Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

pillsburysoldier posted:

Who else had "bad" intangibles.....

Terrell Pryor
Geno Smith
Jevan Snead
Ryan Mallett
John Beck (he brought weird religious dolls with him everywhere)

Terrelle Pryor's bad intangibles included selling autographs for $$$ he could send his poor single mother in the hood because the NCAA exploits their players. So they loop back around to good intangibles in the eyes of NFL execs because he loves his momma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Loving your mama is the ultimate intangible.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Toymachine posted:

Do some coaches have intangibles?

Cam Cameron with the dolphins was precious

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Loving your mama is the ultimate intangible.

But then again loving your prostitute mama is a bad intangible in the eyes of some.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think that depends on what kind of "lovin" we're talking about.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Well this conversation has taken an unfortunate turn

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ban everyone on this page including me

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, the offseason is getting to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Tim Tebow's intangibles were so amazing he refused to convert positions, so I'm pretty sure they only apply to quarterbacks. Just like 95% of football media bullshit.

Ah, the Eric Crouch level of intangibles. Truly Tebow is on a higher plane.

There are Nebraska fans in the world who would buy this.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sammy Watkins really wants to be a Lion.

quote:

“I think that would be crazy,” Watkins told FOXSports.com. “You wouldn’t be able to double-guard Megatron. You wouldn’t be able to double-guard me. Basically it would be pick your poison and then you have Golden Tate in the slot. He runs nice routes and is a very physical guy. Then you have Reggie Bush in the backfield. There would be a lot of speed in that offense.

“That’s the type of offense that I want to play in. It’s a very explosive offense. Being with good coaches, an older wide receiver and a quarterback would definitely help me out a lot.”

Do it, Mayhew, do it.

quote:

When asked if he would rather have a Hall of Fame career or win the Super Bowl, he kept his answer short and sweet.

“I would definitely say win a Super Bowl because I take pride in winning,” Watkins said. “I’ve never been on a team that’s lost much and I definitely love winning.

“It’s all about team effort and team goals.”

Oh...

Sometimes I wish the Lions would only draft reprehensible shits so they wouldn't have to waste the lives of decent people.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I gotta admit if I was an NFL player expected to possibly go high in the draft I'd be looking at team meetings with the likes of the Raiders and the Browns an opportunity to show I was weird as gently caress. I'd probably hit on one GM and Head coach and then the next team I went to have a muslim prayer mat and talk about healing crystals and chemtrails. poo poo no one would believe otherwise because every other meeting I'd be a model all american citizen.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I'd probably hit on one GM and Head coach and then the next team I went to have a muslim prayer mat and talk about healing crystals and chemtrails.

Good way to be drafted by Seattle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

Good way to be drafted by Seattle.

Great. Now every college player in the league is gonna start forwarding that poo poo on Facebook. Are you happy now, Disillusionist? :argh:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Toymachine posted:

Do some coaches have intangibles?

I'd imagine Bill Belichick has off the charts intangibles while Joe Philbin has like one.

Intangibles in coaches are a negative, as that's time spent away from game preparation.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Marvin Lewis has a great laugh.

A consummate pro takes the film onto his sex boat.
VVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 20, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am pretty sure work ethic can easily be measured by comparing film time to sex boat strip club smoking weed time ratio. It has to beat some espn made up stats.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really hate the idea of intangibles and I hate all of you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Intangibles don't make or break a prospect unless they're on the far spectrum, like snorting coke then robbing a kid's dorm room.

They still should be taken into account though, as with any job interview. Mostly it's hogwash when draft pundits talk about intangibles since that's like reporting on an interview you didn't sit in on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Intangibles don't make or break a prospect unless they're on the far spectrum, like snorting coke then robbing a kid's dorm room.

They still should be taken into account though, as with any job interview. Mostly it's hogwash when draft pundits talk about intangibles since that's like reporting on an interview you didn't sit in on.

That's pretty tangible still though. Robbing a dorm room, and snorting coke are both pretty loving tangible things.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

That's pretty tangible still though. Robbing a dorm room, and snorting coke are both pretty loving tangible things.

The intangible is that "He has off the field problems".

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You can tell intangibles are dumb because all the experts disagree on them. It's all subjective.

Usually guys who are "clutch" and "great under pressure" are actually just good players whose ability to play football well is magnified by the weight of end of game situations.

I do think leadership qualities and a cool demeanor can help players, but most of what people call intangibles are very subjective and overrated.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Also, everyone's definition is intangibles is totally different.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Of course they are, that's part of why they are intangible.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I always appreciated how dumb it was when Bill Simmons or some other podcast guy was talking about the 2009 QB class and he hypothesized that if Sanchez, Stafford, and Freeman were all taking a car trip together, that Sanchez would have the keys tossed to him. That's how you know he's got "it".

It was beautiful.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ozu posted:

I always appreciated how dumb it was when Bill Simmons or some other podcast guy was talking about the 2009 QB class and he hypothesized that if Sanchez, Stafford, and Freeman were all taking a car trip together, that Sanchez would have the keys tossed to him. That's how you know he's got "it".

It was beautiful.

Wow. That is loving something.

Link?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Ozu posted:

It was beautiful.

Yeah but that's because Stafford would be double fisting two burritos in the passenger seat and Freeman would be in the back rolling on molly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the Bengals are interested in Aaron Murray solely because every Georgia player they acquire somehow becomes a stud.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the Bengals are interested in Aaron Murray solely because every Georgia player they acquire somehow becomes a stud.

or nearly crippled

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

You're one to talk about crippled Georgia players.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's all academic in the short term because Dalton's going to look a lot better under Hugh.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

The intangible is that "He has off the field problems".

Yeah but it's not like those affect how great a player is on the field. They just increase the risk of the player not making it to the field.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ozu posted:

It was beautiful.

Hahahahahaha.

My god, I would love for someone to dig into the archives of old podcasts and ESPN broadcasts and compile a 20 minute compilation of pundits talking about lovely QBs' "intangibles" before draft day. TFF: The Movie

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Ozu posted:

It was beautiful.

It was Bill Simmons talking with Mike Lombardi.

He also had outstanding analysis such as that you have to have a lot of blue chip players and your team shouldn't be like a restaurant menu with too many options.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
im going to miss you buddy :(

quote:

Props to Missouri's Max Copeland, who wore a Metallica cutoff t-shirt and took a slap in the face from a teammate before benching.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Who was that Jaguars player who would get a trainer to slap the poo poo out of him before each game to get fired up?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

Who was that Jaguars player who would get a trainer to slap the poo poo out of him before each game to get fired up?

John Henderson I think

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G4JkfQ-Tgo&t=5s

Joe looks scared

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alex Smith and Harbaugh, too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

HAHAHAHAhahahaHAHAhaHAHAHaLololHAhahahahaHa

That's loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

im going to miss you buddy :(

Dude rules. Came on the team as an unknown walk-on and ended up starting. I hope the Raiders grab him with a 6th. It's a match made in heaven.

quote:

Around the Mizzou Athletics Training Complex, Copeland — a 6-foot-3, 300-pound senior left guard from Billings, Mont. — cuts an imposing figure, striding through the halls in his Motorhead T-shirt with a gallon jug of water in his hand.

“People always look really scared of me on campus,” he said. “I wish beards and long hair were more accepted in our society, but they’re not. … I would hope people saw me as warm, but I think people probably just see me as a crazed mountain man, which I think I’ll have to live with.”

While Copeland has embraced his rock ’n’ roll image, when he speaks, there’s an eloquence that belies the blare of his head-banger appearance.

He talks about self-actualization and fundamental laws of nature, describing the offensive line’s cohesion as “single cells in a petri dish coalescing into a single organism.”

Copeland’s enthusiasm and wit also readily shine through, whether he’s opining that Missouri left tackle Justin Britt’s daughter, Navy, seems perpetually terrified of “Uncle Max” or lamenting the fact that dogs won’t let him pet them, “which is a shame because I love dogs.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/25/4713478/mu-lineman-copeland-has-left-his.html#storylink=cpy

• Locked thread