Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess the question is, which one allows you to break the game over your knee easier, even if you're a total dumbdumb like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

ImpAtom posted:

It has more nodes but the only way you will notice it significantly is if you seriously go absolutely crazy with mid-maxing.

Expert kind of allows you to put anyone down any path basically. It's most significant for Kimhari because you can make him useful more easily.

Does this freedom actually translate to the characters in spite of their intended roles? What I mean is, even though I can't imagine where Lulu fits on the ground/flying/armored type of physical attacks is it actually possible to make her a relevant attacker? Because I think I may have found my new favorite FF if I am able to send in a cactaur to do bawla damage without overgrinding. I know that will make her overdrive pretty lackluster but screw that, her attack animation has always been one of my favorites.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

Does this freedom actually translate to the characters in spite of their intended roles? What I mean is, even though I can't imagine where Lulu fits on the ground/flying/armored type of physical attacks is it actually possible to make her a relevant attacker? Because I think I may have found my new favorite FF if I am able to send in a cactaur to do bawla damage without overgrinding. I know that will make her overdrive pretty lackluster but screw that, her attack animation has always been one of my favorites.

Not really. That's why I mentioned Kimhari. Wakka still has range, Auron and Kimhari still have piercing weapons, there's only so much variety you can get with the characters as built.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

ImpAtom posted:

Not really. That's why I mentioned Kimhari. Wakka still has range, Auron and Kimhari still have piercing weapons, there's only so much variety you can get with the characters as built.

drat you Square, you really are the worst.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Customizing like that only exists in the postgame, when you can start making weapons that would actually work for the characters.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess the question is, which one allows you to break the game over your knee easier, even if you're a total dumbdumb like me?

If you want to break the game, do the Expert Grid. Teach everyone Steal/Use early on, and thrash everything with how broken items are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Systematic System posted:

If you want to break the game, do the Expert Grid. Teach everyone Steal/Use early on, and thrash everything with how broken items are.

Will do, thanks!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The GIG posted:

Customizing like that only exists in the postgame, when you can start making weapons that would actually work for the characters.

Or you can just get the Celestial Weapons at that point, since they're objectively better than anything you could ever customise. Even if you make a weapon with all the same skills it's still straight up worse because they all have an extra, hidden skill that makes it so they completely ignore target defense.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dragonatrix posted:

Or you can just get the Celestial Weapons at that point, since they're objectively better than anything you could ever customise. Even if you make a weapon with all the same skills it's still straight up worse because they all have an extra, hidden skill that makes it so they completely ignore target defense.

They were talking about crafting a weapon to turn someone like Lulu into a physical attack powerhouse. Her celestial weapon only helps her be a better Lulu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well you can at least make Yuna the Black Mage and Lulu the White Mage. That's customization! :v:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are there Kao Megura-level definitive guides for FFX/X-2?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Another issue with wacky classes and the expert grid is starting stats still help a ton. I played FF10-Int a while back and mixed everybody up. Stuff like Rikku on Auron's path wasn't an issue since piercing costs a whole lv.2 keysphere but swapping Wakka and Lulu hurt a lot because they had a lot of ground to make up for with their starting stats. By the Calm Lands Wakka was still doing awful damage and Lulu couldn't hit poo poo like bugs. I still had fun playing with my messed up party as half my party went down whatever way felt right at the time on the sphere grid. I'd recommend trying it if you've played FF10 before just to spice it up a bit because it's still the same easy game you can break if you decide to grind aeon overdrives nevermind the other dozen ways to snap the game like a dry twig.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I chose expert but made everyone go down their default path. I just want Kimahri to be able to do SOMETHING (he's a thief)

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004
I just picked up HD for PS3 today - and it's been awhile since I've played so I don't remember if it was like this on PS2, but one of the first things I noticed is that Tidus' eyes are creeping me out. It's like those soulless doll eyes that are staring at you from every direction.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying it so far, I'm personally enjoying the music, although I haven't gotten that far in to make a full judgement yet. I'm trying my hardest to resist going right into X-2, we'll see how long that lasts though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

They were talking about crafting a weapon to turn someone like Lulu into a physical attack powerhouse. Her celestial weapon only helps her be a better Lulu.

It also makes her a better physical attacker. Because that's kind of their thing; whenever you hit something, it ignores the normal damage calculation and takes enemy defence as 0 no matter what you're fighting. Celestial weapons are, in every way, straight up better than a random crafted weapon.

Heck, in a way, Lulu's and Yuna's celestials are more predisposed to turning them into melee fighters, because they deal most damage at full MP. As soon as they start casting spells, their damage output drops.

e; vvv End-game Lulu has highest potential damage output. In very, very specific and archaicly weird circumstances, she can easily outdamage even a max-stat perfect Attack Reels. No, really, this is a thing. It's useless, but it's true all the same.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 20, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
In the post-game of X, only two things really matter: Overdrives, and animation speed. All the melee hitters have quick animation speeds for melee, and Tidus and Wakka have the most useful (read: multi-hit) Overdrives. Lulu has neither a useful Overdrive, nor a quick animation speed, hence she is the worst character possible for end-game. I usually use Wakka/Tidus/Rikku, just so I don't have to train a second party when I need to fight in water or not.

Celestial Weapons actually have various damage related modifiers depending on the weapon (Yuna/Lulu do more damage the closer they are to full MP, Wakka/Tidus/Rikku do more damage the closer they are to full HP, and Auron does more damage the less HP he has (75% at full HP, 100% at 3/4th's HP, 200% at 5% HP.), but its so easy to hit the damage cap, it doesn't really matter.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey there's one thing I just thought of - in FFX, summons scale off of Yuna's stats. So is it feasible to put her down a physical attacking path on the Expert grid? Won't it make her summons hit harder throughout the game? I would need someone else to be the White Mage though.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Yes that would work. They actually scale very quickly, so even when Yuna is wimpy (from the Standard Grid), Bahamut and Anima can be extremely strong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hey there's one thing I just thought of - in FFX, summons scale off of Yuna's stats. So is it feasible to put her down a physical attacking path on the Expert grid? Won't it make her summons hit harder throughout the game? I would need someone else to be the White Mage though.

It seems like it wouldn't take much grinding at all to have Lulu pull double duty as a White/Black hybrid. The game is easy enough after all and she can switch back and forth between those paths quickly. I mean, I'm guessing, from what I can tell so far; I'm not very far.

It's weird that Tidus is the only one that looks really "plastic" and fakey in this version. Yuna's eyes and facial structure are a bit weirdly different, but Lulu looks quite a bit better, and so do Wakka and Rikku. Tidus looks even more like a chipmunk than he already did. :v:

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!
It's going to take me awhile to get around to playing, but can anyone confirm if the Festival dressphere is in the FFX-2 remaster?

I'm sorry, I just really love that class system and was hoping I'd finally get to see those outfits/skills. :ohdear:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Yeah. And psychic shows up once you've won the first Monster Arena tourney.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad Psychic is easy and early to get, because it's really useful (as is Festival).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Expert grid is pretty fun. Tidus Auron and Kimahri all learned Haste very early on, and Yuna has taken a quick detour through Lulu's grid to grab all the -ra spells. Steal is also within reach of just about everyone. Just imagine the old sphere grid but with the Sphere Locks mostly gone (or reduced to level 1).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

It seems like it wouldn't take much grinding at all to have Lulu pull double duty as a White/Black hybrid. The game is easy enough after all and she can switch back and forth between those paths quickly. I mean, I'm guessing, from what I can tell so far; I'm not very far.

It's weird that Tidus is the only one that looks really "plastic" and fakey in this version. Yuna's eyes and facial structure are a bit weirdly different, but Lulu looks quite a bit better, and so do Wakka and Rikku. Tidus looks even more like a chipmunk than he already did. :v:

I was thinking maybe Kimahri can go down the thief path for a bit then back to White Mage, but it does look like the Black and White magic skills can overlap pretty easily. It's not like his overdrive is useful enough to plan around. Reading up about it, Yuna starts at 5 str and some of the characters start at 20 so even if you do take her down the warrior path she'll be pretty lovely at it.

The good thing about the Sphere Grid is you can't really permanently mess up your characters but you sure can make it tedious to get them back on track if you mess it up.

And yeah something is definitely up with Tidus' cheeks but the game looks really nice so far. The battles look MUCH better but I'm guessing that's mainly the UI overhaul. I'm on Vita but I imagine the PS3 version looks the same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never used him in the original, why exactly is Kimhari so bad anyway? Is Blue Magic just not good in X or are his problems deeper than that?

Also would it be viable to make Rikku a heavy hitting fighter instead of thief/chemist?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

I never used him in the original, why exactly is Kimhari so bad anyway? Is Blue Magic just not good in X or are his problems deeper than that?

Also would it be viable to make Rikku a heavy hitting fighter instead of thief/chemist?

Kimahri's actually not that bad. From an optimization viewpoint he's worse, because his Overdrive runs off Magic but he's really best off taking down a physical path to make use of his high physical starting stats and Lancet. Going down Lulu's path is horrible, since he'll gain new Black Magic much slower.

Rikku's and Wakka's routes are the best for him. Rikku's can be done before she joins proper, allowing him to progress faster than her, and can even get into Yuna's route further ahead than she is once you hit Spherimorph. Wakka is also nice - Kimahri makes better use of Wakka's abilities since he can recharge his MP through Lancet, and Wakka's route has a good balance of Strenth and Magic. Tidus' is also good since there are a lot of nice skills that eat away at Tidus' MP pool while Kimahri can just recover it, and Quick Hit is brilliant for anybody.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 20, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I think the biggest thing that's off for me is Tidus's eyes. They're set too high in his head and the blue colour is unrealistic. I can see the plasticy look to his face as well but man those eyes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you use the Expert Grid and like me forgot that Power Spheres almost never drop at the beginning of the game, make your first priority putting Extract Power on Tidus.

Also, teach Lancet to everybody, or at least Lulu and Yuna, for Easy Mode.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The beforeiplay wiki thing for FFX says to avoid Yuna because summons are useless. I'm going to use her anyway because summons are really fun but I could have sworn I remember some of them being really powerful.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Brasseye posted:

The beforeiplay wiki thing for FFX says to avoid Yuna because summons are useless. I'm going to use her anyway because summons are really fun but I could have sworn I remember some of them being really powerful.
Anima in particular is loving ridiculous in the International version and does something stupid like 2 million damage with Oblivion. Not enough to kill the superbosses, but pretty much anything else dies immediately.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought each Aeons stats were tied to a different party member because you need to break their damage limits by unlocking celestial weapons.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought each Aeons stats were tied to a different party member because you need to break their damage limits by unlocking celestial weapons.
I'm pretty sure Anima can already do 99999 damage per hit when you get her, might be wrong though because I haven't played FFX in a while (waiting for the PAL release of the HD version tomorrow).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah, that's just with the celestials, everything else runs off of Yuna and the stat customizing that you unlock about a third of the way in.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

precision posted:

Because in the original game he didn't have a sphere grid to go down so you pretty much had to wait until you picked up enough key spheres to unlock rikku's grid to make him effective and by then he is waaaaaay behind. Otherwise you had learned ultima 10% of the way through the game but had a laughable magic stat and no MP. The blue magic Stone Breath is one of the best attacks in the game but blue magic becomes extremely inefficient once you unlock the calm lands and capture weapons.

Yes with the expert grid you can send rikku down a fighter path pretty easily but it is a waste since items and stealing are extremely effective and Auron Tidus Wakka are already more than sufficient at fighting.

Brasseye posted:

that's dumb. aeon overdrives are the easiest way to get overkills which are extremely useful for getting double AP and double items from boss fights.

e: don't use them for regular fights since you want to charge up auron/tidus' slayer bars for don tonberry levelling, but you should be overkilling every boss and the easiest way to do that is aeons

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 20, 2014

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
What would be a good guide to follow for a X playthrough probably using the original grid going for best possible case.

When I played on PS2, Tidus was so OP that he one-hit all the aeons in the final battle and was fast enough that he basically went first in every battle. Might be an exaggeration but it was 10 years ago gimme a break.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Nah, that's just with the celestials, everything else runs off of Yuna and the stat customizing that you unlock about a third of the way in.

Aeon minimum stats (before you factor in customizing them) are based off either a. Yuna's actual stats (both the sum of all her stats - HP/100 and MP/10, everything else face value - as well as, scaling better, the particular stat in question) or b. Yuna's battles fought; whichever one gives you a better result is what you'll get.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Seeing people discover the real version of FFX for the first time is magical :allears: I can't wait until you guys get to the Dark Aeons!

Protip: Get Auron's videolog thingy from Besaid BEFORE Dark Valefor sets up camp :suicide:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Seeing people discover the real version of FFX for the first time is magical :allears: I can't wait until you guys get to the Dark Aeons!

Protip: Get Auron's videolog thingy from Besaid BEFORE Dark Valefor sets up camp :suicide:

Also, if you don't pick up the Sun Crest as soon as possible, have fun with Dark Bahamut.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Saigyouji posted:

Also, if you don't pick up the Sun Crest as soon as possible, have fun with Dark Bahamut.

Argh. Yeah, I'm gonna need a list of missables/near missables in the game again. The only completely missable thing I remember there being is in Anima's temple? Might be a sphere required to unlock Anima. I'm not sure, it's been years.

PS: Please fight the urge to Yojimbo insta-kill every boss, it really takes away from the sense of achievement! Also, the best place to grind Dark Matter is Dark Yojimbo, who can be refought. Them's my tips, enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Anima's not permanently missable, but she does get a whole lot harder to unlock if you don't grab the destruction spheres first time round.