Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

So would like to add a set of these guys to my proxy order. I definitely need them for Modern.

I'll make some extras. Btw the rest of yours are printed but I ran out of glue. Had to order it, should be here tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

L0cke17 posted:

But they have already removed so many of the unique powerful interactions. A 4/4 Vigilant Lifelinker on turn 3 is too strong, Jace is banned, despite the overabundance of Lightning Bolt. Plus WotC's kneejerk reaction to everything has been to ban everything remotely good or fun. I made the terrible mistake of playing three different decks in Modern before I wised up and quit (12-post, Eggs, Storm), every one of which had key cards banned within a few months. Admittedly, I started with Legacy, then tried out modern afterwards so it didn't hurt too bad, but it was still incredibly frustrating. Instead of banning those decks, they should have unbanned the answers to them (Top, Jace etc) or printed answers like Force and Daze. Also the fact that mana-denial isn't a viable strategy is frustrating as well.

They didn't cripple Eggs because it was broken, they crippled Eggs because it hosed up tournaments logistically by having one extra turn that can last ten minutes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So before we all get swept up in the next week's tournaments I want to give a shout out to our gaming crew that swept the top four of SCG Seattle legacy last week. Great job Greg, Rob, Batman, and Rupes! It feels awesome to see our work pay off after such close losses in earlier tournaments.

Also everyone try as hard as you can to be a social person and link up with players. Having friends to cube with, borrow cards from, share on rides and hotel for trips to tourneys with, strategize on fb while bored at work with, test with, and go drinking with or just gently caress around and bs magic stuff is so much more rewarding than just occasionally playing matches. Especially if you can put up some results!

Go team Legendstech!

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Another cool factoid in the Magic Online newsletter. I like when they do these.

quote:

Ten Highest Modern Win % Since BNG (Minimum 50 Matches):
  1. LordCommanderSnow
  2. Smdster
  3. manaflood
  4. sakimmd
  5. kogamo
  6. Nosferatu
  7. sneakattackkid
  8. nrjets99
  9. Kibler
  10. Mordo Ty Moja

Smdster is Sam Pardee. Kibler is Brian Kibler. Nosferatu was number five on a previous highest win percentage in 8-4 drafts list, but I don't know who they are. I recognized the name sneakattackkid, so I looked it up, and it's James Beltz. He must do videos or something, since I don't recognize his real name.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So before we all get swept up in the next week's tournaments I want to give a shout out to our gaming crew that swept the top four of SCG Seattle legacy last week. Great job Greg, Rob, Batman, and Rupes! It feels awesome to see our work pay off after such close losses in earlier tournaments.

Also everyone try as hard as you can to be a social person and link up with players. Having friends to cube with, borrow cards from, share on rides and hotel for trips to tourneys with, strategize on fb while bored at work with, test with, and go drinking with or just gently caress around and bs magic stuff is so much more rewarding than just occasionally playing matches. Especially if you can put up some results!

Go team Legendstech!

Wait, you were one of the dorks in the construction crew orange shirts? :v:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You know it :3:

Honestly they are actually useful for making out where everyone is across a big gaming hall mostly.

On Sunday those of us who went 1-2 drop went out to the best bar in washington state, discovered that their weekend 'brunch', included $3 bloody mary's and went till 4:00 (!!). Then, amazingly drunk, we made it back to the hall and did a side 8 man draft where I and my friend made it to the finals to the sober players' great disgust, then cheered on the rest of the team who were in contention.

It was a great day.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Well, I'm off the forums for a day and the card catalog discussion gets pushed down by pointless format-bickering.

I bought my catalog from a seller on Craigslist. I subscribed to the for-sale category rss feed for 'card catalog', and after a year or so this one came up. It was being sold by somebody that had clearly bought an entire estate that they were liquidating. They had two, the other was %50 bigger, but did not come apart. Mine separates into 3 pieces, and the legs and top come off. I paid $450, which was an awesome deal computed to the antiques I've seen online.

If you are really interested, I'd go to your nearest antique district and ask in each store for their furniture person and give them your info and a description of what your want. Then if somebody comes in with one to sell then the store will pick it up for you. You'll pay a premium, but you'll be able to see it in person and get it in-town.

The drawers in mine are exactly 2 cards wide, with space for a one card slid between as a divider. The drawers didn't have a metal bar running through the original cards, instead there is a metal bar running the length of the drawer flush with the bottom. There's a sliding plate that clamps onto the bar and is held in place with a spring clamp. It can be moved the full length of the drawer to keep any number of cards upright, as long as there are similar numbers in each row.

The biggest problem with mine is that about 10 drawers are from some other piece and don't match and don't have the same nice holder. When it comes time to fill those I'll have to figure out a solution. At least they fit just right.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

That sounds really awesome, can you take some photos?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

ShadeofBlue posted:

That sounds really awesome, can you take some photos?
Sure. Remind me next week when I'll be able to.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

BaronVonVaderham posted:

So I play Brimaz in the sideboard of my Bant Walkers deck. I needed tokens, which I feel obligated to share here:

Those are my cats. I made them armor tonight :3:
You are my favorite. Don't ever change.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Someone post the Craig Wescoe doesn't wash his hands after taking a poo poo episode to #mtgstories !

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Murdergoats trip report:
The deck isn't complete yet but I decided to throw in some Shocks and Magma Jets and hope the wheels don't come off.

First Round against Izzet 2-1
He played some weird Nivmagus deck by casting Cipher stuff on them and then exiling the copy for more counters. It worked in game 2, the other 2 games I actually drew creature destruction and he didn't stand a chance.

Second Round against U/W Control 0-2
I was really looking forward to this one since I've never played against this deck, unfortunately for me I wasn't sharp enough to pull out a draw. Game one I kept up pretty well untill he finally managed to stick an Elspeth and I couldn't get rid of her. During the game he countered everything I played, poo poo happens. Second game he got Elspeth down and I never drew any destruction, in the end he had an army of tokens and I had a Rakdos Charm in hand. I was one damage short of killing him due to a misplay on my side and lost the second game as time was called.

Third Round against Boros 0-2
I got run over by T2 BTE and Frostburn, T3 Nyktos double Frostburn, T4 God and Hammer. It happened twice and he rubbed in a Fanatic of Mogis for good measure.

Fourth Round against RG Monsters 0-2
There were so many threaths I just didn't have enough removal to deal with all of them, Xenagos, Xenagod, Chandra, Domri, Stormbreath and Polukranos.

All in all I like playing the deck and can't wait till it's finally complete and I get some more experience playing it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Literally The Worst posted:

They didn't cripple Eggs because it was broken, they crippled Eggs because it hosed up tournaments logistically by having one extra turn that can last ten minutes.

I think this is the cue to bring up the one tournament story where an eggs player started going off and his opponent called for a judge to watch the match so he could go to the bathroom without worrying about the other guy cheating.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

I think this is the cue to bring up the one tournament story where an eggs player started going off and his opponent called for a judge to watch the match so he could go to the bathroom without worrying about the other guy cheating.

It was Kibler and he did it on camera. He also had a slip of paper with the f-key that passes priority until end of turn on Modo on it that he laid down and then sat back.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

It was Kibler and he did it on camera. He also had a slip of paper with the f-key that passes priority until end of turn on Modo on it that he laid down and then sat back.

Was he wrong? Was it a fun deck to play against?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Are you saying he drew the F and just tapped it when his opponent had to pass priority in an actual Paper Magic game?

That's kind of hilarious and I have more respect for the guy now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Are you saying he drew the F and just tapped it when his opponent had to pass priority in an actual Paper Magic game?

F6 passes priority for the rest of the turn. So presenting that piece of paper would be Kibler's way of saying "I don't want to / can't interact with you any more this turn, do your thing man".

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I enjoyed watching Cifka play Eggs that one tournament. It's just a shame there wasn't a way to shortcut certain things to speed it up. There is still Krark-Clan Ironworks combo in modern that's fun to pull out from time to time that does similar things.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

No, he didn't literally F6 or have any slip of paper like it. He asked a Judge (Riki Hayashi) to step in for him during eggs iterations and said that he got to F6 in real life.

This is the written coverage.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Zoness posted:

No, he didn't literally F6 or have any slip of paper like it. He asked a Judge (Riki Hayashi) to step in for him during eggs iterations and said that he got to F6 in real life.

This is the written coverage.

He did have a slip of paper with F6 written on it in one match actually

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

netcat posted:

He did have a slip of paper with F6 written on it in one match actually

I believe that was in the Quarterfinals, incidentally that match is the only Quarters match from PT San Diego that doesn't have written coverage on the motherboard.

Anyway, given that the slip of paper was in the Quarterfinals, I probably misassigned which Eggs matchup it was based on camera Feature match as opposed to written Feature match. But the slip of paper and the Judge Stand-In were separate incidents.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jassi007 posted:

I love Eggs but no he was not wrong at all and it was in fact hilarious.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

You remember all that belly-aching earlier about "interactive" and "non-interactive" as deck labels. Well "eggs" falls under the "non-interactive" umbrella. The deck literally just plays cheap artifacts in cantrips until it has a critical mass, and then takes a 30 minute turn to kill the opponent. Moreover, the entire combo can be done at instant speed, so it was often a good idea to go-off during an opponent's upkeep, or in response to their disruption, often meaning the opponent has no relevant interaction. So if the egg's player is going off, your choices are either to scoop, or sit their for thirty minutes and wait for either your opponent to kill you, fizzle or gently caress up. 95% of the time, they kill you, but that five percent means you are going to just sit there and watch them stroke their deck over and over again in masturbatory revelry.

Now mind you, it was an insanely fun deck to play, but play against.....not so much.

edit-I should mention, I actually like the existence of these sorts of fast, non-interactive combo decks as "checks" on a format, however I dislike this one as the combo process was long and boring, unlike something like omni-tell or belcher that, once they've assembled their combo, win quite rapidly.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 21, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The best part was that Kibler got back to the table just in time to lose game 1 and then crushed his opponent games two and three.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I am a few pages late on this one, but Mazes end did not really benefit at all from Born of the Gods. Kiorra is a trap, she takes up space that could be used for a mass draw spell or a board wiper. Courser is just not a good fit in the deck at all. The only change post BNG is to run at least 2 negates/dissolves mainboard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Would Talara's Battalion see play if it was released in JOU?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Korak posted:

On what grounds? Talara's Battalion was thought of as 'possibly insane' when it was first previewed but never saw play because that casting cost was really restrictive in a format with Thoughtseize, while the ElfBall decks that could have wanted to play it didn't need it as a win condition. Also Tarmogoyf existed as a 2-drop in TSP-LOR standard while green decks in LOR-ALA leaned more on Kitchen Finks, Putrid Leech, and Great Sable Stag as their '3-drops'.

I don't think Talara's Battalion would remotely make sense in JOU - there's nothing that really supports casting it early, barring BTE, and it's not at a great place in the curve. It's also a miserable topdeck in an empty grip in a format where Thoughtseize runs rampant.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Korak posted:

It can be cast off the back of a Burning Tree Emissary. It would absolutely see play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

It can be cast off the back of a Burning Tree Emissary. It would absolutely see play.

BTE -> Batallion seems ridiculous and totally something GR Monsters might do

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zoness posted:

On what grounds? Talara's Battalion was thought of as 'possibly insane' when it was first previewed but never saw play because that casting cost was really restrictive in a format with Thoughtseize, while the ElfBall decks that could have wanted to play it didn't need it as a win condition. Also Tarmogoyf existed as a 2-drop in TSP-LOR standard while green decks in LOR-ALA leaned more on Kitchen Finks, Putrid Leech, and Great Sable Stag as their '3-drops'.

I don't think Talara's Battalion would remotely make sense in JOU - there's nothing that really supports casting it early, barring BTE, and it's not at a great place in the curve. It's also a miserable topdeck in an empty grip in a format where Thoughtseize runs rampant.
That's why I asked, too many people get wrapped up in what happened last time a card was in Standard instead of evaluating it in a new meta. Also indeed BTE -> Talara would be a very good thing to do one turn 2.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

BTE -> Batallion seems ridiculous and totally something GR Monsters might do

I don't think it would - one of GR Monsters' stronger lines is ramping to a T3 Polukranos and Battalion actually conflicts with playing rampdorks. GR Monsters is strong in that it peels a lot of live cards when it draws, and Battalion has a high risk of ending up being a dead card when your other cards are high cost fatties and your best card is red.

A hypothetical Battalion would be more likely to see play in G/R Aggro shell with BTE, Experiment One, and Ghor-Clan Rampager that depended on really fast, explosive draws.

Korak posted:

That's why I asked, too many people get wrapped up in what happened last time a card was in Standard instead of evaluating it in a new meta. Also indeed BTE -> Talara would be a very good thing to do one turn 2.

A lot of what was true in that meta is still true for this one, like Thoughtseize and 3-toughness targetting removal being in one of the more commonly played decks and creatures existing at 3-drop and 4-drop that aren't favorable trades. There's no Finks or Goyf or Nameless Inversion but there's Reckoner, Polukranos, and Bile Blight.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 21, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Why are we talking about Talara's Batallion (or technically speaking a functional reprint, presumably) in the first place? Did Korak just pick a random-rear end older card, or am I brainfarting on some point that causes it to make sense?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
4-1 at FNM for 4th place tonight.

For all its faults, Selesnya Aggro is still terrifyingly fast, which works wonders against the usual durdly stuff I see at FNM.

I might do a full writeup latet, phoneposting right now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So I was reading a Brad Nelson Article when I stumbled upon this tidbit:

quote:

Mutavault is the most oppressive card I've ever seen in a Standard format. That's because the card is unbelievably good. Mutavault allows a deck to play enough lands to cast five-drops and also not suffer from flooding out due to running such a high land count. This makes the format much more aggressive than normal due to the fact that when players don't draw their bigger spells, they end up attacking with Mutavault to get in some damage.

Now, the latter part of the analysis is pretty reasonable, but the opening sentence raises a question - what's the most oppressive card ever to plague a standard format for any amount of time?

I believe Memory Jar is excluded from consideration here considering it was banned before the first PT it was legal for.

My vote is tied between Skullclamp and Jitte - mostly due to consideration for being used in multiple decks. Psychatog, Academy, JTMS, and Lin Sivvi were all really busted cards but didn't necessarily see play in every deck in their formats. If you want to discount Skullclamp because it was banned after one tournament then Jitte takes the trophy by storm.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Almost definitely Jitte; according to legend, creatureless decks were running maindeck Jittes just to legend rule other people's Jittes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't skullclamp banned before the set even released, or is that just legend, too? Something about them making the -1 change at the last minute to make it "worse" and realizing what a busted deal it was after it was too late to pull back.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Wasn't skullclamp banned before the set even released, or is that just legend, too? Something about them making the -1 change at the last minute to make it "worse" and realizing what a busted deal it was after it was too late to pull back.
I believe it was originally +1/+0 and changed to +1/-1 right before release.

Also, it was banned after some regional/national events:

Aaron Forsythe posted:

Look, for example, at the Top 8 decks from Ohio Valley Regionals. Or at those from the more recent German Nationals. Combined, those 16 decks contained 58 out of a possible 64 Skullclamps. Never in my memory have I ever seen a card show up in those numbers.

58/64 - now that's oppression!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Huxley posted:

Skullclamp got banned something like 3-6 months after release.

My favorite skullclamp fact is that the card was so good that the tooth and nail deck warped itself to be filled with mana dorks instead of noncreature ramp just so it could play the clamp.

Edit: how did there end up being 58, who plays only two clamps

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Edit: how did there end up being 58, who plays only two clamps

I did a count and there was one Goblins list in Germany and one Affinity List in the Ohio Valley that played 3 clamps. There was also a R/G stompy list with no clamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

JerryLee posted:

Why are we talking about Talara's Batallion (or technically speaking a functional reprint, presumably) in the first place? Did Korak just pick a random-rear end older card, or am I brainfarting on some point that causes it to make sense?
Was looking at some older deck lists and saw it. Thought it'd be a fun thing to talk about. A card that looked good but wasn't in the meta it was created in, but if it was reprinted next set would probably see a decent amount of play.

Zoness posted:

I did a count and there was one Goblins list in Germany and one Affinity List in the Ohio Valley that played 3 clamps. There was also a R/G stompy list with no clamps.
Who needs the second Clamp after you draw the first? :v:

• Locked thread