Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Fox of Stone posted:

It's that permanents vs. spells thing I posted about earlier. I don't see a distinction either and I agree with you but you'll see a lot of players who do see a distinction. They feel like the game should strongly focus on the permanents-only side of the "dichotomy" (the realms of both aren't mutually exclusive but are different enough, mostly because not all colors get equal access to both spells and permanents like blue does). WotC has been making the importance of permanents > spells for a while now.

e: or what LordSaturn posted. It's a dog whistle term for "not interacting the way I would like to interact."

Take a look at standard. Nearly all of the top decks have a mix of spells and creatures, and a good number of the tier 1 decks are playing more spells than creatures. The biggest change to power level in Magic over the past decade is that creatures don't suck anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

L0cke17 posted:

Price of Progress would definitely be enough to force down the good-stuff decks in Modern imo. That, or print a 3 mana non-basic Armageddon.

My dream is for them to reprint destructive flow in modern so I can play my 2007 extended deck

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

TicalStal posted:

My dream is for them to reprint destructive flow in modern so I can play my 2007 extended deck

They could also just print Ruination.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Does anybody happen to have "artwork" of the gay Jace? Someone is sponsoring me a custom play mat and i think this photo would best serve as a mat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Mono Black Aggro and RW burn are both fun as hell to play, Cheap (if you forgo mutavaults) and very competitive in the current meta. People bagging on standard don't play a lot of standard cause it's a very diverse format these days.

What does black aggro play? I haven't seen that anywhere. I have Rakdos Aggro built right now, I'm curious what a mono-black version would look like. What replaces Spike Jester and Madcap Skills?

Korak posted:

Have you thought about that fun Esper Humans deck since you may already have the staples of it? Put your own spin on it? It's a solid deck and has a lot of game to it. You just sometimes lose because of mana issues.
Do you mean something like this? http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6869&d=239468

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hey look, 130 new posts in the MtG thread just this afternoon. Maybe there's been an announcement about the fall block or some leaked previews of Journey into Nyx cards.

Oh :smith:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Y'know, Strip Mine isn't on the reserve list...

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Fox of Stone posted:

e: or what LordSaturn posted. It's a dog whistle term for "not interacting the way I would like to interact."

Except it's not. It's a term that has been used for over a decade to describe that style of deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Y'know, Strip Mine isn't on the reserve list...

No but it is banned in legacy and restricted in vintage which means it is in the top power level of cards ever made. What are its chances of a standard reprint?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Entropic posted:

What does black aggro play? I haven't seen that anywhere. I have Rakdos Aggro built right now, I'm curious what a mono-black version would look like. What replaces Spike Jester and Madcap Skills?

Do you mean something like this? http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6869&d=239468

Pain seer, less lands while having better mana stability, less of a chance of getting blown out by a doom blade, tons of cheap removal to keep your pain seer alive to have massive card advantage.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jassi007 posted:

No but it is banned in legacy and restricted in vintage which means it is I'm the top power level of cards ever made. What are its chances of a standard reprint?

Strip Mine goes against NWO philosophy. It absolutely won't be reprinted in Standard.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Entropic posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=6869&d=239472

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

whydirt posted:

Hey look, 130 new posts in the MtG thread just this afternoon. Maybe there's been an announcement about the fall block or some leaked previews of Journey into Nyx cards.

If we had a policy on no hygiene.txt, magic cardboard economy or reserved list chat I would swear this thread would be 50 pages shorter.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ScarletBrother posted:

Strip Mine goes against NWO philosophy. It absolutely won't be reprinted in Standard.

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet. Clearly nothing to good for legacy and almost to good for vintage will ever be in standard. If it isn't in standard it won't be in modern.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

No but it is banned in legacy and restricted in vintage which means it is in the top power level of cards ever made. What are its chances of a standard reprint?

Wizards refuses to reprint Stone Rain, and that costs three mana.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

If we had a policy on no hygiene.txt, magic cardboard economy or reserved list chat I would swear this thread would be 50 pages shorter.

Blame wonder weapon he linked his death of legacy article and ruined another community :P

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Blame wonder weapon he linked his death of legacy article and ruined another community :P

Bugger legacy, obviously limited is the best format. :colbert:

Samael fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 20, 2014

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

jassi007 posted:

God I wish it was that easy

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

People still seem to think NWO is this all-encompassing thing about new magic. All NWO says is that 80% of commons have to be below a certain complexity threshold. That's it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Roughly zero. I just think it's funny how a strictly-better Wasteland is worth 1/100 the price because it's too much better and so no one's allowed to play it outside Commander.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

I had the same exact reaction. :smith::hf::smith:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

People still seem to think NWO is this all-encompassing thing about new magic. All NWO says is that 80% of commons have to be below a certain complexity threshold. That's it.

Fine. The fact remains that we live in a world where Stone Rain is too good for Standard, so obviously Strip Mine is not going to happen.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Fine. The fact remains that we live in a world where Stone Rain is too good for Standard, so obviously Strip Mine is not going to happen.

That's true. Wizards doesn't want to make LandDestruction.dec a thing again, since while a subset of players love the archetype a larger number of players hate playing against it since it's boring as hell. A part of that is land destruction at 3 mana or less.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was joking about Strip Mine. This thread will latch onto anything to argue viciously about.

When does the fall block announcement normally happen? Aren't we nearly due?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

I was joking about Strip Mine. This thread will latch onto anything to argue viciously about.

When does the fall block announcement normally happen? Aren't we nearly due?

Last two years the spoilers for the spring set and the announcement of the fall set have been at pax east. This year the Magic panel is on Sunday, April 13th.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was typing up a long effort post on spells/permanents "dichotomy" but it wasn't worth it and probably belongs in the game design or board game threads anyway. And I make poo poo posts that are rightfully ignored.

Anyway, requesting what people meant by the legacy-to-standard trading premium. How much are people usually asking when it comes to trading from one to the other nowadays? I want to hear ridiculous stories of 25%+ value so the wizard baron allowed you to partake of one of his 50 wastelands.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

revengeanceful posted:

I had the same exact reaction. :smith::hf::smith:

Me too :smith::hf::smith::hf::smith:

Honestly the part where everyone talked about SCGs influence over how regularly legacy would be played is a pretty interesting topic. "My format is better than your format" is just as annoying as console warrior bullshit.

Entropic posted:

They were just responding to your joke with a counter.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

I was typing up a long effort post on spells/permanents "dichotomy" but it wasn't worth it and probably belongs in the game design or board game threads anyway. And I make poo poo posts that are rightfully ignored.

Anyway, requesting what people meant by the legacy-to-standard trading premium. How much are people usually asking when it comes to trading from one to the other nowadays? I want to hear ridiculous stories of 25%+ value so the wizard baron allowed you to partake of one of his 50 wastelands.

15-20% standard to either modern/legacy here. So all the standard things I have is worth barely anything and I will directly have to buy cards in order to not get shafted. That is why I have never played those formats and play limited and standard with those cards from my limited pool.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fox of Stone posted:

Someone offered to trade a set of wastelands and 2 fow for a complete RG Tron at my LGS. This was a few months ago before wasteland went up in price again.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Mono-B aggro...

I would avoid Pack Rat. Detention Sphere is really good, and being used a lot.

Here's the deck I ran, that was a lot of fun to beat people with.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-b-heroic-1/

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Are the common print runs that are on MODO the same ones that appear in paper?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

Yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

En Fuego posted:

Mono-B aggro...

Not a huge fan of Agent of the Fates or Sipteful Returned there. You don't have much to target Agent's with and you're a bit light on removal.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

ScarletBrother posted:

There are a bunch of 4-7 mana land destruction spells in Standard right now, the biggest issue is what kind of deck can do both the land destruction route plus win the game? Maybe a BGR deck that goes heavy on the kill spells for any threats that get through with Pack Rat being the main win con?

I did see when Theros had just come out that someone claimed they went 4-0 at FNM with a Land Destruction deck, but then again pretty much anything can win against a soft FNM crowd.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

The Wonder Weapon posted:

They allow for phenomenally consistent manabases, absurd splashes, and eat up huge portions of time off the clock in every format. No fetches would increase game speed and reduce obnoxious combo decks without requiring opponents to MD narrow hate cards.

If you don't appreciate the clock time thing, you've never been to a GP. At Montreal this past weekend, the shortest round was ten minutes over time. Modern is no different, but if you remove fetches, you may actually get rounds to finish in under 50 minutes. Keep in mind this problem will only get worse as GPs grow. The round is only as fast as the slowest player.

I know I'm a page or two behind, but has there ever been any discussion on using chess clocks to discourage slow play? I've seen MODO streams where people lose to the clock once they hit 25 minutes, outside of the expense of having to buy a shitload of clocks is there any practical reason they couldn't give that a go?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ScarletBrother posted:

Yes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Mono-B aggro...

Is eyegouge just maindecked to deal with Mutavaults? :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Not a huge fan of Agent of the Fates or Sipteful Returned there. You don't have much to target Agent's with and you're a bit light on removal.

He's still a 3 mana 3/2 with Deathtouch. I can't count the number of people who forget the fucker has Deathtouch and just swing giant guys into him.

Cactrot posted:

You can target Agent with it and not kill him. :black101:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

Plus your own Agent of Fates survives being targeted by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Spiteful Returned is amazing. Throwing it on any critter is an immediate 3 damage. U/W control has fits with a 2 drop that can do that much on it's own.

Agent on it's own is a 3/2 deathtouch. Putting pants on it makes it a lot more entertaining.

One line of play I had, and it was pretty much the best curve for me:

Turn 1 Tormented Hero into a turn 4 Spiteful Returned & turn 5 herald of torment. (I did stuff on turn 2/3 ... Playing a thoughtseize and a first spiteful). Lots of damage from one little duder.

Edit: Whoa comments.

Yes, Eye Gouge for Mutas and Manadorks. The white decks ran a lot of x/1s as well to kill (Soldier of the Pantheon!). I did use an Eye Gouge on my Agent to make an opp sac a Sylvan Caryatid, for value.

• Locked thread