Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maniaman posted:

I absolutely despise the way Server 2012 handles updates. You're a server, you should not automatically reboot on login or throw up a 15 minute countdown timer when I log in over remote desktop. Who thought this was a great idea for the default behavior?

As a default, absolutely. Group policy should be configuring this though and not allowing auto reboots. It should be one of the first things you do in any active directory environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

It should be one of the first things you do in any active directory environment.

Is there a big list of these anywhere?

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

As a default, absolutely. Group policy should be configuring this though and not allowing auto reboots. It should be one of the first things you do in any active directory environment.

Or let your SCCM environment handle patching etc :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss must have gotten bored at 10:39 last night, started emailing me while I was at the bar.

WHY IS THERE A FIREWALL RULE ALLOWING TRAFFIC FROM THE INTERNET TO A MACHINE NAMED 'UBUNTU'

It's a Linux box for testing

WHAT THE HELL FOR

It's useful to have a box outside our internal network for doing tests and ...

WELL WHY THE HELL DOES IT NEED INBOUND ACCESS

Umm in case we have to test outward connectivity from our network to something? Just delete the rule I'm not arguing with you at 10:30 at night.

WHAT ARE YOU HOSTING ON IT?

There's nothing even installed on it.

YOU CAN EXPLAIN IN THE MORNING

No. Just remove the rule. I'm not going to debate with you the things I use to do my job.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Boss must have gotten bored at 10:39 last night, started emailing me while I was at the bar.

WHY IS THERE A FIREWALL RULE ALLOWING TRAFFIC FROM THE INTERNET TO A MACHINE NAMED 'UBUNTU'

WHAT THE HELL FOR

Umm in case we have to test outward connectivity from our network to something? Just delete the rule I'm not arguing with you at 10:30 at night.

No. Just remove the rule. I'm not going to debate with you the things I use to do my job.

Why were you responding at 10:39?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How have you not nutted the guy yet?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Just because you can change stupid default settings doesn't make them any less stupid. In fact, it makes them a trap.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off:

:v: This Citrix box can easily support 20+ people at once.
:downs: Are you sure about that? It only has 8GB RAM.
:v: Sure, that's not a problem at all.

Some time later

:downs: Everyone is getting "out of memory" errors, and all other kinds of strange errors from the ALM client
:v: Oh, it seems like that Citrix server is making GBS threads the bed. I'll just reboot it.

Now, I realize that the three-finger salute does, in fact, solve a massive number of issues rapidly and with no troubleshooting, and this particular Citrix server can in fact be rebooted without a lot of drama. I just don't understand why so many sysadmins use it as the first troubleshooting step.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

scroogle nmaps posted:

ifconfig eth0
and then grab the address with your eyes because that's what they're for.

If you need to actually slurp it out for a script, Google will write the goddamn query for you as you start typing "ip from if...", and then presto! Someone has already solved this problem!

I am really glad there's some backlash against this foolishness. I am not interviewing to be an encyclopedia, interviews should be much more focused on DO YOU KNOW HOW TO SOLVE A PROBLEM.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off:

:v: This Citrix box can easily support 20+ people at once.
:downs: Are you sure about that? It only has 8GB RAM.
:v: Sure, that's not a problem at all.

Some time later

:downs: Everyone is getting "out of memory" errors, and all other kinds of strange errors from the ALM client
:v: Oh, it seems like that Citrix server is making GBS threads the bed. I'll just reboot it.

Now, I realize that the three-finger salute does, in fact, solve a massive number of issues rapidly and with no troubleshooting, and this particular Citrix server can in fact be rebooted without a lot of drama. I just don't understand why so many sysadmins use it as the first troubleshooting step.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it broke, reboot it.

If all else fails, call the vendor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

anthonypants posted:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it broke, reboot it.

If all else fails, call the vendor.

Vendor tells you to reboot it

If you haven't tried rebooting, tell them you already tried that, just to add some excitement

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

demonachizer posted:

Why were you responding at 10:39?

Because if I don't he'll text and then call asking why I'm ignoring him.

ARE EMAILS NOT GOING TO YOUR PHONE??

(Btw you don't pay for my phone so you can gently caress off)

He called in 'sick' and isn't here today. I think he's scared I'm going confront him or something about it (I'm the last person in the world to hold a grudge). He's called in 'sick' before to get out of meetings where he was going to get his rear end chewed by other department managers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I am really glad there's some backlash against this foolishness. I am not interviewing to be an encyclopedia, interviews should be much more focused on DO YOU KNOW HOW TO SOLVE A PROBLEM.

Interviews that turn into IT trivia competitions are pointless. SR guys trying to turn an interview into a showcase of how smart they are is probably even worse.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

He called in 'sick' and isn't here today. I think he's scared I'm going confront him or something about it (I'm the last person in the world to hold a grudge). He's called in 'sick' before to get out of meetings where he was going to get his rear end chewed by other department managers.

Whaaaat? No. Stop doing that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

scroogle nmaps posted:

ifconfig eth0
and then grab the address with your eyes because that's what they're for.

If you need to actually slurp it out for a script, Google will write the goddamn query for you as you start typing "ip from if...", and then presto! Someone has already solved this problem!

Or you now, it shows a incredibly basic understanding of the command line that anybody with 6+ months of experience with bash should know.

Sir_Substance posted:

That's basically where I'm at. I'm not a professional sysadmin mind you. I see little problem with using the Internet as long term memory. If you aren't running that query at least once a day, then anyone who expects you to know it off the top of your head is a wanker. There's *waaaay* too much IT poo poo out there for one person to hold it all in their head. I memorise what I'm doing now. Commands I used daily from 30 to 18 months ago but haven't used since?

Gone.

I'll read the documentation again if I need them in the future.

It's not "hey you should have memorized this command." It's "Hey, you should be able to construct a command based off of some basic knowledge."

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 20, 2014

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!

Sickening posted:

Interviews that turn into IT trivia competitions are pointless. SR guys trying to turn an interview into a showcase of how smart they are is probably even worse.

Yeah. I felt bad enough about having a list of basic poo poo but, if I don't have a list I won't remember to touch on all the points before my hour is up. I was trying to quickly get the low bar questions out of the way and get into 'What would you do if ...' questions.

Per the question before, it isn't Tenable (they have offices in Boston?) which I think is in MD.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like my old boss. This was compounded with the lack of a proper on-call rotation, "everyone's on call :v:" (which means nobody is on call) sort of attitude. In hindsight, that probably was a straight derivation of the company's culture; a bunch of tax consultants who worked crazy hours, so they expected us to support them at crazy hours (nevermind the fact that they had an incentive to work in the form of bonuses, whereas we got nothing).

Getting shown the door by that company was the best thing that ever happened.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

VanOwen posted:

Per the question before, it isn't Tenable (they have offices in Boston?) which I think is in MD.

They are, near Bethesda in a high-rise out in the middle of nowhere. Went there for a demonstration of their reporting software, their CSO is a pretty interesting guy.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ratbert90 posted:

Or you now, it shows a incredibly basic understanding of the command line that anybody with 6+ months of experience with bash should know.

It's not "hey you should have memorized this command." It's "Hey, you should be able to construct a command based off of some basic knowledge."

This. It is a good way to figure out if they have basic understanding of the tools any linux admin is using on a daily basis. Now if they were asking you to write out some super complicated regex from memory, thats complete bullshit. I have been asked similar questions in interviews, and while I am pretty sure what I wrote out was not 100% correct(it always takes me a couple tries to get the exact syntax) they just wanted to see that I had an understanding of how to do it. I think the last one I was asked was something along the lines of how would you find the 2 newest files in a directory that matched a certain pattern.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Bob Morales posted:

I have a relevant question: why are you picking up work emails on your personal phone? Screw that. Additionally, if you've got a modern Android smartphone, then several of them have a blocking mode which will block any numbers not on your allowed list between certain hours. I'd highly suggest doing that.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

wintermuteCF posted:

Sounds like my old boss. This was compounded with the lack of a proper on-call rotation, "everyone's on call :v:" (which means nobody is on call) sort of attitude.

That or "no one is too important to answer a phone for an end user".

You may not be too important but it sure is a waste of company time and money for you're higher ups to waste time on helping people with outlook.

Gotta love it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I have a relevant question: why are you picking up work emails on your personal phone? Screw that. Additionally, if you've got a modern Android smartphone, then several of them have a blocking mode which will block any numbers not on your allowed list between certain hours. I'd highly suggest doing that.

They were supposed to give me a company phone when I started. But he kept dodging the subject and about 2-3 months later he said "I wanted to make sure you were going to stick around", and then after a few months it never happened so I just went ahead and upgraded to a 5S (I was on a 4 and due for an upgrade), then when I got it (a few days after it came out) I was showing it to the helpdesk guys and he came in "Why'd you do that we were going to put you on our plan...", told him I was tired of waiting around.

Then I was supposed to get setup for reimbursement of $60/month, but again he never got around to doing it (he's sooo busy). I don't even care at this point. I should push for the reimbursement to begin and then ask for back-reimbursement.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

They were supposed to give me a company phone when I started. But he kept dodging the subject and about 2-3 months later he said "I wanted to make sure you were going to stick around", and then after a few months it never happened so I just went ahead and upgraded to a 5S (I was on a 4 and due for an upgrade), then when I got it (a few days after it came out) I was showing it to the helpdesk guys and he came in "Why'd you do that we were going to put you on our plan...", told him I was tired of waiting around.

Then I was supposed to get setup for reimbursement of $60/month, but again he never got around to doing it (he's sooo busy). I don't even care at this point. I should push for the reimbursement to begin and then ask for back-reimbursement.

Just remove your work email from their phone and let him know that you won't be accessible outside of work hours unless he buys you a phone and service plan.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just remove your work email from their phone and let him know that you won't be accessible outside of work hours unless he buys you a phone and service plan.

See what this guy said? Do that.

Alternative only-partly-tongue-in-cheek alternative:
File a restraining order. Your boss is harassing you outside of work hours, and it's quite clearly not even close to being about legitimate issues. Basically, the legal equivalent of turning on blocking mode.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

HELLO. YOU ARE A DOORMAT.

You are right! Because I picked up my phone while knowing it was you and not on call, I tacitly agree with you! I am a doormat.

I AM GOING TO WIPE MY SHOES ON YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE A DOORMAT

I let you wipe your shoes on me, therefore I must be a doormat. Your doormat.

I went ahead and distilled that conversation down to its essence for you.

Dude, I know you were looking for some sympathy for getting bullshit calls from your boss late at night, but you took the email afraid he would call. Like everyone else here has already said, the solution is simple.

Stop answering work issues on your personal phone and get them to give you a company phone or get a reimbursement plan in place. Then ignore emails/calls that don't fall within a prearranged on-call schedule or during work hours.

Then you won't have to post poo poo like this anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's not so much the issue of him calling after hours it's him having an argument about a Linux server running.

If I took my email off my phone (and he found out) it would start WWIII and I want to make sure I have another gig lined up before that happens.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

It's not so much the issue of him calling after hours it's him having an argument about a Linux server running.

If I took my email off my phone (and he found out) it would start WWIII and I want to make sure I have another gig lined up before that happens.

"hey boss i broke my phone guess you can't contact me by email outside of work hours anymore"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
People who remind you every other sentence that they're computer illiterate, like it's a loving mantra for their day and life.

"Email, can't help you I'm illiterate"
"Open a webpage? Illiterate!"
"Turn it on? Illiterate!"
"Start menu? Illiterate!"
"What's a username? Illiterate!"

Then what loving good are you at a job that requires you to loving use one!?
Absolutely terrible

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"hey boss i broke my phone guess you can't contact me by email outside of work hours anymore"

I tell him that and start carrying around a Motorola RAZR or something at work

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I tell him that and start carrying around a Motorola RAZR or something at work

"Help, I am stuck in a well."

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Sickening posted:

"Help, I am stuck in a well."

Should I dig? I think I should dig.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Bob, I've enjoyed your posts, but I don't know if I've seen anything. You ARE getting out, aren't you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Bob, I've enjoyed your posts, but I don't know if I've seen anything. You ARE getting out, aren't you?

Told the recruiter that got me this job, and another one I was working with last year that I was looking for something else. I have to stick around here at least another 45 days to finish the Exchange migration though.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

WHAT THE HELL FOR

"Welp, you caught me. It's my Minecraft server. And Tor exit node. And cloud porn storage. And I just threw it online without a firewall or anything just to see what would happen."

Meanwhile, if I got that interview question, I would say "give me five minutes with the awk manpage and I'll see what I can do." Knowing the right tool is 90% of the job as far I'm currently concerned.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Told the recruiter that got me this job, and another one I was working with last year that I was looking for something else. I have to stick around here at least another 45 days to finish the Exchange migration though.

Is that 45 days in a contract that you signed or what?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
I've got to get this one off my chest. I'm a one-man show sysadmin for a couple of small shops in the Midwest. I have one mid-level user that refuses to accept that her last-mile DSL connection is ever the cause of her Remote Desktop issues. I'll run her through a ping test to the office (200-900ms per ping, all over the board, at a physical distance of 15 miles ... keeping in mind my home is about the same distance from that office, and I get 35ms reliably over ADSL). I'll have her run a SpeedTest.net test to two different servers in the local area ... grade of "F", with terrible reliability.

She pays for business class DSL, which is normally 10/1 around here, but she's really last mile, and it's just not reliable. She has a serious aversion to calling the ISP that's responsible for her connection that she pays massively for support on, when I've explained to her over and over that there's nothing at all I can do about the physical link between her home and the office. I've had her tether to her laptop to her 4G phone and showed her that everything works great over 4G.

Which do you think is more likely? The office, with top shelf routers and switches, connected to the local ISP's backbone directly by a 20/20 fiber optic line, with all other servers and services reporting green across the board, is having network problems, or your last-mile DSL connection in the middle of nowhere connected by a janky Actiontec router/switch and/or your terrible ISP is having issues.

I've been nice. I've showed her the metrics. No one else out of the 40 people in that office is having problems. I'm connected to the place as I'm talking to her by OpenVPN with 7 RDP sessions going concurrently on a slower line than she has at home (but it's a quality connection). She ... just ... doesn't ... WANT ... to ... get ... it. The answer I'm giving her requires her to call her ISP or (god forbid) upgrade her home equipment or get her lines tested, so it must be my side of the fence that's hosed up. Yeah.

This comes up about once a month. She'll finally call the ISP, they're reboot the DSLAM she's on, and everything's fine. A month later, I get a High Importance e-mail about how the office network is down again. One of her rationales is that "Netflix works fine, it's only working remotely that ever has any problems". I explained buffering vs. real-time, but that just doesn't sink in.

She knows (I've explained to her several times) that if there ever IS a problem with the office network, she's not going to be the one to discover it. I'll know within about 5 nanoseconds as all sorts of SNMP traps fire off text messages to me ... I even have remote VPS servers doing ping and HTTP connection tests on the office equipment every five minutes so I have some out-of-band notifications.

Sigh.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Why do you HAVE TO stick around for anything?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Is that 45 days in a contract that you signed or what?

I just want to finish the job. I don't want to leave them with their mail situation completely butt-hosed. They are a pretty well-known/big company in my town. As a bonus I live in one of the owners' husband's apartment building (he owns its, doesn't live in it) and I don't want things to get ugly.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Who was it in here that had a good wireless "presentation" solution? I recall one being talked about but cannot find it.

Looking for something that can plug into a laptop and wireless connect to a TV. Really want to avoid any kind of install on the laptop (public facing rooms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Moey posted:

Who was it in here that had a good wireless "presentation" solution? I recall one being talked about but cannot find it.

Looking for something that can plug into a laptop and wireless connect to a TV. Really want to avoid any kind of install on the laptop (public facing rooms).

Barco ClickShare.