Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Ahahahahahaha jesus

edit: The tony LJ duo is just a bomb waiting to go off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Wow, drat!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I mean, poo poo, even if Cliff makes it all the way to the end nobody will give him the money. Now you just kept a guy around who's a bigger threat and put yourself on the bottom of those 4.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They had to have edited a shitload of stuff out to make that look like a shock on TV because there's no way he sits on that idol given what we saw

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

They had to have edited a shitload of stuff out to make that look like a shock on TV because there's no way he sits on that idol given what we saw

We didn't hear much from Tony, who was the pivotal vote.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I feel a crazy person. I've been watching Survivor on and off from the get-go and I simply cannot understand the reasoning for the voting this season.

Cliff gets voted out at the first opportunity, J'Tia survives multiple votes after dumping the rice and is a spectacular failure during challenges.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
God, that preview.

If Lindsay quits because Trish is mean and she lost the numbers, ugh

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Ghostpilot posted:

I feel a crazy person. I've been watching Survivor on and off from the get-go and I simply cannot understand the reasoning for the voting this season.

Cliff gets voted out at the first opportunity, J'Tia survives multiple votes after dumping the rice and costing challenges...

It was said on the first episode and the mindset seems to be holding strong. Everyone is thinking Day 39 right now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I dunno; I mean if everybody was thinking day 39, Cliff would still be there.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ghostpilot posted:

I dunno; I mean if everybody was thinking day 39, Cliff would still be there.

Seriously. It doesnt matter how much he's liked if he makes it to the end the only way someone is going to vote for him to win is if he brought 2 utterly despicable people with him. You want to be sitting there at the end with him.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

If there was a millionaire sitting at FTC on Day 39 with two homeless people and the millionaire had played the BEST game of the 3 people I don't understand the mindset behind not voting for them. What everyone does outside the game should be a non-factor.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
An episode to reaffirm my hate for Trish and Tony. Woo being on the block is the worst part of everything. If he makes it to the merge maybe he and the brains can team, depends if they take Sarah or Morgan along with them (Sarah will flip instantly because COPS and Alexis has made her alliance with Jeffra too clear).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bjay9 posted:

If there was a millionaire sitting at FTC on Day 39 with two homeless people and the millionaire had played the BEST game of the 3 people I don't understand the mindset behind not voting for them. What everyone does outside the game should be a non-factor.

Yeah, like maybe the homeless people stole cars. From people on the jury.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they were smart, they would've shitcanned Woo. He's way more personable, probably even more of a challenge monster threat than Cliff simply because that big frame is a curse as much as a blessing on this show and he doesn't have millions to his name already.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Poque posted:

God, that preview.

preview spoiler

Who does she think she is, Colton?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That wasn't a bad move for Tony. Once Sarah left he was bottom of the remaining Brawn alliance if he was even part of it at all.

Woo seems like a male version of Brenda - attractive, athletic, but without much strategy or long game.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I dunno why you would say Woo has no strategy. He was down to turn on Cliff when that's what the majority of the tribe wanted, but he wasn't dumb enough to embrace throwing the challenge. He kept Lindsey and Cliff focused on LJ as the target this round (which, you know, they were right about her flipping, but the "sound play" was to assume at least Tony would stay loyal), and he summed up why getting rid of LJ was the best move this round while he was voting.

I actually think Woo is a strong contender to win if he can make it to the merge and doesn't go on an attention-grabbing immunity streak right away.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Woo is a surfer, Brenda runs Paddleboard Miami. Maybe that's where their similarity originated in my head.

I've been wrong about a lot this episode so I could be wrong about Woo too. The editing has been interesting this season, really keeping me guessing about what's going to happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't bet on Woo. He's an obvious threat and if this newfound Crazy/Hot alliance have any brains they take him out next. Even if they don't Lindsay is vulnerable and Sarah is vulnerable on the other side and Tony doesn't trust him so who the hell is on his side? The man is a little screwed right now. His position could shape up but he'll need a touch of random Survivor luck and Brains might have stolen most of that for that perfect tribal breakdown.

Seriously you couldn't have drawn that tribe better for Brains. The perfect three beauties with no drat sense to just sell each other down the river while Sarah just waves in the wind.

sportsgenius86 posted:

My only thinking is that he figures even if the idol saves him today he's still outnumbered so he's probably gone next week. Its a huge rear end gamble but I guess I can kind of see sitting on that idol just because it makes him SO dangerous now. I wouldn't have done it but now he's got some new allies, a solid game head, great comp skills, and an idol no one could possibly suspect after that. Trish and Tony deserve to get bit in the rear end by that down the line.

drat, gently caress Trish and Tony being nutty fucks and throwing away the huge advantage Brawn had. gently caress the Brains falling backwards into the best position in the game. gently caress the Beauties being a mess and walking away from this week unscathed. Uncle Cliffy! I'm so sad now. Life and Survivor are unfair.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

My only thinking is that he figures even if the idol saves him today he's still outnumbered so he's probably gone next week. Its a huge rear end gamble but I guess I can kind of see sitting on that idol just because it makes him SO dangerous now.

LJ not playing the HII was a balls of steel gamble but since he didn't play it, no one will assume he has one and that could come back to knife someone else in the back down the line.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Poque posted:

Yeah, like maybe the homeless people stole cars. From people on the jury.

I'd be upset if I lost the Survivor Car challenge too :(

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Robnoxious posted:

LJ not playing the HII was a balls of steel gamble but since he didn't play it, no one will assume he has one and that could come back to knife someone else in the back down the line.
He seems pretty sharp, and he said he was going to bring it and play it depending on what he heard. He must have heard something that convinced him not to use it.

Smart play for the Brains is sort of to keep Morgan, because Alexis will run back to Jefra. This direction should become the more obvious choice when they go to the next challenge and see Jefra and LJ are still standing (and are allies with Alexis!!). But somehow just looking at Morgan gives you a stabbing pain in your back, heh. What I mean is she doesn't seem trustworthy. So she could be the first to go. I'm not really sure where Jeremiah stands in all this.

So the Cliff thing, and Tony. The funny thing is Cliff was the most straight forward honest good guy around and they all built up this big thing about him being tricky and all that. Someone said it made sense for Tony to boot him because he would've been on the bottom if not. Let's see though, boot LJ, you still can boot Jefra next tribal, and Trish the tribal after that. And Cliff and Dreads lady would always be alone because Sarah already had Woo, although I guess Tony didn't believe that. And he might have been right, just because Sarah had Woo (she did) doesn't mean Tony could hang onto him, which is his own fault since it seems Tony never even tried to bond with him and just by default didn't trust him. Both Cliff and LJ are assets at this stage, best move may have been booting Jefra.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Robnoxious posted:

Yeah, if this breaks right for him he has the numbers in this tribe and seemingly safe alliances with Trish and Jefra that should get him to the merge. Then he potentially has Jeremiah, Alexis, or maybe Sarah or whoever ends up on the outs on the other tribe. He shouldn't have to touch that idol for a long time and it could change or win the game when he uses it. It takes a lot to get there but by surviving this absurdly close call he might have put himself in the best position in the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm still rooting for Spencer because Spencer is awesome, but holy poo poo, the brass balls it took to not play that idol. Holy poo poo. Go LJ!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Into: Woo (everything about it)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

My only thinking is that he figures even if the idol saves him today he's still outnumbered so he's probably gone next week.
That's what he was saying, and 90% of the time people are in situations where they need to use Idols this is probably true. But this was one weird exception where, had the vote been 4 for LJ and 3 for Cliff, playing the idol actually overthrows the majority and makes things even. It's only under certain circumstances were playing the Idol buys you more than just 3 more days, and this actually may have been one of them and he still didn't play it! I guess maybe he thought it was unlikely that Trish would flip without Tony?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I just figured that he figured if Tony doesn't flip today than he's not going to talk Tony into flipping later. I guess it might have been worth risking it and threatening a tied vote/rocks situation. But that demands a lot of trust in Jefra and Trish to stay true. Trish just sold her entire tribe out so I don't know.

The whole thing was a huge rear end gamble. I wouldn't have had the balls to do what he did but I can kind of see why he did it. It was a pretty high risk/high reward situation. Using the idol would have been a more conservative play that probably would have left a target on his back no matter how it played.

And you're right that whenever someone uses an idol its usually just a one week save, but I think its just so early in the game it has to be hard to burn an idol with 13 other people in the game. Not doing it runs the risk of screwing up like Garrett and I'm sure everyone has nightmares of being in that James/China situation where he has two idols and he's in the jury because he wanted to wait one week too long. But it has to be tempting to hold onto that thing until the merge when you REALLY need it. When you're this early in the game and it looks like you might have another option I guess some people can just convince themselves to make a choice and hope for the best.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Poque posted:

God, that preview.

Well it would explain how she's been pretty invisible this season, since quitters get lovely edits. But yeah, ugh.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Wow all three tribes have self-destructed at this point its really kindof magical. Beauty's cant throw each other under the bus fast enough and crazies just chopped the brawn tribe in half. Major props to LJ I was yelling at him to play it but now his positions pretty solid or at least as solid as being in an alliance with Tony can be.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Another awesome episode. Great start to this season.

LJ showing balls of steel holding his idol there. Gotta give the guy huge credit for reading Tony right, or getting lucky, probably the latter. I'm eagerly anticipating a potential LJ vs Spencer clash post-merge.

Thrilled to see the Brains tribe in a good spot like they're in. Spencer finally has the pieces in play to do some serious damage. This is the spot where we'll really get a chance to see what he's made of. He has his pick of potential alliance-mates and that decision will have an enormous impact on whether he can make it to the end. An all-Brains final three like they teased would be a fantastic ending to this season.

Really surprised by the immunity challenge result. The non-Brains tribe looked pretty stacked, but Spencer is really stepping up in challenges.

Another fun episode. Too bad the preview made next week look like a potential dud.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

line.

drat, gently caress Trish and Tony being nutty fucks and throwing away the huge advantage Brawn had. gently caress the Brains falling backwards into the best position in the game. gently caress the Beauties being a mess and walking away from this week unscathed. Uncle Cliffy! I'm so sad now. Life and Survivor are unfair.

I don't blame Trish for looking for an alliance elsewhere at all. It was obvious she was the lowest member of Brawn and Lindsay made the decision extra easy by being openly hostile to her. For Tony it probably came down to what the bigger threat was: LJ, or the core of Cliff, Woo and Lindsay, who all seemed to be getting even tighter this episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My real question is whether Tony's actually flipped, or if he just took advantage of an opportunity to get rid of Uncle Cliffy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

My real question is whether Tony's actually flipped, or if he just took advantage of an opportunity to get rid of Uncle Cliffy.

What's the difference in the eyes of his tribemates? There's no difference.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

savinhill posted:

I don't blame Trish for looking for an alliance elsewhere at all. It was obvious she was the lowest member of Brawn and Lindsay made the decision extra easy by being openly hostile to her. For Tony it probably came down to what the bigger threat was: LJ, or the core of Cliff, Woo and Lindsay, who all seemed to be getting even tighter this episode.

Yeah, this for sure. I think Tony made absolutely the right move for his game. Woo/Lindsay/Cliff were super tight so he traded his 4th/5th position in the current alliance for a chance at better in the new one. Also, this should further cement his cred with Sarah come merge. (Although I really am rooting for her to see through his bullshit)

I'm sad to see Cliff go, but I'm pretty happy with how this will shift the dynamics and make things less predictable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In reality though its only really Lindsay who can be mad at him. Woo and Sarah were both in on throwing the challenge last week to blindside Cliff. So Sarah won't be upset and Woo is a dummie for not seeing this coming.

In order to "flip" I think you technically need to pick a side in the first place. Tony has obviously been playing for himself and only himself since the start. He'll do whatever he deems best for himself next Council and it wouldn't be surprised if that's mending fencs with Woo and Lindsay and trying to target LJ.

For what its worth my "gently caress Tony and Trish" was just me being sad my favorite is gone. I think it might have been a bad move for them because they're weakening their power right now hoping things work out down the line. If I'm LJ I don't trust those two at all and any chance I have I take elsewhere. But I honestly don't know if I think it was a good or bad move for them. I think its way too early to be worrying about your alliance position and start playing dirty. A lot can happen and Final Five/Six is a nice place to be at this stage.

But I don't know any more. These people are all playing for Day 39. Either they're playing chess I can follow or they're nuts.

BGrifter posted:

Really surprised by the immunity challenge result. The non-Brains tribe looked pretty stacked, but Spencer is really stepping up in challenges.

I'm not an engineer so I could be wrong and I'd have to rewatch to be sure but I think Brains 2.0 winning came down to them sticking their two strongest in the front eventually. I feel like thats where you want the power so you can guide and drive the ram, everyone else just has to keep the thing in the air. Brawn 2.0 had more strength but never seemed to focus it. And Tony probably wasted a ton of time and strength trying to break 2x4s with kicks. I'm guessing it also helped on the second wall that Brains 2.0 are smaller so they probably had to break less of the wall to get through. Cliff probably needed a Kool Aid Man size hole to get through.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 20, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not an engineer so I could be wrong and I'd have to rewatch to be sure but I think Brains 2.0 winning came down to them sticking their two strongest in the front eventually. I feel like thats where you want the power so you can guide and drive the ram, everyone else just has to keep the thing in the air. Brawn 2.0 had more strength but never seemed to focus it. And Tony probably wasted a ton of time and strength trying to break 2x4s with kicks. I'm guessing it also helped on the second wall that Brains 2.0 are smaller so they probably had to break less of the wall to get through. Cliff probably needed a Kool Aid Man size hole to get through.

You nailed it. When Spencer and Jeremiah took the lead on that log, the second wall went down immediately. This is partly because when they were running up to it, Spencer aimed the tip at where a cross-brace was - having remembered the locations from the first wall. Brawn just slammed their ram through the vertical slats but between the cross-braces, expending their momentum for very little gain.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What's the difference in the eyes of his tribemates? There's no difference.

SATC Goat nailed it here, too. There's a pretty big difference between going back to the lunkheads to whittle away at the pretties, versus continuing to knock out Lindsay and Woo, especially since, as has been said, Woo was theoretically on board with voting Cliff out last time.

Honestly, Tony reminds me a lot of Ressel, just with less contempt towards other people.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I loved Jeff narrating "Rock breaks scissor" like it was part of the game.

It was kind of bullshit that the orange tribe won the challenge by crawling under the last 2x4. The rules mandated that all 6 people had to hold the log but they didn't have to fully break the walls?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm going to predict someone on the Brains tribe wins in the end based purely on the theory that they have already played all of their 'let's make terrible decisions' cards.

Brawn splitting their tribe in half (ruining an otherwise good shot at an easy post-merge game) to vote out Cliff is an unbelievably retarded move that makes me very happy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It was kind of bullshit that the orange tribe won the challenge by crawling under the last 2x4. The rules mandated that all 6 people had to hold the log but they didn't have to fully break the walls?
There was no rule saying they had to completely demolish the walls and ALL of the crossboards in full, just that they had to smash enough to get the ram and the team through.

Uncle Cliffy's team took the literal sense and that's what killed them by wasting time and energy smashing the entire barrier and all 3 crossbars before they advanced.

In the end though the comp was literally neck and neck to the finish.

• Locked thread