Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Mindisgone posted:

Regarding the Heroic mono white deck I posted, I like the concept but it definitely needed more support (removal specifically). Not only that the rules for Silence was cleared up for me and I realized if protection is knocking off my enchants that is also no good.

Here is an adjusted B/W version:

Deck: W/B Heroic

//Lands
8 Plains
4 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Indestructibility
4 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Grisly Transformation

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Ghostblade Eidolon
4 Agent of the Fates

//Side Board

//Sideboard
4 Silence
4 Wear // Tear
4 Celestial Flare
3 Sanguine Bond

Display deck statistics

Having played a Mono-B heroic deck, I would suggest Spiteful Returned / Herald of Torment. I'd run those over Indestructibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I've wanted to break Sanguine Bond for a long time but is it really worth a SB slot in this? It only works if a Gift of Orzhova sticks or you manage to pop an Ordeal of Heliod, but in what matchups would you board it in?

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

En Fuego posted:

Having played a Mono-B heroic deck, I would suggest Spiteful Returned / Herald of Torment. I'd run those over Indestructibility.

Deck: Mono White Heroic

//Lands
20 Plains

//Spells
4 Pithing Needle
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Indestructibility
4 Prowler's Helm
4 Pacifism

//Creatures
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Fabled Hero
4 Hopeful Eidolon

//Sideboard
4 Silence
4 Wear // Tear
4 Celestial Flare
3 Revoke Existence

Display deck statistics

With this I have actually kept the deck under $35, kept it mono WHITE, and still have some answers for things in play.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

C-Euro posted:

I've wanted to break Sanguine Bond for a long time but is it really worth a SB slot in this? It only works if a Gift of Orzhova sticks or you manage to pop an Ordeal of Heliod, but in what matchups would you board it in?

This makes more sense for Sanguine:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
20 Swamp

//Spells
4 Dying Wish
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Grisly Transformation
4 Sanguine Bond
4 Scourgemark
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Herald of Torment
4 Nighthowler
4 Tormented Hero

Display deck statistics

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I think both of those decks are really short on creatures. Nothing worse than having a handful of buffs and nothing to target. Or only having one creature and getting doom bladed in response to an attack or casting indestructibility. You should also factor in the fact that some of those creatures can be cast as auras themselves. Not sure what 4x copies of mainboard pithing needles will be needed for either.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
:frogsiren:EDH Deck: Babby's First Bant Merfolk:frogsiren:

So what started out as U/W Merfolk with Sygg as the commander quickly devolved into loving the board over with Winter Orb, not-Winter Orb and other not-Winter Orb while Merfolk, free from constraints like "blocking" untapped my own lands thanks to Derevi, Banned (in 1v1 Commander variant) Tactician. As you might be able to tell, I've run into a bit of feature bloat (already cutting such horrible combos as Captain of the Mists + Illusionist's Bracers + Gilded Lotus) and my mana base was once described by Mary Todd Lincoln as "schizophrenic". Venser the Sojourner might not make the cut simply on account of the fact that he's MIA!

Help me Brewhaus, you're my only hope.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Just so you know, equipping doesn't trigger heroic. I am not sure if you were taking that into account with the Prowler Helms. Maindecked Pithing Needles are kind of questionable, and with the enchantments you're running, you really want some Hero of Iroas. (He is only a couple bucks if that.) That having been said, I understand the thought process behind running Indestructibility, but pretty much every deck has ways to work around it (especially control who will just bounce your guys or exile him which Indestructibility does jack against). You'll want something like Gods Willing if you're looking for Heroic-triggering protection effects. And in most cases, Gods Willing can be used offensively to squeeze through unblockable damage.

The black deck doesn't want Nighthowler. There aren't enough creatures to fuel him. You'll want something like Spiteful Returned or maybe just Baleful Eidolon to act as an annoying wall.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Thinking of making a R/W devotion shell for the boros god, I put this together-

Sorcery (5)
2x Anger of the Gods
3x Mizzium Mortars

Creature (20)
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
3x Frostburn Weird
2x Fanatic of Mogis
3x Purphoros, God of the Forge
4x Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalker (4)
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Enchantment (5)
1x Assemble the Legion
4x Chained to the Rocks

Land (26)
1x Boros Guildgate
13x Mountain
4x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph

SB-
2x Hammer of Purphoros
3x Pithing Needle
2x Revoke Existence
2x Skullcrack
????

I have most of the cards other than a couple of nykthos, reckoners and a playset of stormbreaths. What do you think?

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
White voltron:

- should grow faster than other large creature threats can drop
- hopefully neutralizes all planeswalker threats with pithing needle
- bonus neutralizing monstrous
- lifelink on my voltron should heal my wounds enough to ignore most attacks
- flying and prowlers helm for evasion (I know equipping does not trigger heroic but it was an alternative to squeezing in black for grisly transformation

- subject to bouncing and hex (thinking curse of the swine here)
- subject to exile
- subject to counter magic

Everything this deck is open to any other deck could say the same. In practice the creature count is small but I always snag at least 1 creature I need by 1 mulligan. During play I see enough backup creatures enter my hand. Originally I had God's willing in here, it may have been bad matchup last night though because I found myself needing pro white which all my enchantment would fall off, not happy about that, but I will probably put them back in.

Black voltron is the same way only the main way of dealing with creature threats is removal with agents hero trigger because he does not grow like the white voltron.

I will probably find a spot for hero of Iroas because he is boss. Any other suggestions with the above points in mind?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mindisgone posted:

White voltron:

- flying and prowlers helm for evasion (I know equipping does not trigger heroic but it was an alternative to squeezing in black for grisly transformation

- subject to exile

Everything this deck is open to any other deck could say the same. In practice the creature count is small but I always snag at least 1 creature I need by 1 mulligan. During play I see enough backup creatures enter my hand. Originally I had God's willing in here, it may have been bad matchup last night though because I found myself needing pro white which all my enchantment would fall off, not happy about that, but I will probably put them back in.

Black voltron is the same way only the main way of dealing with creature threats is removal with agents hero trigger because he does not grow like the white voltron.

I will probably find a spot for hero of Iroas because he is boss. Any other suggestions with the above points in mind?

Fiendslayer Paladin? He avoids hero's downfall, dreadbore and such, when he's big enough the only card that can remove him when against MBD or B/R is devour flesh which in it's voltron state gains you a ton of life. My personal suggestion would be chained to the rocks and splash red, but I am biased because I am going to make a deck using hero, eidolon and pacifism but for much different reasons (Mono white devotion/enchantment control which is really hard to make work.)

Samael fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 20, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I'm glad to see other people playing with Dying Wish. Here's a build I came up with a while back (pre BNG, I'm sure that gave it some new tools) that was actually pretty fun...managed to top 8 with it once, miraculously:

Deck: Dying Wish

//Lands
4 Forest
4 Godless Shrine
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
3 Commune with the Gods
3 Death's Presence
4 Devour Flesh
4 Dying Wish
4 Gift of Immortality

//Creatures
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Reaper of the Wilds
2 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
2 Altar's Reap
3 Brindle Boar
4 Corpse Blockade
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
3 Launch Party
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

Display deck statistics

Basically, I longed for the days of Junk Aristocrats and wanted to see if I could make Cartel Aristocrat and Varolz team up again.

The combo: Suit up Voice of Resurgence with Gift of Immortality. Pretty sick in and of itself, chump block FOREVER. Cartel Aristocrat or Varolz on the field lets you sac each turn for a new token, Voice comes back. Once you finally land a Death's Presence, it's off to the races. Sacrifice in sequence to pile all of the power on the field onto a single creature (preferably a Witchstalker or Reaper with hexproof) suited up with Dying Wish, win.

In the meantime, it's not terrible at holding the ground and beating down. I wish we still had Lingering Souls, though :(

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Samael posted:

Fiendslayer Paladin? He avoids hero's downfall, dreadbore and such, when he's big enough the only card that can remove him when against MBD or B/R is devour flesh which in it's voltron state gains you a ton of life. My personal suggestion would be chained to the rocks and splash red, but I am biased because I am going to make a deck using hero, eidolon and pacifism but for much different reasons (Mono white devotion/enchantment control which is really hard to make work.)

In that case why don't I just run Gift of Immortality instead of indestructibility to ignore devour flesh and other sacrificing effects. There are enough enchantments available to be able to build back up again quick enough, in the same light bounce effects should not hurt that much.

No deck will avoid everything but does it cover enough bases to at least be competitive? That is the question. Fiendslayer is nice, maybe a side board as it does not grow like Favored. Agent's Heroic is just essential in of itself.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mindisgone posted:

White voltron:

- subject to exile

Equipment cost too much, even something as cheap as Prowler's Helm. If you want awesome unblockableness, splash blue for Aqueous Form. (My Heroic deck splashes blue for Hidden Strings, Aqueous Form, Mizzium Skin, and Battlewise Hoplite.)
If you're winning as fast as you should be, Planeswalkers shouldn't be a threat. Very few walkers interact with the opponent in ways you care about with the only one that seriously bones a voltron set up being Kiora. (And Chandra to a lesser extent just because it prevents you from blocking if you need to.)
Ajani makes voltron'd creatures sickening and (in my opinion) is better than Fabled Hero primarily because he is faster and interacts with your already huge guys.
Curse of the Swine isn't a threat. Detention Sphere, however, is.

(Non-bestow) Aura-heavy decks are very susceptible to removal and are generally weaker decks in the current meta. That is just something you'll have to accept.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mindisgone posted:

Deck: Mono White Heroic

//Lands
20 Plains

//Spells
4 Pithing Needle
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Indestructibility
4 Prowler's Helm
4 Pacifism

//Creatures
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Fabled Hero
4 Hopeful Eidolon

//Sideboard
4 Silence
4 Wear // Tear
4 Celestial Flare
3 Revoke Existence

Display deck statistics

With this I have actually kept the deck under $35, kept it mono WHITE, and still have some answers for things in play.

You definitely do not need 4 main deck pithing needles.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm glad to see other people playing with Dying Wish. Here's a build I came up with a while back (pre BNG, I'm sure that gave it some new tools) that was actually pretty fun...managed to top 8 with it once, miraculously:

The combo: Suit up Voice of Resurgence with Gift of Immortality. Pretty sick in and of itself, chump block FOREVER. Cartel Aristocrat or Varolz on the field lets you sac each turn for a new token, Voice comes back. Once you finally land a Death's Presence, it's off to the races. Sacrifice in sequence to pile all of the power on the field onto a single creature (preferably a Witchstalker or Reaper with hexproof) suited up with Dying Wish, win.

I like that deck a lot. Adding the green in got me thinking. Here is what I came up with:

Deck: W/G Heroic

//Lands
2 Forest
10 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
4 Alpha Authority
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Forced Adaptation
3 Gift of Orzhova
2 Ordeal of Nylea
4 Soul Tithe
3 Unflinching Courage

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Hero of Iroas

//Sideboard
4 Guildscorn Ward
1 Hopeful Eidolon
1 Akroan Skyguard
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Oath of the Ancient Wood
4 Mana Bloom
3 Spear of Heliod

Display deck statistics

Hexproof offers more coverage than indestructible. Adding in unflinching allows me to lean on lifelink even more and trample will help get past blockers, especially in combination with alpha because of its secondary effect of only allowing 1 blocker per combat. Kiora will always be the Achilles heel for this deck but I am hoping soul tithe will help me there and why not, it covers all permanents of nuisance and if my opponent decides to slow themselves by paying the added cost I should be able to out speed them with additional voltrons.

Also ignore the sideboard as it was a bin for other cards I was considering. I also think Nylea and Heliod have real spots in this deck if I make a few minor adjustments this way or that way.

Fabled Hero + Ethereal Armor + Unflinching courage + Alpha Authority for the win.

EDIT: Tightened the deck up and made an actual sideboard for it.

//Lands
12 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Forced Adaptation
4 Alpha Authority
4 Unflinching Courage
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Soul Tithe

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Hero of Iroas

//Sideboard
4 Guildscorn Ward
4 Indestructibility
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Bow of Nylea

Display deck statistics

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 20, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mindisgone posted:

Hexproof offers more coverage than indestructible. Adding in unflinching allows me to lean on lifelink even more and trample will help get past blockers, especially in combination with alpha because of its secondary effect of only allowing 1 blocker per combat. Kiora will always be the Achilles heel for this deck but I am hoping soul tithe will help me there and why not, it covers all permanents of nuisance and if my opponent decides to slow themselves by paying the added cost I should be able to out speed them with additional voltrons.

Also ignore the sideboard as it was a bin for other cards I was considering. I also think Nylea and Heliod have real spots in this deck if I make a few minor adjustments this way or that way.

Fabled Hero + Ethereal Armor + Unflinching courage + Alpha Authority for the win.

I think you may be a little too insistent on the "Aura" theme for the deck. If you're just looking for Heroic triggers, instants (and maybe reusable sorceries) are the best way to go. I don't think you're taking spell speed into account when making your decks.

I mean...Alpha Authority is nice, if your opponent doesn't nuke the guy in response. Anyone playing against a heroic deck will save their destruction until the last possible moment (or until you're tapped out).

Same with Forced Adaptation. Ok. You get a Heroic trigger. And maybe the guy sticks around long enough to get an extra counter or two, but now you have one less surprise in hand to keep your opponent guessing. And it was just for a generic power-up that your opponent probably doesn't care about in the first play.

Soul Tithe does nothing but slow you down. As I said in a previous post, you shouldn't care about what your opponent plays most of the time. You want to make a big dude and beat face while saving some protection in the event they actually try to interact with you.

Unflinching courage is a good card, and one I would recommend over Gift or Orzhova.

Fabled Hero is a bit better in this deck just because of the trample factor.

And I'm still going to say it, but 16 creatures isn't enough. Hell, most 40 card draft decks run more than 16 creatures. If you're expecting any consistency from your creature base, you aren't going to get it.
If you're going to run an Ordeal, Heliod is better than Nylea in this deck because you don't care about ramping. You're set with 4 lands out 99% of the time.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

AlternateNu posted:

I think you may be a little too insistent on the "Aura" theme for the deck. If you're just looking for Heroic triggers, instants (and maybe reusable sorceries) are the best way to go. I don't think you're taking spell speed into account when making your decks.

I mean...Alpha Authority is nice, if your opponent doesn't nuke the guy in response. Anyone playing against a heroic deck will save their destruction until the last possible moment (or until you're tapped out).

Same with Forced Adaptation. Ok. You get a Heroic trigger. And maybe the guy sticks around long enough to get an extra counter or two, but now you have one less surprise in hand to keep your opponent guessing. And it was just for a generic power-up that your opponent probably doesn't care about in the first play.

Soul Tithe does nothing but slow you down. As I said in a previous post, you shouldn't care about what your opponent plays most of the time. You want to make a big dude and beat face while saving some protection in the event they actually try to interact with you.

Unflinching courage is a good card, and one I would recommend over Gift or Orzhova.

Fabled Hero is a bit better in this deck just because of the trample factor.

And I'm still going to say it, but 16 creatures isn't enough. Hell, most 40 card draft decks run more than 16 creatures. If you're expecting any consistency from your creature base, you aren't going to get it.
If you're going to run an Ordeal, Heliod is better than Nylea in this deck because you don't care about ramping. You're set with 4 lands out 99% of the time.

I want to keep Gift of Orzhova in the the only so I can rely on having lifelink more consistently then I would without it (plus the added bonus of flying). Other than that taking your point into consideration, I really like fleecemane in the deck to beef the creature count. Soul Tithe was traded in for God's willing, if I am faced with having some white enchants fall off as a result of pro whiting one of my dudes than so be it, hopefully it does not happen much.

Also I want to put Ready//Willing in the deck but it looks like the only thing to take out would be Gift of Orzhova.

//Lands
12 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Alpha Authority
4 Unflinching Courage
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Gods Willing

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Hero of Iroas
4 Fleecemane Lion

//Sideboard
4 Guildscorn Ward
4 Indestructibility
4 Savage Summoning
3 Witchstalker

Display deck statistics

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If you really want to worry about heroic triggers then reap what is sown would be great for g/w. Fleecemane is a great value creature but you might also consider phalanx leader, I run 4 of him in my w/u heroic and he's super high value.

If youre interested in hexproof or hard to kill stuff or whatever why not consider just playing a G/W/x hexproof deck? I posted a pretty simple g/w hexproof a page ago.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
If I don't have the set of Blood Crypts for Rakdos Aggro, would it be smarter to just use basic lands or guildgates/scrylands? I'm running two-each of the latter for now, but comes-in-tapped seems like exactly the opposite of what the deck wants.

VVV Yeeeeah, I think I'll make the change when I get home, thinking about it there's no place for delayed mana in balls-out aggro like this.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 20, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

redstormpopcorn posted:

If I don't have the set of Blood Crypts for Rakdos Aggro, would it be smarter to just use basic lands or guildgates/scrylands? I'm running two-each of the latter for now, but comes-in-tapped seems like exactly the opposite of what the deck wants.

I would just run a 2-2 split of Swamps and Mountains.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you really want to worry about heroic triggers then reap what is sown would be great for g/w. Fleecemane is a great value creature but you might also consider phalanx leader, I run 4 of him in my w/u heroic and he's super high value.

If youre interested in hexproof or hard to kill stuff or whatever why not consider just playing a G/W/x hexproof deck? I posted a pretty simple g/w hexproof a page ago.

Reap What Is Sown is great but I'd actually suggest Common Bond as well. Same effect but allows you to choose only a single target if you don't have multiple creatures, so you don't lose value if you're hard up for dudes to attack with. Double heroic trigger in one card since it targets twice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Reap What Is Sown is great but I'd actually suggest Common Bond as well. Same effect but allows you to choose only a single target if you don't have multiple creatures, so you don't lose value if you're hard up for dudes to attack with. Double heroic trigger in one card since it targets twice.

Heroic only triggers once per spell regardless of how many times you target it. Otherwise, I would be playing Hidden Strings Heroic as my actual standard deck instead of just a fun one.

Edit: I just realized I may have read your post wrong. If you're saying to target two different guys, of course you get two triggers.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 20, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What's the best kind of 1v1 Commander deck? I enjoy playing multiplayer much more and have a few slower, multiplayer-focused decks already but it seems 1v1 commander is pretty popular on MTGO.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Balon posted:

What's the best kind of 1v1 Commander deck? I enjoy playing multiplayer much more and have a few slower, multiplayer-focused decks already but it seems 1v1 commander is pretty popular on MTGO.

I piss people off 1v1 with my Tymaret deck, as all it does is use red Threaten effects to steal and launch your dudes at your own face.

Lazav for mill strategies is fun, tooooo.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlternateNu posted:

Heroic only triggers once per spell regardless of how many times you target it. Otherwise, I would be playing Hidden Strings Heroic as my actual standard deck instead of just a fun one.

Edit: I just realized I may have read your post wrong. If you're saying to target two different guys, of course you get two triggers.

Right. You still get to trigger two heroic guys if you have them, but otherwise since it targets twice you can dump BOTH targets onto one guy and not lose value. Reap only lets you drop one counter on one guy if that's all you have.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Threw this modern vampire deck together in about 5 minutes.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rb-vampires-20-03-14-1/

Thinking about it, I probably don't need 4 Gatekeepers and I don't even know if I even need red. Thought about putting in stuff like Bloodline Keeper, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Mirri the Cursed etc. but I have literally never played modern and don't know if they are too slow or strong.

e: I also have no idea what to put in sideboard

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
Does anyone have any experience with R/W heroic? I really like the idea of Phalanx leader, coordinated assault, and akroan crusader, and then finishing with Tajic. My biggest issues right now have been with quick burn or counter decks that take out my dudes before I can turn everyone into true american heroes.

I put together a prototype deck with cards I had but I was missing some cards so let's just pretend I have the deck below. Super cheap deck besides the random mutavault I happened to have.

Deck: r/w heroic

//Main
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Akroan Skyguard
2 Anax and Cymede
2 Arena Athlete
3 Coordinated Assault
3 Favored Hoplite
2 Flamespeaker Adept
3 Gods Willing
3 Madcap Skills
10 Mountain
1 Mutavault
2 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Phalanx Leader
10 Plains
2 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Titan's Strength

Display deck statistics

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If you're going the Gift route there was an early deck that tried Gifting up a High Priest of Penance and riding it to some really hilarious interactions, plus shutting off any ground attacker unless they can prevent the trigger from going off. It *can* work, I've seen it happen. When it doesn't happen is because they target their removal for a 2 drop 1/1. So it still works out. Try it out and let us know. :D

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

moot4king posted:

Threw this modern vampire deck together in about 5 minutes.

Thinking about it, I probably don't need 4 Gatekeepers and I don't even know if I even need red. Thought about putting in stuff like Bloodline Keeper, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Mirri the Cursed etc. but I have literally never played modern and don't know if they are too slow or strong.

e: I also have no idea what to put in sideboard

Falkenrath Aristocrat is the only one on that list close enough for modern. I think Olivia is too midrangey for what this deck wants to do. You really need Kalastria Highborn in there which can let you combo people out with Viscera Seer or Aristocrat. More fetches make your Bloodghasts more returnable and abuseable, but I understand the price factor. Vampire Lacerator is another one drop you could play. I would also not play nighthawk in modern.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Falkenrath Aristocrat is the only one on that list close enough for modern. I think Olivia is too midrangey for what this deck wants to do. You really need Kalastria Highborn in there which can let you combo people out with Viscera Seer or Aristocrat. More fetches make your Bloodghasts more returnable and abuseable, but I understand the price factor. Vampire Lacerator is another one drop you could play. I would also not play nighthawk in modern.

I also think Blade of the Bloodchief is too durdly. Needs more Slaughter Pact and/or Dismember.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I'm working on a Standard RUG Monsters deck for FNM:

http://www.mtgvault.com/traslin/decks/hydra-raid/

A twist on Gruul Monsters by adding blue. Thassa provides additional win conditions with the unblockable, and she allows you to go through your deck even faster. Kiora's Followers are more versatile than Voyaging Satyrs. Curse of the Swine is superior creature control compared to Mizzium (takes care of Desecration Demons). Catch provides a possibly win condition and allows you to steal Planeswalkers.

Comments would be appreciated.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

traslin posted:

I'm working on a Standard RUG Monsters deck for FNM:

http://www.mtgvault.com/traslin/decks/hydra-raid/

A twist on Gruul Monsters by adding blue. Thassa provides additional win conditions with the unblockable, and she allows you to go through your deck even faster. Kiora's Followers are more versatile than Voyaging Satyrs. Curse of the Swine is superior creature control compared to Mizzium (takes care of Desecration Demons). Catch provides a possibly win condition and allows you to steal Planeswalkers.

Comments would be appreciated.

I'd suggest cutting Xenagos for Kiora. Kiora + Courser + Domri, as said by Adrian Sullivan on the select side of SCG the other day, is just insane.

Also Stormbreath Dragon is way better than most of the hydras, Arbor Colossus and Polly is generally a better out to Desecration Demon than Curse of the Swine, and Kiora's Followers just seems too weak.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

Can you explain why you wouldn't play Nighthawk?

ScarletBrother posted:

I also think Blade of the Bloodchief is too durdly. Needs more Slaughter Pact and/or Dismember.

+2 Swamp
-2 Mountain

-2 Olivia
-2 Gatekeeper
-4 Bloodghast
-4 Nighthawk
-3 Blade of the Bloodchief

+2 Falkenrath Aristocrat
+4 Kalastria Highborn
+3 Vampire Lacerator
+3 Slaughter Pact (might switch to dismember)
+3 Viscera Seer
I think that was changes I made

Probably a bad question, but how should I use the synergy between Viscera Seer/Aristocrat/Highborn? I don't want to cripple myself by killing my own board.

Thanks for the advice!

moot4king fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 21, 2014

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Zoness posted:

I'd suggest cutting Xenagos for Kiora. Kiora + Courser + Domri, as said by Adrian Sullivan on the select side of SCG the other day, is just insane.

Also Stormbreath Dragon is way better than most of the hydras, Arbor Colossus and Polly is generally a better out to Desecration Demon than Curse of the Swine, and Kiora's Followers just seems too weak.

I don't have Stormbreath, but I threw in some Hypersonic Dragons for now. I also replaced the followers with Kiora because it was hard to think of a situation where I would prefer a follower to Kiora. I am running a ton of 3 drops now, but I think it is doable.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Running this list tonight. Anyone got any change suggestions?
http://deckstats.net/deck-3792040-d52b8baee21bac73cc7d19e09cdffd47-en.html

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

I would consider adding Curse of the Swine. It exiles so can be used against indestructible creatures (Gods), and it also doubles as a pseudo board wipe.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'd prefer more Hero's Downfall over Putrefy. Outside of maybe a god weapon or two, you won't be dealing with many artifacts. I'd also go with a full set of Breeding Pools over 2 Temples of Mystery.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Was bored on MTGO last night and had 2 tickets to build a new deck with so I cam up with this.

http://www.mtgvault.com/nissir/decks/bogangels/

Went 10-4 in the just for fun standard area and got a whole lotta hate. It beat your standard monblack devotion and a few versions of red green monsters, but totally folded to any fast red deck wins or Borros burn. Gift on a Hart means pulling 2 lands a turn forever and holding off giant creatures with a Thrill Kill Assassin makes me a bit giddy.

While a game 1 win on someone who has no clue what is going on is common, I can only assume that game 2/3 would get me sideboarded to death fairly fast.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
This deck is pretty janky but I have all the cards and I was thinking it's so silly and unorthodox I should play it at FNM. Any chance of success?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/police-brutality-at-an-all-time-high-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
I love me some janky! Perhaps a Sphinx's Revelation or two? But having good cards isn't janky, and with the god in there not sure how much card draw you will need bouncing creatures back and forth.

• Locked thread