Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Wales Grey posted:

To be fair, the only mechs that use them are Society super-Dezgra machines like the Osteon* and a couple variants of the Pariah/Septicemia.

*Warning: Osteon is made of 110% condensed bullshit, handle with care.

Not exactly. You know the Turkina, the Jade Falcon 95-ton Omnimech assault? The D config packs four of the biggest ATM launchers. The Society made an iATM version with their added electronics package. Bullshit, thy name is nearly 150 damage. Which can be fired indirectly. Or C3 linked.

Anyway, looking at the mission. There are a lot more than 10 clan 'mechs parked. I would dearly love to see the players get their hands on that Varangian, but given its placement I don't know if they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can indirect fire the HE rounds? They only have medium laser range.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

dis astranagant posted:

You can indirect fire the HE rounds? They only have medium laser range.

You can indirect fire all of it. Including the special ammos. They lose the streak ability if you do, but you can imagine what that does in a city.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Goon MVP is the Knight Wraith, Clan MVP is the Clan Orion.

Jesus God, this is an amazing looking match. I don't even know what to say.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

You can indirect fire all of it. Including the special ammos. They lose the streak ability if you do, but you can imagine what that does in a city.

Inside a city, with Septicemias as C3 spotters.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what clan mechs can we identify in the camp?

Also get backshots!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aww man, come on clanners, keep your chin up :( Also, if you guys win, there better be a clan/Marik alliance is all I'm saying.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

My e-mail is REDACTED. Could have sworn I gave it to you back then, but guess not! Can I get back on the rota, pretty please?

Quoting for new page.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 20, 2014

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Mechwarrior Renton reporting for duty! I swear at first I've read "Minty Linx" as my mech's designation :iia:

So, since I've got no BT tabletop experience, I'm going to ask for general advice in the thread as well.

I was thinking about moving to the edge of the tabletop, facing towards the map (in order to avoid getting shot in the back); is it a good idea, or do I risk getting showed out of the battle zone? Also, should I be moving through the woods, or should I be jumping? I could move to 2611, facing N/W and get two short range shots (maybe three, going ultra) on the Thug's side. Or should I follow the previous advice given to my fellow Minty Linx pilot and stick with him?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

Mechwarrior Renton reporting for duty! I swear at first I've read "Minty Linx" as my mech's designation :iia:

So, since I've got no BT tabletop experience, I'm going to ask for general advice in the thread as well.

I was thinking about moving to the edge of the tabletop, facing towards the map (in order to avoid getting shot in the back); is it a good idea, or do I risk getting showed out of the battle zone? Also, should I be moving through the woods, or should I be jumping? I could move to 2611, facing N/W and get two short range shots (maybe three, going ultra) on the Thug's side. Or should I follow the previous advice given to my fellow Minty Linx pilot and stick with him?

Stay with the other Mist Lynx and cover each other's back. There aren't any enemy aces out there, so you shouldn't have to worry about backshots much. Always Be Jumping. Remember to tell PTN what your facing is at the end of your jump.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There will be aces. Decent odds there will be mostly aces because void sig runs super hot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

dis astranagant posted:

There will be aces. Decent odds there will be mostly aces because void sig runs super hot.

You are not expected to survive. Die gloriously. If you can set up 10+ hex charges at enemy unit rears, enjoy.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

You are not expected to survive. Die gloriously. If you can set up 10+ hex charges at enemy unit rears, enjoy.

This cannot be overstated. You're expected to die three times. Do things that are awesome, and drat the consequences because there are none.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Good luck, Goonwarriors. And make this pretty.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Basically if a set of orders could have "Think of the glory!" as a reason for doing them you are on the right track.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
What a tweeest :parrot:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm not-so-secretly hoping that if the players manage to survive a certain number of rounds in their Phase 3 Mechs then House Marik will show up to give them backup.

...though I'm too far down on the pilot list to get a chance to be the Marik Cavalry, I can live vicariously through someone else. :D

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, what makes an Osteon bullshit? Reading the Sarna article it looks just fine to me.

And remember goons, cross the streams. Don't care about any kind of honor now that they've decided on a sneak attack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Osteon has max ferro-lamellor armor, C3, and 108/72/54 alpha strike damage that covers every range possible including some barely anything else can hit while also bringing some ridiculous disabling capabilities to bear. It's near immune to crits with all that ammo and both CASE II on top of reinforced structure. So yeah, more armor than an Atlas, about as much structure as 2 Atlases, enough ammo to wipe out a battalion and change (remember, this poo poo is Streak so misses don't use ammo), stacking resistances to critical hits, immunity to headcaps, AND enough damage to make wiping out that battalion pretty quick.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 20, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, that man has a racecar.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Osteon? I'm at long range, shooting as if at short, and you take +2 to hit and -2 MP every turn.

The other configs are like a list of cheeseball mechop phyla.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zikan posted:

Basically if a set of orders could have "Think of the glory!" as a reason for doing them you are on the right track.

I've spent 1062 pages waiting to DFA something, and now I've got a jumping mech :black101:

Still, I'm not sure about the effectivnes of such a manoeuvre in such a light mech...also, aren't we suppose to delay our demise as long as possible, during phase 1?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't forget the +3 heat from the salvo of EMP rounds and the 18 damage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

My e-mail is z4miniatures AT googlemail.com. Could have sworn I gave it to you back then, but guess not! Can I get back on the rota, pretty please?

Of course, you're up as an alternate now and you'll be called up next mission if we don't need any alternates.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm not-so-secretly hoping that if the players manage to survive a certain number of rounds in their Phase 3 Mechs then House Marik will show up to give them backup.

...though I'm too far down on the pilot list to get a chance to be the Marik Cavalry, I can live vicariously through someone else. :D

There is that Awesome sitting there in Goonknight colors, presumably the one that was put aside in favor of the Mountain Lion in the last mission...

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Guess Marik shouldn't have accepted their help, or delayed the match long enough for the Rim Worlds to set them up.
The Periphery scores again! (the NRWR hasn't committed any atrocities against the Taurians yet so I guess I can pretend there's some solidarity)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 20, 2014

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
So.. will it be 3x waves of 4? Or 1 wave of 4, then 2 waves of 5?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

garland336 posted:

So.. will it be 3x waves of 4? Or 1 wave of 4, then 2 waves of 5?

What?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Attention fellow Mechwarriors!
I have a googledoc set up. PM me or email me at gay (dot) abortions (at) gmail (dot) com to get access to it. Let's kill us some filthy fishy freebirths.

Sair
May 11, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

`Mech Tasers always make me laugh.

They're hilarious as long they aren't being deployed against you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

As tempting as it is to think of the glory and do crazy poo poo like DFAs and charges, that's specifically not your mission objective for phase one. These mechs are supposed to last as long as possible, so you should be looking to move as fast as you can, get into cover, and break line of sight to enemy mechs whenever you get the chance.

Oh sure, that might not sound like much fun, but if it takes whole turns extra for the Rim Worlders to kill you because they have to catch you first rather than trying and failing to win a slugging match when you're outclassed, you'll have done a better job.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dolash posted:

As tempting as it is to think of the glory and do crazy poo poo like DFAs and charges, that's specifically not your mission objective for phase one. These mechs are supposed to last as long as possible, so you should be looking to move as fast as you can, get into cover, and break line of sight to enemy mechs whenever you get the chance.

Oh sure, that might not sound like much fun, but if it takes whole turns extra for the Rim Worlders to kill you because they have to catch you first rather than trying and failing to win a slugging match when you're outclassed, you'll have done a better job.

I would advise "cautious but not overcautious." That is to say, you're outnumbered and possibly outgunned by dudes you can't see coming and who can run themselves into Ace status; you need to play defensively and play smart. That being said, you've also got replacement machines sitting in the wings, so if a high-risk, high-reward situation arises, don't be so cautious that you refuse to take it.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

So, if I'm gathering strategy right, we should probably try to hover around the edge of the currently-known clump of enemies and pick off stragglers with focused fire, ideally drawing them further from the camps? Will the enemies prioritize the light mechs shooting at them, or is there a chance we'll start shooting at them only to have them turn and just burn down all those pretty tents we're supposed to be protecting?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Speaking of the tents, are they going to be important the whole mission? I suppose it would be too much to assume that the people in the tents and the more important people in the command vehicles and such will take off running or something which will make it easier to focus on the more important objectives?

Seriously tents don't even have armor, why would anyone stay there in a mech fight?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bait them out, let them reveal themselves when they shoot, and then focus fire the crap out of them.

They're deceitful scum, so you don't even have to worry about your space-honour!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
If the Phase 1 Mechs zip around like missiles won't the NRWR strike force just zap the stationary objectives? Would be a bit weird if they obsessively try to kill the little ones when they can just accomplish their mission.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 20, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Seriously tents don't even have armor, why would anyone stay there in a mech fight?

As opposed to running around in the open where you're easy to see?

Real suggestion for new players: do battlefield triage. Categorize new `Mechs as they appear and prioritize the easy targets. I'd suggest:
Easily killable
Killable with effort
Eventually killable with excessive effort

And if you're not sure about where a `Mech falls, ask in the thread! They can't give you a rundown of the Blackguard designs but they can at least let you know how tough they're likely to be.

Readingaccount posted:

If the Phase 1 Mechs zip around like missiles won't the NRWR strike force just zap the stationary objectives? Would be a bit weird if they obsessively try to kill the little ones when they can just accomplish their mission.

They absolutely will, which is why the objective is 'Delay the enemy as long as possible' and not 'survive as long as possible.'

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Very interesting mission in how the participants are all either likeable or interesting (ymmv).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Does Amaris have facial hair in this timeline? I'd like to think that the fate of the Inner Sphere hangs in the balance between his mustache twirling and Duncan Marik's wiggling eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

They're Clan tents, they hold twice as many people and are twice as weather-resistant but take up half the space.

• Locked thread