Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

John Cena posted:

I know Dreamer and Punk did an ROH show while under contract, and the Colons are allowed to work WWC, but what are some other examples of wrestlers under WWE Contract wrestling outside of the company?

ADR recently did some work in Mexico in his dad's fed. And Lawler, if non-wrestlers under contract count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I can't remember who, but in 97 the company got big money from a Japanese company (maybe WAR?) to have a top star or two do matches in Japan. WWE was so hard up for money at that point they couldn't turn it down.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's worth noting that WWE wrestlers used to be able to take third party bookings on off days. Mick Foley mentions showing up to Over The Edge in 98 really burned out before his match with Austin, because he spent the night before in a high school gym doing a spot on an Indy show for an obscene amount of money.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

It's worth noting that WWE wrestlers used to be able to take third party bookings on off days. Mick Foley mentions showing up to Over The Edge in 98 really burned out before his match with Austin, because he spent the night before in a high school gym doing a spot on an Indy show for an obscene amount of money.

I think that's technically still possible, if only under the idea that the talent is still 'independent contractors' but in reality, the WWE office is not going to sign off on Daniel Bryan working for Bumfuck Championship Wrasslin' the night before SummerSlam or something.

Lawler's always been able to work indies, though. And am I crazy or does Cena not occasionally appear (though not actually 'work') on his dad's promotion's shows?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe it was they both have four wins, I don't remember. It was in the 2K14 Mania mode.

Bundy only had four Wrestlemania matches. He was 1-3.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

When did wrestlers having multiple finishers become common?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In the late 80s/really early 90s WWF, were the Japanese wrestlers like Orient Express legit superstars in Japan? Also, how were they brought up in vignettes in the WWF?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

When did wrestlers having multiple finishers become common?

Is it really that common now outside of top talent who have been around forever? I mean do new guys in the WWE get multiple finishers?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
A fair number of guys have a submission as well as a slam/strike finish, even if they almost never use it, like Sheamus' cloverleaf and Ziggler's sleeper.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hockles posted:

In the late 80s/really early 90s WWF, were the Japanese wrestlers like Orient Express legit superstars in Japan? Also, how were they brought up in vignettes in the WWF?

Only one of the members of the Orient Express was actually born in Japan.

Sato was one of the orginal members of All Japan and won the tag titles a couple times, but apparently spent most of his career in the States. Tanaka was Hawaiian born and competed in Memphis and the AWA before he went to the WWF. Kato was a white Canadian who teamed with Tanaka in the AWA.

As far as the latter part of your question, it was a very long time ago but from what I remember they were typical foreign heels and I don't remember them getting much in the way of mic time or vignettes.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 20, 2014

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Is it really that common now outside of top talent who have been around forever? I mean do new guys in the WWE get multiple finishers?

Taker, Cena, Bryan, Big Show, Christian...Sandow? Come to mind. I think Miz too.

Rey has several follow ups to the 619. I feel like Ryback has won with the meat hook but shellshock is clearly his real finisher.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Taker, Cena, Bryan, Big Show, Christian...Sandow? Come to mind. I think Miz too.

Rey has several follow ups to the 619. I feel like Ryback has won with the meat hook but shellshock is clearly his real finisher.

most of those guys have been around forever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has Orton ever used a submission finisher? I'm struggling to think of what could fit him.

Although now that Punk's gone, I suppose he could steal the Anaconda Vice. :unsmigghh:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sticklefifer posted:

Has Orton ever used a submission finisher? I'm struggling to think of what could fit him.

Headlock

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sticklefifer posted:

Although now that Punk's gone, I suppose he could steal the Anaconda Vice. :unsmigghh:
I would truly have loved to see Ryback use the running knee strike in the corner into bulldog in the middle of the ring just once after Punk left.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Hockles posted:

Headlock

He tried to get that weird boston crab over. It's called Billygoats Curse in WWE2K14.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MisterGBH posted:

He tried to get that weird boston crab over. It's called Billygoats Curse in WWE2K14.

That's one of Colt's moves which is why it's called that in the game.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MrJacobs posted:

Most guys that were big in the 80's and 90's seem only have the one finisher, leg drop, stunner etc. I'm just wondering when multiple finishers became more prevalent. My knowledge of Japanese wrestling is pretty limited, but it seems like top guys using alternate finishers started much earlier than it did in American wrestling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Most guys that were big in the 80's and 90's seem only have the one finisher, leg drop, stunner etc. I'm just wondering when multiple finishers became more prevalent. My knowledge of Japanese wrestling is pretty limited, but it seems like top guys using alternate finishers started much earlier than it did in American wrestling.

I am trying now to think of who definitely had two finishers that were both pushed as finishers at the same time (there were lots of guys who changed finishers). The Rock and Kurt Angle spring to mind, although the Angle slam always got a 2.9 after he started doing the ankle lock.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Terry Funk had the piledriver and the spinning toe hold.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I seem to remember the multiple finisher thing take off in ECW where everyone had 2-3 named finishers.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think Nova had like six.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Orton should use the Dragon Sleeper. It's like a headlock, so he can probably do it reasonably well, and it would be another finisher that's a thousand times better than the rest of his performance.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

MassRafTer posted:

I can't remember who, but in 97 the company got big money from a Japanese company (maybe WAR?) to have a top star or two do matches in Japan. WWE was so hard up for money at that point they couldn't turn it down.
I know Undertaker wrestled Hakushi in '97 in Michinoku Pro/WWF cross-promotion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Harley Race had multiple moves that could be a finish, but I don't know that any of them were specifically noted as finishers. He shouldn't really count.

MrJacobs posted:

I think the reason you see a lot of multiple finishers now is that the company wants to be able to feature different kinds of highspots in big matches, and because their main event talent ranges in size from Daniel Bryan all the way to the Big Show--if Punk can't pick up Show for the GTS or even get his arms around his body for the Anaconda Vice, he can drop the elbow. No newbie who gets saddled with the Overdrive will ever have to use it on the Big Show.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am trying now to think of who definitely had two finishers that were both pushed as finishers at the same time (there were lots of guys who changed finishers). The Rock and Kurt Angle spring to mind, although the Angle slam always got a 2.9 after he started doing the ankle lock.
Did Hogan use his legdrop as well as the AXU BOMBAH in Japan?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the WWE count Undertakers win over Atrain and Show as one win or two, for purposes of the number the Streak is up to?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm reminded of Sami Zayn, a dude that has three finishers that are not finishers it all depends really (big boot in the corner, tornado DDT - which is his "true" finisher and a Koji Clutch). Koji might be stretching it, but the boot and the tornado DDT got a number of pins in NXT. Rollins was a bit like that for a while, although I suppose the Blackout is now his defacto finisher.

Also on the list of NXT performers with multiple finishers, Paige just got the Scorpion Crosslock in addition to her Paige Turner. I guess rule of thumb is, if you're getting a push and your finisher has some weird setup/you're too small to hit it on the huge guys, you get a second one. Pretty much what Halloween Jack said.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Does the WWE count Undertakers win over Atrain and Show as one win or two, for purposes of the number the Streak is up to?

Just one win. For simplicity's sake they just go to one a year. Also it's probably best that no one remembers that match at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Why would they count it as two? It was a single match. It was 2-on-1 but it was just one match, that he won, ergo one win for his streak.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Endorph posted:

Why would they count it as two? It was a single match. It was 2-on-1 but it was just one match, that he won, ergo one win for his streak.

Guess it depends, if they share one tombstone in the graveyard of Undertaker Mania opponents or if they are crammed into one casket

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Guess it depends, if they share one tombstone in the graveyard of Undertaker Mania opponents or if they are crammed into one casket

It's all just one mass grave to save on expenses.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Taker's said stuff like "21 people have stepped up, 21 people have been put down" or something like that. Just an idle passing curiosity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rotinaj posted:

Taker's said stuff like "21 people have stepped up, 21 people have been put down" or something like that. Just an idle passing curiosity.

Its to make up for the DQ at WM 9.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

rotinaj posted:

Also to make up for Kane getting put down twice.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That second match was actually pretty cool with Kane going "You're not real!" and pawing around like Taker was a hallucination.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

Also to make up for Kane getting put down twice.

He also beat Shawn Michaels twice, and HHH three times.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
"16 people have stepped up, and 16 people have been put down, but for a total of 21 times, because a few of them stepped up more than once."

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Diabolik900 posted:

He also beat Shawn Michaels twice, and HHH three times.

I think that quote happened before the 2nd Michaels match :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

On the subject of multiple finishers, I always found it funny that Jericho's de-facto finisher was the Walls, yet if you look at the record of him using it, it very rarely actually won the match.

It's like Flair and the Figure Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

On the subject of multiple finishers, I always found it funny that Jericho's de-facto finisher was the Walls, yet if you look at the record of him using it, it very rarely actually won the match.

It's like Flair and the Figure Four.

I feel like I can also count the number of times I've seen him actually hit the Lionsault on one hand (though I stopped watching regularly around 2003, so I could be missing a lot).