Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think that in order to open candidacy for a position in the club you should provide a proof of Welsh... citizenship? residence? whatever those sheepshaggers use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpicySchnitzel
Feb 13, 2014
BCBA seems like a good approach.

Also, you should sell your Austrian youths sooner rather than later. The only aspect of football we're good at is disappointing everyone. Trust me, I know.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wanna be Chairman. Or a board member.

Or something...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DOOP posted:

I wanna be Chairman. Or a board member.

Or something...

Chairman is nifty enough that I'll hold a contest for it, since we're replacing Sky Shadowing. I am leaning towards holding a mini-election in the thread. I'll force people to use Condorcet voting! Total polisci nerdgasm!

When it comes to directors it's really for my sanity that I'm doing first come first serve. I don't want to have to comb through 1500 posts to see who I added when and who didn't get picked and thus have first dibs on dorfing naming. Feel free to point out if anyone is double dipping, though, I have a general idea of who's been a director but I might slip up and some unfaithful git gets named twice. The bounty for catching those curs is being named as director yourself (though if you've already been named in the past the same rule applies, someone else can kick you out via tattling).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As the resident StarScream, its obviously MY turn to lead the Dragons to victory and mass embezzlement. :colbert:

(Poor Sky Shadowing, just as we reach that massive Premier League money)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My leadership got us here, it's completely unfair that I don't get to embezzle any of this sweet sweet cash! :qq:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

As an American I feel a kinship with Scott Brown and I feel that I am uniquely qualified to keep him (working for peanuts) excited to be at wrexham. I promise to keep season ticket prices at reasonable levels to gouge the away supporters coming to the racecourse ground and keep embezzlement at manageable levels.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

My leadership got us here, it's completely unfair that I don't get to embezzle any of this sweet sweet cash! :qq:

You're telling me you didn't have keys made for all the team facilities and haven't copied all the various codes and PINs for the club accounts? You don't deserve that money, you lower league swindler! We're looking for a higher class of scum, the type who has the City money-men on the phone before they're even elected trying to see how they can sell an over the counter credit default swap on any debt the club incurs while actively trying to drive the club into administration.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sky Shadowing is likely to stay on the board anyways, isn't he? Just not as head of it

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Yo, clearly Wrexham need some street cred, and I bring that to the game, with my handily placed 'yo' at the start of the sentence. Director me up in this place. :dukedog:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
"Yo" only belongs at the beginning of a sentence if you're Andrew Dice Clay. Humans put it at the end of the sentence. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Humans put it at the end of the sentence, yo. :colbert:

Fixed that for you. But to be perfectly clear, I'm not taking a directors list right now. They will be first come first serve. The chairman position will be voted on at a later date when we get to the autumn of 2019.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

You're telling me you didn't have keys made for all the team facilities and haven't copied all the various codes and PINs for the club accounts? You don't deserve that money, you lower league swindler! We're looking for a higher class of scum, the type who has the City money-men on the phone before they're even elected trying to see how they can sell an over the counter credit default swap on any debt the club incurs while actively trying to drive the club into administration.

Do you think I'm an amateur? :colbert: Of course I have all that stuff! I said embezzle, not steal. There's a difference, you know.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I promise to float the club on the stock market as a private company and put the proceeds in mortgage mutual funds!

Vote Tory (or don't, please don't). :stare:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Awesome , I had to do a bit of catchup but sooo worth it. Never thought we'd be in the PL already!

Votes : CBBB

but if you can take Tackleford as a feeder club, do so.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
With Wrexham in the PL, the time has once again come for a tiny club beginning with 'W' to terrorise the big teams, pull off upsets, burn their new players underwear, and generally annoy the piss out of everyone. All we need is to find a bollocks-grabbing thug and we're good to go - get to it, scout team!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Yo" only belongs at the beginning of a sentence if you're Andrew Dice Clay. Humans put it at the end of the sentence. :colbert:

Yo Adrian Zeroisanumber :colbert:

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Does this game let you actually watch the football matches, or is it all just sort of generated and you get a result spat out at you?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Or if you're a pirate:

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sudoku posted:

Does this game let you actually watch the football matches, or is it all just sort of generated and you get a result spat out at you?

You can watch every single moment of the games. The ingame engine looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQIzoQlLKE. You have the ability to substitute, change your instructions and strategy, and the like, but you can't actually control your players on the field. You can also speed up or slow down, and pause, the match as it progresses. I tend to run through the games pretty quickly, but I know people who spend 20-30 minutes per match fine tuning tactics as they go.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Sudoku posted:

You can watch matches in full 3d glory, you have been able to for the past 7-8 iterations of the game iirc.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

You can watch every single moment of the games.

I remember the first time I watched a full match. It was CM4, when they'd just introduced the 2D match engine.

:ughh:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

kingturnip posted:

I remember the first time I watched a full match. It was CM4, when they'd just introduced the 2D match engine.

:ughh:

I started playing back when it was called Championship Manager and it went back to the 97-98 seasons. I am still really bad at the game. :negative: before it was way less detailed and it had no training, no specific tactics other than the usual formations/captains/who to take free kicks and corners plus all commentary was just a bar of text which flashed when you scored or conceded a goal.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I think I started playing football manager games when Dalle Valle was still the most wonder of wonderkids.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
drat, you've got me remembering my first wonderkid. Good 'ole Freddy Adu, hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years since the first Football Manager game... (since the CM/FM split, which was when I got into the game)

sulovilen
May 6, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

I think I started playing football manager games when Dalle Valle was still the most wonder of wonderkids.

You mean Lauri Dalla Valle, the Finnish-Italian wunderkind? He was supposed to be the next Jari Litmanen, but the kid wants to represent Italy instead on the national level. Too bad he's not good enough for them :mmmhmm:. His dad is a mushroom farmer!

Nowadays the Finns have high hopes for two strikers: Teemu Pukki who plays for Celtic and Joel Pohjanpalo (who currently is playing in 2. Bundesliga team VfR Aalen).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

sulovilen posted:

Nowadays the Finns have high hopes for two strikers: Teemu Pukki who plays for Celtic and Joel Pohjanpalo (who currently is playing in 2. Bundesliga team VfR Aalen).

Hah, yeah. Good luck with that Finns.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

beru04 posted:

drat, you've got me remembering my first wonderkid. Good 'ole Freddy Adu, hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years since the first Football Manager game... (since the CM/FM split, which was when I got into the game)
Starting new games of ChampMan 01/02 and immediately buying Samba, Van der Vaart and Saviola are some of my fondest video game memroies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Interlude: “The God-King in Wales Speaks”
May 19, 2019

(The following is an excerpt from a feature interview with Wrexham manager Scott Brown)

By Connor Watkin

It was drizzling as I drove into Wrexham last week. It's always drizzling in Wrexham, in all my trips to the small town near the border with England I seldom saw a ray of sunshine. But as I drove into the town centre, I noticed that despite the incessant sprinkling from the heavens not a soul on the streets looked anything other than elated.

That's no surprise, the natives have every reason to be ecstatic right now thanks to the ray of sunshine that is their local football club. Over the last five years a miraculous transformation has occurred. As I park in the lot near the recently renovated Racecourse Grounds stadium, I can't help but be awestruck by the changes wrought in just half a decade by a mad Yank with a gleam in his eye and fire in his gut.

Scott Brown will become the first American to ever coach in the Barclay's Premier League next season. He's guided the Red Dragons to heights the club has never seen before in it's hundred and fifty-five year history, bringing this town nestled in the hills of North Wales top division football for the first time despite the club's claim to being the third oldest professional squad in the world. He must be in the short kist for greatest American coach in history, which is not meant as a slight against him but instead an impressive feat for a man who admittedly had never coached so much as a youth team prior to turning thirty years old.

I walked into the offices at the stadium, much expanded and updated from when the club languished outside of the Football League in the Conference National. It buzzed with activity, another change from those doldrum days. But Brown's office remains unchanged since his arrival at the club in October of 2014, a small room with a desk with two uncomfortable chairs arrayed on each side. The one change for the moment is that he sits, dressed resplendent in American baseball apparel from the Red Socks franchise of his former hometown of Boston, on a large round ball as he gazes intently at his laptablet.

What follows is a condensed version of our conversation, which lasted late into the evening and continued at the Turf, perambulated to the Wrexham Lager Social Club, extended to Horse and Jockey, sidled through the Old Vaults, jaunted onwards to the Golden Lion, crossed the street to The Royal Oak, and came blessedly to an end in heavy inebriation on the part of your correspondent at the Nags Head. At each public house the coach was feted by punters chanting “God-King in Wales” after the styling given to him by The Dragonz Lair (a local supporter's podcast), and climbing over their fellow drinkers to buy this Yankee import a brew, and at each pub the bartenders reached into a refrigerator to deliver a chilled, brutally hopped, and highly alcoholic beer to the man of the past five years. I am grateful for my recorder, as I otherwise could never have fully recollected all the topics touched upon over the hours.

: I wanted to offer again my sincerest congratulations, your accomplishments here are nothing less than unprecedented.

: Well, that's really something coming from you, you wily dog. But thank you. I'm still a bit in shock myself, I always believed that our team had the quality to hang with the Championship teams, but to earn promotion in just one year is remarkable.

: I'm sure you've been asked this more times than you can count, but how did you do it?

: I've said over and over, youth is our strength and our way forward. Just look at what Scott Shirra did for us over the home stretch. He's come an incredible way from just two years ago when we signed him from Falkirk. He had three goals and an assist that final month, none better than the one that put us up on Sunderland.

: But that can't be the only thing-

: It's a large part of our success. Just look at Chris Todd, he also showed his quality when we most needed it this season, and he was the first of my signings when I arrived at Wrexham.

: A lot of players stepped up this year, especially when Stinky Pete (Pete Elliot, the Australian National Team's manager) called up Meteor for a full third of our season to beat on Laos.

: I recall you were quite irritated at that.

: Indeed. I think if anything it hurts the Australians for the future, their players will be less popular in the top leagues if Australia makes a habit of calling up their best for long, insignificant tournaments. That will stunt their growth, and they won't even be able to make the World Cup.

: Speaking of Mateo Mujkic, how confident are you about keeping him at the club. He's been a special player for you over the last two years.

: I'm positive he'll stay with us. His contract runs for the next three years and I have every intention of keeping him with us. We're not done yet, and I know Mateo wants to play at the highest level of football in the world.

: If you mean the Europa League-

: I mean the Champion's League.

: Don't you think that's a bit ambitious? There's six or seven clubs already fighting for the four spots and they all have vastly more financial resources.

: I just won back to back to back promotions. I've won three Manager of the Year awards in a row. I've raised this club four leagues in five years. I've done it all while on a budget half that our closest competitors. Do you really doubt me?

: No, just-

: It will take a few years, but we will get there. And Meteor will be with us when we arrive.

: That's interesting, as you've been an unsentimental man when it comes to letting players go. As you rise through the ranks, what happens to players like Michael Coulson and Justin Bailey who have been excellent servants to the club during your tenure?

: Well, I can officially say that Justin will be back with us next season. I also proffered a contract to Michael, but he's chosen to move on. I'm disappointed to see him go, and I know the fans will be as well.

: What do you say to the people who say that Bailey doesn't have the skills to play at the next level?

: Those geniuses were saying Bailey couldn't play at the League One level. Bailey may look like a Honda next to a Lamborghini at the next level, but the lad had eight assists as a part time player. I have full faith that he'll still be a useful member of the team in the future. You said I was unsentimental, would I have brought him back if I didn't believe that?

: I guess not. What about your captain, Stuart Simpson? He's another player that many say won't rate in the Premier League.

: Simpson is a pro's pro. He knows what he has to do. I made him captain for a reason, and that's because he always does what's best for the team. He'll keep doing that. Likewise, I'm sure Harrison knows what he has to do to be a force at the best level. But he's still faster than almost anyone on a Premier League pitch, and speed kills.

: (At this point in the night I was not at my best, I've cleaned up my questions as best I could. It should be noted that Brown was still quite lucid) Are there any players you wish hadn't gotten away?

: At Wrexham? No. Tony Price was tired of the game and retired after he left us.

: Luke Reid was getting old, and even he would admit that he was hot blooded.

: Stuart Martin has had a decent career, but Poole was just as good for us as he was.

: And don't even get me started on Nsangou. I was happy to offload him to Tackleford.

: And that brings us to Tackleford. You still bitter about your ouster?

: Look, no one likes being sacked. It's especially galling when you get sacked for merely losing two games in a row. And it does warm the cockles of my heart that they're flailing in League One despite all that Cadbury money, while we've left them in the dust. But if I'd never been fired, I'd never have come to Wrexham and we'd never have this story here. In all, it was a lucky turn of fate. And these days our players are just as good or better than the likes of Rosetti and Duchamps. I'm grateful for Yuri Kropotkin for giving me my start as a manager, and he died too soon. But I don't miss Tackleford one whit. They can watch us and imagine what it might have been like to have me as manager.

: You don't miss anyfin' from that squad?

: I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Stuart Mair. I'm impressed with the young player he's grown into. Have you seen recent shots of him? He's what the bros in America call swole. That's impressive considering what a rail think lad he was when he came to us. I also keep in touch with Sam Edwards, who was better with the ball on a throw-in than anyone I've ever seen. He's doing well, living in London with his kids.

: You lot play a very uptempo, attacking game. How's that going to serve when you're at Old Trafford or the Emirates?

: It's something I've been thinking about. The other coaches and I have already started working out how to best play our game while not getting completely undone at the back. I think you might see us playing five centrebacks, or start working on a 4-4-1-1 to give our fullbacks some support, especially as our worst breakdowns this last year came from mistakes made by our fullbacks not minding their defensive duties.

At this point, I felt that I must make my exit, before embarrassing myself. As I proceeded to my accommodations, Coach Brown was being carried to the next pub on the shoulders of a crowd of men in Wrexham shirts bearing the names of Harrison, Mujkic, Simpson, Bailey, and more. They were chanting a new song about their adopted lord of Wales.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 21, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

All of those pubs are real places in Wrexham, they're all within a mile walk, and most of that walk is from the Racecourse Grounds to the center of town.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Wow, I appreciate the research you put into this. Sadly ~*my immersion*~ was killed when you mentioned Ironworks. Only tossers and twats go there, Brown would never be caught dead in a place like that :v:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

Wow, I appreciate the research you put into this. Sadly ~*my immersion*~ was killed when you mentioned Ironworks. Only tossers and twats go there, Brown would never be caught dead in a place like that :v:

I was wondering if I had picked any crap bars. What should I replace it with?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Somewhere not in Wales I imagine. :allears:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

habeasdorkus posted:

Plenty of home supporters end up starting at the Wrexham Lager Social Club... cheap, local beer helps. Can't beat a quick pint at the Railway. Also, can't forget the Old Vaults if you like mingling with the local wanna be hardasses. TRAVELLER'S TIP: If your team happens to be playing Away against Wrexham, DO NOT go to the Old Vaults. If you are from Chester, DO NOT go to the Old Vaults. For the love of God, do not go there if you're from Chester, and it's a Derby day. Seriously. You will get glassed. It is the type of place that'd worship Brown like a prince, however.

I imagine in this universe, you can replace "Chester" with "Tackleford."

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 21, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brony Hunter posted:

Brown was pretty drunk by the time he got there and probably decided to give it a shot and see if the rumors were true.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

Plenty of home supporters end up starting at the Wrexham Lager Social Club... cheap, local beer helps. Can't beat a quick pint at the Railway. Also, can't forget the Old Vaults if you like mingling with the local wanna be hardasses. TRAVELLER'S TIP: If your team happens to be playing Away against Wrexham, DO NOT go to the Old Vaults. If you are from Chester, DO NOT go to the Old Vaults. For the love of God, do not go there if you're from Chester, and it's a Derby day. Seriously. You will get glassed. It is the type of place that'd worship Brown like a prince, however.

I imagine in this universe, you can replace "Chester" with "Tackleford."

We've still got a rivalry with Chester, I try to remember to schedule friendlies with them to keep the Cross Border Derby alive.

Updated the interlude with your suggestions, I appreciate the local knowledge :)

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

habeasdorkus posted:

We've still got a rivalry with Chester, I try to remember to schedule friendlies with them to keep the Cross Border Derby alive.

Updated the interlude with your suggestions, I appreciate the local knowledge :)

Just promise me you'll beat Man United. That's all I ask. (Personal reasons, from when I was a schoolboy in the 90s)

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Brony Hunter posted:

Just promise me you'll beat Man United. That's all I ask. (Personal reasons, from when I was a schoolboy in the 90s)

Let's face it, everyone hates Manchester United, even Manchester United fans this season.

Personally, I want you to poo poo all over Liverpool and Arsenal.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My irrational football grudge is with whichever team Harry Redknapp is managing this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

A Tartan Tory posted:

Let's face it, everyone hates Manchester United, even Manchester United fans this season.

Personally, I want you to poo poo all over Liverpool and Arsenal.

Hell, just murder your way through the Premier League, taking one scalp at a time :getin:

• Locked thread