Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

So if I have things correct, the thread's top 5 picks are, in no particular order:

• Sumire
  • Seki-kun
  • Angel Densetsu
  • Centaur's Worries
  • Midori Days

With Hinamatsuri, being a comic with its own thread, as an unranked sixth.

Is that good?

That's a list that I can get behind. Man, I think 90% of my new pickups have come from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Seriously, Centaur's Worries is the best gem I picked out in this thread along with so many others

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Is that good?

No, because it leaves out Voynich Hotel. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nipponophile posted:

No, because it leaves out Voynich Hotel. :colbert:

Oh shoot. Voynich is pretty neat! I think Midori Days got more votes, overall, than Voynich, though Voynich scored higher on the rankings.

...I don't know how to score such polls! :(

Hell, let's make it a top six, then.

• Sumire
  • Seki-kun
  • Voynich
  • Centaur's Worries
  • Midori Days
  • Angel Densetsu

Agreed? If so, I'll get to updating the OP! :)

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Oh shoot. Voynich is pretty neat! I think Midori Days got more votes, overall, than Voynich, though Voynich scored higher on the rankings.

...I don't know how to score such polls! :(

Hell, let's make it a top six, then.

• Sumire
  • Seki-kun
  • Voynich
  • Centaur's Worries
  • Midori Days
  • Angel Densetsu

Agreed? If so, I'll get to updating the OP! :)

I don't think you should get too hung up on some specific number. The important thing is that people get introduced to cool manga. And I think just about everything recommended in the thread qualifies. If you think things might be too cluttered maybe only do full write-ups and images for the top five or so and a longer list of just text and a quick description for the rest.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, who cares? Just a listing of things the thread enjoys would be good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, I just don't want to throw every single thing into the OP. The first one had about five or six, so I'd like to keep it that way, is all.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Please consider making mention of Dowman's Nickelodeon series in your Voynich Hotel writeup. I think his short stories are absolutely amazing and thinking about it, one-chapter-long glimpses into a character's life is pretty slice-of-life.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

vkeios posted:

Please consider making mention of Dowman's Nickelodeon series in your Voynich Hotel writeup. I think his short stories are absolutely amazing and thinking about it, one-chapter-long glimpses into a character's life is pretty slice-of-life.

Just include Dowman as his own category. Dude is a weird and brilliant pervert.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I'd second the Dowman category. I have yet to read anything by him that I didn't like in one way or another. Sometimes it's grim, other times it's heartwarming, and it's often both.

Plus, his art's really soft on the eyes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New chapter of Flying Witch.

That line at the end slayed me.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Never trust a witch. :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just found this:

Wanko Number One

The story about your typical anime guy who after being dumped by her girlfriend by useless starts seeing the puppy he bought her as gift as a high school girl, but it only happens when is on his apartment; on the outside and for everyone else Wanko is a puppy.

Really cute and entertaining :allears:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hopefully that one doesn't go in a weird direction.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blhue posted:

Hopefully that one doesn't go in a weird direction.

I doubt it, but that kind of idea made the chapter in which Wanko is taken to the vet, hilarious :haw:

Oh almost forgot, is run on the same app(?) where Spoof on Titan is run and it seems to have an english version available, there is on chapter 11 while Mangahere only have until chapter 9

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
The potential for disaster with a premise like that is pretty much infinite, one can only hope it doesn't take a turn for the worse.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wow, mangabox's reader is terrible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blhue posted:

Wow, mangabox's reader is terrible.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of how old issues are lost forever, not even a premium option or anything.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just found this:

Wanko Number One

The story about your typical anime guy who after being dumped by her girlfriend by useless starts seeing the puppy he bought her as gift as a high school girl, but it only happens when is on his apartment; on the outside and for everyone else Wanko is a puppy.

Hey this is a nice find. Like Blhue says, hopefully it stays (as) innocent (as it can be).

Also, it's really rare that I get to say this, but I've got to give respect to the translator for doing such a great job. It's superbly done; the language sounds completely natural, and I can definitely get behind "Man's Bestest Friend". That's the kind of outside-the-box thinking I only wish I could pull off.

coathat
May 21, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of how old issues are lost forever, not even a premium option or anything.

Download the app and all you questions will be answered.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just found this:

Wanko Number One

Really cute and entertaining :allears:
The art style is very cute, but it feels vaguely like Morally Inept fanfiction. Sexy dog-bathing antics, ex-gf on dog groping - it feels like its going to a strange place.

Also the app is terrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Squidster posted:

The art style is very cute, but it feels vaguely like Morally Inept fanfiction. Sexy dog-bathing antics, ex-gf on dog groping - it feels like its going to a strange place.

Also the app is terrible.

Hard to tell, I'm hopeful than it will remain a cute slice of life since it constantly points than Wanko is a dog (and the lastest chapter was all about dog hijinks).

I have to admit than I though it was some kind of fanservice pandering bullshit but I was pleasently surprised when I read it, really worth of being followed and yes, the app sucks but you can found it on other places.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

coathat posted:

Unless I missed it, even the app lacked a chapter select option.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Blhue posted:

Unless I missed it, even the app lacked a chapter select option.
On Android, if you're viewing the most recent issue, you can tap on the top right to view previous chapters. But it doesn't have the first four chapters of dog-bothering on there, and sometimes you'll try to flip to the next page and get taken to some random manga instead.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I don't know about android but the iOS app is really good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

coathat posted:

Even the app doesn't have back issues past a certain date. You can see how each issue has an "available until *date*" tag on it. Unless I'm missing something past even that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The Digest section has more of the older chapters.

And since it's a magazine they are going to sell them eventually. You know like every other magazine does.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
After fiddling with it a bit, I found the chapter select on iOS. Seems to be where Squidster said it is on android; The top right has a button that brings up a menu and "Read another eipsode" is the last option. Typo and all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

coathat posted:

The Digest section has more of the older chapters.

And since it's a magazine they are going to sell them eventually. You know like every other magazine does.

Alright, so apparently my first experience with the app about a week ago I caught them at a bad time, because there had definitely been a gap between the digest and the currently available issues that doesn't seem to be there now, and that's what I was basing my complaints on. I checked again and the digest seems to have been updated so no more complaints from me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Seki-Kun

Seki :fireman:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sorry for the double post but:

More :haw: The manga

Things are finally getting somewhere, is so cute :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pretty light on the supernatural shenanigans this time around, but yeah that was fairly adorable. It'd be nice if things actually got moved along though I'm sure there'll be some problem. There's always some problem.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm looking for some images that pretty much sum up the weirdness/daily lifeness of Voynich Hotel in one page or less. Problem is, I've never actually really read much of Voynich Hotel!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

vkeios
May 7, 2007

If only there was a thread about it..

just posting the pics i used, there's probably better panels to use, but i loved these:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking for some images that pretty much sum up the weirdness/daily lifeness of Voynich Hotel in one page or less. Problem is, I've never actually really read much of Voynich Hotel!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

There was a pretty cool dude who made a post about it way back in the early days of this thread. If one were to look here, they might get what I'm talking about.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wait a moment, i think i know a good one. Sadly it's gonna be hard to find them, the chapters aren't exactly well labeled. :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
This one from the "convince someone to read a manga with one image" thread worked on me.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 26, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here we go, this is the one i meant.

Also, have another good one, although i cheated a bit on the image composition. Was posted earlier, but this is the full "exchange".

/edit: Screw it, have another one. There's so many good pages.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

If only I had archives... :allears:

quote:

I'll be using these! Thanks!

EDIT: The new OP is done!! I didn't make a new thread because a 24-page thread hardly needs a new one.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

New Seki-kun!

It's time to duel!

• Locked thread