good a place to start as any.

What you may not realize is that many lawyers are actually just going to want to print this out (to PDF, if they are a bit more tech-savvy) to put in their paper client file. (Many lawyers do this on a legal pad, and are lucky if they can find their client's phone number when they need it; others use a Word document.) In other words, print.css is more important than letting lawyers email the form to themselves. Although eventually I'd like to recruit some of the practice-management software vendors to integrate these forms into their systems. All of those systems allow you to enter this type of information (hell, so does Outlook), but they are not process-oriented, which is the piece I'm trying to work on.

I'm not trying to change the world; just put together a useful bit of code and put it out there for free in the hope that a few other lawyers will also find it useful.

Anyway, figuring out how to allow the user to add custom fields is actually the most-important thing I need. I just want to put a + symbol below the email fields, for example, and when they click it, another email address field shows up with a select box next to it.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Looks like a candidate for a SAAS platform.

If you were to provide this service with a proper backend you could do whatever you wanted with the data and then some.

As for adding additional fields that depends on what your backend looks like. I could point you towards a bunch of ruby on rails references for this but I don't know what you plan to use.

---

You can cheat. Have 5 email (or whatever) fields in the source code and hide them with JS. Have a button that toggles their visibility.

Don't do this with a DB.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 20, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, if I was going to do this I would probably offer it as a sinatra app with no database hosted in ~the cloud~, just let the company that has paid you for it log in and use that to set up the address the emails for that user go to.

You can use something like prawn to very easily generate the PDFs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Griffith86 posted:

TinyMCE is my usual go to, it is quite bloated though.

Nice, thanks for the links!

Coincidentally I just saw an article on HN that mentions a few of these: http://www.theguardian.com/info/developer-blog/2014/mar/20/inside-the-guardians-cms-meet-scribe-an-extensible-rich-text-editor

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Oh My Science posted:

Looks like a candidate for a SAAS platform.

If you were to provide this service with a proper backend you could do whatever you wanted with the data and then some.

… 

You can cheat.

Cheating is a great idea, actually.

I'm going to try to keep from using server-side stuff for a while, because I think people are going to want to download it for local use. But I could be totally wrong about that, and I'm not sure that will be viable in the (not-very-)long run, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

samglover posted:

Cheating is a great idea, actually.

Just be aware that we're guessing at the maximum # of fields a user may need. Unless you go crazy and add 100 extra hidden fields (which is crazy) you may run into edge cases where someone wanted 6 email fields not 5. You would know what the realistic limits should be for that form, and make sure you notify people if they hit that limit (hide the + button or a flash message).