Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was cool but quick. I liked the line With your imagination you can't create anything I can't cut through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

If this no-name non-combat villain is the only fight that powered-up Kenpachi gets then I'm moving all of Bleach to the "It's Crap!" section of my memories.

He clearly has a name. It says it right in the chapter.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Uh oh, this guy has a smug face.

Could he be an actual threat?

No.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Bleach Manga 14: Because I'm Kenpachi

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
The lack of dramatic tension in Bleach is only overshadowed by the predictability of Yawehbach telling Ichigo that his entire army being wiped out was all according to keikaku.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

seizure later posted:

The lack of dramatic tension in Bleach is only overshadowed by the predictability of Yawehbach telling Ichigo that his entire army being wiped out was all according to keikaku.

Well, it does power him up by having his power returned back to him, so yeah.

Not that I'm expecting anything interesting to come out of bleach at this point in time.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I figure we've got another year of [the cast] just stepping on Sternritters, with the occasional "hey look I can do character development actual all" in the form of the loser quartet winning a few fights.

After all that, we should get some real plot development.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

The_Frag_Man posted:

That was cool but quick. I liked the line With your imagination you can't create anything I can't cut through.

I swear if this sternritter can transform with his imagination, there is only one thing I'd think Kenpachi couldn't cut. Yachiru. Also, the ability to do that would be stupid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CanUSayGym posted:

I swear if this sternritter can transform with his imagination, there is only one thing I'd think Kenpachi couldn't cut. Yachiru. Also, the ability to do that would be stupid.

I've always thought that particular trope was stupid, but if there's one character I can think of in all of fiction that I would expect to be unaffected by "I look like this one person you care about therefor you'll never be able to attack me because you obviously can't just rationalize that I'm not that person", it's Kenpachi.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Omglosser posted:

I guess being a complete retard is a good balance for having such a strong power. Why not imagine you're stronger than Kenpachi? No, just imagine you're tougher than steel. THAT'LL show this legendary shinigami with immeasurable power who's boss!

It's an imagination power. It's theoretically limitless but in practice it's limited by the user's imagination. Duhh.

So apparently this imagination power guy has a pretty limited imagination if that's all he can think of.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
In proper hands it'll be broken as gently caress yeah. Just have the dude imagine Kenpachi turning into Ted from the end of "I have no mouth and I must scream" Problem solved. Or suddenly have him crumble into dust. I mean if your power allows you to turn people's bones into loving COOKIES. Anything goes right?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Not exactly, no...

Shugojin posted:

It's an imagination power. It's theoretically limitless but in practice it's limited by the user's imagination. Duhh.

So apparently this imagination power guy has a pretty limited imagination if that's all he can think of.

That's not quite how it works... Gremmy's power works by manipulating the imagination of the person he needs to change, be that person himself or his opponent. In other words, in order for him to change Kenpachi's sword into cookies or whatever, Gremmy would need to make KENPACHI think about HIS OWN SWORD turning into cookies... which Kenpachi is too bullheaded to do, unlike Yachiru. So instead of making Kenpachi imagine he's weaker offensively, Gremmy has to imagine that he himself is stronger defensively! :eng101:

EDIT: \/\/\/

DrSunshine posted:

Why can't he just imagine that he's made of a material that even Kenpachi couldn't cut?

Can God create a burrito so big that not even He could eat it?

Because his power only works if he's imagining a clearly-defined object or substance. Meaning that he has to know EXACTLY what he's changing something into on a realistic level, not just a theoretical or hypothetical one.

In this case, that means he has to know exactly what kind of material Kenpachi couldn't cut, and then imagine that his body is that material. If he doesn't know the exact identity of the material, though, then he can't manifest it, because his brain has no idea what to manifest.

Make sense?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why can't he just imagine that he's made of a material that even Kenpachi couldn't cut?

Can God create a burrito so big that not even He could eat it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

See above post.

Also the reason he was able to lift the ground they were both standing on is because he (Gremmy) is standing on that ground too, so lifting up the ground is something that would affect him (Gremmy) directly.

Of course, that stuff I posted above also means that Gremmy couldn't really have killed Kensei and Rose, because to do so, he would have needed them both to be awake and conscious enough to manipulate their own imaginations into believing that they were dead/killed... unless he could manipulate their coma dreams or something, which he apparently can't.

... However, I get the sense that, even if Kensei and Rose WERE conscious, there are limitations as to how far Gremmy's power can go. He can't make somebody manifest something that would cause their brain to cease functioning if they imagined it... in other words, he can't kill somebody by just making them imagine that they're dead, or he would've tried to do that to Yachiru and Isane a long time ago. He also can't just get someone to think that their blood has been replaced with cyanide, because that would also destroy the brain if it were to be manifest. He can spit into someone's mouth and make them think it's deadly batrachotoxin, but only if he can get them to agree in their minds that it's deadly batrachotoxin.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 19, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He probably can't do that because he can't imagine how strong Kenpachi is. He could think "Ken is probably X power, so I'll make myself Y power(Y more than X, obv.)" and when that doesn't turn out to be enough since he didn't understand how strong Ken is, he makes himself stronger, but it's still not enough. Either that or he's just an idiot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

^^^ Not exactly, no...

That's not quite how it works... Gremmy's power works by manipulating the imagination of the person he needs to change, be that person himself or his opponent. In other words, in order for him to change Kenpachi's sword into cookies or whatever, Gremmy would need to make KENPACHI think about HIS OWN SWORD turning into cookies... which Kenpachi is too bullheaded to do, unlike Yachiru. So instead of making Kenpachi imagine he's weaker offensively, Gremmy has to imagine that he himself is stronger defensively! :eng101:

EDIT: \/\/\/

Because his power only works if he's imagining a clearly-defined object or substance. Meaning that he has to know EXACTLY what he's changing something into on a realistic level, not just a theoretical or hypothetical one.

In this case, that means he has to know exactly what kind of material Kenpachi couldn't cut, and then imagine that his body is that material. If he doesn't know the exact identity of the material, though, then he can't manifest it, because his brain has no idea what to manifest.

Make sense?

No, it seems to work both ways. He seems to have imagined up the other guy Yachiru was fighting entirely. This is a weird power that Kubo isn't going to fully explore because Kenpachi is just going to bisect this dude before too long.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Make sense?

Yes, I suppose that does make sense! It basically boils down to a childrens' playground game-type situation. "Bang! I shoot you!" "No, because I had bulletproof armor." "But I still kill you, because it's an armor piercing bullet!" "No you don't, because--" Etc.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
At first I was thinking, "Imagination...Kenny has none."

But then....

Then, I thought about it. And shuddered.

If there's one thing I wouldn't want to dive into, it would be the imagination of a psychotic mass murderer.
I hope this manga gets dark. REAL dark, as it dives into Kenny's imagination.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

See above post.

Also the reason he was able to lift the ground they were both standing on is because he (Gremmy) is standing on that ground too, so lifting up the ground is something that would affect him (Gremmy) directly.

Of course, that stuff I posted above also means that Gremmy couldn't really have killed Kensei and Rose, because to do so, he would have needed them both to be awake and conscious enough to manipulate their own imaginations into believing that they were dead/killed... unless he could manipulate their coma dreams or something, which he apparently can't.

... However, I get the sense that, even if Kensei and Rose WERE conscious, there are limitations as to how far Gremmy's power can go. He can't make somebody manifest something that would cause their brain to cease functioning if they imagined it... in other words, he can't kill somebody by just making them imagine that they're dead, or he would've tried to do that to Yachiru and Isane a long time ago. He also can't just get someone to think that their blood has been replaced with cyanide, because that would also destroy the brain if it were to be manifest. He can spit into someone's mouth and make them think it's deadly batrachotoxin, but only if he can get them to agree in their minds that it's deadly batrachotoxin.

Amazing how you can somehow imagine all this up out of like 4 lines of bad, poorly translated dialogue. The guy's power works however the cool poo poo Kubo wants to draw requires it to work, and the actually manga hasn't given it any more detail than that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shugojin posted:

No, it seems to work both ways. He seems to have imagined up the other guy Yachiru was fighting entirely. This is a weird power that Kubo isn't going to fully explore because Kenpachi is just going to bisect this dude before too long.

That might just be a different power of his altogether. Thus one that would be bound by somewhat different (but still very limited) rules.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 19, 2014

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
And what about Yachiru's arm breaking without her even knowing about the cookie thing yet?
Just filling in gaps with conjecture doesn't explain it.

All we know at this point is that this dude can turn his fantasy into reality.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, I suppose that does make sense! It basically boils down to a childrens' playground game-type situation. "Bang! I shoot you!" "No, because I had bulletproof armor." "But I still kill you, because it's an armor piercing bullet!" "No you don't, because--" Etc.

Except the other kid actually has a gun.
And isn't a kid.
And the bulletproof kid is too stubborn to admit hes dead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, you guys are trying to figure out how a power works in Bleach. As if Kubo gives a poo poo about that. He just needs a guy to be a believable enough threat to pump Kenpachi up before he loses to the YWACH.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

Haha, you guys are trying to figure out how a power works in Bleach. As if Kubo gives a poo poo about that. He just needs a guy to be a believable enough threat to pump Kenpachi up before he loses to the YWACH.

Hey, I can totally both craft wild theories about this power while knowing I won't get an explanation before a dude gets murdered. Don't tell me I can't. :colbert:

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

He was only slashed in the shoulder, people. Fight is totally not done. I have feeling Koobs might make Gremmy press Kenpachi a little bit to kind of expose his new depths of power/ability.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Poor Isane. Her only characterization is being unsure of her self and sad and this will only make things worse. Also she isn't half the healer Unohana is, which really puts Soul Society in a bind for the future.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe in a few decades time when Orihime dies she can be Isane's new captain. She might not be of any use in this life anymore, but maybe in the next one?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best thing Orihime could do is die both in the real world and then immediately afterwards again in the spirit world so she never shows up again.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Isn't it a bit early to have this fight? Seems like the logical progression after this would move up to the Boss Area.

Is Bleach doing a Sequence Break?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I feel like there are going to need to be more bad guys introduced if Kubo wants most of the good guys to get a fight. Aren't there still like 15 known bankais that haven't even been shown? That isn't even counting how character like Ichigo, Rukia, and Kenpachi will most likely fight multiple times.

Maybe Kubo will do a Kubo thing and start having sternritter show up with umlaut letters. Or maybe he will just copy FKT and have Yhwach solo SS when all the sternritter die.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

slev posted:

I feel like there are going to need to be more bad guys introduced if Kubo wants most of the good guys to get a fight. Aren't there still like 15 known bankais that haven't even been shown? That isn't even counting how character like Ichigo, Rukia, and Kenpachi will most likely fight multiple times.

Maybe Kubo will do a Kubo thing and start having sternritter show up with umlaut letters. Or maybe he will just copy FKT and have Yhwach solo SS when all the sternritter die.

Bleach at this point has become a to-do list of superpowers, gotta get all the bankais shown and then wrap the show up. Multiple shinigami will probably have their bankais job against a single sternritter a la Rose. Renji and Rukia aren't getting poo poo because they're not really characters anymore but girl with ice powers and guy with monkey powers.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

IronicDongz posted:

The best thing Orihime could do is die both in the real world and then immediately afterwards again in the spirit world so she never shows up again.

I'm glad this never panned out. It threw me for a loop when I first read this, god know how many years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of Bleach and sometimes marathon through the first and this page has always stood out to me.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

So, I guess next week Imagination Ritter will have some sort of bullshit advantage over Kenpachi,
The week after that, Kenpachi will win regardless, and he won't appear again before the arc is over.

Then it's back to Captain Ice Midget or whoever.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Next chapter: The stunning conclusion to Kenpachi vs. Germy, the boy with the big imagination.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Say Nothing posted:

Next chapter: The stunning conclusion to Kenpachi vs. Germy, the boy with the big imagination.

This week, on a very special episode of Bleach: Kenpachi meets kills a small boy with a big heart.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mulderman posted:

And what about Yachiru's arm breaking without her even knowing about the cookie thing yet?
Just filling in gaps with conjecture doesn't explain it.

All we know at this point is that this dude can turn his fantasy into reality.

I just went back to check and you're right... Her arm doesn't start breaking until after Gremmy touches her hand. So apparently his power has a shortcut if he's touching his opponent physically.

Good catch.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I just went back to check and you're right... Her arm doesn't start breaking until after Gremmy touches her hand. So apparently his power has a shortcut if he's touching his opponent physically.

Good catch.

So that means he could now imagine Kenpachi's sword as being very brittle or made of soft serve or something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd be okay with that if it led to Kenpachi just loving punching him right in his dumb face

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A sword made out of cookies seems like an appropriate handicap. Kenpachi will just be upset that he hadn't thought of it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Omglosser posted:

So that means he could now imagine Kenpachi's sword as being very brittle or made of soft serve or something.

I still think a soft serve sword would still cut anything in ken's hands

• Locked thread