Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think I've reached the point where Parks and Recreation feels depressing instead of upbeat. The characteristics of the show/town/characters have started feeling oppressive instead of funny.

I also realize I am likely arriving at this conclusion about a season and a half late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, that was about when I had the same feeling and stopped watching it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Man Parenthood is brutal tonight.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cancer? Divorce? What happened?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

I think I've reached the point where Parks and Recreation feels depressing instead of upbeat. The characteristics of the show/town/characters have started feeling oppressive instead of funny.

I also realize I am likely arriving at this conclusion about a season and a half late.
There hasn't been much of a major "victory" for about that period of time. It's all been moral or ethical wins while the town continues to poo poo on them. There's not much else they can really do with Leslie at this point other than have her leave it all eventually.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Cancer? Divorce? What happened?

Divorce kids saying they are the reason their parents broke up and poor Max realized that he is an outcast in a pretty bad way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was hoping Max died. drat.

Did Haddie die off-screen?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Haddie's been off-screen for a while, but she'll be back sometime around the finale.

I dunno, this season has been okay, but the Joel/Julia plotline is frustrating as hell.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

MrAristocrates posted:

I think the recall was the final realization that "this town really does suck, and there's no reason to feel optimistic anymore."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Pretty much. P&R has become the caricature of Small Town America that it initially tried to refute. It's "upbeatness" has been pathological for the last two seasons. The constant reinforcement of Leslie Knope's worth has long since shifted from "supportive" to "talking her down off a ledge."

I still generally enjoy it, but it's not what it was or what it wants to be.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SUPERNATURAL S05 completed. Very anticlimactic in many ways, the arc barely staying on the rails, but the narrative play with Lucifer and Sam was interesting and Ackles gave some great act. The very end with Sam's reward being granted to watch Dean's new, ordinary life was a cherry touch. Very Moses. Overall, an 8/10 run that was worth its burdens.

Thanks to those who offered feedback on what good lies ahead but for now I can't imagine anything that could accentuate for the better the five seasons I just saw.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm on season 7 now, and like I said before, the individual episodes in season 6 are still pretty good although the overarching plots are meandering garbage that mostly get unceremoniously dropped. It seems to bother some people but I've always thought the overarching plots have been pretty weak compared to the MOTWs. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the various deities are just arbitrarily "more powerful" than each other in a way that might as well be DBZ power levels.

zoux posted:

She said they get reevaluated at 18.

One gets the impression that "reevaluated" just means "determined to still be guilty of whatever petty poo poo they've been in prison for and shot into space anyway." The main character girl shouldn't have been so terrified of the prospect if there was some likelihood they would've just let her out of space jail.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Divorce kids saying they are the reason their parents broke up and poor Max realized that he is an outcast in a pretty bad way.
My parents divorced when I was 4 and I've literally never considered blaming myself for it. Am I just weird?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Sydney was blaming Victor for the divorce and not herself. And Victor comes from a broken home so he's more likely to believe it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow, so all things considered, the pilot for The 100 was pretty good. I think it might go somewhere.

Why am I more interested in that and Reign when I haven't even gotten around to starting Black Sails or House of Cards season 2? :wtc:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I don't know. Why am I barreling through 24 when I haven't watched True Detective?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

scary ghost dog posted:

I don't know. Why am I barreling through 24 when I haven't watched True Detective?

Because even if it's not better written it's definitely more fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Because Jack Bauer is the loving man.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sober posted:

Wow, so all things considered, the pilot for The 100 was pretty good. I think it might go somewhere.

Agreed. That was much better than I thought it would be. The clips from the rest of the season look interesting too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Party Plane Jones posted:

Jesus, Sirens is absurdly graphic for a USA show.
How so?

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Are you serious about The 100? It was complete garbage, but super hilarious. Hey teen model daughter in jail with perfect hair and face, let me hold you while you get shot, cue to 100 teen models and an older model get sent to CGI planet, or is he part of the 100? Are they 98 or 99 at this point?, immediately gang up on the only black kid because he was born, get attacked by snakes that scratch and laugh about it literally 10 seconds later.
I won't rewatch the pilot 'cus these things are only funny once, but I'm sure I saw Mr Gaeta in the beginning and then I lost track of him, whatever happened? Evil Desmond was also funny as all hell. Haven't watched a show that bad since 4400, what is it with numbers?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Elijah Snow posted:

Are you serious about The 100? It was complete garbage, but super hilarious. Hey teen model daughter in jail with perfect hair and face, let me hold you while you get shot, cue to 100 teen models and an older model get sent to CGI planet, or is he part of the 100? Are they 98 or 99 at this point?, immediately gang up on the only black kid because he was born, get attacked by snakes that scratch and laugh about it literally 10 seconds later.
I won't rewatch the pilot 'cus these things are only funny once, but I'm sure I saw Mr Gaeta in the beginning and then I lost track of him, whatever happened? Evil Desmond was also funny as all hell. Haven't watched a show that bad since 4400, what is it with numbers?

Tell me more about how actors being pretty makes you mad :allears:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sounds like you went in looking for things to hate and created problems where there were none. Good job.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I find it more interesting that the CW of all places is doing more sci-fi/concept shows and having them be good or decent. God bless them for it.

Also, for Parenthood, the whole reason the Joel/Julia thing feels strained is because the show A) did this before and B) had to make Julia look really bad to get to this point. Joel gave up his career for the kids and then when Julia was asked to do the same, couldn't handle it and dragged Joel down a bit.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

There doesn't seem to be a the One Hundred thread so :words:

The title of the show is pronounced The Hundred, not The One Hundred.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Well Sydney was blaming Victor for the divorce and not herself. And Victor comes from a broken home so he's more likely to believe it.

I haven't watched Parenthood regularly in a couple seasons because it got to be way too much of a downer, but I'm guessing they split up because Julia is a horrible loving person who pushes herself on everybody around her. Am I far off base?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joramun posted:

The title of the show is pronounced The Hundred, not The One Hundred.

Don't gently caress with my head canon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elijah Snow posted:

Actually they hate the black kid because his dad is in charge and enforces their law of death penalty for any crime. But also lol too many pretty people on TV :goonsay:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Actually they hate the black kid because his dad is in charge and enforces their law of death penalty for any crime. But also lol too many pretty people on TV :goonsay:

Goons, I suggest our fat neckbearded asses take over television. Arrow, sure let's watch a 300 pound archer with half a fu-manchu break the poo poo out of Slade Wilson.

Supernatural? Here we go!

It's time to reform the CW!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean it is a bit :raise: that the token black kid's dad is in charge and is a horrible unfeeling tyrant and all who sent his own kid to die on a hostile planet, but yeah, saying they're ganging up on him because he's the token black kid is just plain wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they're obviously setting up the chancellor to be an actual Good Dude doing What He Has To to save humanity, so I'm sure were supposed to root for him over Henry Ian Cusick. Also, why is Henry Ian Cusick doing an American accent????

I thought the two faced deer was creepy and cool.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ravane posted:

Goons, I suggest our fat neckbearded asses take over television. Arrow, sure let's watch a 300 pound archer with half a fu-manchu break the poo poo out of Slade Wilson.

Supernatural? Here we go!

It's time to reform the CW!

"Walter White should have been played by Chace Crawford." --Ravane

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Somehow I'm pretty okay with attractive people on television, it's not realistic, but then again, nothing else on tv is. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Well they're obviously setting up the chancellor to be an actual Good Dude doing What He Has To to save humanity, so I'm sure were supposed to root for him over Henry Ian Cusick.

Oh, no doubt they are, but I'm not sure how they plan to reconcile that with the fact that he's clearly had a history of shooting people into space (which is really a pretty hosed up way to die) for petty offenses, including the main girl's dad for exposing the flaw in the space station that will eventually kill everyone.

Austrian mook posted:

Somehow I'm pretty okay with attractive people on television, it's not realistic, but then again, nothing else on tv is. :v:

I don't get the rage against pretty people on TV either. On the one hand I hate to support the notion that you can only make it as an actor if you look a certain way and are the right color, but on the other hand, if I wanted to see ugly people I could just look in the mirror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's pretty common in scifi in situations where the entire civilization is in danger to have extremely draconian laws in the name of continued existence. At first I was like, hmmm capital punishment for everything seems dumb as hell, then I realized population reduction is a desirable goal in this context.

I'm not going to become The 100 White Knight because I'm not super invested in this show, and there was plenty of dumb poo poo and pretty tired archetype characters but it was interesting enough that I'll at least check out the next episode.

lol this is Patton Oswalt in the 6th grade:

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 21, 2014

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm not going to become The 100 White Knight

This one?

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I'm not raging goonsay about the pretty kids, I just thought it was funny seeing the beautiful girl escaping beautifully out of the water and laughing about it. I guess you could argue that if we're dumbing down humanity to a few hundred people on a spacestation, they should have the prettiest bestest genes of all and also full supplies of makeup and tweezers.
The two faced deer was the coolest character, I hope it makes a return. A carnivorous return.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Elijah Snow posted:

The two faced deer was the coolest character, I hope it makes a return. A carnivorous return.

"You either die a deer or live long enough to see yourself twice." - TwoFace Deer

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I almost want to watch the one hundreds now just because of all these dumb arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoiler alert: It's the 97 now.

• Locked thread