Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
A new Black Watchmen ARG has started.

quote:

Although this new IP is completely independent from The Secret World storyline, Human Equation plans to offer special rewards to TSW players who join the Black Watchmen universe. They also plan to recognize previous lifetime subscription members and past ARG players with tailored packages.

Here's another article.

So far there's been one puzzle and a guy on the Unfiction forums won $100 from the creator for being the first to solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

A new Black Watchmen ARG has started.

Here's another article.

So far there's been one puzzle and a guy on the Unfiction forums won $100 from the creator for being the first to solve it.

Well I signed up but it doesn't ask for any TSW related info so I don't know how my being a lifetimer is going to benefit me.

Funcom is loving us again.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
"plans to" means they haven't implemented it yet, I believe. It only went live today or yesterday. Plus Funcom is involved in name-only from what I can gather.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

"plans to" means they haven't implemented it yet, I believe. It only went live today or yesterday. Plus Funcom is involved in name-only from what I can gather.

Shhhhh I want to keep blaming Funcom for things. I even blame them for bad days at work.

No. I don't have a problem.

Shut up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Shhhhh I want to keep blaming Funcom for things. I even blame them for bad days at work.

No. I don't have a problem.

Shut up.

This would probably fair if you actually worked at Funcom, though.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This would probably fair if you actually worked at Funcom, though.

A fate worse then death.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

A fate worse then death.

I survived it. Admittedly it was pretty touch and go for awhile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think I just got a phone call related to that new arg. Just a monotone female voice that said

quote:

1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 48 108 56 68 77 89 87 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5

Edit: At least I think I got those written down right. I had to scramble for a thing to write with.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The other numerical clues in the game have been converting decimal to ASCII. (For example: in the first puzzle "98 101 110 103 97 108" translated to "Bengal") The 1-5 counts just signal start and end of message. It's possible you got some digits wrong with that one though because it translated to "0l8DMYW", which doesn't make a lot of sense.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 21, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress The Eye of Horus. Forget to refresh your buff in the middle of combat because you're IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT!? gently caress you, you don't get credit you piece of poo poo. The quests are quickly taking a nosedive, please tell me Transylvania picks up again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

gently caress The Eye of Horus. Forget to refresh your buff in the middle of combat because you're IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT!? gently caress you, you don't get credit you piece of poo poo. The quests are quickly taking a nosedive, please tell me Transylvania picks up again.

Yeah, it does. CotSG is kind of a low point, but it picks up after that.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Egypt is the worst, especially City of sun god. Transylvania is much better.

e: Egypt being lovely/boring made me quit TSW until a friend convinced me to group up and run through the story missions so I could get to Transylvania. gently caress Egypt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

cthulhoo posted:

Egypt is the worst, especially City of sun god. Transylvania is much better.

e: Egypt being lovely/boring made me quit TSW until a friend convinced me to group up and run through the story missions so I could get to Transylvania. gently caress Egypt.

The Scorched Desert is pretty good, with some really awesome NPCs. It's a very different tone from the rest of the game, but still pretty good.

CotSG falters in pretty much all categories, though.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I liked that one mummified guy in the Scorched Desert. He was alright.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I might be the only person who enjoyed CoTSG more than BS. I just liked the sense of isolation. It's definitely a bitch to get around, though. A little bit more planning with the quest crumb trail would have made a world of difference, because if you want to do all of the quests, you need to backtrack a fair bit.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I love the area and the story and the thematic stuff to it, it's just that the quests in that area are all awful and getting around it sucks. I really find the area COOLASFUCK though.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The key to quickly moving around an ancient Egyptian god realm is to get naked and kill yourself.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Brain In A Jar posted:

The key to quickly moving around an ancient Egyptian god realm is to get naked and kill yourself.

That method works for most of TSW, thankfully.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A long time ago a goon got me the entrance portal check point to Trans, so I can skip the content before. I wanna do all of the side missions in Trans, but I wanna do it with another goon because going solo in this game is so boring.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

If you're finding the mission content boring, perhaps this is not the game for you.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zephonith posted:

If you're finding the mission content boring, perhaps this is not the game for you.

I found the zerg content boring, is the game not for me? :devil:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HughGRect posted:

Believe it or not, you're in the larger group. While the world bosses are generally popular (and Flappy's the most popular of them), people prefer fights with actual complexity in them, that they can actually run, and when given the choice they'd prefer 5-man instances like Niflheim-Hel.

The world boss-loving forum pubbies don't like seeing that.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

HughGRect posted:

That must be why you're playing Star Trek Online instead!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zephonith posted:

That must be why you're playing Star Trek Online instead!

My STO phase is over, I dipped my toe into EverQuest Next Landmark and Path of Exile.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

My STO phase is over, I dipped my toe into EverQuest Next Landmark and Path of Exile.

You would be less self-destructive as a raging alcoholic.

Snood Dogg
Sep 26, 2013
My first reaction when walking into CotSG was that it was like Mordor, giant glowing eye thing, evil guy whose followers are trying to awaken him, death and destruction everywhere. And then I remembered we just walked in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zephonith posted:

It's not that, it's that playing a MMO by yourself is dumb.

MMO's that make most of their content soloable are poorly designed and completely missing the point. I think virtually every single MMO could have actually been turned into a single player game instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I said come in! posted:

MMO's that make most of their content soloable are poorly designed and completely missing the point.

No, they're modern. Forced grouping is a thankfully-dead relic of the late 90s/early 00s.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

No, they're modern. Forced grouping is a thankfully-dead relic of the late 90s/early 00s.

200+ hours of fetch and kill quests all done completely by yourself. There is nothing about this that hints at being well designed. It's amazing at grabbing suckers to pay money for no substance though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I said come in! posted:

200+ hours of fetch and kill quests all done completely by yourself.

There actually isn't many of those. There's a reasonable amount where one of the steps is 'kill X amount of things in this location', that's rarely the entire quest, it's usually just part of a larger thing with an actual story.

I'm already tired of arguing today from the official forums, though. Claretta is the worst loving arguer; she doesn't actually make any points beyond personal evidence, and she just completely ignores evidence and logic that goes against what she thinks. It ends up a very circular 'debate', because she keeps treading the same ground and ignoring arguments against it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Look, all I wanna do is shoot the poo poo on Mumble while playing this game with goons. The group content is fun but it's only made fun by being around you guys. I'm giving a round about way to say I want more interaction with other goons.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

You played WoW, right? Remember when it was the end of WotLK and there was only Icecrown Citadel and no other content apart from piecemeal half-assed compromises for an entire year?

Now imagine there's no ICC, it's been 18 months, and Blizzard have been telling you that ICC will be ready 'any day now'.

Now imagine running Heroic Nexus, Violet Hold, and the Easy Viking Dungeon every single day for marginal increments to your numbers and try to guess why there isn't a sizable goon presence just hanging out in the mumble playing this game 24/7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brain In A Jar posted:

You played WoW, right? Remember when it was the end of WotLK and there was only Icecrown Citadel and no other content apart from piecemeal half-assed compromises for an entire year?

Now imagine there's no ICC, it's been 18 months, and Blizzard have been telling you that ICC will be ready 'any day now'.

Now imagine running Heroic Nexus, Violet Hold, and the Easy Viking Dungeon every single day for marginal increments to your numbers and try to guess why there isn't a sizable goon presence just hanging out in the mumble playing this game 24/7.

... Ooh. :( Now I get it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brain In A Jar posted:

I had a REALLY boring day at work yesterday and spent a lot of time thinking about Tokyo and what we know about it. Allow me to make a lovely effort post detailing why I think even once Tokyo comes out we're going to be incredibly disappointed.

It is being released in three parts. Issues 9, 10 and 11 are all going to be Tokyo. Nine will give us the zone, ten a lair, and eleven a raid and the new dungeon.

Issue 9 is being released like 8 was. We get about half of it first and then the other half whenever they get around to finish it.

This hacked up bare bones issue 9? They're going to have a DLC 9.5 in the form of a mission pack to buy which Joel says is probably going to cost the same as other DLC so there's Funcom taking another month of points from us grandmasters. Which really isn't too big a deal since it's not like there's anything else to get with them.

So from reading the newsletters we get to find out Tokyo will be in three parts, part 1 will come in halves, then to get more missions beyond the story (at least that's how I read it) you'll have to buy those separate, issue 10 will have the lair and issue 11 the raid and new dungeon (supposedly elite and nightmare will come together). So even though Tokyo will be here "soon" it probably won't be done until next year.

Feel free to correct me if the devs posted something on the forums stating otherwise.

But hey at least Tokyo was delayed for quality right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

Feel free to correct me if the devs posted something on the forums stating otherwise.

No, that's all about right. I think you might be slightly off the mark for the issue content, off the top of my head I recall Tokyo's being split into two zones for size reasons, so I think the span of it is...

Issue 9: Adds the zones, and the story.
Issue 10: Adds the love hotel, which is probably a dungeon? So my guess is that Issue 10 fleshes out the zones, adding the lairs and such.
Issue 11: Adds the Orochi Core content, which could be a dungeon or a raid, maybe both.
And I'd guess all of these add missions to the zones as well. An aux weapon wouldn't be out of the question somewhere along the line.

I think Funcom have developed an issue with underestimating their own content. They've already said they had to revise the zoning plans because it was too big for one zone to handle, so clearly that spilled out of hand. Scenarios were stalled because they ran into far more problems and bugs than they expected. Nusquam dropped into the forums a few days ago and said that apparently the Whispering Tide was only meant to last a month, so clearly that blew out of hand to a royal extent.

On the upside, we're definitely in the later stages (Tilty clarified that most of the remaining work is on the cinematic side of things; so most of it's there, it's just not pretty and doesn't make sense yet), and they've been working on all the Tokyo issues at the same time, so maybe if we're lucky it won't be that bad once it gets rolling...?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 23, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

No, that's all about right. I think you might be slightly off the mark for the issue content, off the top of my head I recall Tokyo's being split into two zones for size reasons, so I think the span of it is...

Issue 9: Adds the zones, and the story.
Issue 10: Adds the love hotel, which is probably a dungeon? So my guess is that Issue 10 fleshes out the zones, adding the lairs and such.
Issue 11: Adds the Orochi Core content, which could be a dungeon or a raid, maybe both.
And I'd guess all of these add missions to the zones as well. An aux weapon wouldn't be out of the question somewhere along the line.

I think Funcom have developed an issue with underestimating their own content. They've already said they had to revise the zoning plans because it was too big for one zone to handle, so clearly that spilled out of hand. Scenarios were stalled because they ran into far more problems and bugs than they expected. Nusquam dropped into the forums a few days ago and said that apparently the Whispering Tide was only meant to last a month, so clearly that blew out of hand to a royal extent.

On the upside, we're definitely in the later stages (Tilty clarified that most of the remaining work is on the cinematic side of things; so most of it's there, it's just not pretty and doesn't make sense yet), and they've been working on all the Tokyo issues at the same time, so maybe if we're lucky it won't be that bad once it gets rolling...?

From the January letter:

quote:

The plan is that Issue #10 will further continue the story mission, introduce new friendly mission givers, as well as new monsters. It will open new areas within Tokyo, including a mall, and... the "Love hotel" which will take advantage of our current Mature rating. It will also include an area that will provide several hints regarding the future destination of all our secret agents.

quote:

Issue #11 features primarily the Orochi Tower. This will mark the end of the first chapter of the TSW story, and will include an epic end of chapter fight, and a big reveal.

The lower levels of the Tower will also add both a new dungeon (with an Elite and Nightmare mode) and a new raid.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I am incapable of understanding the disparity between quests here. In Kingsmouth and Valley, three people doing a "kill x y" part of a quest would all get credit for doing it. In City, it seems to loving round robin who gets credit and then you have to MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HIM SELECTED OR YOU GET NONE OF IT and then also gently caress you if your Eye of Horus runs out in that other quest and...

Did they outsource this poo poo? Kingsmouth and even Valley were loving GREAT, and then this is all horrendously different. The writing is still awesome but the mechanics are nearly broken.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

It's been at least a year or two since I've touched it. Was an old lifetime subby. Was present at the first ever world boss fight. Anyway, I picked it up again the other day and was pleased to find I had a ton of funbux stored up and more unsolved green quests than I can handle.

Looks like this still has good goon activity, so I'd like to start playing again. I'm still in the old cabal. Is there an express route to getting into the new one?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ruzihm posted:

It's been at least a year or two since I've touched it. Was an old lifetime subby. Was present at the first ever world boss fight. Anyway, I picked it up again the other day and was pleased to find I had a ton of funbux stored up and more unsolved green quests than I can handle.

Looks like this still has good goon activity, so I'd like to start playing again. I'm still in the old cabal. Is there an express route to getting into the new one?

The only cabal that has a new version is Templar so if you're Templar you'll have to talk to Hugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I clicked the live forums and this is a thread that exists.

And about getting not lovely scenarios?

Joel posted:

Nothing to add - nobody is working on them until after the first Tokyo issue is shipped.

This is kind of amusing though. http://captiongenerator.com/14378/Nusquam-A-Day-In-the-Office It's that Hitler video that did the rounds a few years back with whimsical captions only with a Funcom twist.

So yeah. We won't get any new scenarios until sometime after Tokyo. So probably what...Christmas?

• Locked thread