Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Start from the beginning and count how many different actresses play Kochansky.

Isn't there a different actor for Kryten as well in the ep where he's introduced?

Yeah, Kryten was introduced in series 2 as a one-off, then brought back for series 3. Basically, assume that the entire run of the series is at least three distinctly different shows, some of which are better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Yeah, Kryten was introduced in series 2 as a one-off, then brought back for series 3. Basically, assume that the entire run of the series is at least three distinctly different shows, some of which are better than others.

Red Dwarf is plagued by inaccuracies and goofs. They make fun of it a lot.

Most people prefer either Seasons 1-3 (Sitcom) or Seasons 3-6 (Monster of the Week). After that, the show gets pretty different, but I still love it.

Really the only thing to watch out for is that some of the episodes on Netflix are missing laugh tracks. This makes it incredibly awkward. Just power through them, I promise the laugher comes back.

I will contend that the greatest moment in the show is when Original Holly comes back.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I remember watching an episode of Red Dwarf and not getting why the show is popular because it seemed awful. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. What is appealing about it?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

wormil posted:

I remember watching an episode of Red Dwarf and not getting why the show is popular because it seemed awful. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. What is appealing about it?

Nothing. You have the right opinion.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Watched Frogs last night, a 1972 environmental-themed creature feature, starring Sam Elliot with no mustache! Other than the lack of mustache and ten gallon hat, he hasn't aged a day! :aaa: The story itself is so thin as to be almost invisible however, there's a rich old dude, his insufferable rich family, and Sam Elliot likes to canoe around taking photos. There are a lot of menacing close-ups of bullfrogs (although nobody was killed by frogs at any point in the movie?!) and some of the most inexplicable movie behaviors I've seen in a long time. Bonus points for this movie being from before characters were killed off in order of whomever indulges their vices first (instead, they just kill all the black people :smith: . This movie was really fun to watch, despite being terrible on most levels. That said, it was a masterpiece compared to

Mutant Species, a military creature feature involving a troupe of special forces archetypes on a mission to retrieve a biological weapon. Of course things go bad, and one guy gets turned into one of the dumber-looking monster suits I've seen in quite a while. Then the last survivor runs into some squatters in a shack in the woods (a woman and her blind little brother,) and then evil black suited soldiers show up to decontaminate the area. Suddenly, the writer wakes up a couple days after his coke-and-gin-fueled screenwriting binge and totally forgets that he'd written in the little kid to be blind, so the kid sudenly quits doing his best Stevie Wonder impression and then for the rest of the movie he is leading people through the woods, up into tree houses, kicking bad guys in the nuts, hitting people in the head with thrown rocks, and finally giving General Wilfred "Silk Hawaiian Shirt" Brimley a thousand-yard-stare as they drive off into the ending credits. This movie was really bad, but charming in the way of a liger - so ugly it's cute, yet still inbred and retarded.

wormil posted:

Dude you just don't get it. Maybe try a Dark Shadows marathon?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Mar 17, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Go watch Das Boot.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Is the 3.5 hour directors cut the one to watch?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

canyoneer posted:

Go watch Das Boot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wafflesnsegways posted:

Is the 3.5 hour directors cut the one to watch?

The director thinks so :v:
The original theatrical release in Germany/worldwide is 150 minutes.
There was a ton of leftover footage, which was added back in for a BBC miniseries, total of 300 minutes (which includes a few minutes of recap at the beginning of each episode).
The Netflix version is the Director's cut, which at 208 minutes is longer than the theatrical, but doesn't include some of the miniseries content. This is from 1997.
There's a "totally uncut" version at 293 minutes, which is pretty much all the footage available.

I've only seen the Director's Cut, but most nerds agree that you should only track down the 5 1/2 hour one if you're just dying for more character exposition and flavor of life aboard a U-boat.

That said, this movie is incredible. Learning about the filming of it makes it even more so. Most of the film takes place inside a U-boat, which was a set built from the original U-boat plans by the same shipyard that actually made U-boats mounted on a huge gimble. It's shot with a handheld camera inside the confines of the boat. You really get the feel for the cramped, stuffy conditions inside the boat.
The special effects of the U-boat sailing and engaging in combat (done with miniatures) hold up really well for being 30 years old, the same way the original Star Wars effects do.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
I'm about halfway through The League. Funny show, fun to watch. I'm not even into football, but the characters are pretty good. I also really like Jon Lajoie, so him having a song every second episode or so isn't hurting!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Das Boot long-rear end Director's Cut rules hard and everyone should watch it. It doesn't feel long or slow to me at all, it's so filled with drama and action. One of the best war movies ever and arguably the best submarine movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Long Goodbye is on Netflix, and you should watch it, because it's really good.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the Das Boot rundown.

And The Long Goodbye is fantastic. Robert Altman adapting a Raymond Chandler book with Elliott Gould... And somehow, it's not a trainwreck - in fact it's charming and mean and has the best of both Altman and Chandler. Anyone who likes The Big Lebowski should give it a shot.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I'm about halfway through The League. Funny show, fun to watch. I'm not even into football, but the characters are pretty good. I also really like Jon Lajoie, so him having a song every second episode or so isn't hurting!

I'm from the uk and don't have the first clue about American hand egg, but this series is great. Jenny is one of the best female characters on tv, especially ehen she's being as much of a dick as the guys.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

:stare: My god The League is hilarious. I started it skeptical thinking "uuugh...goons sometimes have awful (to me) tastes in TV shows and these descriptions aren't promising." Then five minutes into the first episode I had to stop it and grab my wife to watch with me. We're both dying over here. Helps too that I'm a huge football fan and she's a huge Jon Lajoie fan. So, thanks for this. :downs:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lozareth posted:

:stare: My god The League is hilarious. I started it skeptical thinking "uuugh...goons sometimes have awful (to me) tastes in TV shows and these descriptions aren't promising." Then five minutes into the first episode I had to stop it and grab my wife to watch with me. We're both dying over here. Helps too that I'm a huge football fan and she's a huge Jon Lajoie fan. So, thanks for this. :downs:

Wait until you meet Rafi. :allears:

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The Ape of Naples posted:

Rafi is like john ralphio from parks and rec dialed up 10 or so notches

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

He might seriously be the greatest character in television history. I love Rafi.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

He might seriously be the greatest character in television history. I love Rafi.

I had to pause the show for a little bit at this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEa-mR3Ah0 from laughing so hard. I don't even know, it just hit me really well

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Bobum Man episode is possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen. I can't stress enough how unimportant it is to know about football, because I feel like that turns a lot of people off from a great show

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

wafflesnsegways posted:

Thanks for the Das Boot rundown.

And The Long Goodbye is fantastic. Robert Altman adapting a Raymond Chandler book with Elliott Gould... And somehow, it's not a trainwreck - in fact it's charming and mean and has the best of both Altman and Chandler. Anyone who likes The Big Lebowski should give it a shot.

It has a great soundtrack, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTQgTZBqAyE

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The League should be terrible, but it's not. It's definitely one of the best joke delivery vehicles on TV.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Wow, thanks for the Das Boot reference. I was not ready for that.

Imma recommend The Croods if you're into gorgeous animation. The sidekick/mascot and overall moral can wear a little thin, but drat is it a pretty movie. The opening chase scene is exactly what I want from a lighthearted animated film.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I binged through The League last month, it was loving hilarious. I still have no idea how fantasy football works, it makes even less sense to me than regular football which I know nothing about.

Really though, the fantasy football is like the bar in say Cheers, or It's Always Sunny. It's just a reason for the main characters to come together and be absolutely horrible to each other. You don't need to know how a bar works, or even have been in one, it's just the thing to get poo poo rolling.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Anyone like stand up?

Tom Segura recently uploaded a special.

Morgan Murphy is really deadpan and funny.

John Mulaney is good, too.

I've also recently watched and enjoyed a four-part documentary series called "America in Primetime" which explores four television tropes: man of the house, the independent woman, the misfit, and the crusader.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I was listening to the Podcast, 'How Did This Get Made' before I started watching the League and for some inexplicable reason I thought Rafi was going to be a nerd character.

I was so pissed when they moved it to FXX because my DVR was looking for it on FX. I missed the whole 5th season.

EDIT: Wow, I was looking it up in IMDB and Jenny and Pete are married in real life.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Mar 20, 2014

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

fork bomb posted:

Anyone like stand up?

I've also recently watched and enjoyed a four-part documentary series called "America in Primetime" which explores four television tropes: man of the house, the independent woman, the misfit, and the crusader.

Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is good too. It's kind of half one man show half stand up. Gets pretty heavy at points. Don't watch it expecting straight laughs and you'll probably like it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

fork bomb posted:

Anyone like stand up?

That John Mulaney show is amazing and I can't believe I never heard of the guy before watching that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is good too. It's kind of half one man show half stand up. Gets pretty heavy at points. Don't watch it expecting straight laughs and you'll probably like it.

That's pretty standard for Birbiglia's stuff. Sleepwalk With Me is on Netflix which is a great example of his humor, but a little bit of a retread if you're a fan of his CDs. A nice story that mixes humor with sad, real life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New in Town was really unexpected. That guy is hilarious and looking at his history, he's really young and has been a successful comedy writer for a while. What I'm saying is that I resent him and hope he dies.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Meatwave posted:

That John Mulaney show is amazing and I can't believe I never heard of the guy before watching that.

If you ever watch SNL, John Mulaney is the reason why Bill Hader always loses it playing Stefon. He rewrites his cue cards in between rehearsal & live.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

fishtobaskets posted:

If you ever watch SNL, John Mulaney is the reason why Bill Hader always loses it playing Stefon. He rewrites his cue cards in between rehearsal & live.

Holy poo poo, that's fantastic. Stephon is my favorite SNL bit from the last generation.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I thought Drunk History would be terrible, but it's actually rather good. Having the historical actors lip-sync what the drunken story-tellers say is a minor stroke of genius. It's on Amazon Prime; not sure about Netflix.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Meatwave posted:

I heard his subway skit for the first time the other day on the way to work on the comedy central station on sirius and I had to pull into a parking lot I was laughing so hard. If you've got 40 minutes or so to spare, you must watch him.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Does The League get better after the first few episodes? Because I'm kind of bored with it. All the major joke setups are crazy obvious and contrived, so far it just seems like a much shorter The Hangover (which I also thought was unfunny).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Does The League get better after the first few episodes? Because I'm kind of bored with it. All the major joke setups are crazy obvious and contrived, so far it just seems like a much shorter The Hangover (which I also thought was unfunny).

You're on the cusp of where the series went from "funny" to "loving funny," in my opinion anyways. Watch Mr. McGibblets. If you don't like the show there, it's definitely not for you.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Oldstench posted:

I thought Drunk History would be terrible, but it's actually rather good. Having the historical actors lip-sync what the drunken story-tellers say is a minor stroke of genius. It's on Amazon Prime; not sure about Netflix.

It's soooooo freaking hilarious. Do you know if there are more episodes on prime than what was shown on Comedy Central/xfinity on demand?

I love the Ralph Nadar ep when he says "you wanna go for a ride? You wanna go for a ride in the car?"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, that sounds right. It's been a while, but I remember the first season slowly getting better, and then a big jump in quality in the second season.

Honestly, you don't need to know too much backstory to understand the show. I would just google up some fan favorite episodes and check those out to see if you like it.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

fork bomb posted:

Anyone like stand up?

I'd heard a bit of Tom Segura's standup on Pandora before and watched that special and holy poo poo I was in tears. The John Mulaney special is amazing as well, but I'd seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I can't believe nobody mentioned loving Jeff Goldblum vinegar strokes. The League is loving fantastic.

• Locked thread