Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I have one of the plastic Jinhao 599s. I like the weight and built quality, but the nib was the most misaligned of any of my Chinese pens.

It writes pretty okay after a hour of adjustment.

Don't let this dissuade you from paying ~5 USD for one, it's very likely you will receive a nib more in line with Jinhao's relatively decent quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Lord Girlyman posted:

I have one of the plastic Jinhao 599s. I like the weight and built quality, but the nib was the most misaligned of any of my Chinese pens.

It writes pretty okay after a hour of adjustment.

Don't let this dissuade you from paying ~5 USD for one, it's very likely you will receive a nib more in line with Jinhao's relatively decent quality.

If the 359 was $5 I'd recommend it unabashedly, it'd be a good deal. It's fifteen from isellpens, Asia based sellers might have them cheaper.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Not by much. I've never seen a 359 under 10 dollars.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I'm not sure if i can search this thread for the answer but how is BSB with the Vac700? It was in my Noodler's Creeper flex but I went on vacation and came back to have everything dry up in it. But, that seems to be a problem with the creeper.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After buying two Pilot Parallels and a stub nib for my Diamond 530, I only want to write with stub nibs. Not sure how I wound up liking them so much as for quite a while I only wanted the finest tips possible. Anyway, who other than TWSBI makes nice stub/italic nibbed pens?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Thank you! I think I will get a jinhao Lamy knockoff and a pilot metropolitan in the near future then :D

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

powderific posted:

After buying two Pilot Parallels and a stub nib for my Diamond 530, I only want to write with stub nibs. Not sure how I wound up liking them so much as for quite a while I only wanted the finest tips possible. Anyway, who other than TWSBI makes nice stub/italic nibbed pens?

I have a Goulet #6 1.1m stub on my Vac 700. Anything that takes a #6 nib works with it. It's great.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

powderific posted:

What are you willing to spend? I finally pulled the trigger on an Edison pen with a 1.5 stub and I absolutely love it. I'm also a big fan of my italix pens, though they're a sharp italic rather than a stub.
You can also go with Lamy (though I have no experience with their stub nibs) or Pilot - I really love my metro that I swapped a plumix nib on to.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

powderific posted:

I'm very happy so far with my Monteverde 1.1 stub, I keep it on my Intima.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sonatinas posted:

I'm not sure if i can search this thread for the answer but how is BSB with the Vac700? It was in my Noodler's Creeper flex but I went on vacation and came back to have everything dry up in it. But, that seems to be a problem with the creeper.

I've used it several times, but I have noticed some lubrication issues afterwards. It was fine for the most part, and a little rubbing alcohol goes a long way in cleaning it up.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

powderific posted:

The Plumix is like $10. Other than that, there's a Platinum with a music nib. They're a little wetter than a typical stub, and smoother to write with:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_3776_Fountain_Pen_Black_Gold_Century_MU_p/plat-pnbm-20000-1-mu.htm

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with the above nibs in comparison to the TWSBI stubs? I'm curious about how the Goulet stub compares since I was considering just buying a TWSBI stub for my Vac700. I'm most interested in the MonteVerde since I've been eyeing the Invincia Deluxe anyway, but I think I'd like to stay with the 1.5mm size. I don't care for the look of the Edisons at all. The Platinum Music pen, while intriguing, is a bit out of my price range.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just ordered a TWSBI Diamond 580 Rose Gold with a 1.1 stub nib, and I'm super excited to get it.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I can't seem to get my Goulet nib to play nicely with my TWSBI, but I think that was partially due to the feed being under-saturated. I'll keep playing.

Is the Lamy Al-Star worth $40? I love the color of the LE model, but I'm not convinced. I love the way my inexpensive Pilot pens write, nice and juicy. I'm worried Lamy will be scratchy in comparison, especially the 1.1 stub I'd order.

Finally, I've heard the Goulet folks will ink test your pen/nib before shipping if you ask them to. What is the advantage to this, what exactly do they do, and is it worthwhile?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

milpreve posted:

Is the Lamy Al-Star worth $40? I love the color of the LE model, but I'm not convinced. I love the way my inexpensive Pilot pens write, nice and juicy. I'm worried Lamy will be scratchy in comparison, especially the 1.1 stub I'd order.

Looks like the Al-Star is just an aluminum-bodied version of the Safari - I just bought one a week ago or so and I absolutely love mine. If you're looking for function, it has an awesome clip, is shaped to feel really nice in the hand, feels sturdy, and writes wonderfully. That's just my experience.

milpreve posted:

Finally, I've heard the Goulet folks will ink test your pen/nib before shipping if you ask them to. What is the advantage to this, what exactly do they do, and is it worthwhile?

I would imagine that would just involve running a little ink through to check for line flow. Especially with some of the Taiwanese pens, the nibs can be hit-or-miss, so I would definitely want them to test something before sending it to me. I didn't know they did that though!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

powderific posted:

Whaaat, the Pelikan Epoch is one of my favorite writing pens ever. Shame that mine's all busted up and repairs would cost more than just buying another one. It is totally a personal thing though—I feel like my Lamy 2000 is the best writing pen I own, but it's actually easier for me to write legibly with a slightly scratchier nib.

I forgot that I had a Lamy 2000** :haw: - I put some Parker Quink into it yesterday and forgot how amazingly it writes.

** to be fair, I moved a while back after going on a pen-buying spree, and boxed up most of my pens before I moved. I just unpacked them last night to look at them all and clean them.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any suggestions for a cheapish (under 50, the lower the better) pen with a nice music nib?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rio posted:

Any suggestions for a cheapish (under 50, the lower the better) pen with a nice music nib?

For $8, pick up a Pilot Plumix / Pluminix. If you live in the States, you can get one at Target.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Maybe I got a dud plumix but I hated mine. So dry and hard to start.

As for goulet vs twsbi stub, I bought a goulet 1.1 for my 700 1.1 because I thought it was too dry. The goulet nib was wetter but then I switched inks (from I don't know to the iroshozuki horsetail or however you spell it.) and wound up switching back to the twsbi because it was so wet. All in all I like the goulet nibs and run them on my Ahab now.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I gave up on my search for the perfect blue-black (it's Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, but it can't be imported to the US anymore and whatever some Japanese seller shipped to me is not the same) and am now totally getting into greys. So far, I love Montblanc Oyster Grey (a chalky pencil lead kind if grey) and Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun (a very pale, low opacity blue-grey). What do I want next?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kiri-same for a true grey with just the slightest tinge of red (sounds weird, I know, but you'll see.)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
How do the generic Pilot/Namiki (not iroshizuku) hold up in terms of behavior, flow, "wetness", drying, waterproofness, etc.?
Also how do they compare to the iroshizuku ones?

I am trying to find a good black and blue back that works well on cheap paper to use at the office and am trying to branch out from the noodlers ones (which I use almost exclusively).

Currently experimenting with Waterman, but somewhat underwhelmed. Any other suggestions?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

wodan22 posted:

How do the generic Pilot/Namiki (not iroshizuku) hold up in terms of behavior, flow, "wetness", drying, waterproofness, etc.?
Also how do they compare to the iroshizuku ones?

I am trying to find a good black and blue back that works well on cheap paper to use at the office and am trying to branch out from the noodlers ones (which I use almost exclusively).

Currently experimenting with Waterman, but somewhat underwhelmed. Any other suggestions?

Black Pilot cartridge in Pilot Kaküno was fine re: behavior, flow, feathering, and drying, but I couldn't wait to use it up to refill it with COLORS!

I liked Private Reserve for rich colors and generally good behavior. They have some nice blacks and blues.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I liked the blue cartridge that came with my... Plumix?

It was the best looking standard blue cartridge I've had, though it did bleed a bit on super cheap paper.

It went on to serve me well in its afterlife. As the ink unit in the Hero 616 I Frankensteined into taking pilot cartridges.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lamy blue cartridges are actually a pretty nice color. It's just a basic blue, but it's really vibrant and bright.

Of course, I only got them because I wanted to see if they'd fit my Estie, and they did (sort of), but then I got my hands on an actual Esterbrook cartridge.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Isellpens has a closeout sale on all remaining Lamy products.

All of the fountain pens are sold out, but you can still get a nib for $4 or a bottle of ink for $5. Or, you know, a safari rollerball (if you're into that kind of thing).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone know the difference in the "updated" Pilot Metropolitan line?

Old: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Writing-Fountain-91107/dp/B009X9Z2FW/
New: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Collection-Fountain-91118/dp/B00FACM57E/

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Goddamnit, goons! It is all your fault.

I now have Safari Al-Star in matte black with a converter, Iroshizuki Tsukiyo, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite, and a wide assortment of fine stationary on the way. My 15 year addiction to shaky and Graphgear pencils has just gone to the next level.

(I am so excited! Thank you!)
If I like this stuff I will order a Pilot 92 Custom Heritage demonstrator!

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

dexefiend posted:

Goddamnit, goons! It is all your fault.

I now have Safari Al-Star in matte black with a converter, Iroshizuki Tsukiyo, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite, and a wide assortment of fine stationary on the way. My 15 year addiction to shaky and Graphgear pencils has just gone to the next level.
am so excited! Thank you!)
If I like this stuff I will order a Pilot 92 Custom Heritage demonstrator!

It's a slippery slope. I started out with a Lamy Safari and a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa.

Now I've got more pens than there are days of the week. Inks wise I've got 10+ bottles sitting there because the only ink I really use are my Sailor Nano inks and the iroshizuku Kon-peki. All the other inks are just for messing around with.

Lamy Safari: not even once.

Edit: a noodler's Konrad just came! My writing sucks but we need a return of handwritten replies:

Thelonious Monk fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 23, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just wrote with a ballpoint pen for the first time after writing with only a fountain pen for two months.

It felt like writing with a loving crayon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just wrote with a ballpoint pen for the first time after writing with only a fountain pen for two months.

Must have had a good ballpoint then.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is me every time I have to take an order at work with one of those lovely blue Bics because I left my LJ at home.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The two times I have to use a ballpoint at work make me feel like an idiot. My handwriting turns to poo poo, half the time I don't use enough pressure and the lines look like poo poo, and they're skinnier than my fountain pens so I grip them awkwardly. Having to press through carbon paper is a crap shoot for me now. :saddowns:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I keep a ballpoint in my bag that's similar in size to my fountain pens. :ssh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got my TWSBI Diamond 580 Rose Gold in today, and it's... really pretty.

The picture doesn't do it justice. The gold has a rose/red tint to it that's really unique. I thought I had picked the 1.1 stub nib, but I guess I accidentally picked fine - I'm okay with that, but it is a little scratchy so far.

I picked up a bottle of J. Herbin Terre de Feu with it, and I'm pleased with it. Really smooth, and a nice rich brown color. I get tired of writing in black :)

And finally, a 24-pen carrying case since right now I just have all my pens scattered around my house and my office. Eventually I'll take a picture of my collection, even though I only have 12 or so fountain pens.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Can ink expire or go bad? I have some lovely lamy blue ink thats going on 2 years old that I barely use because it's so watery. I don't want to get rid of it because I like having a blue and black pen, but with how infrequently I use it I don't want it to go bad.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Joe Videogames posted:

Can ink expire or go bad? I have some lovely lamy blue ink thats going on 2 years old that I barely use because it's so watery. I don't want to get rid of it because I like having a blue and black pen, but with how infrequently I use it I don't want it to go bad.

Ink can and will go moldy if you store it poorly or it gets contaminated.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Kessel posted:

Ink can and will go moldy if you store it poorly or it gets contaminated.

It's been sitting in a shaded area. Ah well I might as well just buy some more noodlers blue ink.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

It's been sitting in a shaded area. Ah well I might as well just buy some more noodlers blue ink.

Depends on whether it was stored open or not, too. I have a jar of Tsuki-Yo that I neglected for several months on a shelf and aside from ink gluing the cap shut requiring pliers to open, it's just fine.

That said, you should just buy new ink because why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Ink can go bad, but it's due to a few different factors.
  • How is it being stored?
  • How much preservative went into it when it was being made?
  • Do you ever pour old ink back into the bottle?
  • Is it exposed to excessive heat or sunlight?

I have seen bottles of ink go moldy in a month because they're lovely inks with inadequate preservation. On the other hand, I have a bottle of ink in my possession from the 1960s that was an ordinary working ink and it still works a dream. Your ink will be fine, just keep it out of direct sunlight and never, ever pour any ink back into the bottle, even if you didn't put it in a pen or if it's just been in a pen for a couple of days.