Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gargoyle posted:

In Onondaga County, New York we have an Enhanced 911 center that has a CAD (Computer assisted Dispatch) which is obviously common to everyone everywhere.

No it's not. We have a phone number to call affixed to the garage door that goes straight to the department pages. We don't have a 911 system where I live. You have an emergency? Hope you can remember the three different numbers.

Gargoyle posted:

I am curious, though. Everybody is using the Motorola XTS 2500 Digital Radios... Right? Digital Trunking came into my county in like, 2008-2009ish. What other radio systems other then Low-Band do departments use? the 800 system?

We actually do have the Motorola XTS 2500s, surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any NYC goons on duty today? I'm killing time in the city.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

dexter6 posted:

Any NYC goons on duty today? I'm killing time in the city.

Sorry, nope. Was supposed to be, but I got my birthday weekend off :toot:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
I... I have found nirvana. My previous department was full of hardasses in the rank and file. This new one doesn't care so much as long as you do the job and do it well. My mind was loving blown. I just had my first drill with them tonight and it just blew my mind the differences between how they treated drill and my old department treated it.

Don't get me wrong, you always need to have the hardasses around in one way or another. But, there's a mile-wide difference between that and how my old department ran everything. They scared off 50 volunteers in a period of 2 years before I got there. Guys who had been there for years. And that's just a 50 volunteer difference in the period 2-3 years before I got there and when I joined up. They had gotten new ones in the meantime.

I have had all the officers here that I've interacted with, except for one (and the chiefs) tell me to stop calling them sir whenever I have talked with them. It's seriously night and day in the overall organizational attitude. My old department and the way they treated volunteers nearly burned me out on the career. This though? Something completely different and I love it again.

To all of you out there in lovely departments in one way or another: There are better ones out there. You just need to find them.

Edit: All I can really say, is that my love of firefighting is back, baby. :unsmith:

windshipper fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 5, 2014

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Some career departments absolutely hate volunteers and there's nothing you can do to change that. Especially in departments that were once all career and had to lay off guys and hire volunteers to maintain adequate staffing while staying within the budget.

I was only required to do the "yes sir" and "no sir" thing while in the academy, and that was only if certain people were watching. Most of our instructors didn't give two shits about it.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Reminalt posted:

Some career departments absolutely hate volunteers and there's nothing you can do to change that. Especially in departments that were once all career and had to lay off guys and hire volunteers to maintain adequate staffing while staying within the budget.

I was only required to do the "yes sir" and "no sir" thing while in the academy, and that was only if certain people were watching. Most of our instructors didn't give two shits about it.

The worst part... This department was founded as a volunteer department. It was still mostly volunteer until those 2-3 years before I got there. About 3-4 years ago they got a new Chief. That Chief made the move to make it more of a career based department. When they were interviewing chiefs, one of the guys brought on didn't think a mostly volunteer department could work until he was on scene at a house fire and they had guys constantly showing up in huge numbers. To the point where they had to tone out that they no longer needed man power.

I have heard stories about that hiring process that brought him to that department. It was all kinds of hosed up. They turned down a guy who very obviously wanted to be at that department who had gone through all sorts of special training, had a ton of experience and knowledge, and who vastly respected how the department had been run. They turned him down because he just, "didn't have the right feel for (city/town name)." After they hired the new chief, they went from 75 volunteers down to about 20 in a period of about a year and a half. It then was whittled away down to 12 when I was brought on along with 5 other guys.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Those fire fighters are also the ones who are angry because they want to work only fire and not EMS.

You don't need a ladder truck, you need a time machine.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.statter911.com/2014/03/05/fake-firefighter-ordered-2nd-alarm-refused-come-roof-burning-portsmouth-nh-building/

I can't imagine laddering a roof to rescue someone, then have that person demand that I hand them a hose line when I got up there. :shepface:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Those fire fighters are also the ones who are angry because they want to work only fire and not EMS.

You don't need a ladder truck, you need a time machine.

And yet 80% of the calls in that city are EMS calls. The average per day is low, as it's a small city (>30k), but it's still about 8-10 calls a day.

:laffo:

EMS rules, and I won't hear otherwise. Fire is fun as hell, but it's not the majority of the job anymore in most places- unless you have a separate company/association/department that runs EMS for you.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Just finished a 2.5 month detail to the truck company in my house (a part of probation is crossing the floor to get hands on experience with the other company) and I'm seriously considering just transferring in the next few months. I'd love a first due nozzle job while I'm in the engine, but I'm not in the busiest area for fire duty and how long do I wait for that first due job? The truck on the other hand gets a lot more chances for hands on stuff and at fires where only the first due engine sees work multiple trucks get to do stuff because we often have to search/clear multiple floors on large high-rises.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

senor punk posted:

Just finished a 2.5 month detail to the truck company in my house (a part of probation is crossing the floor to get hands on experience with the other company) and I'm seriously considering just transferring in the next few months. I'd love a first due nozzle job while I'm in the engine, but I'm not in the busiest area for fire duty and how long do I wait for that first due job? The truck on the other hand gets a lot more chances for hands on stuff and at fires where only the first due engine sees work multiple trucks get to do stuff because we often have to search/clear multiple floors on large high-rises.

Doooo iiiiiiiiit.

No seriously, do it.

Edit: More tools, better tools, more and better fun.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Nozzle or nothin'.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

senor punk posted:

From one full-time union guy to another, nobody ever asks you at the end of your career how many calls you ran. You're in the FDNY, I guarantee you'll see and do cool stuff over the course of your career.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

smooth.operator posted:

From one full-time union guy to another, nobody ever asks you at the end of your career how many calls you ran. You're in the FDNY, I guarantee you'll see and do cool stuff over the course of your career.

Of course, however the nozzle position is almost never given to people that aren't in that engine company. So once you leave an engine your chances of getting the nozzle at a fire are relatively low. As it is it's tough to get that chance because there aren't as many fires as there used to be and if you aren't first due you often don't get poo poo.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Boston 2xLODD Dispatch+Mayday traffic.
I know we've all heard tons of mayday traffic and seen crazy videos, but this is some of the worst audio I've ever heard. 33's BEGS for water for a very very long time and doesn't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbnKWpzMCE

For reference, here's a Boston 9th alarm run card:

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
That's so hard to listen to.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It sounds like the last outgoing Mayday traffic happens around the 15:10 mark. At 34:39 they confirm there's still firefighters unaccounted for in the basement, at about 35:05 the search is called off and everyone is pulled out. The worst part is someone mentioning hearing a PASS alarm at 35:12 and being told that they are not to go back into the building; that has to be a lovely feeling.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Goddamn that's hard to hear. I don't know enough about how other places run, I am really interested to learn what happened here. Did they go in without a line or with the line uncharged? They called to charge the line initially, but I don't understand why an engine company would make entry without a line in place. Were they on search? Did they just not have enough water?

I mean, Jesus. And I feel so badly for IC telling people they can't go back in for fallen brothers. I mean, yeah, they're probably already gone, in one of the last mayday messages you can hear the vibralert going off, but still that's terrible to have to basically write two guys off as lost.

What a lovely thing all around.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

:stare: This loving rescue (I recommend muting it though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

I'm pretty sure I would have poo poo my gear if I was that guy on the top of the ladder.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The preliminary investigation is saying 33's hose line probably burned through. At what point does that become a significant risk? I know hose lines aren't fireproofed, but at what temperature does it start to fail? I'm guessing in the 500-600F range but is there a known quantity here?

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
I'm curious to find out how they ended up passing fire or having it behind them. That's a definite bad place to be in.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
I'm wondering if the 4th firefighter entering from the basement turned what was a ventilation-limited fire into a full on inferno. Why leave your job of securing the water line? Why not just radio what the bystander told you to your crew already in the structure? I know it's lovely to armchair-quarterback after the fact but to me it seems like these deaths may have been preventable.

Article on Ventilation-Limited Fires: http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-166/issue-7/features/ventilation-limited-fires-in-residential-buildings.html

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Ironsights posted:

I'm pretty sure I would have poo poo my gear if I was that guy on the top of the ladder.

That is loving crazy.

The construction worker hanging off the ledge and swinging down to the other balcony was hard to watch.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

smooth.operator posted:

I'm wondering if the 4th firefighter entering from the basement turned what was a ventilation-limited fire into a full on inferno. Why leave your job of securing the water line? Why not just radio what the bystander told you to your crew already in the structure? I know it's lovely to armchair-quarterback after the fact but to me it seems like these deaths may have been preventable.

Article on Ventilation-Limited Fires: http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-166/issue-7/features/ventilation-limited-fires-in-residential-buildings.html

Is there a link that talks about what the 4th firefighter did, or did you figure it out from the audio? I'm not used to the clipped dialogue so I couldn't pick up that. Even if the entry door was shut as much as possible, that still leaves a 3-5 inch gap for the wind to blow through. Where was the third firefighter?

In my department, the minimum crew is 2 firefighters, one driver and one officer. The officer and a firefighter go in with a 1 3/4 line with the second firefighter helping set up water supply and/or helping pull the line through the entry door. Officers job is to read heat with an exposed hand ahead of the nozzle. My departments standard right now is 100 gpm but several captains are pushing for 150 gpm, which I agree with.

I hope someone recorded the initial incident for future training. I definitely agree that these deaths were preventable. Anyone know what hand line length/size/gpm and scba bottles Boston uses?

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

The Gardenator posted:

Is there a link that talks about what the 4th firefighter did, or did you figure it out from the audio? I'm not used to the clipped dialogue so I couldn't pick up that. Even if the entry door was shut as much as possible, that still leaves a 3-5 inch gap for the wind to blow through. Where was the third firefighter?

In my department, the minimum crew is 2 firefighters, one driver and one officer. The officer and a firefighter go in with a 1 3/4 line with the second firefighter helping set up water supply and/or helping pull the line through the entry door. Officers job is to read heat with an exposed hand ahead of the nozzle. My departments standard right now is 100 gpm but several captains are pushing for 150 gpm, which I agree with.

I hope someone recorded the initial incident for future training. I definitely agree that these deaths were preventable. Anyone know what hand line length/size/gpm and scba bottles Boston uses?

This article breaks down what happened: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/27/when-routine-turns-crisis/VciKjCDUWGZbp8saE1jWGM/story.html

Firefighters that got trapped, Walsh & Kennedy went in. Keith hit the hydrant, Evans was the pump operator.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ironsights posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Muting the audio wasn't necessary for me, I was saying the same things as that woman in my head anyway. I feel like I need a cigarette after watching that, holy gently caress. :shepface:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Got my first "on call" injury yesterday, a candidate got a bit eager with the spreaders on a simple extraction and now i have to fractures in my left arm, and 8-12 weeks of admin duty in front of me.

but listening to that comsrecording from boston sort of put things in perspective. poor bastards.

if i wasent high as a kite on pain meds i would probably need a stiff one after listening to that.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Shamelessly stolen from funny pictures thread in PYF.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Problem: DAUGHTER FINGER STUCK Patient Number: 1 Chief Complaint: Traumatic Injuries (Specific) 7-year-old, Female, Conscious, Breathing. Dispatch CAD Code: 30A01 Response Text: INJ Determinant Level: NOT DANGEROUS body area KQ: The injury is to a NOT DANGEROUS area. KQ: She is completely alert (responding appropriately). FINGER STUCK IN EASY BAKE OVEN NOT ON DOOR IS OPEN AND THEY ARE UPSTAIRS ON THE SECOND FLOOR REQUESTING RESUCE ENGINE

Oh god I hope they used the spreaders.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Problem: DAUGHTER FINGER STUCK Patient Number: 1 Chief Complaint: Traumatic Injuries (Specific) 7-year-old, Female, Conscious, Breathing. Dispatch CAD Code: 30A01 Response Text: INJ Determinant Level: NOT DANGEROUS body area KQ: The injury is to a NOT DANGEROUS area. KQ: She is completely alert (responding appropriately). FINGER STUCK IN EASY BAKE OVEN NOT ON DOOR IS OPEN AND THEY ARE UPSTAIRS ON THE SECOND FLOOR REQUESTING RESUCE ENGINE

Circ saw all the way

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

Laughed way too hard at the thought of this...

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Nothing a sawzall won't fix.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Ironsights posted:

Nothing a sawzall won't fix.

I will always advocate for use of the circ saw. :colbert:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

windshipper posted:

I will always advocate for use of the circ saw. :colbert:

There are few problems that can't be fixed with a sledgehammer.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Like getting a K-12 blade out of a guardrail.

That sure was expensive.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

:patriot:

So true.

Hommando posted:

Like getting a K-12 blade out of a guardrail.

That sure was expensive.

I think it's story time!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

windshipper posted:

:patriot:

So true.

I think it's story time!

I still eagerly await this story.

Also just finished the training for my redcard. Can't wait for summer to come.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well I can add "airplane" to the list of things I've lifted.

We had a chain sling in the front and back and used airbags to lift the back end a couple inches off the ground. Had a real scare when one of the airbags kicked out and flew a couple feet. Other than that small mishap, one of the cooler training sessions I've had in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
After two years on the eligible list for my city and six months of residency/background checks I have my first board interview in front of members of city fire, personnel, and legal department in two weeks! I have been reading Paul Lepore's "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview" and am keeping a notebook of thoughts and responses, as well as practicing question and answers with friends and family. Any other suggestions for getting through the board interview process?

• Locked thread