Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I remember being floored by a Colony Wars demo as a kid. I never did get the game. I think I'd be sad to play it at this point, because there's no way it could live up to what I remember from ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Zaodai posted:

I remember being floored by a Colony Wars demo as a kid. I never did get the game. I think I'd be sad to play it at this point, because there's no way it could live up to what I remember from ages ago.

I had colony wars, for a PSX game it kicked rear end. Not much of a reason to play it now though. Just get freespace 2 from GOG, much better game in all ways except that it doesn't have a james earl jones sound-alike doing the narration.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

andrew smash posted:

I had colony wars, for a PSX game it kicked rear end. Not much of a reason to play it now though. Just get freespace 2 from GOG, much better game in all ways except that it doesn't have a james earl jones sound-alike doing the narration.

That James Earl Jones sound alike was so good that I still have a hard time believing that it wasn't him.

Colony Wars was a pretty good game on it's own that I still think deserves recognition. It was very impressive visually for it's time and the branching missions allow for a lot of replay.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Some months ago I saw a video of an indie metroidvania with a focus on growing stronger each run as you tried to get further and further into a castle before dying. Ideas?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Yip Yips posted:

Some months ago I saw a video of an indie metroidvania with a focus on growing stronger each run as you tried to get further and further into a castle before dying. Ideas?

That sounds like Rogue Legacy.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Nailed it, thanks!

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
When I was in school I was intrigued by a demo I only got to play for about 5 minutes. Here's what I remember about it:

It was a playable demo for the PC, off what must have been the free CD from a UK magazine. This would have been sometime between 1998 and 2000. The game was played from a top-down or similar perspective. I feel like it might have been some kind of RPG.

The demo was set in a desert, where you played as a grinning blond man. I remember that clearly, as for dialogues it had the portrait with an accompanying text box, which mainly sticks in my mind because after flailing around and dying immediately because I didn't have a clue how to play, it did that with a message saying "The desert has claimed another one" or something like that, giving the impression the protagonist was (very cheerfully) talking in third person about his own horrible death.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This sounds like it may have been Silver or Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There was a beat 'em up on the NES that I've been trying to identify for years; all I can remember is the boss of a later stage being some kind of lion or tiger tamer with a whip and maybe there were trucks in the second level? Not much to go on, but maybe someone knows it.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 14, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I remember some PC game in the early 90s with a vaguely cyberpunk theme about "jacking in" or whatever. It was just a flying game where you'd fly down these tunnels very similar to the ending of Star Wars. Had some crappy intro movie with a fat guy jacking in and online. Very forgettable game. Anyone? It wasn't Descent.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

HMS Boromir posted:

There was a beat 'em up on the NES that I've been trying to identify for years; all I can remember is the boss of a later stage being some kind of lion or tiger tamer with a whip and maybe there were trucks in the second level? Not much to go on, but maybe someone knows it.

That'd be Karnov:
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Karnov/Stage_2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

You might actually be thinking both of Karnov and Bad Dudes. Karnov has a lion tamer boss and the second level of Bad Dudes takes place on trucks. Both were made by the same company and the first boss of Bad Dudes is Karnov.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Unfortunately not Karnov. The lion tamer connection is one hell of a coincidence, though.

It didn't have platform elements the way Karnov does, I don't think. More of a River City Ransom sort of deal.

EDIT: There's a small chance it was Bad Dudes, but I recall it having two dimensional walking like Golden Axe rather than being a sidescroller and it would be weird if I'd just fabricated the lion tamer, so if anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it.

Other things that might be true about this game: guns as temporary powerups; lifebars similar to those in Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 14, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Are you sure it was NES? Growl on Genesis fits the description of a traditional brawler with animals and trucks and it's a pretty ugly game for a Genesis title.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It has NES graphics in my memories of it and I certainly didn't own a Genesis. I looked at Growl anyway just in case, though, and that's not it either. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this entire game is a confabulation.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, trucks in stage 2 + whip boss later on made me immediately think of Bad Dudes.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just found a game called P.O.W.: Prisoners of War and I think my memories blended it in with Bad Dudes to create this nonexistent game I remember. The jury's still out on the goddamn lion tamer, but I count this as closure. Thanks, everyone.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 14, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Bayou Billy has the Golden Axe perspective and guys with whips, plus a truck driving level.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

If it's not Karnov, Bad Dudes, or Bayou Billy, maybe Renegade?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

Bayou Billy has the Golden Axe perspective and guys with whips, plus a truck driving level.
Yeah, I was gonna suggest Bayou Billy, but I've only ever seen (fairly extensive) gameplay videos. I wasn't confident enough to mention it on that alone.

chairface posted:

If it's not Karnov, Bad Dudes, or Bayou Billy, maybe Renegade?
Could be, but I didn't see him mention anything about instantly dying by walking off the stage, and that's a pretty standout point with that game, so I'm gonna assume not :v:

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

the posted:

I remember some PC game in the early 90s with a vaguely cyberpunk theme about "jacking in" or whatever. It was just a flying game where you'd fly down these tunnels very similar to the ending of Star Wars. Had some crappy intro movie with a fat guy jacking in and online. Very forgettable game. Anyone? It wasn't Descent.

Possibly Cyberia. Can't remember the intro but the rest fits the bill.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberia_(video_game)

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
I'm thinking of a (s?)rpg on the SNES or Genesis. All I remember was there was a big tower at the beginning of the game, and you could walk behind it and there was an item hidden by the camera. And I think you had a female party member who was a cleric with blue hair or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Look Sharp! posted:

I'm thinking of a (s?)rpg on the SNES or Genesis. All I remember was there was a big tower at the beginning of the game, and you could walk behind it and there was an item hidden by the camera. And I think you had a female party member who was a cleric with blue hair or something.

Dunno about the treasure, but Shining Force 2 has a female cleric with blue hair.

(EDIT holy poo poo the commentary on that page is atrocious. Just look at the character portraits)

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dunno about the treasure, but Shining Force 2 has a female cleric with blue hair.

(EDIT holy poo poo the commentary on that page is atrocious. Just look at the character portraits)

That's it, thank you. Nobody else visit that page.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Yeah, there's a Mithril chunk behind the tower.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
SNES RPG, and all I remember was that there was like, a giant Super Famicom pad in the main character's house.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

SNES RPG, and all I remember was that there was like, a giant Super Famicom pad in the main character's house.

Robotrek?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Does anyone remember this game? It was some freeware thing from long ago, done in ASCII style, but it was super bright and colorful. It was mostly a puzzle game, but it had its own editor you could make your own poo poo with. The programming was pretty solid and user friendly, the editor was object based code. I feel like the title had two Zs in it or something weird like that.

edit: That's it! Thank you, and god drat was that fast!

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 17, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
ZZT. Actually an early product of Tim Sweeney, who went on to found Epic Games. He's still there, although I don't think he's touched a keyboard since Unreal tournament.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

The treasure he's thinking of is a chunk of mithril behind the tower containing the very first fight in the game. You can walk behind it and if you face down at exactly half way along it, there's a hidden chest that you open.

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

How dare you speak to me of the crunch! You know nothing of the crunch. You've never even been to the crunch!
There was this freeware point to click adventure game I am trying to remember where you were this dopey little nerd who has to gather his friends for a DnD game. You start in your room and you have to climb down your window to escape being grounded or something.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Cynical Tyrant posted:

There was this freeware point to click adventure game I am trying to remember where you were this dopey little nerd who has to gather his friends for a DnD game. You start in your room and you have to climb down your window to escape being grounded or something.

No Action Jackson

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

How dare you speak to me of the crunch! You know nothing of the crunch. You've never even been to the crunch!

I was looking through that site and I couldn't find it! Thank you!

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Decades-old PC game. First-person point & click adventure.

I can only remember the intro (or maybe I only played the demo): Your character started out in a jail cell, and you had to break out using stuff you collected around you like cups and bricks and spoons. The prisoner in the adjoining cell would help you out, and when you were finally successful you could choose to take him along with you. If you didn't, he would curse you out.

I just remember it being really atmospheric and getting kinda' spooked when I was a kid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mira posted:

I can only remember the intro (or maybe I only played the demo): Your character started out in a jail cell, and you had to break out using stuff you collected around you like cups and bricks and spoons. The prisoner in the adjoining cell would help you out, and when you were finally successful you could choose to take him along with you. If you didn't, he would curse you out.

I just remember it being really atmospheric and getting kinda' spooked when I was a kid.

Lure of the Temptress?

Edit: Oh, completely missed the first person part, never mind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mira posted:

Sounds vaguely like a game made with one of those old adventure-game-creation systems. I remember one that was made using that system that I think had an opening like you describe, but unfortunately don't remember the title. I think I found it by finding other games made with the same engine as Ray's Maze, Another Fine Mess, etc. were made with. Looks like the engine's called World Builder.

Of course, if the game you're thinking of ran on something other than a Mac, and had non-B&W graphics, then this theory is shot.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

There was a cartoony racing game for the ps2 that I read reviews for and always wanted to try. It was inspired by Wacky Races and I distinctly remember review sites mentioning how when you drove off a cliff, you would do that Tex Avery thing where you float for a moment before plunging to your death.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

There was a cartoony racing game for the ps2 that I read reviews for and always wanted to try. It was inspired by Wacky Races and I distinctly remember review sites mentioning how when you drove off a cliff, you would do that Tex Avery thing where you float for a moment before plunging to your death.

Was it maybe Cel Damage? I know it had a cartoony style, but I'm not sure on the rest.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Was it maybe Cel Damage? I know it had a cartoony style, but I'm not sure on the rest.

I remember it being close to that, but I don't think that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

I remember it being close to that, but I don't think that's it
There was an actual Wacky Races game released for the PS2 in Europe, is that it?