Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RadicalR posted:

At the risk of invoking more bad memories, what's this JetDirect you're talking about?

Back in the day, printers weren't networked. You had to buy a device into which you plugged the printer via parallel cable and then plug that device into the network.

Assigning network addressing was problematic and they had a tendency to fall off the network a lot.

Newer models of printers had expansion cards that cost extra for network connectivity. Only a slightly less painful version of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Potato Alley posted:

I wish they'd fix the last little bits and release software faster.

ubiquiti.txt

One thing I always emphasise with people when they are looking to deploy some Ubiquiti kit is to make sure that the spec list matches your requirements, don't even think about reading what's coming soon and assume that by the time you get around to installing the kit that it's arrived.

Although I can understand the complaints about installing in a user profile on Windows, just run that thing on a Linux VM on Azure. It will cost next to nothing and you don't have to worry about it. When version 3 finally releases, that combined with an Azure VM and a DNS server that we can control is going to be a bit of a dream for small business MSPs.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 19, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

MJP posted:

Time to get that Suntory Hibiki I've been wanting to try!

As an owner of a bottle of this, you're right. If you manage to get enough cash for your old toner, though, maybe consider the Suntory Yamazaki instead. The Hibiki is delicious, but it's a bit too smooth for IT-problems-related drinking.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Caconym posted:

Today we found a pair of "redundant" UPSes that were both running at 55% load. :downs:

55% of 50% of 80% right?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Collateral Damage posted:

Modern built-in JetDirect isn't too bad. The old standalone boxes were the cause of much alcoholism.

UPS chat: We have a second level UPS for the Nagios server. The batteries failed and I found the AGM cells have swelled to the point where can't get the battery drawer out to replace them. :saddowns:

The 4200s we had (and 4250s) had embedded JetDirect cards; When we switched over to using the UPD (Universal Print Driver) EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT would soft-brick the printer with a 49.4c02, forcing you to turn it off and on again., then channeling your inner F5 button flashing the firmware through the HTTP GUI before another document was sent.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Given the amount of poo poo UPD has given me I'm more inclined to blame the driver in that case. But yeah, hardware still shouldn't hard lock like that because of bad data.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

NerdsMcGee posted:

The 4200s we had (and 4250s) had embedded JetDirect cards; When we switched over to using the UPD (Universal Print Driver) EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT would soft-brick the printer with a 49.4c02, forcing you to turn it off and on again., then channeling your inner F5 button flashing the firmware through the HTTP GUI before another document was sent.

Hmm.. I could swear only the 4x50 series had embedded JetDirect. The 4x00 series used a card. At least, the ones we have here are all like that.

In addition to JetDirect issues, we've also run in to issues where some of the older accessories (printer cassette trays, tray 3 mechanism) that are compatible with 4200/4300 series, but not 4250/4350 series. The newer ones that come with 4250/4350 series are backward compatible with 4200/4300. Often times, they would seem to work fine for a bit, then eventually start throwing up printer jam errors even though there wasn't anything jammed. After the old printer repair company pointed that out, that cut down on quite a few calls.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm sorry for bringing up bad memo---

ERROR 49.4c02

Burn motherfucker.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can't speak to overarching JetDirect schema, but IIRC at least 4600s and 4700s all used removable JetDirect cards. On paper this sounds great, because if the JetDirect card died you could just replace it. In practice it was less so, because they were the only ones that ever failed. There was one specific model that was constantly failing, not that I could tell you which one offhand because all the models looked pretty much the same.

Older JetDirect crap were standalone units took a network cable to the jack and USB to the device. Those were a pain in the rear end.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you can't avoid printers entirely then at least avoid the ones with a USB port on and a separate box.

At the risk of committing some sort of heresy, the LaserJet Enterprise range are pretty nice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The larger MFP models are fine except they eat consumables like candy.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An email came in:

lazy jerk posted:

Hey, larchesdanrew, when you get a chance, would you come kill this spider in my office? Thanks.

Response: "Haha, no thanks." :fuckoff:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I never had any problem with JetDirect cards, and I used to be responsible for loads of them.

The trick was to ignore the 100MB+ WebJetAdmin 4.x software that head office had set up, that would take ages to find new jetdirect cards and only refresh its web page every 10 minutes; and instead install the 2MB JetAdmin 3 on your laptop and use that instead. For the stubborn ones, I'd visit them, reset them and configure via a crossover cable and telnet (default IP was 192.0.0.192 for some stupid reason)

The only time I ran into a complicated problem was the time one of the support guys tried to network an old (yet huge and awesome) plotter. I could configure the JetDirect fine, but it would not talk to the plotter. Get the user to plug the cable for the plotter into the dying workstation it was initially set up on and it would work fine.

Turned out that the support guy had plugged a 25pin gender changer onto the JetDirect's parallel port and then plugged the plotter's serial cable into that.

Ended up shoving a new hard drive an a 3c509 ISA network card into that worksation, installing Debian and setting it up as a print server!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

larchesdanrew posted:

An email came in:

Response: "Haha, no thanks." :fuckoff:

"You can come borrow a tennis shoe from my gym bag if you want."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Che Delilas posted:

"You can come borrow a tennis shoe from my gym bag if you want."

Holy hell he actually went over my head on this. He went to my supervisor and asked if we'd call an exterminator. He got laughed out of my supervisor's office, so there's at least that.

Meanwhile a ticket came in:

idiot posted:

I'm trying to rename a file from file1.mpg to file2.mpg but it says a file with that name already exists. I need you to come rename this file for me.

Naturally, I'm not allowed to rename, move, or delete the original file2.mpg. They won't tell me why they need the file renamed, so I'm choosing to not consider it important.

On top of everything else, the GM wants me to use a 3D modeling program to make an exact replica of our entire building so he can get the measurements of our studio. I suggested simply, you know, measuring the studio, but this is clearly a horrible idea and will never work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

On top of everything else, the GM wants me to use a 3D modeling program to make an exact replica of our entire building so he can get the measurements of our studio. I suggested simply, you know, measuring the studio, but this is clearly a horrible idea and will never work.

Don't you need measurements to make the replica anyway?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Don't you need measurements to make the replica anyway?

Exactly.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

55% of 50% of 80% right?

I can't quite parse this, but if a yes means everything is OK then it's a no. :v:
(actually it is OK, we finished migrating to a new server room yesterday, so the not very redundant UPSes no longer matter)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of emails came in

Ive been dealing with this overly complex saga for this web developer contractor my client has hired. He needed port 80 access to his workstation for some reason, so I did a VIP with a port forward for him. He also requested an email account on the clients domain.

After 5 days here is what we need to do.

I create a domain email account, which forwards email from the application to a gmail account, which I create and have to manage, that the developer has access to. I don't know why he cant have access to the domain email itself, or what we have to do this overly convoluted path. I think part of the issue is the developer doesn't know what he needs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of emails came in

Ive been dealing with this overly complex saga for this web developer contractor my client has hired. He needed port 80 access to his workstation for some reason, so I did a VIP with a port forward for him. He also requested an email account on the clients domain.

After 5 days here is what we need to do.

I create a domain email account, which forwards email from the application to a gmail account, which I create and have to manage, that the developer has access to. I don't know why he cant have access to the domain email itself, or what we have to do this overly convoluted path. I think part of the issue is the developer doesn't know what he needs.

By "web developer" i assume you mean "relative of the CEO of the company who knows a bit of HTML"?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SolTerrasa posted:

As an owner of a bottle of this, you're right. If you manage to get enough cash for your old toner, though, maybe consider the Suntory Yamazaki instead. The Hibiki is delicious, but it's a bit too smooth for IT-problems-related drinking.

The Yamazaki 18 is one of the finest single malts I have ever had. Get it if you can.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

By "web developer" i assume you mean "relative of the CEO of the company who knows a bit of HTML"?

no, some contractor they found...

im assuming by found they mean on Kijiji

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

blackswordca posted:

no, some contractor they found...

im assuming by found they mean on Kijiji

It's partly your job to consult him on what he needs. Just talk to him about what wants to accomplish.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
An audit came in ...

Apparently I come across as "abrasive" and "questionable in terms of policy knowledge" in some of my emails. My supervisor wouldn't tell me which ones, but hinted at the latter issue being emails from my first month on the job (I'll have been there for four months tomorrow). We're being audited right now, and while the emails aren't things they actually check, a coworker made the mistake of saying the wrong thing to an auditor so now they're trying to catch us on not knowing policy.

So my question is, how does one go about NOT sounding "abrasive" in an email? The questionable bit was clearly from lack of know-how from me being a helldesk newbie, so I'm not particularly worried about that (supervisor said we didn't do anything wrong, just that we were giving off a weird vibe in the email). I usually put things like:

"Please advise on the below request." "Kindly fill out and submit the form located below." "As per company policy, you will have to contact _____ regarding your request."

I guess I sound too robotic and it could be misconstrued as me being too blunt? :ohdear: Please advise.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Go with "Dear hosed-up Excuse for a Walking Enema..." and then ask them if your previous emails sound abrasive in that context.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

justlysarcastic posted:

So my question is, how does one go about NOT sounding "abrasive" in an email?
Pastels.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

justlysarcastic posted:

So my question is, how does one go about NOT sounding "abrasive" in an email? The questionable bit was clearly from lack of know-how from me being a helldesk newbie, so I'm not particularly worried about that (supervisor said we didn't do anything wrong, just that we were giving off a weird vibe in the email). I usually put things like:

Superfluous exclamation points!

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

justlysarcastic posted:

So my question is, how does one go about NOT sounding "abrasive" in an email?

Comic Sans.

:colbert:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

justlysarcastic posted:

An audit came in ...

Apparently I come across as "abrasive" and "questionable in terms of policy knowledge" in some of my emails. My supervisor wouldn't tell me which ones, but hinted at the latter issue being emails from my first month on the job (I'll have been there for four months tomorrow). We're being audited right now, and while the emails aren't things they actually check, a coworker made the mistake of saying the wrong thing to an auditor so now they're trying to catch us on not knowing policy.

"Please advise on the below request." "Kindly fill out and submit the form located below." "As per company policy, you will have to contact _____ regarding your request."

I guess I sound too robotic and it could be misconstrued as me being too blunt? :ohdear: Please advise.

It sounds like they are just nit picking. If they aren't finding anything wrong they they are going to pull something out of their rear end to justify their research.

Or attach a picture of a cat with some stupid saying like "kittys r cute" as a sig.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

justlysarcastic posted:

An audit came in ...

Refer to yourself in person consistently as a "mushroom cloud laying motherfucker" in third person and the emails will be downright fluffy and cute by comparison. </badadvice>

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

justlysarcastic posted:

An audit came in ...

In all seriousness it's not really something you can, or should, change. If they're pulling you up for *that* - You're doing a great job, well done! They won't care about this until the next audit. Accept their recommendations, say you'll look into improving, and move on.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

justlysarcastic posted:

Ask for specifics. No seriously, ask him to give you specific examples of how and when you are being abrasive. That's a pretty strong adjective, so he should be able to come up with something concrete. Don't come across as demanding; express concern that you're doing something you don't realize and that you'd be happy to correct it. If he can't, or won't, give you specifics, then you'll be forced to assume that he's full of poo poo or that one person has complained in vague terms about you and shouldn't be given any consideration.

I personally think the worst thing you could do is second-guess the poo poo out of yourself and spend the rest of your job walking around on eggshells over what is either a silly misinterpretation of a toneless email or a personality conflict so subtle you don't even know about it. That way lies too much stress. If you're polite and professional in all your correspondence, and nobody can give you any specifics, then frankly I feel like it's on them to get over themselves and learn to work with disparate personalities in the office.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
Haha, thanks for the responses! And for making me feel justified in feeling that I'm being nitpicked here.

Che Delilas posted:

Ask for specifics. No seriously, ask him to give you specific examples of how and when you are being abrasive. That's a pretty strong adjective, so he should be able to come up with something concrete. Don't come across as demanding; express concern that you're doing something you don't realize and that you'd be happy to correct it. If he can't, or won't, give you specifics, then you'll be forced to assume that he's full of poo poo or that one person has complained in vague terms about you and shouldn't be given any consideration.

I personally think the worst thing you could do is second-guess the poo poo out of yourself and spend the rest of your job walking around on eggshells over what is either a silly misinterpretation of a toneless email or a personality conflict so subtle you don't even know about it. That way lies too much stress. If you're polite and professional in all your correspondence, and nobody can give you any specifics, then frankly I feel like it's on them to get over themselves and learn to work with disparate personalities in the office.

I'll be asking my manager tomorrow if there are any specific emails where I was being dinged as abrasive, so I can use it as some kind of guide for how they don't want me to sound or whatever. I definitely don't want to end up going down the "second-guess everything" road, since I was camping out somewhere in the middle of it during my first few months, and that was not an experience I wanted to relive. Hopefully I'm given something to work with, but if not, I can safely say it was someone being overly sensitive about something.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So we've had an intermittent error coming up when someone tries to send a secure email out. We have a mail gateway that looks for certain text in a subject line, grabs the email and stuffs it to a secure email appliance that grabs the message, stores it, and then sends a notification to the outside person. We've had an issue where people send large rear end attachments in Outlook, and the message just disappears, with an error message showing up in the senders email box on the appliance.
We only moved to Exchange a few months ago from Groupwise and generally its ran really well, except this error. I did some testing and found that once emails hit about 15mb, they disappear, and according to the logs on the appliance, it kinda got the message, but it references our mail gateway as rejecting it. Exchange group has no clue, so I send some test messages out, look at headers, look at our logs, and it still looks like its an Exchange/gateway issue.
So today we are digging through its config, and find that the secure appliance has a setting to reject messages larger then 16MB. With Groupwise, it was set to dump any message larger then 10MB, and someone made a rule to dump anything that got by for some reason. But hadn't changed it when we switched to Exchange, not that they ever told us anyway. I finally get an answer to the file size on Exchange, we up our limit and problem solved.

This is one of those dumb department split where you have 3 different groups handling essentially the same concept, but at different changes. If one group handled all email, then they'd be able to look at things end to end, instead of each of us looking at our little part and trying to ram brains together over IM.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Raised a service request today to see if we can apply a change to a device to eliminate an apache vulnerability. After a couple of hours, I received an email that the ticket had been updated!

The support guy IMed me to advise he would call me, then called me advise he would email me. The email he sent advised the ticket had been updated with a solution. The solution was that support would contact me by phone.

Help, i'm stuck in an unending loop of falsely escalating metrics!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

In all seriousness it's not really something you can, or should, change. If they're pulling you up for *that* - You're doing a great job, well done! They won't care about this until the next audit. Accept their recommendations, say you'll look into improving, and move on.

Seriously. Sounds they are grasping at straws to have some token crap in order to conveniently not give him a raise.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 20, 2014

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

guppy posted:

I can't speak to overarching JetDirect schema, but IIRC at least 4600s and 4700s all used removable JetDirect cards. On paper this sounds great, because if the JetDirect card died you could just replace it. In practice it was less so, because they were the only ones that ever failed. There was one specific model that was constantly failing, not that I could tell you which one offhand because all the models looked pretty much the same.

Older JetDirect crap were standalone units took a network cable to the jack and USB to the device. Those were a pain in the rear end.

It was the 610 series - there was a manufacturing defect with a huge run of them that meant HP had to replace them even if out of warranty. That was a nice find months after we had paid to replace them all. Still got 3 of the 620 series which sold well on ebay! HP didn't exactly advertise the fact though.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a bunch of calls/emails came in.

So Sr tech went to a remote site to setup a new switch and subnet. He set up the new IPs for printers and the like but didn't test access to the RODC/File server. Nobody is able to get connected to the file server even with the new DNS settings. He never made note of the servers new IP and never checked what the IP for the VM host that's down there so I have no access to the hardware myself at the moment.

After this we have 4 more sites to do, this should be fun month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

blackswordca posted:

Incompetancy

Wait, you mean you're not even telepathic? You need to fix this. :colbert:

• Locked thread