Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'll never understand why there's always a significant percentage of people in game topics, TV topics, movie topics, you name it, who will say the newest thing is the worst thing ever. But then the next one will come out, and they'll be back again, without fail, complaining.

I once pointed this out on Television Without Pity and then I got banned.

~~~

That said, can someone explain why when the plot kept randomly changing second by second on the Meseeks episode, it was OK, but when it's done here (and with an actual cohesive reason for it, this time) it's not OK?

Better yet: Don't think about it.

I don't get it either. But i don't hate watch programs, if they poo poo me i stop watching it. I rarely get annoyed by shows i do enjoy watching.
But i never complain about things i get for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

The ones I didn't like were the ones where they were just rambling not sure where they were going with them.

It seems a few people didn't like these. My question is, what makes these not funny to you and others? The rambling nonsense was the funniest part of it for me. Try not to use a blanket statement like "too much like family guy".

It's the same with shows like ATHF and squidbillies. I'm watching cartoons to have fun and laugh at what I see, not be riveted by plot lines. The random improv is funny sometimes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, I mean, there's criticism like:

"I didn't enjoy that, it was too random and scattershot, and I didn't like the improvisational tone and spirit. I prefer a tighter script."

That's fine, you know? Everyone knows humor is subjective. Those of us who loved the episode aren't going to be making GBS threads all over you just because you have a reasonable opinion that we disagree with.

Then there's:
"That was just like Family Guy."
Which you should get poo poo on for saying because it was *nothing* like Family Guy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Humor is subjective and we all enjoy different things. Some people didn't enjoy it and they said that in this thread and people are getting weird about it. I don't like non-stop random humor in a full episode TV show because it exhausts me after a few minutes, which is why I thought the little bits would've been better sprinkled throughout many episodes instead of jammed into one long episode. The parents teetering on the edge of divorce/making up and being in love every episode has gotten old already to me as well. These may not have been your experiences and that's ok, but they were mine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought the latest episode was amazing, and probably the best single episode to sum up the show itself. I could've watched just the TV clips for the entire time, but the B plot was strong and calling back to Love Potion #9 was awesome.

Coincidentally I showed LP#9 to people last night and when the credits rolled there was nothing but silence. Perfect.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I hope nobody ever buys fakedoors.com because I much more enjoy the meta-joke that it doesn't open.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, I mean, there's criticism like:

"I didn't enjoy that, it was too random and scattershot, and I didn't like the improvisational tone and spirit. I prefer a tighter script."

That's fine, you know? Everyone knows humor is subjective. Those of us who loved the episode aren't going to be making GBS threads all over you just because you have a reasonable opinion that we disagree with.

Then there's:
"That was just like Family Guy."
Which you should get poo poo on for saying because it was *nothing* like Family Guy.

For me it's more that I was looking forward to what kind of alternate reality TV stuff they could come up with, rather than just Roiland riffing off in his head. I did watch it again and knowing beforehand what's going on, Roiland's improv is nothing short of amazing, and on second watch paying attention to the visual jokes they animated after the fact definitely makes it funnier.

It's fine, this show is gonna do some experimental things week to week and even if everything they do doesn't click with me, I'm glad they are taking chances.

Also I really like Morty's amazed "WHAT" after the fakedoors commercial goes back into a commercial.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zsinjeh posted:

I hope nobody ever buys fakedoors.com because I much more enjoy the meta-joke that it doesn't open.

It's belonged to Turner since June of last year.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My favorite part was the reaction at the end of the Turbulence Juice commercial.

"Sex sells WHAT?"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would find it irritating if it became the shows "thing" that they would do each episode, but I liked it as a concept for one episode. The only scene I didn't like was the first one with the corn people because it was a normal, not funny scene, but with corn people. I don't want to say "Family Guy", but gently caress, that one was definitely Family Guy levels of "funny".

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also not all non-sequitors are random monkey cheese humor when each and every one of the long-form commercials were actual jokes with a setup and punchline, just ones that were unexpected or bizarre. It's hit-or-miss whether you liked them or not. I didn't like the cereal one, for example, because I don't find grotesque hyperviolence funny. But I loved the fake doors and ants-in-my-eyes-Johnson ones a bunch, because they're just silly-as-poo poo in consistent ways.

It's a lot different from idiot nerds talking about how random they are for talking about pie. That's monkey cheese, this is non-sequitor. It's a form of humor that can be done well.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

EL BROMANCE posted:

Coincidentally I showed LP#9 to people last night and when the credits rolled there was nothing but silence. Perfect.

I showed that one to my drunk very stoned friend a few nights ago and I think it blew his loving mind. He couldn't shut up about it.

I don't know how this show makes nihilism heart warming but it does and it does it so well. Loved the new episode. Particularly enjoyed Jerry trying to watch tv only to have Rick be a giant dick to him.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked this episode. A nice release of all the messed up stuff that happens to this family. Morty's LP#9 callback just slid into place perfectly, and the random other shows getting more and more improve as time passed and you realized it was all a single take that had been animated and spliced into the main show. It all fit so well from all the disarray at the start.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Goredema posted:

Did anyone else have the exact same reaction as Rick when the fakedoors.com ad wrapped back around to being an ad again? I don't really want to analyze why that blew me away, but it really did.
I knew it couldn't go anywhere (because the doors were fake) but would have watched all day to see.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

JT Jag posted:

That and to piss off spergs who realize she shouldn't be there.

Like me.

Looks like Jaime's got two hands but he's in King's Landing with his dad who is Hand of the King at the minute, what's all that about?

It's a nice touch that all the heights are inverted and Tywin is shorter than Cersei. Like, in this version of the universe being as short as possible gives you a commanding presence.

I wish Gregor Clegane was in shot.

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
Most episodes of this show seem to be a genius plot stapled to a half-backed plot, and this episode was the most extreme example. Everything in this episode that wasn't Roiland self-indulgently making GBS threads himself on a TV screen was gold, but my god, I could hardly bear to watch some of those TV sketches.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I don't understand why people hated the random channel stuff - it was brilliant for one simple reason that I feel a lot of people are missing:
The A plot - Morty's mom and dad coming to understand and strengthen their relationship, Summer's realization she was a mistake and coming to terms with it, and Morty's subsequent revelation that sets that in motion: Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone's going to die - so just enjoy what is and don't question it. (Really, "Just don't question it" has been a running thread throughout the entire show.)

The entirety of the B plot, every insane sketch, every increasingly ridiculous thing that happened for no reason at all, it completely hammers you over the head and wonderfully parallels the A plot. Truly - none of it matters, everything is ridiculous and without purpose, so you know what? Just sit back and enjoy it.

It was loving brilliant and the fact that some of the silly sketches happened to also be genuinely hilarious is really just a fantastic bonus.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'll never understand why there's always a significant percentage of people in game topics, TV topics, movie topics, you name it, who will say the newest thing is the worst thing ever. But then the next one will come out, and they'll be back again, without fail, complaining.

I once pointed this out on Television Without Pity and then I got banned.

A major portion of my post was how this was the first episode I didn't like. I guess the Family Guy comment was dumb, but it conveyed the idea that I thought the episode was more scattered than the prior ones which were relatively strictly plotted. And I have the fullest confidence that the show will be great next Monday.

And kas's point above probably is the best one I've heard. I gave it a second watch and it made a lot of sense with that lens. Regardless the humor fell flat as either lasting too long or being flawed concepts (from my personal perspective!) to begin with. A few of them were golden though, Gazorpazorpfield and Ants in My Eyes Johnson particularly.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
(One of) my favorite parts of the episode I only picked up on the second viewing: Rick's really content smile watching Ants-In-My-Eyes Johnson on fire.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
This show regularly has moments of genuine gold.

The cat lady thing.

Amazing. I feel slightly dirty for liking it so much.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I can share some of this stuff with you now that this episode is out.

Here are two vehicles i worked on from episode 8, I only did the coloring. I believe they were originally drawn by our super amazing prop designer Eunji Lee Roess! The final colors in the episode are not exactly the ones I have here, they would have been tweaked and corrected by our amazing color lead Jason Boesche

here are some background I worked on for episode 108! We were running late on some stuff so I got to help out with these backgrounds for the Rixty Minutes episode. the bottom two are from the two brothers sequence, I was a color artists, So i only did the coloring for these. I had some help from our amazing color, who took the time to show me exactly what the art direction was. He really helped show me how the lighting would work for the explosion sequence, which came out really nice!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

But where's the chimney? Is the TV satellite or cable? How does he get electricity?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Zsinjeh posted:

:doh:

Of course it doesn't open. Why would it?

And here I was expecting a full-fledged gag website offering fake doors for sale. The url joke zoomed over my head and landed in loving Peoria.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the episode, but let's be real. Almost anyone could have come up with those TV segments. In this instance, the only different between Justin Roiland and a college stoner pitching random goofy ideas is that Roiland has a budget and paid animators behind him. That doesn't mean it wasn't amusing, but let's not pretend it was some kind of work of genius.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Anony Mouse posted:

I enjoyed the episode, but let's be real. Almost anyone could have come up with those TV segments. In this instance, the only different between Justin Roiland and a college stoner pitching random goofy ideas is that Roiland has a budget and paid animators behind him. That doesn't mean it wasn't amusing, but let's not pretend it was some kind of work of genius.

Who's we?

I think the "here are a few improv bits from the room" is a perfectly valid thing on TV, especially when they admit to it.

I felt a strong Abed brothers influence. I'm not sure all the bits worked for me, but part of exploring a medium is misfiring, and the A plot was definitely effective, made me tear up a bit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Anony Mouse posted:

Also, Roiland is funnier than you and your stoner friends.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MariusLecter posted:

Also, Roiland is funnier than you and your stoner friends.
I mean I probably could have pitched that Two Brothers bit, but no way could I have come up with the mastery that was Ants In My Eyes Johnson or Fake Doors.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Meh, it's random improv. Some of it's going to be funny, some of it's not going to land, some of it's going to go on a bit too long.

The actual episode it was framed around was done well, typical Rick & Morty banter, with a touching, somewhat unexpected moment at the end. At least it isn't like a lot of other [as] shows, who do the random, seemingly careless humor, and let it seep into the entire plot.

And of course a bit of meta humor with nothing mattering, though in a clever way. Heck, they even foreshadowed it at the very start:

"What?! Why would he choose Veronica?"
"Because he loves her."
"Well if it's any consolation Summer, none of it mattered and the entire show was stupid."

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
If I wanted to watch random improv, I'd watch random improv. I watch a written comedy cartoon because I want to watch a written comedy cartoon and not random improv.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good thing the show is a story driven comedy then.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
A few pages back someone dismissed Jurassic Bark sad-hype as "boohoo, his dog died" - not going to argue that it is overrated, just wanted to say that whoever said that entirely missed the point of why it was so sad.

Anyway, loved the latest episode. I thought the A/B plots were well done and cohesive :shrug: a few of the tv bits fell flat but who cares... It's not like it ruined the ep. Compared to most [as] shows this one is especially plotted and light on the "random thoughts of high people" joke material

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 21, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved this episode so drat much. I had to pause after each TV show Rick and Morty were watching so I didn't miss anything from laughing so much. I don't think any of the shows fell flat with me.

Even the corn bit was funny for the sole reason that when one ear of corn gets shot, part of his "head" pops like popcorn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Couple of things I noticed on a second rewatch:

Roiland loses it at the end of a couple of bits, most obviously in the Two Brothers thing.

At the end when Beth is drinking by herself in the kitchen, she does the same kind of belching pronouncation that Rick does all the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If this is the quality of "filler" episodes, I have no complaints. Every show needs a little bit of padding if you don't want it to be a short run or burn out too quick. I thought that Jerry and Beth's bit at the end was remarkably well done.

I like the recurring theme that Rick, despite all his crazy unplanned bullshit, is teaching lessons to his family. Lawnmower Dog, Meeseeks and Destroys, and Rick Potion #9 all feature Rick giving someone technology he thinks will be misused but he does it anyway to them learn for themselves.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I absolutely loved this gag. In fact, the entire Hamsters In Butts World end scene was fantastic.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
The Iwo Jima Butt Hamster Memorial was amazing.

zoux posted:

Couple of things I noticed on a second rewatch:

Roiland loses it at the end of a couple of bits, most obviously in the Two Brothers thing.

At the end when Beth is drinking by herself in the kitchen, she does the same kind of belching pronouncation that Rick does all the time.

I'm pretty sure Dan Harmon did the Two Brothers bit. But I agree completely, it was great that they kept those parts in. You can really tell they had fun making this episode. And I love that they cast someone who can burp on command to play Rick's daughter. I hope we get to see more of drunk Beth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's Sarah Chalke by the way. And the voice of Summer is Kelsey Grammar's daughter!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

That's Sarah Chalke by the way. And the voice of Summer is Kelsey Grammar's daughter!

She channeled Elliot a little bit with that "I am a real doctor!"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

zoux posted:

There's another obvious laugh when Gazorpazorpfield says "bring me my loving enchiladas" too.

I want to buy a Garfield book and draw extra arms on him and Jon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buzkashi posted:

There's another obvious laugh when Gazorpazorpfield says "bring me my loving enchiladas" too.

I want to buy a Garfield book and draw extra arms on him and Jon now.

• Locked thread