Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
OTOH my position when I'm working in an oversight position is basically "Don't encourage the talent, it only encourages them." But I worked in Hollywood, where to my eternal shame I was "the talent." Or part of it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

It must be terrible, working in an industry wide version of '90s Image Comics.

People decry Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee but even if they hid their feet drawings, they never forgot to actually draw legs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Stephenls posted:

There are so many more things wrong with that picture than just the cantaloupes.

What always bothered me about that picture isn't the boobs or the one leg or the metal lingerie, but rather that it's supposed to be a Craft charm and there isn't really a Craft charm that does that. It looks like someone saw "Shattering Grasp" in the list of stuff that needed a picture, but didn't read the charm, which (like a lot of Craft charms) is a nearly meaningless speed modifier charm. You can unmake stuff faster, hooray! At combat speed? No. At a speed that the ST would have to make relevant strictly because you took this charm and it would be a shame to see it wasted? Yeah, basically. Stuff gets crafted at fiat speed. Stuff that gets crafted at 3x fiat speed is still crafted at fiat speed. Maybe the leg in the picture is a victim of the charm it's a picture of.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Stephenls posted:

OTOH my position when I'm working in an oversight position is basically "Don't encourage the talent, it only encourages them." But I worked in Hollywood, where to my eternal shame I was "the talent." Or part of it, anyway.

I did enjoy your work.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking as somebody who's become involved in the creation of RPGs, I think people don't appreciate how terrified writers and developers are of those austere and majestic creatures, artists.

I came here to post this ironically and now I can't tell if you stole my thunder.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Always wanted this one as poster because it's one of my favourite Exalted art pieces.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Gilok posted:

I did enjoy your work.

Haha, I was going to post this as well. I just saw that Wes Anderson "centered" video and I was like, oh, there's StephenLS. That's weird :)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ettin posted:

I came here to post this ironically and now I can't tell if you stole my thunder.

It's ironic but not actually false.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
In all seriousness I don't actually approach management of creative endeavors from the perspective that creative types are scum who need to be kept in line, but there is some truth to the idea that managing "the talent" involves walking a fine line between acknowledging that they're not as interchangeable as it seems like they should be... and not acknowledging this too loudly lest they get ideas.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Labor power dynamics are really interesting, especially at the intersection of niche fields and niche industries. But at the end of the day what goes in the book is what goes in the book, and the book is judged by what's in it, not by the way the people who make it are managed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Attorney at Funk posted:

Labor power dynamics are really interesting, especially at the intersection of niche fields and niche industries. But at the end of the day what goes in the book is what goes in the book, and the book is judged by what's in it, not by the way the people who make it are managed.

Oh, totally. I try to offer explanations, not excuses.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Stephenls posted:

Oh, totally. I try to offer explanations, not excuses.

Yeah, I really appreciate your explanations, for what it's worth.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, I really appreciate your explanations, for what it's worth.

Welcome.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Labor power dynamics should be addressed on the Alchemicals book.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cooked Auto posted:

Always wanted this one as poster because it's one of my favourite Exalted art pieces.

Same here, she may very well be why dragon-blooded are my favorite exalt, she looks competent, elegant, strong, and beautiful all at the same time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Though that statue's cleavage is gonna fill right up with leaves and bird poop. There's probably some Blessed Isle archduke who maintains his title primarily by keeping those boobs wiped off.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Nah, it's ensorcelled or something. It would have been cheaper to hire someone but the people in charge of putting up the statue didn't want the fallout of the nickname guy-who-wipes-off-the-Empress's-breasts would inevitably end up with.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
As if the pigeon-gods would risk offending the Empress and getting a Four Pests Campaign on their heads.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/544/Manacle--Coin

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/98803/Masters-of-Jade

Both great books, and the Alchemicals setting book is badass as well. I know you were being sarcastic, but this road has unironically been trod very well. This is one of the reasons I like Exalted so much, as most of this is handwaved away in most other fantasy games.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I'm pretty sure Labor Power Dynamics is a charm in the Alchemicals book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

theironjef posted:

Though that statue's cleavage is gonna fill right up with leaves and bird poop. There's probably some Blessed Isle archduke who maintains his title primarily by keeping those boobs wiped off.

Oh please, that statue has a god of its own to deal with that. This is Exalted and the Scarlet Empress we are talking about here after all. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TwoQuestions posted:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/544/Manacle--Coin

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/98803/Masters-of-Jade

Both great books, and the Alchemicals setting book is badass as well. I know you were being sarcastic, but this road has unironically been trod very well. This is one of the reasons I like Exalted so much, as most of this is handwaved away in most other fantasy games.

I was being sarcastic but thank you for your book recommendations.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Labor Power Dynamics Question: How far are we from the Elementals and Terrestrial Gods starting a revolution to overthrow the Celestial hierarchy? This is one of the Exalted campaigns I'm sad I haven't yet got to do. Imagine an Exalted version of this classic with smug Celestial Incarnae at the top.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The problem with that model is that elementals are most often directly oppressed by terrestrial gods. The celestial gods are distant.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The potential to unite and inflict grand change being undermined by petty tribalism is an important part of the human mythos.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh please, that statue has a god of its own to deal with that. This is Exalted and the Scarlet Empress we are talking about here after all. :colbert:

Thank you for the Zenith Caste.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The potential to unite and inflict grand change being undermined by petty tribalism is an important part of the human mythos.

Don't forget to include petty ambition infighting! *looks at the Macedonian successor kingdoms*

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Good news! Revlid just came out with some Metagaos Charms and a rewritten SWLIHN.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I was bored and started fooling around with my homebrew remake of Exalted's map after seeing a friend's attempt to photoshop it.

Thought I would share.

http://i.imgur.com/MjVyYoO.jpg

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been looking at some of the charms for the less well-loved abilities in 2E, and I think what I really found the most disappointing about say, the Ride charm set across all splats is that most of the charms for it are for things that would be storyteller fiat anyway.

No one cares if your horse can go 30mph or 55mph. It isn't going to affect a story in a meaningful way basically ever. There's a charm in the 2e core book that's basically "know things about horses" that requires multiple discounted repurchases, and all of the things you get from it are things you should just be able to roll Ride for to begin with.

Basically I hope 3E has some interesting Ride charms that aren't just "Your Horse Goes Fast" because while that should probably be a charm, it's not really very interesting.

There's also less charms for Ride across all splats than there are charms in most single Marts trees. And that's including the Abyssal charms (which all but 2 are mirrors with one line of fluff text, and the non mirror is still a mirror but with a slightly stronger effect) as different charms.

If you guys in the beta are seeing the Ride charms, are there things in there that make you go 'Hey, I can make a badass mounted character with a horse that deserves its own name in the legends' or is it more of the same old 'go fast' + a side of 'can fly'?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

That was my problem with the familiar-size charm recently. 2e is full of speed and size minutia. I don't care exactly how fast my horse goes, particularly if it's something I have to measure in percentages. Part of the problem is that much of what is governed by Ride (familiarity with mounts, travel time, animal powers) is arguably governed by Survival. I want to see Charms that affect the narrative aspect of land travel (journeys take at most a week, rider becomes a terror in mounted combat, travel is always less dangerous over land) and less about time percentages, exact speed multipliers, or horse health levels.

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."

Strength of Many posted:

I was bored and started fooling around with my homebrew remake of Exalted's map after seeing a friend's attempt to photoshop it.

Thought I would share.

http://i.imgur.com/MjVyYoO.jpg

I like this. I find it interesting you seem to have made some of the same decisions the Ex3 developers made. Was this purposeful, or just because they're good ideas?

As for Ride Charms, let us not forget that while most of the Sidereal Ride Charms were terrible also, they did get this:

quote:

BREAKING THE WILD MORTAL
Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Ride 2, Essence 2; Type: Simple
(Speed 6, DV -2)
Keywords: Compulsion, Fate, Obvious, Servitude, Stackable
Duration: Until character applies Mercury’s bridle
Prerequisite Charms: Ordained Bridle of Mercury
This Charm works just as Ordained Bridle of Mercury
does, but this Charm affects people. The Sidereal chooses
a person—or has the Maiden of Journeys choose one of
a preferred occupation and personality for him—and
receives Mercury’s bridle in a shape that fi ts a human
head. When a chosen mortal sees the bit, he calmly
allows the Sidereal to fi t it to him, at which point the
bridle and the memory of accepting it fade away. If the
Sidereal selects a mortal, the Charm costs an additional
Willpower point.
The Sidereal gains one dot of the Acquaintances
Background. Uses after the fi rst against the same mortal
either intensify the bond between the mortal and the
Sidereal or expand the familiarity effect among an increasing
number of the mortal’s own acquaintances. For
example, one use of this power enables a single mortal to
recognize the Sidereal as a friendly stranger the mortal’s
seen around before. The next use might rope the mortal’s
close friends into the effect as well. With the third use, not
only the original mortal and his close friends recognize the
Sidereal, but all the regulars at the gambling house where
the mortal and his pals hang out do as well. In order for
the Sidereal to expand her network of acquaintances in
this way with this Charm, she must use it repeatedly on
the same mortal. (See pp. 102-103 for details about the
Acquaintances Background.)
As with Ordained Bridle of Mercury, the new acquaintances
last only through a single story, unless the player spends
experience points or the character makes a special effort
to secure their friendship. Likewise, a Sidereal can use this
Charm on (i.e., apply the actual bridle itself to) a maximum
number of people equal to her permanent Essence.

While questionably kinky, I think its at least an interesting interpretation of Ride and what it could do.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Playtesting has not yet received Ride charms. However, if other abilities are anything to judge by, then Ride will certainly have some interesting things.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Exrandu posted:

I like this. I find it interesting you seem to have made some of the same decisions the Ex3 developers made. Was this purposeful, or just because they're good ideas?

I saw their Ex3 map before hand but I didn't like how most of the big changes were made outside of the existing map boundaries. I felt like they would look better if they were pushed into the classic map, which had plenty of blank real estate to work with.

Most of all, I am really gay for mountains and lakes.

mistaya posted:

Basically I hope 3E has some interesting Ride charms that aren't just "Your Horse Goes Fast" because while that should probably be a charm, it's not really very interesting.

To me the most interesting Ride charms were not really 'Ride Charms'to begin with. The cavalry charging charms in Dragon-Blooded, the mutation charm from Abyssals, the charm that lets you use your own charms through your mount in Core.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 28, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Strength of Many posted:

To me the most interesting Ride charms were not really 'Ride Charms'to begin with. The cavalry charging charms in Dragon-Blooded, the mutation charm from Abyssals, the charm that lets you use your own charms through your mount in Core.

How is a cavalry charge not a ride thing?

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Its an attack that happens to stipulate being mounted at the time.

It doesn't enhance how you ride your mount, nor interact with it in a meaningful way. It could be a War or Melee charm by any other name where you charge on foot (probably with a bonus to movement) and get a bonus to your attack. Nevermind the nebulous 'charge' rules.

Cavalry charges are evocative of mounted warfare, sure, but the mechanics of it aren't any different from 'move X and hit man'.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I think the problem with this is while that Strength of Many is generally right, that Cavalry attack charms are just melee happening, this generates a different question: If not cavalry, then what the hell should ride charms do? Most people here seem to agree that generic speed modifiers are worthless, since they are altering fiat, and a lot of other stuff, like flight, or knowledge about horses, could be covered in various non-charm ways (once you get to a certain level of familiar dots or resource dots, why bother investing a million charms in flying your horse around? Why not just have a flying rideable pet?).

So what does that even leave? I guess stuff that interacts with your horse in combat in a way that melee doesn't cover (gives the horse super magic attacks, or iron skin, or even just access to a limited version of your charm set). Maybe also stuff that modifies the way you travel, like trackless step effects or similar.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

theironjef posted:

I think the problem with this is while that Strength of Many is generally right, that Cavalry attack charms are just melee happening, this generates a different question: If not cavalry, then what the hell should ride charms do? Most people here seem to agree that generic speed modifiers are worthless, since they are altering fiat, and a lot of other stuff, like flight, or knowledge about horses, could be covered in various non-charm ways (once you get to a certain level of familiar dots or resource dots, why bother investing a million charms in flying your horse around? Why not just have a flying rideable pet?).

So what does that even leave? I guess stuff that interacts with your horse in combat in a way that melee doesn't cover (gives the horse super magic attacks, or iron skin, or even just access to a limited version of your charm set). Maybe also stuff that modifies the way you travel, like trackless step effects or similar.

Which just begs the question: Is Ride (and Sail) significant enough that it deserves a special Charmset? Honestly, I think I'd lean towards 'no' and just fold it into Athletics or Survival (which has the side effect of making Survival better to boot). The Eclipse/Moonshadow caste abilities are sort of a mess when you think about it. What does horse-riding have to do with proper statecraft, the ability to navigate social pitfalls and language skills? It's like they took three related skills, then two other semi-related skills, and mashed them all together in one confusing hodgepodge.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

theironjef posted:

Most people here seem to agree that generic speed modifiers are worthless, since they are altering fiat

Gonna stop you right here.

Speed is only fiat in a game which doesn't give it interesting mechanical value. The base games of 1e and 2e, as written and generally played, are a place where that is true. In a system built to make speed mean something, like the chase rules from Shards, that is wrong.

You see the failure of the system to make "My horse is the fastest" interesting, and concluding that going fast must not belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Transient People posted:

Which just begs the question: Is Ride (and Sail) significant enough that it deserves a special Charmset? Honestly, I think I'd lean towards 'no' and just fold it into Athletics or Survival (which has the side effect of making Survival better to boot). The Eclipse/Moonshadow caste abilities are sort of a mess when you think about it. What does horse-riding have to do with proper statecraft, the ability to navigate social pitfalls and language skills? It's like they took three related skills, then two other semi-related skills, and mashed them all together in one confusing hodgepodge.

The intent is that Eclipses are diplomats and so they get the travel tools save for Survival, which is the one that ensures that you survive the journey, because hardship in the desert is a Zenith thing I guess? Never mind that surviving in the desert was trivial for any mortal who had a single dot in Survival because the associated rules were awful.

Sail is especially problematic because it requires the party to be in a ship / move around ships to have any narrative impact. It would be like splitting Siege Weapons off from Thrown/Ranged: huge impact in a story that centers around warfare, otherwise forgettable. One catch-all Travel skill would be an improvement, as it'd still be optional—you can travel in someone else's vehicle or use transportation Sorcery—but would have a broad domain and a lot of space for tricks.

Keeping the attribute and ability spread unchanged was the first big disappointment from 3rd Edition for me.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 29, 2014

• Locked thread