Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Grab the dsfix mod: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

It allows you to make a few tweaks to the graphical settings that aren't otherwise possible like what resolution it renders at. It does a good job explaining everything so it shouldn't be too intimidating. Just make sure to disable AA in the game's option's menu. DSFix includes its own, better AA and stacking them makes the game freak out.

Emptyquoting this because the next question after installind DSFix would surely be "huh why is my viewport only 1/4rd of the screen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pneub posted:

Aside from not doing that? No.

Yeah, Bioshock 2 is not a bad game at all.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Anything useful for Batman: Arkham Origins?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Anything for the Devil May Cry HD Collection? Besides DMC2 being horrible apparently. The only similar game I've played is the new DmC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything for the Devil May Cry HD Collection? Besides DMC2 being horrible apparently. The only similar game I've played is the new DmC.

DMC 3 is by far the best on that set. DMC 1 is rough around the edges in a lot of ways and doesn't have the mechanical improvements introduced in 2 and cleaned up in 3. DMC2 is bad but has lots of neat little things in it mechanics wise but is so bad you won't care after about 2 levels.

Important DMC 3 note; Choose Gold mode when prompted. Yellow means death makes you restart a mission and using a yellow orb takes you back to a room beginning while Gold death means you start back at the point where you died and using a yellow orb resurrects you on the spot.

Otherwise; Score is important to earning more orbs but unlike DmC it isn't calculated on raw damage. This means you have to work your combos by varying the weapons and moves you preform. While you can beat the game by just using basic and repetitive techniques you'll get less orbs if you do so.

Enemies aren't only susceptible to a specific type of weapon; therefore feel free to pick weapons that suit your style.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just started Tales of Symphonia (PS3 version, if that makes any difference). Am I right in thinking that the major part of the EX system is the Compound skills, and that, for the most part, the regular skills are just a nice bonus? Also, should I be aiming to have each rank in each slot by the end of the game?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I just started Tales of Symphonia (PS3 version, if that makes any difference). Am I right in thinking that the major part of the EX system is the Compound skills, and that, for the most part, the regular skills are just a nice bonus? Also, should I be aiming to have each rank in each slot by the end of the game?

In general aiming for a good compound skill takes priority iver the individual Ex Skills, but a lot of the most useful EX skills tend be used for the compound skills anyways (Speed Cast, for example). You get enough Level 1 and 2 gems to just put them on people without thinking.

In general, most of a characters best compound skills will require something like 4/4/3/3 or something close to that, so one of each type isn't reccomended (excluding Colette). I would personally say casters have the most to benefit from good skills, so they should probably get the new gems first.

Except for one compound skill for Colette, you'll probably stop using the Level 1 EX gems after a while. Level 2 gems are useful if you like a characters 'Personal' skill as well.

The game never shows you what compound ex skills you can get until you fight one battle with it equipped, which makes figuring them out annoying, so I would say to feel free to look at a guide on this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have anything for Anno 2070? I've never played an Anno game or really much like it before, and I'm not even sure what type of round to start with :saddowns:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The campaign is the tutorial pretty much.
Outside of that the most important thing is: Disable automatic upgrading. You can find this in the town center.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have anything for Anno 2070? I've never played an Anno game or really much like it before, and I'm not even sure what type of round to start with :saddowns:

Depots and warehouses on an island all access the same storage space, so if an iron mine deposits iron ore in one depot, then an iron smelter can pull that same iron ore out of a different depot. No need to connect all your stuff together with roads, as long as each building has a road to a depot, you're good.

Also be aware that each building comes with exactly one truck which it uses to pick up the goods it needs to function. So that iron smelter will use its truck to collect iron ore and coal from your depot. However, each building only uses its truck to collect the things it NEEDS, not to unload the things it PRODUCES. The depot will use its own truck to collect the refined iron from the smelter. What this means is that if you have one depot collecting from several production buildings, that one truck can get pretty overloaded, and your factories shut down since they're clogged with goods waiting to be offloaded. As your population reaches higher tiers, you can upgrade the depot (select it and press "u") to give it additional trucks, or else just connect more depots to the same road network. Trucks also move faster on advanced road types (Highways, Green Boulevards, Banes Avenues, etc.) so if your factories aren't running at 100%, and you've got plenty of the goods they need to function, it's probably an overloaded infrastructure that's to blame. All advanced road types give trucks the same speed bonus, so just pick based on aesthetics. (trucks pass through each other so don't worry about traffic jams)

Also if you select a boat that is near a warehouse and press the hotkey "l" the boat will unload all its cargo into the warehouse. This hotkey doesn't show up on the UI or get mentioned in the campaign, so a lot of people don't realize it exists. You can also queue up an unload command by holding down shift, same as how you queue up movement commands. It's pretty useful if you need to dump a load of construction materials on a distant island but don't want to micromanage your boat. Just queue up the move, the unload, and the return trip, then go do something else and your boat will take care of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the info, both of you. I'll start on the campaign later tonight. Is it pretty thorough as far as introducing mechanics?

Couple other questions on what you posted, is there any other difference between warehouses and depots besides "one is coastal, the other isn't"? Also, why should I disable automatic upgrading?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Anything useful for Batman: Arkham Origins?

Just responding since no one else did. Not really, it doesn't "do" anything other Arkham games havent so youll get in the groove pretty quick. Only change is they somehow messed with the timing window so if you suck at first don't feel too bad, youll get it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ciaphas posted:

Also, why should I disable automatic upgrading?
If you let your subjects upgrade by themselves you can run into 3 things:
- If your citizens upgrade too fast they will drain your supply of new goods and once those are unavailable they become unhappy again.
- You can't control where they upgrade, this makes efficient city expansion more annoying.
- Your tools/wood/concrete/glass/etc get used up and it's hard to save up for other building projects.

All in all you want to be in control, so disable automatic upgrading.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mzbundifund posted:

Depots and warehouses on an island all access the same storage space, so if an iron mine deposits iron ore in one depot, then an iron smelter can pull that same iron ore out of a different depot. No need to connect all your stuff together with roads, as long as each building has a road to a depot, you're good.

Also be aware that each building comes with exactly one truck which it uses to pick up the goods it needs to function. So that iron smelter will use its truck to collect iron ore and coal from your depot. However, each building only uses its truck to collect the things it NEEDS, not to unload the things it PRODUCES. The depot will use its own truck to collect the refined iron from the smelter. What this means is that if you have one depot collecting from several production buildings, that one truck can get pretty overloaded, and your factories shut down since they're clogged with goods waiting to be offloaded. As your population reaches higher tiers, you can upgrade the depot (select it and press "u") to give it additional trucks, or else just connect more depots to the same road network. Trucks also move faster on advanced road types (Highways, Green Boulevards, Banes Avenues, etc.) so if your factories aren't running at 100%, and you've got plenty of the goods they need to function, it's probably an overloaded infrastructure that's to blame. All advanced road types give trucks the same speed bonus, so just pick based on aesthetics. (trucks pass through each other so don't worry about traffic jams)

Also if you select a boat that is near a warehouse and press the hotkey "l" the boat will unload all its cargo into the warehouse. This hotkey doesn't show up on the UI or get mentioned in the campaign, so a lot of people don't realize it exists. You can also queue up an unload command by holding down shift, same as how you queue up movement commands. It's pretty useful if you need to dump a load of construction materials on a distant island but don't want to micromanage your boat. Just queue up the move, the unload, and the return trip, then go do something else and your boat will take care of it.

Connecting a depot to the initial dock on an island provides 1 free cargo transport, I believe.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Final Fantasy X/X2 HD? It's been 10 years since I played either one of these things, and all I remember is HA HA HA HA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kruller posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy X/X2 HD? It's been 10 years since I played either one of these things, and all I remember is HA HA HA HA.

Do the Destruction Sphere puzzles as you go through the temples, because otherwise you'll have a hard-as-hell bonus boss in the way of some of them if you try for a return trip towards the end of the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Related to the EX system- unless they changed it between versions, don't bother buying EX gems from the Katz Klub or whatever it's called. You don't get enough GRADE to make it anywhere near a fair deal, and by the late game you should have a respectable pile of EX gems left over unless you're really fickle about what gems are on who. Plus you have to save that GRADE for all the sweet New Game+ bonuses, one of which is importing all your equipped and/or stockpiled gems to a new game anyway :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kruller posted:

Make sure to in every fight or at the very least in every boss battle switch in each character to perform one action before swapping them back out. XP is determined only by who participated not what their impact was and everyone earns the same amount. If one battle gives 1000 xp every character who participated earns 1000 xp regardless of how many that was.

The Advanced Sphere Grid allows characters to go down whatever path you choose from the outset. This seems like a huge boon but many abilities (like armor pierce or magic up) are bound to weapons that only certain characters get because those were their roles in the vanilla game so they will simply always be sub-optimal at other roles so if you want every edge and aren't sure what you're doing it can be a bit of a trap. In addition if you're an obsessive min-maxer the Advanced Grid has less nodes meaning your stat cap is lower.

There is a mandatory Kimhari solo battle late in the game. Don't worry, though, this boss battle scales to Kimhari power so even if you've never used him you can absolutely beat this fight.

Poison is insanely, ridiculously damaging. Cure that ASAP. Conversely, certain bosses like Seymour are vulnerable to poison and this absolutely wrecks them.

The Yunalesca fight which brickwalls many a player is actually completely gameable. If you finish the monster collection quest in calm lands you'll get 60 of an item that, if you have 60, can be fused to an item to prevent death. In the area just before Yunalesca the zombie enemies have a steal that if you gather enough gives an item zombie protection. Fuse both to an armor piece for your favorite character and just let them auto-battle Yunalesca straight into the dirt. I like slapping it on Auron because it seems appropriate.

Grab the treasure chest from behind Yunalesca after you've beaten her. If you don't get it then and wait to come back later your will be kicking yourself when a superboss takes up residence in front of it.

The first time you are in Besaid and leaving, talk to the dog. It has a unique extra overdrive for your starting Aeon something that will never happen again in the game so who knows why this one does it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the info, both of you. I'll start on the campaign later tonight. Is it pretty thorough as far as introducing mechanics?

Couple other questions on what you posted, is there any other difference between warehouses and depots besides "one is coastal, the other isn't"? Also, why should I disable automatic upgrading?

Warehouses are a little different in that they come with one road truck as usual, as well as a flying truck that doesn't require roads. Upgrading the warehouse gives additional road trucks but they only ever get the one flying truck. Upgrading a depot to tier 3 gives it a flying truck too, if you've bought the depot upgrade with Super Uplay Achievement Points! You'll get plenty of points by finishing the campaign. Also friendly NPCs will sometimes send a boat to your warehouse to trade. You can only ever have one warehouse on an island so don't really worry about it. It sort of designates that spot as your Primary Dock. You can build auxiliary docks once you tech up a bit.

You should disable automatic upgrading because upgrading a house from tier 1 to tier 2 requires 1 tool. You can't produce your own tools until you have at least one tier 2 house. Building the tool-production facilities also require some tools. So if you don't turn off automatic upgrading, then as soon as you have the requirements to hit tier 2, your populace will happily grab all your tools to upgrade their houses, leaving you to shamefacedly buy more from the NPCs or from your Ark at high cost. So just manually upgrade one house, get your tool production up and running, THEN you can turn auto-upgrading back on and not worry about it.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 20, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Since all of the wiki page bodies appear to be empty, had someone else check it also, anything on Wizardry 8

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

madpanda posted:

Since all of the wiki page bodies appear to be empty, had someone else check it also, anything on Wizardry 8
It seems to be some sort of rendering bug. Just hit the "View Source" button and you'll be able to see all of the text.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've read the wiki, but just to be extra-cautious, anything about Dragon Age: Origins beyond what's covered there?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've read the wiki, but just to be extra-cautious, anything about Dragon Age: Origins beyond what's covered there?

Don't do the dwarf section first. It's a very long slog through undergound tunnels, and killed my enjoyment of the game the first time. When you're stronger, things die faster and the entire section goes by faster. It's not a bad section, it's just very samey.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone else having trouble with the wiki displaying just the titles?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Checked with Chrome, and yup. Only getting titles.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

You're right, guys. Titles only.

There's a bunch of errors in the error log, so I'm going to contact my hosting company and hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

I certainly haven't made any changes to the MediaWiki installation.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

madpanda posted:

Arnika Road, where you end up after getting out of the first monastery, is one of the hardest areas in the game (for the levels). Curiously, it's also significantly harder when you're overlevelled rather than underlevelled, so if you can keep your party members at level 5 and never level them to 6 or beyond, you'd actually have an easier time getting past and into the first town, where you have many options.

In either case, remember you can try to sneak past and run from all them monsters.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 21, 2014

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Turns out older versions of MediaWiki had a problem with newer version of Perl Regex. Or something to that effect.

I've updated the wiki software, and now everything appears to be working.

http://www.beforeiplay.com - if anyone wasn't aware we had a wiki.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Centipeed posted:

You're right, guys. Titles only.

There's a bunch of errors in the error log, so I'm going to contact my hosting company and hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

I certainly haven't made any changes to the MediaWiki installation.

Do you want a more flexible place to host it? I'd be more than happy to cover a Linode for it, it's a great resource.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lizard Wizard posted:

While we're doing this:

Any first-time modding? Stuff like respecs, improved tactics, bug fixes, that fifth-party-member-slot-for-your-dog mod I've heard about, etc.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do you want a more flexible place to host it? I'd be more than happy to cover a Linode for it, it's a great resource.

That's a generous offer, but it's never given me any trouble before this (Aside from some down-time problems early on that were fixed).

So I think it should be fine!

In case anyone is curious, the site gets about 15,000 visits a month (10,000 unique).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Male Man posted:

While we're doing this:

Any first-time modding? Stuff like respecs, improved tactics, bug fixes, that fifth-party-member-slot-for-your-dog mod I've heard about, etc.
All of the above. You've mentioned the respec and dog mods, which I think are mandatory. Lock-bash will save you a great deal of aggravation. I never had much use for tactics (being the pause micro-manage type) but that could be useful if wanted to let the party do their own thing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Xander77 posted:

All of the above. You've mentioned the respec and dog mods, which I think are mandatory. Lock-bash will save you a great deal of aggravation. I never had much use for tactics (being the pause micro-manage type) but that could be useful if wanted to let the party do their own thing.

Given that the DA:O thread fell into the archives ages ago, is there any place I could look for a Total Idiot's Guide to Modding Dragon Age? Specifically, is there a halfway decent mod manager?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Centipeed posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com - if anyone wasn't aware we had a wiki.

This should really be in the OP. Speaking of which, a new thread would be nice. While it's not 100% needed, I think it would cut back on some of the fat.

Edit: VVV oh god dammit, ignore me. I swore there wasn't a link to it. :bang:

Edit2: content

Dark Souls 2

You can fast climb up ladders.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

This should really be in the OP. Speaking of which, a new thread would be nice. While it's not 100% needed, I think it would cut back on some of the fat.

There's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk, but it's literally the first line of the op (in bold (and italics (and caps lock (with two exclamation marks at the end(:))))))

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kruller posted:

Early-ish in the game when you're on a boat at night heading towards wherever the blitzball tournament is and tidus is being emo about :qq: MY MEAN DAD :qq: there's a minigame where you can unlock a move that trivializes the Blitzball minigame. You only get one attempt at it at that point in the game - you get the opportunity to retry freely much later in the game.

Doing well in blitzball is the only way to get one of the ultimate weapons, so if you care at all about that bullshit, you'll probably want to save and retry that minigame until you get that move.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Doing well in Blitzball is also the only way to get Wakka's Overdrive supermoves, which is one of the keys to beating the optional JRPG Super Bosses without tearing out your hair.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Holy poo poo, HD FF10?!? I'm way out of the loop these days.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
AND FF10-2! It's a pretty good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Looks like I have some Blitzball to play, gentleman.