Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd take DQV over IX personally. I'm not sure I'd call RH the best RPG on the DS, but I would say it's up there. My top three would probably be Devil Survivor 1, TWEWY, and RH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Dragon Quest IX would like a word with you in his office. Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey III are also in there, and they all have baseball bats.

Sorry, sorry, I'm just a sucker for sprite based RPGs involving time travel.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's been nearly 20 years, people need to get the hell over Chrono Trigger. Is it good, even great? Yes. But the constant pining for it is so reductive.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I only played through Chrono Trigger for the first time in 2012. It is a very good game, and the fact it only came out on iOS then as well means that for many people it's not almost two decades old at all. Plus, the design and gameplay is so good that I don't think people need to get the hell over it at all. Or else you could say the same about old movies and music and chess and whatever else that is old but people still love and go crazy for.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Everything turned out ok for the eshop/nintendo ID thing, so that's awesome. It was a pretty big pain in the rear end and a lot of jumping through hoops, though.

Just finished the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo. Gonna check out Etrian Odyssey 4 and Bravely Default next.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's been nearly 20 years, people need to get the hell over Chrono Trigger. Is it good, even great? Yes. But the constant pining for it is so reductive.

I just can't :(. Honestly, there hasn't been much since Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger that has been able to hit all the right notes so well.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I played Chrono Trigger probably 4 years ago and absolutely loved it. Which is quite unusual because as a rule I can't enjoy playing old games that dont already have nostalgia value for me.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

MEAT! posted:

Super Mario RPG

I'd love to play this - do you think it has held up today?

I imagine we won't be seeing this on 3DS or any other system, huh? (If we don't want to buy a Wii just for old games)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Volt Catfish posted:

Nah, all they did was redub Luke because he's apparently offensively "fake brit" bad.

Actually, they also redubbed Emmy for some reason. Then they also had (Unwound Future spoilers) Claire's actress record a different set of dialogue for the ending since the title is different between the US/UK, and she has to say the title in the last cutscene.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Absolutely. It's a bit on the easy side, but the music, characters, and dialogue are great and the battle system is streamlined and fun. I love the concept of timed hits and I have no idea why it hasn't been used in anything since.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MEAT! posted:

Absolutely. It's a bit on the easy side, but the music, characters, and dialogue are great and the battle system is streamlined and fun. I love the concept of timed hits and I have no idea why it hasn't been used in anything since.

Except for the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games, Mother 3, FFVIII, and a buttload of other games??

EDIT: Lightning Returns, which came out a month ago, has timed hits in it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MEAT! posted:

It's been used in Paper Marios 1 and 2, plus all the Mario & Luigi RPGs!

e:f,b

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

I imagine we won't be seeing this on 3DS or any other system, huh? (If we don't want to buy a Wii just for old games)

If you have a WiiU, you can still access the Wii Shop Channel through Wii mode.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Except for the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games, Mother 3, FFVIII, and a buttload of other games??

EDIT: Lightning Returns, which came out a month ago, has timed hits in it

Oh man I totally forgot. I've only played Superstar Saga out of all of those, but yeah, ahaha nvm.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

I'd say it holds up today. The humor in it is surprisingly good, like Toad sassing you at the beginning when he thinks Bowser kicked your rear end, or some of the things that happen when you skip tutorial segments, and Mario communicates only through mime which is amusing when he's talking about an event that just happened.

The only warning is there's a frog coin you can only get very early in the game (you have to jump on Toad's head as he's walking into the throne room to get to a lip above the door with a hidden block that is never accessible again).

The game is available on the Wii VC (and by extension on Wii U in OG Wii mode) but I think that's likely to be it, even SNES flash carts can't run it because it uses a special chip (which made it a nightmare to dump a ROM of).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MEAT! posted:

Oh man I totally forgot. I've only played Superstar Saga out of all of those, but yeah, ahaha nvm.

And the new South Park game if that's your thing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

Redubs in the same language

Why not use Singaporean actors for English dubs? That way, everyone (except Singapore, I guess) can get shortchanged. Actually, I'd take any English speaking country outside of the US or the UK. And there'd be subtitle options for every possible English dialect, even Orwellian Newspeak.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MEAT! posted:

You should totally add Bowser's Inside Story to your to-play list. I personally think it's the best Mario and Luigi game (I have yet to play Dream Team, but the general consensus from this thread leads me to believe that BIS will remain my favorite). Skip Partners in Time though. It's an alright game on its own, but as a Mario RPG, it's total poo poo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

You should totally add Bowser's Inside Story to your to-play list. I personally think it's the best Mario and Luigi game (I have yet to play Dream Team, but the general consensus from this thread leads me to believe that BIS will remain my favorite). Skip Partners in Time though. It's an alright game on its own, but as a Mario RPG, it's total poo poo.

BIS is probably the height of the Mario and Luigi RPG formula games, yeah. I wish there was like a whole game where you played as Bowser with the personality he has in BIS. Good writing (or localization? whatever it's amusing)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Never recommend you an old book, movie, or painting. Got it. :v:

Seriously, if it's a "good, even great" game, why should people stop praising it/recommending it/discussing it? Sure you shouldn't let it get in the way of enjoying/discussing modern games, but as part of the weird whiplash reactionary relationship of gamers and games, any game past a certain age that people like which gets discussed tends to start being "the best game ever" or "something that should not be talked about", because of its age. That's just dumb, and people should try and move away from that to upgrade the general discussion of video games. If you're worried old games will keep the conversation from progressing, bring out a modern example of your own!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Rumor about the prof Layton Luke redub is that the actress voicing him was actually english, but sounded fake english, and apparently the guy voicing Layton is not english and was perfectly fine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've played Chrono Trigger, and I don't mind people recommending it. It's the folks pining away for some mystical, Arthurian return-of-the-king situation that get on my nerves.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Argue posted:

Actually, they also redubbed Emmy for some reason. Then they also had (Unwound Future spoilers) Claire's actress record a different set of dialogue for the ending since the title is different between the US/UK, and she has to say the title in the last cutscene.

Almost all of the games also have arbitrarily different titles between the NA and PAL versions. Like the second game is only called Pandora's Box in the UK, so they had some voiced lines about how the Elysian Box is also called Pandora's Box as per the famous myth. It's like a line or two of dialogue that never appears in the NA release.

Speaking of arbitrary differences, at least in the second game, the NA version has you enter in your name with writing with the stylus, while the PAL version just uses a keyboard.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Finally got through all the runaround to get the Pokemon Y download code. Not sure if it was worth flaring up my permanency issues with all this registering and points of no return.

DoctorWhat posted:

I've played Chrono Trigger, and I don't mind people recommending it. It's the folks pining away for some mystical, Arthurian return-of-the-king situation that get on my nerves.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about...you can still buy Chrono Trigger DS from anywhere last time I checked.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Where was this happening in this thread?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Chrono Trigger, I really should pick that up now that I have a 3DS. I can find it for $15 pre-owned which seems like a pretty good deal. I really doubt there are new copies still around (that aren't at a stupid high price), but if there are any other recommendations of where to pick up a copy I'd love to hear them.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Chrono Trigger, I really should pick that up now that I have a 3DS. I can find it for $15 pre-owned which seems like a pretty good deal. I really doubt there are new copies still around (that aren't at a stupid high price), but if there are any other recommendations of where to pick up a copy I'd love to hear them.

You can pick it up new from 3rd party shops on Amazon for like 25$.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ragequit posted:

DS games are pretty much all phased out except for some first-party Nintendo stuff like the Mario/Mario Kart DS games. If you have to go through eBay just be aware that bootlegs are rampant for some games, especially for Pokémon games.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's funny that the Advance Wars carts are so expensive considering I paid less than $20 in total for both carts while they were available at retail.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They are? I got every single AW laying around with 100% completion so I could probably sell a few.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

axleblaze posted:

Where was this happening in this thread?

I don't know about this thread in general, but a lot of folks do hold Chrono Trigger in very high regard as the apex of JRPGs.

I'm more of a Secret of Evermore kind of guy myself, but to each their own.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I recently found Days of Ruin for all of 10 bucks. It really is the best one.

I wish they'd make another. 7 years has been too long.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

They are? I got every single AW laying around with 100% completion so I could probably sell a few.

I just did a quick ebay search and apparently they're not? I dunno, I was just going by what someone said on the last page.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AW carts were still going for at least $25 last time I checked.

IIRC when I was looking I was looking for CIB games which made them all not exactly cheap though :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I recently reset my 3ds settings to factory default. Do I need to re download the 1.2 update for Pokemon Y or is that modified on the cart itself?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's saved on the sd card i believe. you can check for it in system settings.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Awesome! posted:

it's saved on the sd card i believe. you can check for it in system settings.

The SD card was wiped too as part of the reformat.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

then you will need to redownload it. I don't think any DLC or updates that I've seen get installed to the cart, it's always the sd card.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got a 3DS used and the owner's Nintendo Network ID is tied to it, probably because he bought LoZ: Ocarina 3D through the eShop. What does this mean? Can I still use the store with my credit card or would you recommend against it? I'm hesitant to reset it because I'd lose the game.

Also, it wasn't registered to Club Nintendo so if anyone wants Pokemon X/Y, I'll give it to them if they can give me one of the codes for the games that qualify for that promotion. I already own Y so it's whatever.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Cloks posted:

Also, it wasn't registered to Club Nintendo so if anyone wants Pokemon X/Y, I'll give it to them if they can give me one of the codes for the games that qualify for that promotion. I already own Y so it's whatever.

PMed you about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are there any particularly good 3DS titles that probably aren't leaving Japan, by-and-by?

• Locked thread