Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any. I'm facing a bit of an unusual situation. You see, I've decided that I'm going to try to scrimp and save, and try to retire early, in about 9 years, at age 43. Every time I try to search for information on things like benefits for retiring early, I only find the usual stuff about "voluntary early retirement" which only kicks in if you are at least 50 with 20 years of creditable service and there's a RIF going around. I won't reach 20 years until ANOTHER 10 years, at age 53, so this does me poo poo all good. I was finally able to figure out basic things like what happens to my sick leave (I'm SOL on it unless I return to federal service later) and my annual leave (it's paid out in a lump sum) only by framing my google search as if I intended to simply leave the public sector for private sector employment.

Clearly, I won't be counting on any sort of pension for supplemental retirement income. As I will have 10 years of creditable service when I separate, I will only secure 10% of my top-3, deferred until I am age 62. So my plan centers around having sufficient investments to live off of the 4% safe withdrawal rate. If possible, I'd like to make tiny strategic withdrawals from TSP a part of this strategy, as the TSP is an untaxed account with infinitessimally small adminstrative overhead. While investment options aren't SUPER robust compared to say investing in index funds, I believe the base funds provide enough flexibility to garner a 4% safe withdrawal rate in keeping with the terms of the Trinity Study, and the aforementioned non-taxed status of these funds and tiny overhead more than make up for the lack of revenue from "riskier" investments.

What I'm not sure about are some of the precise dynamics of making these kinds of withdrawals from TSP. The language I've found only talks about the typical choices of A) withdrawing a lump sum, B) scheduling regular payments based on a life expectancy, or C) purchasing a single/joint life annuity. What I'm REALLY interested in would be something like withdrawing 0.33% of the account once a month, so I'm not sure either of those three options really cut it. C definitely doesn't (life annuities are a rip-off), and B probably doesn't (even if I could frame my life expectency is such a way to equal 4% a year, it wouldn't remain accurate with the fund's growth or inflation over the years). A...might work? The only language I've seen regarding lump sum withdrawals mentions withdrawing either a "full withdrawal" or a "partial withdrawal". So, what I'm interested in is a "partial withdrawal" that happens to equal 0.33% of the sum once every month...but the language makes it sound more like the spirit of a "partial withdrawal" is more like "You've got $200,000 in your account. You can take $100,000 out now, and leave the rest to compound until you're 71 1/2 at which point you withdraw the rest."...but I can't find anything explicitly forbidding what I'm talking about doing either. Anyone have a clue on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Network42 posted:

I recently completed my polygraph for a CBP position, and I'm nervous about it. From what I read it's normal for the examiner to be super negative and badger you about your results during the exam? "I'm seeing a lot of responses to specific questions here", "you're taking very deep breaths after some questions", etc?

I'm the most boring and honest person I know, so I'm not worried I was lying or concealing anything, just want to make sure that's just how these things go I guess? All the google results I find are from antipolygraph.org so I don't take them as the most unbiased source.

My polygrapher made me cry, but then things were totally fine. They basically suck on purpose as far as I can tell.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Justus posted:

What I'm not sure about are some of the precise dynamics of making these kinds of withdrawals from TSP. The language I've found only talks about the typical choices of A) withdrawing a lump sum, B) scheduling regular payments based on a life expectancy, or C) purchasing a single/joint life annuity. What I'm REALLY interested in would be something like withdrawing 0.33% of the account once a month, so I'm not sure either of those three options really cut it. C definitely doesn't (life annuities are a rip-off), and B probably doesn't (even if I could frame my life expectency is such a way to equal 4% a year, it wouldn't remain accurate with the fund's growth or inflation over the years). A...might work? The only language I've seen regarding lump sum withdrawals mentions withdrawing either a "full withdrawal" or a "partial withdrawal". So, what I'm interested in is a "partial withdrawal" that happens to equal 0.33% of the sum once every month...but the language makes it sound more like the spirit of a "partial withdrawal" is more like "You've got $200,000 in your account. You can take $100,000 out now, and leave the rest to compound until you're 71 1/2 at which point you withdraw the rest."...but I can't find anything explicitly forbidding what I'm talking about doing either. Anyone have a clue on this?

A TSP partial withdrawal is a one-time only event. In addition to income tax, your withdrawal would be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

JohnnyHildo posted:

A TSP partial withdrawal is a one-time only event. In addition to income tax, your withdrawal would be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Right, only one partial withdrawal allowed. I finally saw that verbiage. The second one would need to clean the account out. However, all my investments have been Roth. I'm not penalized when I withdraw the principal, but I do take the 10% penalty on the nose on the growth if removed before 59 1/2. The agency matches are traditional, so they work as you say, though I may be able to dodge the 10% at least by rolling the non-penalized parts into a Roth IRA, paying the taxes that year on the agency matching part, and then vesting for five years. I'm still looking into that.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
From a rejection letter:
"Rating Code: Rating Message:
IS You did not obtain a sufficiently high score on the written test."

Is that just USAJobs-speak for "no you don't get the job"? There was no written test. Unless they mean the dumb assessment thing that wants to know if I'm an expert on a bunch of really specific tasks that don't really apply to any other job ever?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

berzerker posted:

From a rejection letter:
"Rating Code: Rating Message:
IS You did not obtain a sufficiently high score on the written test."

Is that just USAJobs-speak for "no you don't get the job"? There was no written test. Unless they mean the dumb assessment thing that wants to know if I'm an expert on a bunch of really specific tasks that don't really apply to any other job ever?

It's probably that part, yeah.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Declan MacManus posted:

It's probably that part, yeah.

Ugh. Guess I could just lie and put 5 for everything and then try to sweet-talk them later on. Shame they don't have an option for "This is a super simple task I would only have to be shown how you want it done once at most, because I have plenty of experience on related stuff, but of course I haven't specifically [checked lie detector tests for information on South Asian immigrant relationships, or whatever other super-specific nonsense]."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

berzerker posted:

Ugh. Guess I could just lie and put 5 for everything and then try to sweet-talk them later on. Shame they don't have an option for "This is a super simple task I would only have to be shown how you want it done once at most, because I have plenty of experience on related stuff, but of course I haven't specifically [checked lie detector tests for information on South Asian immigrant relationships, or whatever other super-specific nonsense]."

Yeah, I've thought about doing it before but I feel dumb lying to the government, and then you don't get interviews and everything is poo poo.

ThePriceJustWentUp
Dec 20, 2013
Got referred to a financial analyst position with the GSA. I know this isn't so much a sure thing, it's just nice to know there is hope in the federal hiring process. Back when I was applying for IT jobs, I got diddly. Here's hoping for a hire without an interview due to my 10 affirmative action points. :laugh:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, I'm curious: how many of you have federal coworkers (miltechs and contractors don't count) under the age of 40? Reason I ask is that I recently read an article talking about how the average age of a federal employee was 56 and, excepting FSOs, at State I knew a grand total of 2 federal employees under the age of 40, both of whom were 24. Here in Afghanistan it seems to be even worse - I've yet to see a DoD/DA/USACE civilian who looks to be under 45.

So that's effectively an entire generation of institutional knowledge that's going to be leaving in the next 10 years with no replacement.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

psydude posted:

So, I'm curious: how many of you have federal coworkers (miltechs and contractors don't count) under the age of 40? Reason I ask is that I recently read an article talking about how the average age of a federal employee was 56 and, excepting FSOs, at State I knew a grand total of 2 federal employees under the age of 40, both of whom were 24. Here in Afghanistan it seems to be even worse - I've yet to see a DoD/DA/USACE civilian who looks to be under 45.

So that's effectively an entire generation of institutional knowledge that's going to be leaving in the next 10 years with no replacement.

A lot at my place, and we're in a hiring cycle right now for more, mostly mid- to late-twenties or early thirties with graduate degrees. But we're somewhat unusual.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 20, 2014

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

psydude posted:

Well I work for the DoD and I'm 34. But I'm definitely on the younger end of things. I've got a couple 27 year old coworkers, a couple of 30 year olds, and then like 150 people older than me, about 100 of which are either eligible for full retirement or will be within three years. It's a giant problem government wide, but especially at the DoD.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I'm a DoD civilian employee, I'm currently 29, and I've been here nearly 8 years. I've had maybe three civilian (non-military, non-contractor) coworkers who aren't old enough to be my parents.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
The silver lining is that institutional knowledge sometimes means "knows how to run terribly broken processes and won't change them." Hopefully some positive changes will come with staff turnover, right?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Not when those processes are basically mandated by Congress.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Justus posted:

You are correct on both counts. 1 page résumés are a good doctrine for private sector (entry level) jobs. For public sector, you wanna fluff em up as much as possible.

GS-5/7 listings are a good place to start if you've got a college degree. GS9 for masters, GS11 for a doctorate.

What kind of jobs would you expect those grade scales to have? What if its just a bachelors?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Nf3 posted:

What kind of jobs would you expect those grade scales to have? What if its just a bachelors?

Just a bachelor's means 5 or 7. 5 if you were a regular student, 7 if you were something of an overachiever (or took a year of graduate school). 5 and 7 are the entry level jobs and you can find any number of different things, but good luck getting in (giant candidate pool)

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Just a bachelor's means 5 or 7. 5 if you were a regular student, 7 if you were something of an overachiever (or took a year of graduate school). 5 and 7 are the entry level jobs and you can find any number of different things, but good luck getting in (giant candidate pool)

I thank my lucky star every day that I qualify for superior academic achievement because GS 5 jobs pay terrible and look boring. Then again, I haven't gotten a job yet so it hasn't really helped me at all.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Stolennosferatu posted:

I thank my lucky star every day that I qualify for superior academic achievement because GS 5 jobs pay terrible and look boring. Then again, I haven't gotten a job yet so it hasn't really helped me at all.

I had superior academic achievement and still had to take a GS-5 job to get in. I'm a 9 now after 2 years, at least, and should get my 11 next year.

As for the under 40 chat, there are 4 people in my division. 3 of them started here as college interns while I transferred into here. I think we are all 24/25-ish. We do have several 70+ employees that plan to retire this year, but the vast majority is 50-60 in my division.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Would a masters in teaching qualify me for a gs9 if the position wasn't related to education? I have some inner city teaching experience and am currently in the peace corps. I plan to apply to a wide variety of jobs using my non competitive eligibility when my service ends.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nf3 posted:

I "just have a bachelors", and I got my entry level government position starting April last year. It's a GS-12 position that is structured as a GS-7 internship with a career ladder. I think those are pretty much the best deal for "just a bachelors". I'm looking forward to my automatic promotion to GS-9 next month, and I'll be a GS-12 in a little over two more years! The best part is that I'm only expected to do a tiny part of the actual work as an "intern", and have a virtual free pass on gently caress-ups until I get the GS-12...not that there's really a lot to gently caress up. For as well as it pays, the job is one of the easiest I've ever had!

e:

laxbro posted:

Would a masters in teaching qualify me for a gs9 if the position wasn't related to education? I have some inner city teaching experience and am currently in the peace corps. I plan to apply to a wide variety of jobs using my non competitive eligibility when my service ends.

Yes, if you also meet the other requirements in the listing.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hey have any of you gotten language tutoring through the gubmint? I've already used Diplomatic Language Services, but I'm looking at using Berlitz this time around. If anyone has experience with their one on one instruction, I would love to hear some feedback.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Justus posted:

I "just have a bachelors", and I got my entry level government position starting April last year. It's a GS-12 position that is structured as a GS-7 internship with a career ladder. I think those are pretty much the best deal for "just a bachelors". I'm looking forward to my automatic promotion to GS-9 next month, and I'll be a GS-12 in a little over two more years! The best part is that I'm only expected to do a tiny part of the actual work as an "intern", and have a virtual free pass on gently caress-ups until I get the GS-12...not that there's really a lot to gently caress up. For as well as it pays, the job is one of the easiest I've ever had!

e:

Yes, if you also meet the other requirements in the listing.

What are those positions called? Is there a standard name for them (like how Pathways means 'recent graduate')?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NintyFresh posted:

I had superior academic achievement and still had to take a GS-5 job to get in. I'm a 9 now after 2 years, at least, and should get my 11 next year.

As for the under 40 chat, there are 4 people in my division. 3 of them started here as college interns while I transferred into here. I think we are all 24/25-ish. We do have several 70+ employees that plan to retire this year, but the vast majority is 50-60 in my division.

To have a shot at any grade you should probably be qualified for two grades above that job if you don't have some sort of inside connection (and even with connections you might still be unable to get a job (thanks for nothing surrogate aunt :()). That, or serve as an intern. Unlike the private sector, the government is actually somewhat keen on hiring their college interns because it's yet another way to get around the screening process and hire young people.

Grumple Munster
Feb 3, 2012

Stolennosferatu posted:

What are those positions called? Is there a standard name for them (like how Pathways means 'recent graduate')?

I am in a program called the Naval Acquisition Development Program (NADP), formerly the Naval Acquisition Intern Program (NAIP). For an entry level position, you come in at a GS-7 or GS-9 and are in the program from 2-3 years. Entry level are usually recent graduates or those who have 1-2 years experience. I have a 2.5 year plan- I started at a GS-7, got my GS-9 after 6 months, will get my GS-11 1 year after my GS-9 promotion, and graduate with a GS-12. Associates, or Journeymen, enter the program at a GS-13 and generally have 5-10 years of experience.

Search "NADP" in the keyword field on USAJOBS.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

psydude posted:

Excluding the horde of contractors that work for USPTO, I'm the youngest employee in my entire office complex at 26. Everybody else in my section is between the 35 to 72 age range. My supervisor pretty much told me that 60% percent of the people in the section will be retiring within 3-5 years, with said supervisor leaving out in 10.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Stolennosferatu posted:

Sadly, there is no standard name. Different agencies offering these kind of career ladders have different names for it. You can generally tell when you've found one if the listing lists a "promotion potential" that is higher than the grade of the listing. For instance, the listing for my job is a GS5/7 with a promotion potential of 12. For what it's worth, I work for the DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) and our program is called the Keystone program.

e: I know that the Air Force has a civilian internship program that's similar called Palace Acquire.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I was hired through Palace Acquire if you have any questions about it.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Justus posted:

Sadly, there is no standard name. Different agencies offering these kind of career ladders have different names for it. You can generally tell when you've found one if the listing lists a "promotion potential" that is higher than the grade of the listing. For instance, the listing for my job is a GS5/7 with a promotion potential of 12. For what it's worth, I work for the DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) and our program is called the Keystone program.

e: I know that the Air Force has a civilian internship program that's similar called Palace Acquire.

Thanks a lot. I'm applying for a couple jobs now that fit me way better than some of the other ones I have been applying to.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

psydude posted:

It's a government everywhere thing, the average age where I work is 54 with 30+ in service which means they can retire now.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Uh goddamn what is the point of having a "Recent Graduates" section if most of those jobs require experience someone who just left school obviously wouldn't have.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

themrguy posted:

Uh goddamn what is the point of having a "Recent Graduates" section if most of those jobs require experience someone who just left school obviously wouldn't have.
I wonder this all the time. I eventually gave up on the "Recent Graduates" listings for this very reason.

Also the "be two+ levels overqualified for a job to have a shot" advice from Declan MacManus seems pretty apt given that the only job I have actually gotten so far is one that I am indeed 2 grades overqualified for.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Has anyone here taken the TSA Airport Assessment test? Was the X-ray part really difficult or do I need to get my eyes checked out?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the culminator posted:

Has anyone here taken the TSA Airport Assessment test? Was the X-ray part really difficult or do I need to get my eyes checked out?

I thought I bombed it but I ended up passing so don't sweat it.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

the culminator posted:

It's somewhat easy. The best advice I can give you is don't go looking for poo poo that isn't there. That is how so many people fail the X-ray part of it. I repeat, if it isn't there, move on to the next image in the slide.

Echodrone
Mar 25, 2014

Grumple Munster posted:

I am in a program called the Naval Acquisition Development Program (NADP), formerly the Naval Acquisition Intern Program (NAIP). For an entry level position, you come in at a GS-7 or GS-9 and are in the program from 2-3 years. Entry level are usually recent graduates or those who have 1-2 years experience. I have a 2.5 year plan- I started at a GS-7, got my GS-9 after 6 months, will get my GS-11 1 year after my GS-9 promotion, and graduate with a GS-12. Associates, or Journeymen, enter the program at a GS-13 and generally have 5-10 years of experience.

Search "NADP" in the keyword field on USAJOBS.

I'm in the same program but on the Wounded Warrior side of the house. They picked me up as I was medically retired out of the Marine Corps. The only difference for us is that it's a non-degree program that still turns us out at the 11/12 level after four years, rather than 2-3, with the 11/12 job being entirely dependent on who hires you out of the program.

It's not a bad program to be honest but from all of the intern's I've had the chance to speak with it really depends on which commands you work for and the people associated with them.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Delorence Fickle posted:

My supervisor pretty much told me that 60% percent of the people in the section will be retiring within 3-5 years, with said supervisor leaving out in 10.

Ha ha, I remember all my professors telling me that in 2008 when I graduated with my Bachelor's degree.

"There will be tons of government jobs opening up in your field because so many people are set to retire in the next 5-10 years!"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

razz posted:

Ha ha, I remember all my professors telling me that in 2008 when I graduated with my Bachelor's degree.

"There will be tons of government jobs opening up in your field because so many people are set to retire in the next 5-10 years!"

No one is retiring, ever. They will die at their desks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And they will not look for people to replace them because everyone is still technically on-duty.

(If it helps, academia has been hearing the same crap about "all the Baby Boomer professors retiring very soon" for more than a decade, too, and if anything things are just getting worse as the years go on there)

HELLO POSTING FROM FUTURE FEDERAL IMMIGRATION JOB HOME

I would have started this week if they had not responded to my request to start a week later by starting me five weeks later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
One problem with all the retirement-eligible people is brain drain from the commands. With all the hardship Feds have suffered the last few years (hiring freeze, pay freeze, two furloughs) people just said screw it and retired or left for the private sector. That's a significant amount of knowledge walking out the door that isn't being replaced in most cases.