Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

I got the impression they pretty much orchestrated the vast majority of the actions that led to the freeing and, uh, disposal of the Crippled God. They saw what was all going to happen and set all of this in motion with subtle behind the scenes manipulations. Of course, I'm sure they have other plans as well...

The Forkrul Assail are just kind of lovely assholes and gently caress them.

Right. I got that. But did they free him with the knife? Absorb his power? What was their actual endgame here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

Right. I got that. But did they free him with the knife? Absorb his power? What was their actual endgame here?

Nobody knows! Its great!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Actually the title of the series shows that we do know what happened.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen: Get used to spoiler tags

I seriously think I'm going to re-read this thread when I finally get through Book 10. Too many words, indeed.

I do appreciate that many characters don't resort to brute force at the first opportunity, though these same characters are often quite tragic.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen: Get used to spoiler tags

I seriously think I'm going to re-read this thread when I finally get through Book 10. Too many words, indeed.

I do appreciate that many characters don't resort to brute force at the first opportunity, though these same characters are often quite tragic.

I just started mine. Already picking up new things I missed. Also, not skimming anything at all. This series has become my favorite and there is so much still left to be explained/wrtiten about!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

nucleicmaxid posted:

The former. I thought it was explained in the book.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Nothing is ever explained

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

I'd love to see some quotes that explain this. Because I really don't think it was.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

This came up a few pages ago but it is implied in a few places that the Crippled God is supposed to be (at least an analog for) our world's Jehovah, dragged to Wu by Kallor's bullshit. There are various references to this and it fits in with his later, restored character. If you choose to read it this way, then it is clear that Cotillion was freeing him because like Ethiser noted, the Crippled God was the one who promised to write The Malazan Book of the Fallen in the text of the series. I might be overinterpreting what Erikson was going for here but I think it fits a theme that Tolkien and Jordan both used in linking their fantasies directly to our world in some way rather than having them be completely alien.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I keep wondering about the tech levels in the books. How advanced are the Malazan and Letherii compared to each other? I know the K'chain Che'malle and the First Empire had some pretty crazy magitech equipment at their command.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

amuayse posted:

I keep wondering about the tech levels in the books. How advanced are the Malazan and Letherii compared to each other? I know the K'chain Che'malle and the First Empire had some pretty crazy magitech equipment at their command.

The most complicated piece of nonmagical technology developed or used by either empire seems to be either the crossbow or Moranth munitions, or maybe the gas grid in Darujhistan, unless I'm misremembering something. The Letherii have a fairly advanced economic system, and both sides (e: especially the Letherii) have some pretty crazy good forging technology, but I don't think steam power or electricity are anything more than mad alchemists' dreams.

Neither the Malazans or the Letherii have much in terms of "magitech", at least not in the same sense as the lizard wizards. The biggest differences between the two, at least militarily, are the training philosophy and tactical prowess of the Malazan soldiers and the more refined warrens of magic as opposed to the Letherii holds.

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 12, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Icarium seemed to have tech and building knowledge that was much higher than the current civilizations of the books.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

savinhill posted:

Icarium seemed to have tech and building knowledge that was much higher than the current civilizations of the books.

Icarium is basically Leonardo da Vinci + The Hulk.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

savinhill posted:

Sure, he learned it from the lizards.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So I'm coming to the end of Reaper's Gale. Am I correct that Tool and Onrack are brothers-in-law? Also, I found Toc the Younger's story arc a bit of a letdown in the end. Am I missing something, or is an overriding theme here futility?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

So I'm coming to the end of Reaper's Gale. Am I correct that Tool and Onrack are brothers-in-law? Also, I found Toc the Younger's story arc a bit of a letdown in the end. Am I missing something, or is an overriding theme here futility?

Toc: Toc gave his life to successfully save a group of children from being murdered. That isn't really a futile moment.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Am I missing something, or is an overriding theme here futility?

No, only Tool thinks about futility.

;)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Toc's arc isn't completely over either

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Am I missing something, or is an overriding theme here futility?

yes and yes

also i think tool and onrack are more like eskimo brothers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

They're as brother-in-laws as it can get without marriage being a thing. Kilava is Tool's sister.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Talk about an uncomfortable vegas shotgun wedding

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Wasn't Onrack married to the Whirlwind Goddess? What drove her insane was him cheating on her with Kilava. (Crippled God, sorta spoiler) I can't remember if they end up together at the end. If so, then they're brothers-in-law at that point, but not before.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The last few chapters of The Crippled God are just too much. This is the first expansive series I've seen through to the end and man, some of the stuff that's happening is just brutal. Can't wait to wrap it up though, I have no doubts about Erikson's ability to end it well.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
edit: unnecessary

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 14, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

amuayse posted:

The Malazans are in the process of conquering every continent on the planet with precise explosives and political brilliance and by managing an army of insect aeroplanes. The Letherii haven't worked out how to ride horses properly. I always thought of them as vaguely equivalent until the scene in Reaper's Gale where the two ships meet, where iirc a single Malazan mage annihilates a cadre of Letherii mages like it's nothing. I found it hilarious because I was building up to this big superpower showdown in my head and they just get swatted down like loving flies.

It was kind of like that misdirect in House of Chains where based on the previous books you're expecting it to build up to this complex web of betrayals and murders where there are ten sides to the story, and instead Karsa reappears and murders everybody on every side of every conflict and all the other subplots just end prematurely because Karsa.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well, he did have a list to tend to :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
drat, I just realized something. The Crippled God's plan of creating as much suffering as possible actually sort of makes sense now considering he wanted to create the mother of all convergences. Ascendants are usually created in an environment of extreme strife and suffering, so he just wanted to accelerate that process greatly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I always thought of them as vaguely equivalent until the scene in Reaper's Gale where the two ships meet, where iirc a single Malazan mage annihilates a cadre of Letherii mages like it's nothing. I found it hilarious because I was building up to this big superpower showdown in my head and they just get swatted down like loving flies.

Bonehunters. Quick Ben(with some help) versus the Tiste Edur warlocks, and I don't think he annihilates them as much as he just shows them precisely how much poo poo they just got themselves into.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It was an illusion, he was hosed if they pressed the attack and he even admits it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was under the impression that it started out as an illusion until Bottle and his friend 'helped' Ben with it, at which point it became rather more than an illusion.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Bottle helped make it look more real, but it was still an illusion.

Quick Ben says:
'That was a Hood-damned illusion. Thank the gods cowering in their outhouses right now that the idiots swallowed the hook – but listen, it wasn't just that. I had help. And then I had help!'

And Bottle had to go clean up because the Eres'al or whatever made him cream himself and it was her that was helping I think.

Edit: Rereading it seems to say that it started as an illusion, but then became something extra when he got the 2nd helper. He never goes on about what because he has to talk to the Adjunct.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2014

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Okay finally finished, great series.

But what the heck happened?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

drat, I just realized something. The Crippled God's plan of creating as much suffering as possible actually sort of makes sense now considering he wanted to create the mother of all convergences. Ascendants are usually created in an environment of extreme strife and suffering, so he just wanted to accelerate that process greatly.

I don't know if that's the case. He was broken up into pieces, of which some retained individual awareness, that didn't necessarily work together or toward similar goals (eg: the Lady on Korel). We're told over and over that because he suffers, he wants to make others suffer, but nothing I recall suggests his intent to torment convergences. More than anything, the mother of all convergences appears to have been the brainchild of ST/Cotillion. And in fact, there is an exchange in TCG (though, presumably takes place shortly after the plan is formulated) where ST lays out to TCG their plan and intent to free him, so I get the impression that he was more a passenger with regard to that convergence than anything else.

e: spoilers added

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah the Crippled God really ends up being a pawn in the whole thing more than orchestrating poo poo. Specifically mentioned in Dust of Dreams how there were several plans by ascendants to usurp his power, blah blah blah. He causes some poo poo but doesn't end up being the big baddy in the whole story

e: Cotillion and Shadow Throne's whole plan I believe was to prevent other ascendants and gods from following through on their plans of taking the Crippled Gods power and upsetting the balance of power, blah blah. At least that's how I remember it

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2014

Outpulse
Feb 11, 2009
Is the first book really supposed to suck this much or what's happening here?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's written 10 years before the second book and is the weakest because of it.

I still enjoyed though, it's a YMMV thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The first book is pretty meh, but #2 and #3 are pretty much completely loving awesome.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Outpulse posted:

Is the first book really supposed to suck this much or what's happening here?

No. It must be you. :colbert:

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

If you don't like GotM you probably suck, but you might enjoy the rest of the series anyway! FWIW I had trouble getting into Deadhouse Gates because of how different it was from GotM which I really enjoyed. Most people (they suck) are the opposite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Months later, I am still enjoying the Caladan Brood album and I am still ashamed of it.